Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
kjvmartin
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by kjvmartin »

I've decided to start using Google Photos and iCloud as a secondary backup to my Apple Time Capsule/Apple Photos.

This has led me to realize that my Internet upload speed at home is horrendous. I'm paying my cable provider $54 per month for 15mbps down and 1mbps upload speeds. I have never had any issues running Netflix/iTunes movies. I do not subscribe to cable television.

We have about 60 gigabytes of photos and videos. I want to upload this to my iCloud and my wife's Google Photos. This may take *years* at the rate it seems to be going. As an alternative, I could sit at my local library where it seems to run much faster, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to do that. I can't find any other Internet providers that give service to my zip code. I've checked AT&T and Verizon, Google, etc.

I have the following options:

$54 goes up to $74/month for 35mb/down and 2mb/up. $20/month to go from 1 to 2 megs upstream seems kind of weak.

$54 goes up to $89/month for 75mb/down and 5mb/up. $35/month to go from 1 to 5 megs upstream seems... not as weak?

Are either of these plans going to really make my life that much better? They have a 150down/10up plan as well, I didn't even ask how much it costs. They are pricing their plans so you only have to spend about $10 more to cable Cable TV service.
nordlead
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:09 am

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by nordlead »

If you have 60GB of pictures and a 1Mbps upload link it will take (under optimal conditions) ~5.98 days. We'll call it 6-7 days.

A 5Mbps is 5x as fast, so it'll be close to 1.5 days, but that is assuming that the service (google drive, icloud, etc...) allows you to run at 5Mbps upload for long periods of time.

You don't seem to need the extra download speed, so personally, I'd just kick off the uploads and forget about it for a few days. If you find you run into this problem more often, then I'd switch to something faster. Business lines are also an option and tend to have faster upload speeds available.

EDIT: since you want to upload to two different spots, it will take 2 weeks, not 1 week
JDot
Posts: 369
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:15 pm

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by JDot »

btw make sure you have the proper modem (which needs to be compatible with your service provider) and router to take advantage of any extra speed. This stuff should be easy to figure out with a little digging. BTW- I recommend buying a modem for $60 or so rather than renting a crappy one from your provider.
Jamieson22
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:42 pm

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by Jamieson22 »

I have comcast blast! service and get 60Mbps down and 15Mbps up. It is bundled with TV so hard to do direct price compare but I'd say on par with what you are paying. For $10 a month I could upgrade to get 105Mbps down and 20Mbps up.

15/1 for $54 is criminal.
archii
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 am

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by archii »

Yes, that's very high $ for a 15/1 connection.
We live in a small town in colorado, and charter cable gives us 60/3 for 59.99 mo.
Who is your cable provider? There must be other options... This is why I worry about consolidation of the cable broadband providers - they see the writing on the wall with people moving toward streaming, and they will certainly fight tooth and nail to try to maintain the oligolopy to keep their ridiculous profit levels.
User avatar
mmmodem
Posts: 2356
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by mmmodem »

You're not going to be uploading 60 gb everyday. Once the initial back up is complete, it will just update changes. If you have no issues with your current download speeds, upgrading will only decrease your misery from the initial 6 days to something shorter. And then you will be saddled with higher internet costs. You will perpetually pay for a higher speed that you don't need unless you change to another cloud storage solution.
Topic Author
kjvmartin
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by kjvmartin »

I'm with Brighthouse Cable.

It turns out AT&T Uverse does have some options in the area now, but they are front loaded with a bunch of installation charges/fees. They don't publish their upstream speeds and I've read online that they are quite slow for what you pay. I'm researching this a bit further. They offer $59 a month for a 45/meg plan and their phone support says it's 6 meg upstream. With fees it looks like a real price of about $80 a month + installation of $100. I'm considering trying to leverage bright house into a better deal by threatening to leave.

I realize this is ideally two weeks of time, but I move around a lot.. and I can't always tie up the broadband. I take my computer on the road for work (where I use a hotspot, so I can't use that for uploading). While I'm doing the upload at home, the Netflix or Prime TV gets fuzzy/buffers etc. We can't get webpages to load in reasonable time frames.

Mike
DSInvestor
Posts: 11425
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by DSInvestor »

kjvmike wrote: I realize this is ideally two weeks of time, but I move around a lot.. and I can't always tie up the broadband. I take my computer on the road for work (where I use a hotspot, so I can't use that for uploading). While I'm doing the upload at home, the Netflix or Prime TV gets fuzzy/buffers etc. We can't get webpages to load in reasonable time frames.

