baby grand piano

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BAM!

baby grand piano

Post by BAM! »

Our living room is 13 x 18. is this too small for a baby grand yamaha PIANO? I'd like to also MAKE IT A LIVING ROOM WITH couch, etc

thanks
nordlead

Re: baby grand piano

Post by nordlead »

A baby grand is 4'11"-5'11", and then you have to add the seat, and some space around the piano.

So, at a minimum, the thing is going to take 5'x9', granted some of that 9'ft length will be open due to space needed for the pianist to move the bench and sit down. But, you'll probably want 1ft or more on all sides of the piano, so really more like 7'x10'. Basically, this thing is going to take a quarter of the room up.

Sure, you can put a couch in there too, but to me, that size room is going to end up more like a music room than a living room, which is perfectly fine if that is what you want.
Purelife304

Post by Purelife304 »

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
sport

Post by sport »

One technique that is good for fitting furniture into a room is to do a layout on paper. Make paper cutouts of everything you want to put in the room, and do it to scale. Layout the room shape on a sheet of paper and see how the cutouts fit into the space. Don't forget to include the piano bench.
Topic Author
BAM!

Post by BAM! »

paper cut out is a good idea. I'll probably do the same thing on photoshop.

I guess I was looking for personal experiences from people who own a baby grand and how well it fit into their living spaces.
JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal »

Wife has a Mason Hamlin "A", it's, what?, 5'-8" long and flares out a bit more than a baby grand does. It's in our living room with a very high ceiling (14'), room is about what you describe, there's a long sofa, couple chairs, etc. It all works and sounds great there too.
FredL

Post by FredL »

Why you want to have a baby grand? for the sound? or look nicer? I have Steinway baby grand, but I have seen a smaller Yamaha baby grand, but the sound of really small baby grand is not that good. If it is for good sound, I would suggest you look into Yamaha new hybrid piano. It is a upright piano, but has the sound of concert grand.