First smartphone recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
seeingeyestrike

First smartphone recommendations

Post by seeingeyestrike »

I’m looking to finally making the upgrade to a smartphone, but am getting pretty overwhelmed looking at the options and was hoping you might help me. My current phone is an 8 year old flip phone that I love, but since half the buttons no longer work, it’s time to find a replacement. I’ve been following some of the recent smartphone vs flip phone threads, and as a 28 year old, I see the utility of a smartphone from observing my friends and coworkers.

Due to the “additional info” listed below, I’m considering a Samsung Galaxy S4, but I honestly just stumbled onto that decision and would love additional input and suggestions. And in looking on Amazon, there were multiple options (with multiple prices) for the S4 (or any of the other phones I was looking at). Do I need to look for specific options (or avoid specific options) if I want to stay with Page Plus? (unlocked, international, specific carrier listed, etc.) Anything else I need to consider if I stay with Page Plus? I intend to upgrade to the $30 plan (1500 minutes, unlimited texts, 1 GB 4G data), unless someone has a better idea.

Additional info:
-Live in the US
-Currently on Page Plus $12 per month plan (would like to stay on the Verizon network)
-Currently own a Samsung tablet (received as a gift last holiday season) which I’m comfortable using
-Unless you convince me otherwise, I think I would be content with a (less expensive) prior generation phone
-My husband currently has his own dumbphone plan, but may also be looking to upgrade in the near future (probably still not worth any kind of “family plan”- no kids yet- but I figured I’d include this detail in case you felt otherwise).

Please let me know if there is any additional information I could provide that would help you help me with this decision.
Alto Astral

Re: First smartphone recommendations

Post by Alto Astral »

Get the cheapest unlocked Android phone such as LG. Check reviews on Amazon for the model you pick. S4 is a fine phone, but does not offer you much for the price premium. If PagePlus has a store, I would try there first.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Google's project FI looks nice. I have a friend and a sister in law on it.
You need a google nexus or something like it. I think it is $20/month, an the refund what you don't use it.
it switches to wifi whenever possible, and switches between sprint and Tmobile.

Not as good a coverage as Verizon.

I use a tracfone cdma smartphone (LG Optimus Dynamic II) and pay $100/year for
1200 min/yr + 1200 texts per year + 1200 MB of data/yr. (You can always buy more.)
This plan is best for people who use very little data, but you've had no data at all.
The phone is 3G not 4G.

cdma has great coverage in the sparsely populated midwest.
RoC

Post by RoC »

Do you know if you want to go with an iOS (iPhone) or Android phone? Do you also know roughly how much you want to spend? These two items can significantly cut down the options so we can narrow down selections.

If you want an iPhone, get the newest model that's within your budget.

If you want an Android phone, then I think that the LG G3 the Samsung Galaxy S5 (or S4), or Nexus 5 are in the sweet spot of being available a reduced prices but still don't have painfully out of date hardware. One item to note is the Nexus 5 is the oldest of the bunch, and has the worst camera of them. So if taking pictures is important to you, you might want to consider one of the other phones mentioned, or moving up to the new Nexus 5x.
William4u

Post by William4u »

I have a 1st gen Moto X on pageplus. They are cheap on ebay and very fast with the newest version of android. Moto X is the first google made motorola phone.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

RoC wrote:One item to note is the Nexus 5 is the oldest of the bunch, and has the worst camera of them. So if taking pictures is important to you, you might want to consider one of the other phones mentioned, or moving up to the new Nexus 5x.
This is good advice, but since the OP has not previously used a smartphone, she might not yet appreciate how she might use a smartphone camera. Before my first smartphone, I thought a camera was useless: I knew I would never take a selfie and figured that I would use my (real, stand-alone) camera if I ever anticipated going somewhere or seeing something worth photographing. But having a decent camera with me at all times is useful in ways I would never have expected. Find an interesting gadget at the store and want to see what else the manufacturer makes? Snap a photo of the manufacturer's name and website and check it when convenient. A colleague is curious about the cooking class I left work early to attend? Take a picture of my food and show it to her the next day. Surprised at the selection of nutmeg graters at the kitchenware store? Photograph them side by side and show them to your friend that recommended buying one in the first place. And I recently photographed an interesting painting that was in a restaurant's men's room so my female companion could see it.