Mike
What about doing the uploads overnight only when nobody else is using the internet? Our iPads and iPhones backup to iCloud so we charge up overnight so it doesn't impact internet performance for web/netflix/hulu/Amazon Instant Video etc.
Wiki
rxtra8
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by rxtra8 »

If interested, you can test your upload/download speeds to see if you are getting what you paid for; this is very simple.
Site: Speedtest.net All you do is click "Begin Test" I do not see any negatives, just only click on Begin Test.
I get 30.33 download and 25.60 on upload; Verizon Fios
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies
Topic Author
kjvmartin
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by kjvmartin »

I will do that for now, but I discovered a deal through ATT Uverse offering me 45 down/6 upload including a basic cable TV package for $66 per month all inclusive. There is a $100 installation fee, but they are giving out a free year of Amazon Prime ($99) for signing up, so that's a wash. Anyone have any insight about ATT Uverse? I'm largely unfamiliar.

For $13 more per month I am getting 3x the download and 6x the upload speed plus some basic cable channels. I don't really care for the TV service - I'm mostly streaming and otherwise have a good antenna, but I assume it can't hurt to have that as well for the first year promo.

Mike
nordlead
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:09 am

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by nordlead »

kjvmike wrote:While I'm doing the upload at home, the Netflix or Prime TV gets fuzzy/buffers etc. We can't get webpages to load in reasonable time frames.
Mike
This can easily be resolved by setting a decent router (not anything the cable company provided) with a quality of service setting giving every device a minimum upload speed of 100Kbps (or 1/1th of the upload speed). I do this myself when I'm backing up multi GB files so the phone stays on and the wife can use the electronics.

Even with the 6Mbps you'll have problems if the upload is using 100% of the bandwidth, it'll just be done in a handful of days instead of a week or two.
DSInvestor
Posts: 11425
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by DSInvestor »

kjvmike wrote:I will do that for now, but I discovered a deal through ATT Uverse offering me 45 down/6 upload including a basic cable TV package for $66 per month all inclusive. There is a $100 installation fee, but they are giving out a free year of Amazon Prime ($99) for signing up, so that's a wash. Anyone have any insight about ATT Uverse? I'm largely unfamiliar.
My mom has U-Verse and I think they're awful. They cannot seem to get their billing right. My mom was supposed to get an introductory discount price and it didn't show on the invoice. We'd call, they'd apologize and issue a credit. Same problem the next month, so we call again, they apologize and issue a credit, then promise to fix it so it doesn't happen again. We had to call for 4-5 months in a row because they just couldn't get it right. They wear you down. After the promotional price went away, the price skyrocketed to about $175/month for U200. We called, and they offered a discounted price on a higher plan (U300 for about $120 which came with tennis channel, showtime and faster internet). This is the game you have to play with them.

I have comcast internet blast at my home which gives me about 100Mbps download and 10+Mbps upload. I pay an introductory price $29.99/month good for 12 months, then I think it jumps to about $60 (I can't remember). I'll probably downgrade the plan once the intro price expires.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
Topic Author
kjvmartin
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by kjvmartin »

nordlead wrote:
kjvmike wrote:While I'm doing the upload at home, the Netflix or Prime TV gets fuzzy/buffers etc. We can't get webpages to load in reasonable time frames.
Mike
This can easily be resolved by setting a decent router (not anything the cable company provided) with a quality of service setting giving every device a minimum upload speed of 100Kbps (or 1/1th of the upload speed). I do this myself when I'm backing up multi GB files so the phone stays on and the wife can use the electronics.

Even with the 6Mbps you'll have problems if the upload is using 100% of the bandwidth, it'll just be done in a handful of days instead of a week or two.
I do have an Airport Time Capsule. My understanding was this was a pretty good router?

I'm getting a bit jealous of everyone with these awesome Comcast plans available!
Andymoler58
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:10 pm

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by Andymoler58 »

I cut it back in January and switched to Sling TV and am very happy. I just have to go to the bar to watch the NBA finals but that's ok.
fredjohnson
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by fredjohnson »

We have a 65 mbs down and 7 mbs up speed right now for $55 a month. A good router will help maximize speed. Spend at least $200 for a decent one. We don't have 60 GB of photo's but we use Crash Plan to back up all computers and devices continuously, so there must be 300-500 GB of info backed up to the cloud on 4 computers in our house. It does incremental backups continuously while you are on your computer. The web speed we have is so fast we don't even notice the backups. We can also be watching a couple of netflix movies at the same time and have our iPads going and still no noticeable lag in our devices.
User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2305
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by sunny_socal »

I live in San Diego, in an area where Cox has a monopoly on the market. I don't even know what "package" I have, or what the speed is - all I know is that I have only internet, at the lowest possible speed. (I just went to their website to look - it's deliberately obfuscated, the real prices and speeds are nowhere to be found.) It's still $50/month and it's fast enough for netflix.

