[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bertilak

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by bertilak »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:46 am I'm not sure how much of the "problem" is my hearing (definitely possible, but not a problem in regular life... yet), the quality of the sound from the TV, or perhaps characters not speaking quite clearly in the first place.
We are of the age where hearing gets to be a problem, but it's not ALL our fault!

I think the sound quality delivered to us is often very bad. As a counter example, Amazon Prime productions generally have good sound and understandable dialog.

So, my equipment (amplifier, speakers, Roku) is very good (as demonstrated by Amazon Prime) but most other source material and my hearing are marginal. Lack of fidelity in the source material pushes my hearing over the edge.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

The thread is getting derailed about hearing. Let’s stay focused on tv shows.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Just watched the first 3 episodes of Wheel of Time on Amazon. So far, I am enjoying it. A little different from the books, didn’t really like the delay in introduction of Thom, but I understand they have to condense a 14 book series. The cgi for the magic is cool, and the Trolloc monsters are scary looking, as is the Eyeless. Hopefully it could be the next GOT. Also didn’t care for the way Matt obtained his dagger, but hopefully they will fill in some lore on it later.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

We are currently wrapping up season 3 of Sherlock from the BBC. Entertaining modern take on classic Sherlock Holmes stories.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

For those of us that enjoyed "The Missing", "Baptiste" is now available on Prime, but only through 11/30. Started it last night and DW and I will likely binge watch it this weekend as it's only 6 episodes long.
Thanks to the poster a number of pages back who made the connection between these 2 shows. It is part of the PBS library which we don't have access to.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

We really enjoyed Maid on Netflix. Stars Andie MacDowell's daughter and Andie MacDowell. Definitely a little depressing at times.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Just finished "Fleabag" Seasons 1 and 2 on Amazon Prime. Really enjoyed and hoping for a season 3. Great acting and I love the subtle but biting British sense of humor. Very short episodes and only 12 total, so it's a quick watch.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

Many favorites seem to be on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other streaming services. Just to break the trend, I’m going to go with some regular broadcast channels. I enjoy The Young Sheldon, The Blacklist, The Neighborhood , Bob Hearts Abishola, A Million Little Things, and Bluebloods. None of them are avant-garde and most are lighthearted. A Million Little Things may be somewhat “wok” where as Bluebloods is old school corny.

DMW
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Invasion, in progress series on Apple TV+. It follows the lives of five sets of people around the world as they face the varied challenges of an alien invasion of Earth. Keeping our attention. Not perfect, but interesting enough Hitchcock-like vision of the Third Encounter.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

"Startup" on Netflix. Pretty good.
Also, movie "The Harder They Fall". If you like "Kill Bill", you will probably like this one (actually has some "Kill Bill" references in it, but need to pay attention to spot 'em).
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

chipperd wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:23 am Also, movie "The Harder They Fall". If you like "Kill Bill", you will probably like this one (actually has some "Kill Bill" references in it, but need to pay attention to spot 'em).
FYI - Movies can be discussed in What Movie Have You Recently Watched?.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Just watched the first 3 Wheel of Time episodes based on the series of fantasy novels by Robert Jordan. It released on Amazon Prime last Friday. I had read the novels, and felt like the books dropped massively as time went on. But was hooked and wanted to see the ending and was interested in seeing how they did with the series.

The effects are fairly good, the story is OK, the acting is uneven but not as bad as some other fantasy series I've seen. My 20 something kids thought it was a really good show, I though it just decent. I believe like many adaptations of complicated stories, parts are rather hard to follow. And the story is a bit formulaic perhaps. Still worth a shot if you are interested in the fantasy genre.

[edit fixed name]
Last edited by Da5id on Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

In case someone is searching for the series, the title is under "The Wheel of Time". The release schedule is the first 3 episodes now, with a new episode every week.

I'll wait until the full season has been released (December 24, 2021). Details are in Wikipedia: The Wheel of Time (TV series)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Just finished episode 2 of Tiger King season 2 (there are only 5 episodes). This season has a completely different feel and focus (more of a where are they now and what happened to Carol's missing husband) and there is a chance that Netflix will have to pull the content depending on the result of a pending lawsuit (Carol Baskin has sued Netflix). Hoping to get thru the rest of the season in the next couple days.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

Elsebet wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:05 pm Just finished "Fleabag" Seasons 1 and 2 on Amazon Prime. Really enjoyed and hoping for a season 3. Great acting and I love the subtle but biting British sense of humor. Very short episodes and only 12 total, so it's a quick watch.
No season 3 planned at this point, unfortunately.
peppers

Post by peppers »

The Lost Symbol

Based on the book by Dan Brown. If you enjoyed the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons this series continues on with the Freemasons. We watched the entire season and were somewhat disappointed in the finale.