I'm not saying you need the latest and greatest camera for these things, but just thought it might be helpful to illustrate that a smartphone camera can be surprisingly useful.
theta

Post by theta »

I'm currently using an IPhone 4s on Pageplus. Works like a champ for about $3 per month.
Would be more, admittedly, but we don't have a data plan, instead going with wifi-only.
Phone cost about $70 on eBay.
tj218

Post by tj218 »

We also use Page Plus and went with the Moto G. You can get them new (make sure they are unlocked and not pre-paid) on EBAY for $40.

My wife is on the $30/mo plan and I am on the $12 as I mostly use wifi. The phone works great.
tj218

Post by tj218 »

We also use Page Plus and went with the Moto G. You can get them new (make sure they are unlocked and not pre-paid) on EBAY for $40.

My wife is on the $30/mo plan and I am on the $12 as I mostly use wifi. The phone works great.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Cricketwireless.com

Microsoft Lumia 640 for $99 new from cricket.

$35/month with auto pay. No contract. Unlimited calling/texting. 2.5 GB 4g data. 3g after the first 2.5gb.

I set both my inlaws up with this as their first smartphones. They are happy and not overwhelmed.
Topic Author
seeingeyestrike

Thanks for the replies everyone. This is exactly what I was hoping for- suggestions for specific things to look into, so I’m not getting overwhelmed with all the options out there.

Addressing questions: I would prefer Android and I’m hoping to find a phone under $200. Neither of these are absolutes though.

Project FI definitely looks interesting. The coverage map was actually better than I thought it would be- mostly 4G, with some spots of no coverage, 2G, and 3G (including the area where I work). The phones that they offer are a little out of the price range I was hoping to stay in (at least if I buy directly from them), but I’ll definitely keep them in the back of my mind- especially if the phones are cheaper elsewhere.

The Tracfone CDMA recommendation also looks to be worth further investigation. It looks like, depending on the phone’s Sim card, they use the Verizon or Sprint network, but not both.

Thanks for the specific phone recommendations from those of you currently using page plus. I’ll start looking at those in more detail.

Also, I’m gathering from a few of your responses that eBay is a good place to look for buying my new phone. Is unlocked (not prepaid) the main feature I should be looking for?
theta

Post by theta »

Definitely not prepaid, should you choose to go Pageplus.

Really for Pageplus, you just need a Verizon phone that is not under contract and/or has a clean ESN. It may or may not be advertised as unlocked.
burt

Post by burt »

I'm older and not tech savvy.
Last year, got a Motorola G ($100) with Consumer Cellular and am pretty happy with it.

burt
RoC

Post by RoC »

Do you know if a 5.5" phone is comfortable for you to use? I still think the LG G3 is an excellent phone to recommend, as long as it's comfortable for you to hold. Check out the size of demo units the next time you're at a place that sells cell phones. The LG G3 has one of the highest screen to phone size ratios, so although it has a large screen, it's not much larger than phones with smaller screens.

One thing to note is that it's slightly over your $200 budget. However you should be able to pick it up on eBay for around $225. Just make sure you get a Verizon unlocked version if you decide to get it.

It's a good phone with very solid specs for its price. It has a very good camera for a one year old phone, and it offers expandable storage in case more space is needed. I think its worth putting on your list of phones to consider.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

One nontraditional strategy: carry both a feature phone and a smartphone. The nice thing about feature phones is that they have good battery life. You're probably used to charging maybe once a week? Smartphones need to be charged once a day. Maybe twice a day if you're actually using it.

I keep a grandfathered tmobile feature phone. $10/yr to keep it running, since I don't use that many minutes. Then I have a smartphone (samsung s2) that costs me $4 month for 500MB of data w/ rollover. Since I'm mostly on wifi, this now has built up to multiple GB's of data. My wife does the same, but doesn't pay for rollover so the data costs $0/month.

The smartphone is actually quite convenient, but I keep the voice and important texts going to the legacy feature phone.

If this sounds like an acceptable approach, it's certainly very cost-effective. Checkout freedompop. They have a used/refurb'd 2nd gen moto E for $40, or samsung s4 for $120
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-free-4 ... paign=1029

caveats: see the wiki near the top of http://slickdeals.net/f/7810285-freedom ... SiteSearch

* the smartphone comes w/ 500min and 500 texts, but you're best off ignoring that. It's voip and poor quality, and voicemail costs extra. Better to disregard entirely and sign up for a free google voice number and use google hangouts for voice and texts, which has both better voice quality and free voicemail, plus no minutes limit, though it does use data. I've found that works ok, but still mostly use my feature phone for voice calls.

* expect the phone is in used condition and be pleasantly surprised if it's in great condition

* be careful to follow the directions to turn off the auto-topoff and free 1st month trials. This is assuming it's important to you that the smartphone costs $0-$4/month. People who expect it to be free get upset when it accidently costs them $10.

