What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hudson

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by hudson »

sandburg wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:09 pm "Twilight of the Gods" by Ian Toll. It's the 3rd and final volume about the major Naval battles in the Pacific during WW2. Hard to put down.
What about volumes 1 and 2?
sandburg

Post by sandburg »

I read volumes 1 and 2 earlier this year. They're excellent too. Rick Atkinson's "The Liberation Trilogy" is also excellent. Mr. Atkinson's books are about the war in North Africa, Italy, and Western Europe.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Hyperion by Dan Simmons. A sci-fi classic that somehow eluded me. So far so good, but I have just started it. Very engaging and novel premise.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Just finished Bad Blood "Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley startup" by John Carreyrou. Very interesting for anyone who has experienced the SV startup culture.
sizzlefuzz

Post by sizzlefuzz »

I am reading Lawrence Wright's The Looming Tower about al Qaeda & 9/11. It is a big book (700+ pages) but I am very impressed with the detail/research that went into the book. I am about 20% into it so far.
Mid 30s | AA: 91/9 | Investing early & often
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Just started: Emily Dickinson's Poems, As She Preserved Them (2016) edited by Cristanne Miller.

Why am I reading this 800+ page book of poetry? I remember as a high school student reading one of Emily Dickenson's poems in an English class and being really impressed by it. I have not been able to find a copy of it in all these years, perhaps because I have not tried very hard. I don't remember anything about the poem, other than I liked it despite taking a bit of grief for my sissy-like behavior in participating in the class discussion.

My hope is two-fold:
1. Find that poem!
2. Run across another that I find equally compelling.

There are over 1000 poems in the book so I had better pace myself.

So far, only a few pages in, one single line of her poetry jumped out at me:
  • Night is the morning's canvas
It is an image I can see.

Interesting fact: Emily Dickinson did not formally publish ANY of her poetry. She did keep extensive hand-written copies (thus the "as she preserved them" in the book title) and she included poems in letters to family and acquaintances. What has been found of these are also included in the book.

The poems mostly do not have titles. The book indexes them by first lines. The first line of the poem with the above quote is "The feet of people walking home" so anyone with the book can find that poem in the index of first lines.
Last edited by bertilak on Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

My Cousin Rachel
by Daphne du Maurier

An intriguing novel set in 19th century England. A
young heir to an estate is puzzled then mesmerized
by the widow of his late cousin and benefactor. You
are never quite sure who is the villain or the victim
as ambiguities abound. Two films have been made
(1952 & 2017) based on this book.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

protagonist wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:58 pm Hyperion by Dan Simmons. A sci-fi classic that somehow eluded me. So far so good, but I have just started it. Very engaging and novel premise.
That uses a similar structure to The Canterbury Tales.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

bertilak wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:53 pm Just started: Emily Dickinson's Poems, As She Preserved Them
Many of her poems were written in common meter so you can entertain yourself and others by singing those to tunes such as gilligan's island or the yellow rose of texas.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

placeholder wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:29 pm
protagonist wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:58 pm Hyperion by Dan Simmons. A sci-fi classic that somehow eluded me. So far so good, but I have just started it. Very engaging and novel premise.
That uses a similar structure to The Canterbury Tales.
Yes it does! Maybe even more like the structure of The Alexandria Quartet (though I have not gotten far enough into Hyperion to say these things for certain- more an inkling). And so far it seems very well written. Did you enjoy it?
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

hicabob wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:14 pm Just finished Bad Blood "Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley startup" by John Carreyrou. Very interesting for anyone who has experienced the SV startup culture.
Sounds interesting!
I'm currently stuck at page 99 of Wade Pfau's retirement planning guidebook 😉
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

placeholder wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:31 pm
bertilak wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:53 pm Just started: Emily Dickinson's Poems, As She Preserved Them
Many of her poems were written in common meter so you can entertain yourself and others by singing those to tunes such as gilligan's island or the yellow rose of texas.
According to the editor's introduction, Dickinson favored an 8,6,7,6 meter (beats or syllables per line) but it looks like there is a LOT of variation on that.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

protagonist wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:59 pm Yes it does! Maybe even more like the structure of The Alexandria Quartet (though I have not gotten far enough into Hyperion to say these things for certain- more an inkling). And so far it seems very well written. Did you enjoy it?
Yes and the first sequel.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Cuba: an American History, by Ada Ferrer.