Foundation

A sci-fi series set in the distant future where humans have colonized the galaxy but are ruled by the Galactic Empire. Certain events take place and the empire's rule is eroding, genetic cloning plays a role in this. There is a fair bit of back and forth with time lines which can be confusing at times. We were not impressed with the season finale.

Viewed on Amazon
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Da5id wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:57 pm Just watched the first 3 Wheel of Time episodes based on the series of fantasy novels by Robert Jordan. It released on Amazon Prime last Friday. I had read the novels, and felt like the books dropped massively as time went on. But was hooked and wanted to see the ending and was interested in seeing how they did with the series.

The effects are fairly good, the story is OK, the acting is uneven but not as bad as some other fantasy series I've seen. My 20 something kids thought it was a really good show, I though it just decent. I believe like many adaptations of complicated stories, parts are rather hard to follow. And the story is a bit formulaic perhaps. Still worth a shot if you are interested in the fantasy genre.

[edit fixed name]
I read the books as well and I think there's a general consensus the series went off the rails around book 7. Sanderson did a good job finishing the last three books, after Jordan's death. I thought the story would have been great with seven or eight books, and would have benefitted from tighter editing (8000+ pages!! - maybe having his wife as editor at Tor was a mistake :? ) But, like you I found the books addictive and picked up each new one when they were released. I read sometime ago the showrunners were going to edit out a lot of the middle section, so that's good. Overall I thought it seemed rushed, but so far I'm happy with the first three episodes. Hopefully, when we get to the later books / episodes when they're not rushing around so much, the pace will slow and they can develop the story and characters more. The scenery is stunning and definitely a lot of work has gone into the production. I'd recommended the books some time back to my 33 year old daughter and she's liking the show so far. I started a reread a few months back and have made it to book 4 The Shadow Rising, the book with the Aiel back story. That's one hell of a book. I'm looking forward to seeing that in season 2 or 3.

If you haven't seen them, I recommend the bonus features that explain the background more, as well as the "Look Inside" of each episode shorts.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Streets of Dreams” with Marcus Lemonis on CNBC.

Really enjoyed it.

https://www.cnbc.com/streetsofdreams/

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

DW tched the entire Wentworth series and really liked it. Recently found they added about 5 unseen episodes to S8.
She thought it was great and kind of brings a closure to multi character story line. Last episode looks like their wont be any more.
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

Last show I watched... Yellowstone. Only made it through the first episode. Felt unnecessarily violent and overly dramatic. Great scenery though.

Recommended show: Doc Martin. Big city surgeon develops phobia of blood and relocates to a small fishing village. Very enjoyable with great characters and pacing.
Last edited by blueberrypi on Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We may be a bit late to the party, but DH decided that we really "should" give "Ted Lasso" a try.

There was something about it (not sure what) that had us thinking we wouldn't like it.
He wanted to give it a try, because of all of the awards (even though there are plenty of TV shows and movies that get tremendous awards and we just don't like them, etc.).

The first episode was intriguing, but we weren't yet captured. By the end of the second episode, we were glancing at each other, agreeing that this was definitely NOT what we were expecting.

And it's just grown on us. I don't know how many episodes we watched this evening! But tomorrow is Turkey Day, so no need to get up early...
We are hooked.
So many unexpected gems!

And we would just *love* to be a fly on the wall of the writers' room for this show! :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:43 pm We may be a bit late to the party, but DH decided that we really "should" give "Ted Lasso" a try.

There was something about it (not sure what) that had us thinking we wouldn't like it.
He wanted to give it a try, because of all of the awards (even though there are plenty of TV shows and movies that get tremendous awards and we just don't like them, etc.).

The first episode was intriguing, but we weren't yet captured. By the end of the second episode, we were glancing at each other, agreeing that this was definitely NOT what we were expecting.

And it's just grown on us. I don't know how many episodes we watched this evening! But tomorrow is Turkey Day, so no need to get up early...
We are hooked.
So many unexpected gems!

And we would just *love* to be a fly on the wall of the writers' room for this show! :happy

RM
Enjoy Season One. Season Two was just OK.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I'm watching "Ordinary Joe" on NBC.

"Ordinary Joe" has a novel approach of using 3 different timelines with the same characters. The lead character named Joe is a rock star, a policeman, and a nurse in the 3 respective timelines. The same people [and actors] are in all 3 timelines, but they have different relationships across the timelines, e.g. Joe is not married to the same person in each timeline.

