What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MP173

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by MP173 »

Currently reading "The Neon Rain" by James Lee Burke which is an early Dave Robicheaux novel (written in 1987). I had skipped this and purchased at a garage sale this summer. About 1/3 into it - Dave and Clete are New Orleans detectives...early in their careers. Lots of demons with Dave and the bottle.

Looking forward to finishing this off and finding any other early Robicheaux novels I missed.

Ed
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

aristotelian wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:12 pm
protagonist wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:58 pm Hyperion by Dan Simmons. A sci-fi classic that somehow eluded me. So far so good, but I have just started it. Very engaging and novel premise.
Very different kind of book, but Simmons' The Terror is also excellent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terror_(novel)
Thanks!
I'm in the middle of the second book in the Hyperion series now.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:50 am For Cause and Comrades, by James M. McPherson.

The subtitle is: Why men fought in the Civil War.

The book is based on diaries, and letters home by officers and enlisted men both federal and rebel.

The book focuses primarily on volunteers, and discusses what motivated both initial enlistment and reenlistment, the changes in motivation as the war progressed, and reasons for continued devotion over the years of the Civil War in spite of enormous hardships and casualties.

I usually appreciate history based on first hand contemporary sources, rather than later recollections or secondary sources. Recommended.
Sounds lke a very interesting book.
scguy613

Post by scguy613 »

MP173, James Lee Burke is one of my favorite authors. I like all of his books, but prefer the Robicheaux books over the Holland series.
apple44

Post by apple44 »

I just finished "The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race." Fascinating read. A lot of science, some character studies, and some debate on ethical issues of gene editing. I now definitely understand a lot more on DNA, RNA, mRNA, gene editing, etc.

Highly recommend!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

apple44 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:25 am I just finished "The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race." Fascinating read. A lot of science, some character studies, and some debate on ethical issues of gene editing. I now definitely understand a lot more on DNA, RNA, mRNA, gene editing, etc.

Highly recommend!
This was a very good book. A couple of other books on the same topic which I recommend are:

"The Gene - An Intimate History" by Muckherjee

and

"The Tangled Tree of Life: A Radical New History of Life" by Quammen.

Some of the historical bits will show up in all the books but they have different general focus. "The Gene" is a good overview of the history of genetics. The second book focuses mainly on evolutionary genetics.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Abe: Abraham Lincoln and His Times, by David S. Reynolds.

The book concentrates on on cultural influences on Lincoln and his political stances. This includes a good discussion of Lincoln's ancestors, his early life in Kentucky, anti-slavery sentiment in Kentucky, and his youth in Indiana.

A minor irritation is the author's attempts to use 21st century terminology to label 19th century attitudes.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
hudson

Post by hudson »

sandburg wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:11 pm I read volumes 1 and 2 earlier this year. They're excellent too. Rick Atkinson's "The Liberation Trilogy" is also excellent. Mr. Atkinson's books are about the war in North Africa, Italy, and Western Europe.
Volumes 1-3 done. Wow! Atkinson is next. Any other recommendations?
Last edited by hudson on Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:20 am A minor irritation is the author's attempts to use 21st century terminology to label 19th century attitudes.
A pet peeve of mine in a lot of areas.
Last edited by bertilak on Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

jebmke wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:33 am
apple44 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:25 am I just finished "The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race." Fascinating read. A lot of science, some character studies, and some debate on ethical issues of gene editing. I now definitely understand a lot more on DNA, RNA, mRNA, gene editing, etc.

Highly recommend!
This was a very good book. A couple of other books on the same topic which I recommend are:

"The Gene - An Intimate History" by Muckherjee

and

Some of the historical bits will show up in all the books but they have different general focus. "The Gene" is a good overview of the history of genetics. The second book focuses mainly on evolutionary genetics.
The ongoing thread “What non-frugal thing I did today” should have an entry in it from me: “Read ‘What book are you currently reading?’” because I invariably wind up ordering some after I drop into this thread :D Here I go again.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

jebmke wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:29 pm "Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History"

by S.C. Gwynne

About 40% of the way through. Can't remember how I stumbled on this. Quanah Parker was the son of Cynthia Ann Parker who was kidnapped by the Comanches in 1836.
Great book, I read it from the library and bought a copy to reread someday.