The author is a Cuban-Ameican historian, born in Cuba, emigrated to the U.S. as a child in 1963, and educated in the U.S.

This is a history from the time of Columbus to the current day, covering the many Cuban revolutions and revolts both in colonial times and after independence from Spain, noting the constant interaction between the Spanish colony/Cuba and the British colonies/U.S.

As far as I can tell the book seems factually accurate and as even-handed as anyone could reasonably expect. It gives extensive space to discussion of both the history of interference in Cuba by the U.S. under the Platt Amendment following Cuba's independence from Spain, and of the brutality, aggression, and many failures of the Castro regime and revolution.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Antifragile, someone mentioned it in a post on this board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifragile_(book)

Pretty interesting so far, but the prologue was in a very stream-of-consciousness style that is different than the rest of the book. I was worried the entire book would be like that but was relieved it was not when I hit the first chapter. I'm in IT and while I try to build resilient systems I'm not sure they are antifragile, I guess that is where ML and AI come in. It will be an interesting day when software becomes antifragile and can resist our attempts to shut it down. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration »

They Fought Alone - John Keats

If anyone has a particular interest in World War 2, this book about “General” Wendell Fertig and his guerrillas in Mindanao in the Philippines is very interesting.

https://archive.org/details/TheyFoughtA ... 3/mode/1up
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Orson Welles's Last Movie. The Making of The Other Side of the Wind, by Josh Karp.

Highly entertaining.

And the movie has never been released.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. Final book in his trilogy. If you like biographies, I highly recommend the three book series on Teddy.
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

The House of Morgan
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I was #1 on my library list for the Hillary Clinton, Louise Penny book State of Terror, just out. Started reading as an ebook and so far its a good story. Very different from Penny's usual novels.

It's just after the change of administrations in Washington, essentially current day. The new President and his Sec of State are not on best of terms. Then things go bad.

It got a good review in today's NYT. I'm interested in how the WSJ will review it. The reviews (only 12 so far) on Amazon seem to have a high degree of Hillary bias: roughly half are 4 and 5 *, the rest are 1*.

I like it so far and recommend it.

I've enjoyed both James Patterson/Bill Clinton books, the first more than the second, both both are good.

Lets see which Clinton does better in sales.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Just finished “Codebreakers” by Isaacson. Now on “Thunderstruck”, by Erik Larsen.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

jebmke wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:02 pm Just finished “Codebreakers” by Isaacson. Now on “Thunderstruck”, by Erik Larsen.
Oh, that's the one about Marconi. Fantastic. Of all the books of his I've read, I liked it best. Of course I always want more on the engineering, science, and technology, and less on the crime.

Yeah, I always get it wrong, too: apparently his first name is Erik-with-a-K but his last name is Larson-with-an-O.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Hunting Wind, by Steve Hamilton.

An ex-Detroit police officer lives in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. An old buddy from his days in minor league baseball resurfaces after 30 years, and asks help in finding a former girlfriend. The search for the lost love moves to Detroit and then small-towns near Lake Michigan, with lots of plot twists.

Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Recommended to me by a retired Historian from an Ivy League University.

Light reading at 600 pages.
Heavily researched.

“Mao: The Unknown Story”
By Jung Chang.

Well written, Read easy but may be too much uncomfortable vivid truth for some.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I just finished "The Dark Horse" by Craig Johnson the 5th book in the Longmire series. Excellent. Now I am going to read the whole series in order. "The Cold Dish" is the first in the series.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Dave55 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:02 pm I just finished "The Dark Horse" by Craig Johnson the 5th book in the Longmire series. Excellent. Now I am going to read the whole series in order. "The Cold Dish" is the first in the series.