You could call your company and 'upgrade' to the lightning fast option. Upload all your files. Then call them back and say "I changed my mind, I want my old package back." Done! :beer (Don't feel bad - these telcos do it all the time behind your back.)

EDIT: I'm sorry I even posted in this thread. I logged into my Cox account and attempted to view "My Connection" and every customer support related web page is down. It's soooo very typical of Cox. The only good thing I can say about them is that their internet connection is stable. :oops:
Last edited by sunny_socal on Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Boomer01
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:25 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by Boomer01 »

Andymoler58 wrote:I cut it back in January and switched to Sling TV and am very happy. I just have to go to the bar to watch the NBA finals but that's ok.
You should be able to pick up ABC and the rest of the basic channels over the air with an antenna.
wfrobinette
Posts: 1442
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by wfrobinette »

nordlead wrote:If you have 60GB of pictures and a 1Mbps upload link it will take (under optimal conditions) ~5.98 days. We'll call it 6-7 days.

A 5Mbps is 5x as fast, so it'll be close to 1.5 days, but that is assuming that the service (google drive, icloud, etc...) allows you to run at 5Mbps upload for long periods of time.

You don't seem to need the extra download speed, so personally, I'd just kick off the uploads and forget about it for a few days. If you find you run into this problem more often, then I'd switch to something faster. Business lines are also an option and tend to have faster upload speeds available.

EDIT: since you want to upload to two different spots, it will take 2 weeks, not 1 week
I did my first crash plan backup on a DSL 3mb/750k up on an off hour 11PM to 7 AM schedule it it took 7+ weeks. Thankfully I'm now 20/5MB
User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 6015
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by Pajamas »

It is probably not worth the extra money for the upload speed since the difference is not significant except in percentage terms.

Have you checked your actual speed?

http://www.speedtest.net/
User avatar
watchnerd
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by watchnerd »

What's the upload cap?

I got nailed last December for overage charges for surpassing my upload cap of 3 GB/month.
60% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS 10% cash || RSU + ESPP
patrick
Posts: 1825
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:39 am
Location: Mega-City One

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by patrick »

nordlead wrote:If you have 60GB of pictures and a 1Mbps upload link it will take (under optimal conditions) ~5.98 days. We'll call it 6-7 days.

A 5Mbps is 5x as fast, so it'll be close to 1.5 days, but that is assuming that the service (google drive, icloud, etc...) allows you to run at 5Mbps upload for long periods of time.

You don't seem to need the extra download speed, so personally, I'd just kick off the uploads and forget about it for a few days. If you find you run into this problem more often, then I'd switch to something faster. Business lines are also an option and tend to have faster upload speeds available.

EDIT: since you want to upload to two different spots, it will take 2 weeks, not 1 week
It may well be that the connection is slower than the advertisted speed. However, taking the calculation a bit further and dividing by .0288 mbps, we come out with 208 days or about 7 months to upload 60GB using a 28.8 dialup modem!
patrick
Posts: 1825
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:39 am
Location: Mega-City One

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by patrick »

kjvmike wrote:I'm with Brighthouse Cable.

It turns out AT&T Uverse does have some options in the area now, but they are front loaded with a bunch of installation charges/fees. They don't publish their upstream speeds and I've read online that they are quite slow for what you pay. I'm researching this a bit further. They offer $59 a month for a 45/meg plan and their phone support says it's 6 meg upstream. With fees it looks like a real price of about $80 a month + installation of $100. I'm considering trying to leverage bright house into a better deal by threatening to leave.

I realize this is ideally two weeks of time, but I move around a lot.. and I can't always tie up the broadband. I take my computer on the road for work (where I use a hotspot, so I can't use that for uploading). While I'm doing the upload at home, the Netflix or Prime TV gets fuzzy/buffers etc. We can't get webpages to load in reasonable time frames.
You could use a different computer to upload the data constantly even while you are taking a computer away. Even if you have only one computer that you actually use, perhaps you have an old computer (or three) lying around in the closet somewhere.