The most obvious drawback is that this can be confusing. [It doesn't help that I missed the first 2 episodes.] They do try to help the viewer with visual cues, e.g. rock star Joe has a beard, nurse Joe wears glasses, etc. So far the show feels original and well-written [albeit confusing]. It remains to be seen if they can maintain the quality. [TV is littered with shows that have one great season, but can't fulfill the promise in subsequent years, e.g. Lost, Heroes.

It must be hard to outline the plots for the 3 timelines.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

doobiedoo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:08 amThey do try to help the viewer with visual cues, e.g. rock star Joe has a beard, nurse Joe wears glasses, etc.
When there are a lot of characters and they all look alike (same age, hair color, hair style), I usually use chin shape to tell them apart. You know, like rounded chin vs narrow chin, etc. Doesn't always work but its amazing how many times I've had to resort to this trick.

It would be easier if shows just stopped using experimental plot structures and stuck to structures that the human mind can comprehend more easily.

Or at least make an effort to cast characters with enough distinguishing characteristics to tell them apart so the viewer doesn't have to work so hard.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:43 pm We may be a bit late to the party, but DH decided that we really "should" give "Ted Lasso" a try.

We are hooked.
So many unexpected gems!

RM
Same here.

I recommend Home Ground on Amazon.
Helena Mikkelsen is Norway's first female coach of a male premiere team, struggling at work to make herself heard in a male-dominated room. From Walter Presents, in Norwegian with English subtitles.
Not as funny as Ted, but very interesting, and I learned a bit about soccer.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

We watched PBS's The Pilgrims / American Experience.

https://www.pbs.org/video/american-expe ... oplay=true
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

doobiedoo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:08 amThe most obvious drawback is that this can be confusing. [It doesn't help that I missed the first 2 episodes.] They do try to help the viewer with visual cues, e.g. rock star Joe has a beard, nurse Joe wears glasses, etc.
They also use color to help identify the timelines. In the timeline where Joe is a cop, his home is blue and characters usually wear blue. When he's a nurse, it's green. When he's a rock star, it's orange/red.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Amazon Prime TV had an offer for .99 (per month) for two months for Paramount+ and BritBox, so we resubscribed to watch "Mayor of Kingstown" and the current season of "Shetland".
digit8

Post by digit8 »

I’ve almost entirely bailed on TV shows, just too much going on for me to concentrate and I’m more of a movie person anyway. But True Detective caught my eye recently. Brilliant first season, highly flawed but interesting second one, just cleansing my palette for a little while before I go to season 3.
"You can't latte yourself to bankruptcy. The bladder won't allow it." | -Katherine Porter
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Still watching "Spooks"; S5 is my fave so far. The team is facing a lot of ethical issues and fighting their own Govenrmnet which makes for a special brand of intrigue. The show is still bleeding good actors, but the newcomers usually end up being good. Sniffles about the latest departure though.

Also still watching "The Paper Chase" as kind of a lighter foil, but I'm only in S1 and I probably won't go beyond that.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Binged on the PBS 2020 series, "All Creatures Great and Small". They were showing all 7 episodes of season 1. We were just flipping channels, checking what was on, decided to watch just the first show, and ended up liking it so much we finished the whole thing. Season 2 comes out in Jan.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Letter for the King.

Nice, well done series.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:33 pm Binged on the PBS 2020 series, "All Creatures Great and Small". They were showing all 7 episodes of season 1. We were just flipping channels, checking what was on, decided to watch just the first show, and ended up liking it so much we finished the whole thing. Season 2 comes out in Jan.
I loved those books, and the series is good, too!
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

We’re currently binging on “Chicago Med”.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Finally got around to watching Longmire and really enjoying it.

Also, re Ted Lasso. LOVED S1. Liked S2 well enough but not as much. S1 bought a lot of good will with me. i've ordered a Roy Kent jersey.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I watched the Nash Bridges reboot last night. The nostalgia was there for a little bit but in some respects it was different. The Cuda was destroyed!

It will be interesting if the series is rebooted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_Bridges

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

I wouldn't want to re-watch all of "Get Smart" as it's been run ad nauseum on local channels. But thankfully a beautifully curated scene from The Groovy Guru is online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gvkmTQgyQM
telemark

Post by telemark »

I'm watching the original anime version of Cowboy Bebop on Netflix. Good storytelling and a great sound track. I'm not overly fond of anime in general, but this is refreshingly free of the things that usually annoy me.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Just binged on all 3 seasons of "You" on Netflix. It was addicting and I highly recommend it
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The Beatles: Get Back, 2021, directed by Peter Jackson. Three episodes

Just finished episode 1 last night. It covers three weeks of January 1969 as the Beatles prepare 14 new songs for a live concert. Some complex relationships between the band members. Highly skilled musicians with very creative minds. Interesting to see how they work together to create their music.