Dave
Dave, I can recommend 🚀How to Deal with Difficult People! 😂
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

An often overlooked fact is that many of the Caribbean colonies had large Jewish populations (some approaching 50%). The Jewish World of Alexander Hamilton by Andrew Porwancher explores this connection with the idea that Hamilton himself had a Jewish background. It then goes on to explore Hamilton's career and Jewish history during and after the Revolution.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Little Book of Common Sense Investing — by John C. Bogle, where he methodically and persuasively presents his argument for the overwhelming advantages of index investing. I borrowed the e-book from my local public library. I know I’m preaching to the choir here but I’m enjoying the book.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

heartwood wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:54 pm I was #1 on my library list for the Hillary Clinton, Louise Penny book State of Terror, just out. Started reading as an ebook and so far its a good story. Very different from Penny's usual novels.

It's just after the change of administrations in Washington, essentially current day. The new President and his Sec of State are not on best of terms. Then things go bad.

It got a good review in today's NYT. I'm interested in how the WSJ will review it. The reviews (only 12 so far) on Amazon seem to have a high degree of Hillary bias: roughly half are 4 and 5 *, the rest are 1*.

I've enjoyed both James Patterson/Bill Clinton books, the first more than the second, both both are good.

Finished this today. I'll amend my comments above to reflect that the good story at the start went downhill for me. It's got a story, but also a very partisan agenda. I would not recommend it for most readers.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Ghost Soldiers - Hampton Sides

Well-written account of the raid by elements of the 6th Ranger Battalion on the Cabantanuan POW camp to rescue 500+ prisoners in 1944 before they were killed by the retreating Japanese army. The book alternates between the details of the planning and execution of the raid, and the suffering and atrocities faced by the prisoners on the Bataan Death March and life in the brutal POW camps. One fascinating new thing I learned was about the existence of the Alamo Scouts, an elite reconnaissance group that operated behind Japanese lines in order to gather intelligence. The scouts executed over 100 missions and never lost a man, whether killed or captured. The intelligence they gathered on the layout of the POW camp was critical to the success of the raid.

Madame Fourcade's Secret War: The Daring Young Woman Who Led France's Largest Spy Network Against Hitler - Lynne Olson

A somewhat dry, factual, but at times dull account of Marie Fourcade, a courageous woman who took over leadership of the French "Alliance" espionage network after the original leader was arrested, despite all the resistance she faced due to her gender. At it's peak, the network had about 3000 agents, before it was gradually taken apart by German anti-espionage efforts. The book depicts the politics in Vichy France, the collaboration with English intelligence sources, the intelligence successes despite the constant fear of being arrested and tortured by the Germans.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

heartwood wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:53 am
heartwood wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:54 pm I was #1 on my library list for the Hillary Clinton, Louise Penny book State of Terror, just out. Started reading as an ebook and so far its a good story. Very different from Penny's usual novels.

Finished this today. I'll amend my comments above to reflect that the good story at the start went downhill for me. It's got a story, but also a very partisan agenda. I would not recommend it for most readers.
I'm Shocked! Shocked! .... well, not that shocked.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

I should know better than to read this thread, or the movies/TV/sci-fi threads, since I can't keep up with what I'm supposed to be reading.

One excuse is that things like Dan Simmons' Hyperion, structured like the Canterbury Tales, or Sinclair Lewis' It Can't Happen Here might be shoehorned into some of the courses I teach. Hey, if I even mention them in class I can tell myself it was research, right?

What I'm reading, that is not work related, is Richard M. Bookstaber, A Demon of Our Own Design. Kind of surprising myself since I have nowhere enough math to know what he's talking about, but then apparently people who were handling serious amounts of money didn't either and couldn't bring themselves to admit it or to care whose houses they burned down. Will probably tackle his new one, The End of Theory just because that's a satisfying thought. (Literary theory was my grey-haired grad student acne!) Back to work.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

Check out these two books.

TIGHTROPE by Nicholas D. Kristol. Mr. Kristol just resigned from The New York Times and is expected to run for governor of Oregon. Growing up on a farm in Yamhill, Oregon he went to Harvard when many of his neighbors' kids never finished high school and died from alcohol, drugs, obesity or went to prison. These were white boys and girls, too. Wow.