In addition to the use of router settings as already mentioned, you may also be able to prevent tying up the connection by using configuration options on the cloud software itself to limit how fast the data is sent.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 69817
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (Internet).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
kjvmartin
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by kjvmartin »

We're closing on a house in a couple weeks. I may get the uploads somewhat completed by then. Unfortunately our new house is in the same zip code with the same internet options; however, I'm going to take advantage of the AT&T Uverse 45m/6m plan for the first year and see how it goes after that.
kazper
Posts: 626
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by kazper »

This is probably a stupid question, but why do you need them saved on a cloud based service? Unless this is for a business where your clients will be accessing it or you continually share with family members, friends, etc., I would suggest going the hardware route and buying an external HDD. 60 gigs would be moved over relatively quickly (hours). I'm amazed at how much space you can buy for under $200. I remember my first external HDD was about 150 and had maybe 100 gigs. Now, we're up into the TB stage!
User avatar
tainted-meat
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:35 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by tainted-meat »

I've not had cable for 6 of the last 7 years. Get a decent internet plan (mine's $30/mo) and a tv antenna. I've found that you really don't miss tv that much anymore. Also, the local pbs station (ket) has some great stuff on it and the nba finals are on abc.
User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 11871
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Competition works! My son is in his first apartment, and has no need for TV or landline (ie, no bundle). He played Optimum against Verizon and got 50/25 for $50/month with no installation fee. He measured the speed, and got latency of 9ms, throughput of 82/26.

OP, I understand your options are more limited. Rural?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
User avatar
kenyan
Posts: 3003
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by kenyan »

I faced this problem a little while ago when I decided to backup all of our precious photos/videos online. Like you, I had a 15/1 plan (though I think I tested it out at 20/1). It was definitely a pain. However, it so happened that my provider upgraded the speed eventually without a plan change. I'm now sitting at 50/5 and uploading is much nicer (had to do it again as I needed to rearrange things between different 'clouds').

If you don't have any recurring need for the extra speed after this initial data dump, I'd either avoid the upgrade and bear the pain, or see if there is any ability to upgrade temporarily and then revert the change. Internet plans I've had have been no-contract - a temporary upgrade could be possible.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
User avatar
kenyan
Posts: 3003
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by kenyan »

kazper wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but why do you need them saved on a cloud based service? Unless this is for a business where your clients will be accessing it or you continually share with family members, friends, etc., I would suggest going the hardware route and buying an external HDD. 60 gigs would be moved over relatively quickly (hours). I'm amazed at how much space you can buy for under $200. I remember my first external HDD was about 150 and had maybe 100 gigs. Now, we're up into the TB stage!
Hardware solution is ok, but my biggest fear is what one of my friends experienced recently - fire (or natural disaster, or robbery). Not only do you lose your house, but you could "lose" all of your memories.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
Topic Author
kjvmartin
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by kjvmartin »

TomatoTomahto wrote:Competition works! My son is in his first apartment, and has no need for TV or landline (ie, no bundle). He played Optimum against Verizon and got 50/25 for $50/month with no installation fee. He measured the speed, and got latency of 9ms, throughput of 82/26.

OP, I understand your options are more limited. Rural?
I'm in a large metropolitan area, but each area only seems to have 1 assigned cable provider. The west side suburbs of Detroit get Brighthouse Networks, and the east side gets Comcast and WoW as an alternative. I've checked everywhere and Verizon, Xfinity/Comcast, Charter, and Time Warner are not available in my location.

I called Brighthouse and told them I wanted to cancel because Uverse offered the same price for a much faster package including basic cable TV. They said that Uverse does not do free installation and they wouldn't match prices as a result. They also pointed out how their package was a fixed price and Uverse would certainly go up after one year. These are true statements, but Uverse is offering rebates to cover the cost of installation right now. Brighthouse was not willing to negotiate!
Topic Author
kjvmartin
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Cable Cord cutting.. alternatives/ideas? Speed Choices?

Post by kjvmartin »

kenyan wrote:
kazper wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but why do you need them saved on a cloud based service? Unless this is for a business where your clients will be accessing it or you continually share with family members, friends, etc., I would suggest going the hardware route and buying an external HDD. 60 gigs would be moved over relatively quickly (hours). I'm amazed at how much space you can buy for under $200. I remember my first external HDD was about 150 and had maybe 100 gigs. Now, we're up into the TB stage!
Hardware solution is ok, but my biggest fear is what one of my friends experienced recently - fire (or natural disaster, or robbery). Not only do you lose your house, but you could "lose" all of your memories.
I have that, too. Hard drives fail. My wife is a picture fanatic so I'm making my goal triple redundancy. iCloud photos, Google Photos, and our 1tb Apple Time Capsule does an automatic backup wirelessly every hour when I'm home. I'm paying $3.99 a month for the 200 gigabyte iCloud plan through Apple. I should be good for a long time with that much space, and it stores our original quality DSLR pictures. Google Photos downsizes those.

Also, Google Photos is automatic on her iPhone.. so I can log in and grab all of the pictures and bring them into our Apple ecosystem for safekeeping. iCloud is under my ID, Google Photos is under her Google account. She can also access my iCloud.com to get any full res picture she wants if she wants to show them or order prints. She can do this from any computer, tablet, or phone. It's pretty nice.

Mike
Post Reply