I am currently reading:

The secret life of Houdini : the making of America's first superhero by Kalush, William
I'm only through chapters 1 and 2 but am really enjoying it so far, it's like a history lesson and biography in one.

and

Thunder below! : the USS Barb revolutionizes submarine warfare in World War II by Fluckey, Eugene B
This one is an interesting but difficult read, he uses a lot of marine/submarine/military jargon and doesn't define it, so being a civilian I have to stop and look things up quite often to understand. Not a bad thing, just makes for slow (but informational) reading. This one was recommended when I was watching the arctic submarine series on the YouTube channel "Smarter Every Day"
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:12 pm The ongoing thread “What non-frugal thing I did today” should have an entry in it from me: “Read ‘What book are you currently reading?’” because I invariably wind up ordering some after I drop into this thread :D Here I go again.
Consider making use of your public library first instead of immediately buying a book. You’ll save money and since you’re already paying for the library anyway through your tax levy you might as well make use of it. I go there first and if they don’t carry it I’ll consider a purchase, Kindle or used first. Most new books are carried, sometimes I have to wait in queue but I don’t mind. If it’s public domain I can download it free. If you’re already doing this or somehow have no access then my apologies. :D
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:41 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:12 pm The ongoing thread “What non-frugal thing I did today” should have an entry in it from me: “Read ‘What book are you currently reading?’” because I invariably wind up ordering some after I drop into this thread :D Here I go again.
Consider making use of your public library first instead of immediately buying a book. You’ll save money and since you’re already paying for the library anyway through your tax levy you might as well make use of it. I go there first and if they don’t carry it I’ll consider a purchase, Kindle or used first. Most new books are carried, sometimes I have to wait in queue but I don’t mind. If it’s public domain I can download it free. If you’re already doing this or somehow have no access then my apologies. :D
When we moved here 4 years ago, the library renovation was years behind. It is still years behind and millions (!) of dollars over budget. It is shameful. It’s a small town and my share of the cost is staggering. They are open in another building, but I am a conscientious objector :D I also like to own books, as I often start one, put it aside, and then go back 6 months later. Additionally, when my kids visit, they scan the bookshelves and on occasion pick one up, which is delightful for a parent.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Jonathan Franzen, Crossroads.

Tolstoy said, “All happy families are alike, but every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” Franzen’s stock in trade is unhappy families. Franzen is a good writer, but I’m still sorting out what I think of this particular unhappy family.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

I'm still plowing through Michener's "The Source." Four months in, I'm finally at the Crusades.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I'm tutoring a Brazilian student who is fluent in English and reads contemporary novels for entertainment as well as skill-building. She really likes Stephen King, and interestingly to me--his books have high Lexile scores and are not easy English on the face of it--says that King writes in a way that makes it easy for her to guess, from context, the meanings of unfamiliar words.

So I've been reading quite a bit of Stephen King. We both read The Outsider, and I found Holly Gibney to be such a captivating character that I went back and read the "Bill Hodges trilogy" (Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers, End of Watch) on my own, and Billy Summers which for some reason was available for eBook loan from my library while I was waiting for one of the others. And The Stand is currently on sale as a Kindle eBook for $1.99--gotta admire the unit price per page--so I'm re-reading that. This is the expanded or uncut edition. It's been several decades since I read it before and I don't think I'm going to be able to tell what was added.

I don't like King when he goes overboard on sheer meanness and nastiness and exploding corpses and such, and I had come to the conclusion that he'd peaked, and had stopped reading him, but I think it was a misjudgement.

I recently read Anthony Doerr's Cloud Cuckoo Land which is excellent, anyone who liked All the Light We Cannot See will like this one, even if there were one or two plot details I found annoying (but won't spoil).

And also The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate DiCamillo. Her stuff I think is targeted at middle school readers. I got onto it because her first book, Because of Winn-Dixie is now considered a modern classic and very very good for adult English language learners. I have read maybe eight of her books now and about half of them, including this one, have made me, let's say choke up and leak a bit at the corners of my eyes.
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Zeno wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:19 am I'm still plowing through Michener's "The Source." Four months in, I'm finally at the Crusades.
Did you buy it as a bargain eBook? They seem to be doing through a regular cycle of bargain prices on his books. I keep buying them and not reading them.

