Annoying problem with Lollipop (new Android 5.1 OS)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
drwtsn32

Re: Annoying problem with Lollipop (new Android 5.1 OS)

Post by drwtsn32 »

Browser wrote:Taken from the Moto X release notes for Android 5.1:
Your phone now uses the new Android Runtime to help optimize application performance. After upgrading to Lollipop, your applications will undergo a one-time optimization process.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!
It definitely should be a one time thing. If it is happening at each boot, something is fouled up with your particular device. I'm using a Droid Turbo and my wife is using a Moto X 2014 and we don't have this problem.
Topic Author
Browser

Post by Browser »

drwtsn32 wrote:
Browser wrote:Taken from the Moto X release notes for Android 5.1:
Your phone now uses the new Android Runtime to help optimize application performance. After upgrading to Lollipop, your applications will undergo a one-time optimization process.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!
It definitely should be a one time thing. If it is happening at each boot, something is fouled up with your particular device. I'm using a Droid Turbo and my wife is using a Moto X 2014 and we don't have this problem.
Guess I'm just lucky. Whatever it is, two factory resets didn't put a dent in it. Didn't have any problems with the phone before. Haven't been able to find any information on it, except that the problem isn't unique and other users have been experiencing the same sort of thing. The solution I've come to is to Apple-ize and kiss Android goodbye forever.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
bpp

Post by bpp »

drwtsn32 wrote:
bpp wrote:Thanks, that works: 4.2.2

Dumb question part deux: How do I trigger an upgrade to Lollipop? I seem to have automatic updates set, but is something more active needed to upgrade to a new major version number?
It should automatically happen, but updates are not made available at the same time across all models. And at some point manufacturers/carriers stop updating a certain model phone entirely.

What model phone do you have?
It's an Aquos something-or-other. Not very old, so maybe Lollipop is not available for it yet. In any case, from the stories here, it sounds like a good idea to wait anyway.