LIFE AFTER GOOGLE by George Gilder. Mind blowing if you are interested in how technology (Google, Amazon,Apple, Facebook) have taken charge of our lives without our knowing it. Our brain, however, still moves faster than AI but will we be able to use its potential to save ourselves.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Jim, Jimmy, James and Steve. The story of the men who defined the way we think about evolution, gravity religion, finance, typing, watchmaking, hair cutting and ironing.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

James McGrath Morris’s new biography, Tony Hillerman: A Life.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

"The Good Son" by Michael Gruber was awesome.
Insights into Pakistani and Afghan life, plot twists, surprise endings.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Son-Novel-Michael-Gruber/dp/B005GNKI6C

[This book has nothing to do with the movie of the same title starring Macaulay Culkin.]
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin

(In Greek mythology, Prometheus is a Titan god of fire. Prometheus is credited with defying the gods by stealing fire and giving it to humanity).

I’d always meant to read this biography as I find Oppenheimer an interesting character. He was the father of the atomic bomb, leading the effort in Los Alamos in WWII to beat the Germans to the bomb. He became so obsessed with the problem that he kept up the effort at full speed even after the end of the European war. Then, after the two atomic bombings of Japan, he felt deep remorse, saying “I feel I have blood on my hands”. He spoke about containing the technology and opposed the development of the “super”, or H-bomb. This was contrary to American policy at the time and for this he was sidelined and lost his security clearance, which was a great personal blow.

The man was a genius. If he wanted to read a foreign book, he wouldn’t read a translation, he would first learn the language the book was written in, then read the book. For example he learned Sanskrit in order to read the Bhagavad Gita in the original.

The author Martin Sherwin died recently which brought this title back to mind. I checked a copy out of my local public library.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joelly

Post by joelly »

The Killing Kind by Jane Casey
so far very happy with her
first time reading her
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

I’m rereading this:
Big House, Little House, Back House, Barn: The Connected Farm Buildings of New England, Thomas C. Hubka, University Press of New England, Hanover, NH, 1984.

Here’s a description of what one is:
https://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/ ... n.html?m=1

I’m always on the lookout for these old farm houses.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

"Metabolical: The Lure and the Lies of Processed Food, Nutrition, and Modern Medicine," by Robert Lustig., MD. You may have seen or heard of the Youtube video that went viral and put Dr. Lustig on the map: "Sugar: The Bitter Truth." He is also the author of two previous books, "Fat Chance" and the "The Hacking of the American Mind" both of which I have read and found interesting. So when I saw that he had a new book, I had to get it.

Dr. Lustig is outspoken and can get ranty, and it seems this tendency has accelerated since he has retired from UCSF Medical Center. He would guess he feels fewer constraints. This can get tiresome, but nonetheless I find the book to be of high interest and recommend it.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

"The Lost Man" by Jane Harper
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. Halfway through. Easier to read than James Joyce.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Indian World of George Washington, by Colin G. Calloway.

This is a history of George Washington's life before the presidency and the influence of the frontier on his development.

In his personal life, he was a surveyor and his desire for acquisition of Indian land on the frontier was a prime concern of his. His development as a soldier was influenced by his fighting Indians, the English, and French on the frontier and by his need for Indian allies.

Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

BalancedJCB19 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:14 pm Jim, Jimmy, James and Steve. The story of the men who defined the way we think about evolution, gravity religion, finance, typing, watchmaking, hair cutting and ironing.
That doesn't seem to be a book title, so could you tell us more?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I mentioned Hyperion above.

I am now 75% through the first book in the series ("Hyperion") , and I can say unequivocally that it is in my top 5 sci-fi novels ever. I'm surprised I never heard of it until recently. It is one of the few I have read that is not at all formulaic...the premises are very complex but not overly confusing, very engaging, and unfold slowly as you go along. Definitely a "page-turner", and quite revolutionary writing for the late 1980s.