* don't expect any customer service. I've observed that people who have problems seem to get good responsiveness by posting/private messaging on a freedompop thread over at slickdeals.
random_walker_77

If you do combine a smartphone w/ a flipphone, note that you can get a replacement flip phone for < $15 on ebay or on periodic online sales. Then simply move the sim card over to the new phone (or, for networks that don't use sim cards, call customer service to get help transferring service over to the replacement phone).
larklea

Post by larklea »

DW and I have both been very pleased with our LG OPtimus L70 smartphones from Cricket Wireless. This is the ATT network, which is arguably as good as Verizon's. We're out ~$70 a month for two smartphones. I had an old grandfathered $18 each 90 day flip phone from Virgin Mobile. I got tired of seeing homeless people with better phones :happy .

This is not a top of the line smart phone, but we're happy with them. There are times I have to uninstall an app or two in order to add a new app. Base memory (1 G?) may be a bit too small. I consider this to be a good emotional character building exercise ala - "can't have everything, can we?".

Hmm - I don't see our phones on Cricket's site at this time. Regardless, I'd check out Cricket.

Personally, I don't get the BIG phone deal, but I guess it's just me as I see more and more of them.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

seeingeyestrike wrote: -Currently own a Samsung tablet (received as a gift last holiday season) which I’m comfortable using
So, you already use Android (the operating system 'OS' on your tablet). I'd say go with a Samsung Galaxy series phone- it runs the same OS...you can't go wrong. After getting comfortable w/ it over the next year/two, you'll then be comfortable going forward.

I have Sprint and every 2 years I get an upgrade phone, but I never buy the 'latest' model as the prior years model is always cheaper (if not free) and can be had for a very comfortable price and does the exact same things as the latest model (for me at least). I just got a Galaxy Note 3 (same OS as your tablet) for $99. Not all phones need 'daily charging'. The Note series batteries are larger and can go for days uncharged if WiFi is not constantly scanning (turn it off)

Where you will spend the $$ is on your phone data plan. That you have a tablet- they may try to sell you a separate data plan for it.
May be worth the time to go to a Verizon store and browse...and ask questions. Also, visit their site to see which phones are last years models and are going for cheap.

I am personally leary of buying phones on Ebay/Amazon....unless I absolutely had to. Some phones do not work across different carriers due to SIM cards and such....kinda a learning curve there you may not want to breach.

On a personal note- buying the cheapest phone and plan isn't always the greatest solution to me. A phone is also a lifeline so if you are in an accident or handling family business from a hospital or traveling across country/multiple states doing business, a cheap phone with a cheap provider is always going to fail you. Go with something reputable that works for your needs.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

William4u wrote:I have a 1st gen Moto X on pageplus. They are cheap on ebay and very fast with the newest version of android. Moto X is the first google made motorola phone.
Second this model recommendation, or a G if you don't need bells and whistles. It is also the LAST Google-made Motorola phone and very good. Get the "developer" or non-carrier version and take it to any carrier or MVNO. If you go on Ebay make sure you are not buying a former Verizon phone as they may not be portable away from Verizon MVNOs.

If you have consistent access to WiFi through work & home (and do not live in a rural area) I strongly recommend Republic Wireless. They sell Moto X & G non-carrier versions. They offer a $10/month plan which piggybacks on WiFi and only switches to Sprint when you are out of reach of WiFi. Some of their plans will also refund you the cost of unused data monthly. Excellent low-cost way to start using a smartphone without sinking a lot of :dollar into hardware or contract.
crake

Post by crake »

I've tried out a number of different MVNO's so I can relate some of my experience. I would strongly encourage you to stay away from tracfone based on the following experience.

To port my number to tracfone and get a phone activated took approximately 7 days and 8 hours of time with their horrible customer service. In the next 2-3 months my phone was disconnected twice, MMS stopped working twice, a minutes card I purchased was not added to my account, and 40 dollars worth of minutes I paid for disappeared making the phone unusable. The last one was the final straw. Customer service said it would take up to 72 hours to resolve that issue and in the mean time my phone would not be usable. I issued a chargeback on my credit card and filed an FCC complaint. If you visit the tracfone forum on howardforums.com you can find lots of people with similar stories to myself.

I am currently with Airvoice Wireless and I can strongly recommend them. I top up the account with 10 dollars per month and phone calls cost, 4 cents per minute, texts are 2 cents a minute, and data is 6 cents per MB. Your unused balance then rolls over every month. Airvoice is on the ATT network. I was originally hesitant to move away from Verizon but I have not noticed any difference in coverage so far. ATT is also a GSM network which gives you the ability to switch phones just by moving your SIM card. No need to contact the carrier.