When I woke up this morning, I had a strange thought: Paul McCartney is like Lebowski's rug. He really tied the band together.
Last edited by bertilak on Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

bertilak wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:26 amIt covers three weeks of January 1992 as the Beatles prepare 14 new songs for a live concert.
1992? The Beatles broke up ~1970 and John was assassinated about a decade later.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Cruise wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:28 am

We are hooked.
So many unexpected gems!

RM
Enjoy Season One. Season Two was just OK.
Interesting because we thought Season 2 was fantastic. I liked it better than season 1. In particular, the Xmas episode and the romantic comedy parody episode were great episodes of TV.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:54 am
bertilak wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:26 amIt covers three weeks of January 1992 as the Beatles prepare 14 new songs for a live concert.
1992? The Beatles broke up ~1970 and John was assassinated about a decade later.
Oops! Brain check! Try 1969.
SGM

Post by SGM »

Oratorio 2020 a Martin Scorsese film about his church near Mott Street. In it he discusses a former Haitian slave who learned hairdressing in NYC and became wealthy and did many charitable acts and eventually became Saint Pierre Toussaint and is buried in St. Patrick's Cathedral on 5th avenue.
DaPonte a librettist who ended up in NYC and brought Italian language and culture to NYC.

It is a significant historic film and shows the older St. Patrick's and it's 150year old organ. The film was shown on public television.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Movies can be discussed in What Movie Have You Recently Watched?.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

bertilak wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:26 am The Beatles: Get Back, 2021, directed by Peter Jackson. Three episodes

Just finished episode 1 last night. It covers three weeks of January 1969 as the Beatles prepare 14 new songs for a live concert. Some complex relationships between the band members. Highly skilled musicians with very creative minds. Interesting to see how they work together to create their music.

When I woke up this morning, I had a strange thought: Paul McCartney is like Lebowski's rug. He really tied the band together.
These guys were so young (late 20s) when you look at all they had accomplished. I thought it interesting they still called their manager Brian Epstein, who had passed away 14 months previously at age 32 as "Mr. Epstein". He had been telling them what to do, and they just did it. Paul seems to the one trying to take charge with John and Ringo pretty much just going along, and George not so much. Maybe the doc is a bit too long, but thoroughly enjoyable. Finished Part 2 a couple nights ago and looking forward to Part 3 with their rooftop concert.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Grantchester - Season 6 - Half-way through and this season is much better than season 5. More focused, tighter writing while providing an eye-opening glimpse into the moral values of the late 1950s.
sdelg57

Post by sdelg57 »

Not sure if it has been mentioned before but 2 favorite TV series of a quirky forensic pathologist are
Balthazar on Acorn TV.
A similar series but not as good is Harrow on Hulu.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:37 pm Bergerac (1981) starring John Nettles, the first Barnaby of Midsomer Murders.

Bergerac is a typical police procedural with a good-guy cop with a few personal issues. It is very well done and you can see how John Nettle's career would blossom. It is a little odd hearing Tom Barnaby's voice come from this younger character. Some of the mannerisms are also familiar.

One fun part of old shows like this is seeing younger versions of actors that you recognize from more recent shows. Another of my favorites from Midsomer Murders is Annette Badlands who plays Fleur Perkins, the pathologist in Midsomer. (This is past the time that Nettles was still part of Midsomer so their paths didn't pass there.) In Bergerac she plays Charlotte, one of the characters in the police station. Again, like Nettles, you can see she has a promising future. The latest Bergerac episode I saw had Richard Griffiths who later starred in Pie in the Sky (1994) as Henry Crabbe, a semi-retired cop who runs his own restaurant (with his wife played by Maggie Steed) but still gets called in to work cases.
We've just given up on Bergerac, alas,

We had enjoyed it quite a bit at first. Easy watching, not too much violence (usually very little), etc.
But as we got into the later seasons, the plots got weaker. A few had too many loose ends or just didn't make sense. We were wondering if the writers had totally changed or something like that.
And last night we watched the episode about the "archeology dig".

That one did it for us. It's become a waste of time, barely entertaining other than the glances we kept giving each other...

But as for Annette Badland, it was fun to catch her recently as the bar owner (or similar) in Ted Lasso. :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:28 am We've just given up on Bergerac, alas,
I can see your take on Bergerac.

We are still watching and only have a few episodes of the last season to go.

It does seem to have lost its way towards the end, but I would say only a little lost.

Bergerac himself does not disappoint and seems to be getting more and more like Barnaby -- an interesting progression.