Lots of funny quirks that you could criticize (eg: people in the 28th century still read paper books and write with pens!). OK, it was written in 1989, and nobody even thought about e-books at that time. But really.... And there are enough similar quirlks like that in the book, but giving the author the benefit of the doubt (given the frequent interjected humor), I think maybe that stuff was in there for a laugh. "Progress" is hardly symmetric, even now.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:19 pm
BalancedJCB19 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:14 pm Jim, Jimmy, James and Steve. The story of the men who defined the way we think about evolution, gravity religion, finance, typing, watchmaking, hair cutting and ironing.
That doesn't seem to be a book title, so could you tell us more?
Yes, it is a book written by Maximilien Robespierre the first book of Cult of the Supreme Being which later merged into Theophilanthropy. The religion has been defunct since July 28, 1974, but the wisdom of this one particular book is timeless. Fascinating look in various disciplines, especially when they do a deep dive of the quartz crisis or revolution. Part 1: A Concise History Of The Quartz Revolution. There are also six chapters about ironing a dress shirt that is fascinating, but I believe these chapters were written after the religion became defunct and this part may have been written by Steve and none of the Jimmys. The Third book of Jimmy is mostly about gravity and typing.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

"Pacific Crucible: War At Sea In The Pacific 1941-42", by Ian W. Toll (W.W. Norton and Co. 2012)

This book has been reviewed and praised multiple times in this thread, so I am just jumping on the bandwagon here. Can't believe it took me so long to get around to opening Toll's first volume of his superb trilogy. Wonderful profiles of Yamamoto, Nimitz, King, and Spruance. Probably the best explanation of the Battle Of The Coral Sea that I have ever read. The description of Doolittle's Raiders taking off from the Hornet is so exquisitely detailed that I felt seasick while reclining in my rocker in my living room. You don't know utter horror until you've read about sailors (from both sides) trying to survive in a conflagration on a carrier caused by pin-point bombing. Toll's prose is the equal of or better than Rick Atkinson's. Needless to say, I am off tomorrow to pick up volume 2 from the library.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

"How To Make An Apple Pie From Scratch", by Harry Cliff (Doubleday 2021)

This is not a book about baking. On a regular basis, practicing physicists descend from the upper stratosphere and try to educate the great unwashed "general public" about the past, present, and potential future of their beloved livelihood. These attempts at elucidation don't always turn out so well. I own two excellent books by Robert Adair (Brookhaven Lab) and Gerard 't Hooft (Nobel Laureate) that I wouldn't think of giving to your average high school physics student - unless, of course, that student was the reincarnation of Steven Weinberg (also Nobel Laureate, deceased 07/23/21 :( ).

In the case of Dr. Harry Cliff, particle physicist, we've got a winner. Cliff wants to explain the universe to you and fortunately he has retained the common touch after years of grinding through to his PhD and post-doc assignments. He is always enthusiastic, has a great sense of humor, and his explanations of esoteric material are carefully presented and mostly comprehensible. This guy travels all over the place to important physics sites and I don't know how he affords it. He has worked at the CERN Large Hadron Collider, and has visited the Brookhaven National Laboratory, the LIGO array in Louisiana, the Apache Point Observatory in New Mexico, the Borexino neutrino detector in Italy, and the Blackett Laboratory in London. Each visit is presented as an example of how current physics is trying to expand our understanding of existence. His excitement jumps off the pages and will infect you, especially when he describes possible future experiments in fundamental physics. As a bonus, he offers a yummy recipe for apple pie in an appendix.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
Speckles

Post by Speckles »

“Living Alaskan Dreams and Burning the Past” by Jade Murphy and Jason Highcamp

Non-fiction story about the author moving to Alaska in the 1980’s with less than $2 in his pocket, then homesteading, mushing, getting a mail order girlfriend, and surviving as one of a dying breed - an Alaskan homesteader.

The hand-written inscription from the author on my copy reads:

“If you think you’re in a hopeless place - you’re not. You’re just at the beginning of your journey”.

This is the second volume of three, but I just happened to read this one first. A wild adventure! A road I considered in my life, but ended up not choosing.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Living+Alaskan+dreams

Specks