There are not many cell providers that I am aware of that will allow you to have modern smartphones activated for a cost of only 10 dollars per month on the Verizon or ATT networks. In fact, the only other one I am aware of is Tracfone. Pageplus doesn't allow 4g phones on the 12 plan. Puppy Wireless has plan which is 250 min, 250 text, and 100 MB of data but it cost 15 dollars per month.

As far as phones under 200 dollars go I don't have much personal experience. All my phones have been hand me downs from people upgrading. The LG G3 recommended in this thread is probably a good option. I like that it has a user replaceable battery. If you kept your old phone for 8 years you'll probably want to keep the new one for a while too. The first thing to start failing on a lot of smart phones is the battery. They are not meant to last more than 2 years. With the G3 you should be able to pop in a new battery and it will be good as new. I'd also recommend the G3 over the S4 as LG has promised to release the newest version of Android for it where is Samsung will not be continuing to support the S4 which could potentially result in security issues.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

seeingeyestrike wrote:Project FI definitely looks interesting. The coverage map was actually better than I thought it would be- mostly 4G, with some spots of no coverage, 2G, and 3G (including the area where I work). The phones that they offer are a little out of the price range I was hoping to stay in (at least if I buy directly from them), but I’ll definitely keep them in the back of my mind- especially if the phones are cheaper elsewhere.
You won't find them cheaper. They are brand new released phones. They just started shipping in October and Google is the exclusive distributor. It is new hardware, but it's priced way cheaper than some of the alternative new phone models out there.

I have a Nexus 5X. I signed up for a Project Fi invite and have received it buy I have not moved forward. I am getting a better deal for my uses with my current carrier, but that is only because of my usage and the fact that I am on a shared plan with my wife. It's a good deal if you are a light user or are unable to get on a shared plan with someone else.
random_walker_77

http://slickdeals.net/f/8261151-ringplu ... =1&src=pdw

Hmm, there's a new MVNO that might be worth a gamble. $40 for a Moto E (budget but well-reviewed little brother to the Moto G), and free 1200MB/1200min, with tethering. Tethering means that you can use the phone to act as a wifi hotspot for your tablet (or laptop) when out and about.
rs899

Post by rs899 »

** Ringplus is not really new..I have been with them for 2 years. They are worth a shot as long as you absolutely can stand to be without service once in a blue moon, I signed up for the Leo 3 plan early this morning, but don't have a Moto E yet.
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

I just ordered a new (not refurbished) Samsung Galaxy 4 from Cricket Wireless for $199. It is my first smartphone and I do not care about having the latest and greatest $600 phone.
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

Thanks for all the great responses.

I too am planning on purchasing my first smart phone soon and the guidance on this thread is extremely helpful.

Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine »

Bought this for about $60 a family member who works outside and doesn't have the luxury of babying an expensive phone.
https://www.att.com/cellphones/microsof ... sku7660404

If you are not an AT&T customer, they will unlock it for you with a simple e-mail request. If you are an AT&T customer, they will unlock it after a short time period. It's a Windows phone, to me by far the simplest and most stream-lined OS for a beginner, especially if they have previously used Windows 8 or higher on laptops or PCs.
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

My husband and I both have the S4. His phone works flawlessly. Mine doesn't ring or vibrate half the time and calls random people if I move the phone while it is on, and none of us can figure out why. I am absolutely positive I am not touching any buttons when it calls someone and it doesn't usually call the last phone # when it does. It started with the second to last update. Other than that, it is pretty intuitive. This was my first smartphone and I didn't need to read the instructions except for activation and to try to figure out some fixes.

I am looking into getting a cheap smartphone for my daughter, basically just so I can keep tabs on her and she can play games while leaving my phone alone. We have basically every service near our house but only Verizon works at our cottage, so my choices are limited. I planned on going with Tracfone, but know I am re-thinking thanks to the above posts.
cheapedy

Post by cheapedy »

I jumped on this deal as soon as it came out:

http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-ultimate ... ne/7848060

Just the minutes alone are worth the price of the phone. Tracfone is great, I've been with them since my first flip phone back in 08'.
Topic Author
seeingeyestrike

Thanks everyone for all the great input and recommendations. I decided to go with a first generation Moto X. If you have more recommendations on good phones or inexpensive ways of using a data plan, please keep them coming. My husband will probably be upgrading soon, so I’m still reading and following all your replies.