Even when it came out, I had a minor problem with The Source. I couldn't suspend disbelief at the idea of archaeologists not recognizing a menorah. (Kind of like my problem with Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code, of genius cryptologists not being able to decode mirror writing).

I keep waiting for The Fires of Spring to come out as a bargain eBook. That was his first novel. It's just a "straight" novel, not one of his patented docudrama-novels, and it's lovely.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:59 am
Zeno wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:19 am I'm still plowing through Michener's "The Source." Four months in, I'm finally at the Crusades.
Did you buy it as a bargain eBook? They seem to be doing through a regular cycle of bargain prices on his books. I keep buying them and not reading them.

Even when it came out, I had a minor problem with The Source. I couldn't suspend disbelief at the idea of archaeologists not recognizing a menorah. (Kind of like my problem with Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code, of genius cryptologists not being able to decode mirror writing).

I keep waiting for The Fires of Spring to come out as a bargain eBook. That was his first novel. It's just a "straight" novel, not one of his patented docudrama-novels, and it's lovely.
I downloaded it to Kindle a few months ago on recommendation of DW. Substantively, I find the narrative on the fluidity of religions generally to be compelling. I struggle somewhat with Michener’s writing style, though I have since come to understand that he was somewhat well known for run-on sentences.

I have come to accept the Kindle, and it is powerful to be able to download a book with a mere click. That said, just as I miss the tactile aspects of paper newspapers, I miss physical books as well. I suspect Michener might be more accessible via a physical book.

I grew up listening to Mom and Dad’s “South Pacific” album, based on the musical. My Dad fought in WW2. “I’m Going to Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair” and all that. I didn’t realize until recently that musical was based on a Michener novel as well. I am shockingly poorly read. I tend to only read non-fiction.

Thank you for the note about his first book.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:53 am I'm tutoring a Brazilian student who is fluent in English and reads contemporary novels for entertainment as well as skill-building. She really likes Stephen King, and interestingly to me--his books have high Lexile scores and are not easy English on the face of it--says that King writes in a way that makes it easy for her to guess, from context, the meanings of unfamiliar words.

So I've been reading quite a bit of Stephen King. We both read The Outsider, and I found Holly Gibney to be such a captivating character that I went back and read the "Bill Hodges trilogy" (Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers, End of Watch) on my own, and Billy Summers which for some reason was available for eBook loan from my library while I was waiting for one of the others. And The Stand is currently on sale as a Kindle eBook for $1.99--gotta admire the unit price per page--so I'm re-reading that. This is the expanded or uncut edition. It's been several decades since I read it before and I don't think I'm going to be able to tell what was added.

I don't like King when he goes overboard on sheer meanness and nastiness and exploding corpses and such, and I had come to the conclusion that he'd peaked, and had stopped reading him, but I think it was a misjudgement.

I recently read Anthony Doerr's Cloud Cuckoo Land which is excellent, anyone who liked All the Light We Cannot See will like this one, even if there were one or two plot details I found annoying (but won't spoil).

And also The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate DiCamillo. Her stuff I think is targeted at middle school readers. I got onto it because her first book, Because of Winn-Dixie is now considered a modern classic and very very good for adult English language learners. I have read maybe eight of her books now and about half of them, including this one, have made me, let's say choke up and leak a bit at the corners of my eyes.
Thanks for the heads up about the kindle version of The Stand. My hands have some arthritis and holding the book is aproblem.
hudson

Post by hudson »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:53 am I don't like King when he goes overboard on sheer meanness and nastiness and exploding corpses and such, and I had come to the conclusion that he'd peaked, and had stopped reading him, but I think it was a misjudgment.
Most of the really scary stuff was in his earlier books.
Usually he's hot; sometimes not.
I've read everything he's put out. If he was getting ready to release his laundry list, I would probably do a Kindle eBook Pre-Order.
Whenever I run out of good stuff, I re-read his Dark Tower series. It has plenty of baby boomer humor or expressions.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Personally, I think King is a grossly overrated author.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I finished The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave. It was a skip-the-line ebook offering from my library. An easy read over two days. A husband and father disappears with only brief notes to his wife and his own teenage daughter. Decent writing and story.

No sooner I finished it than the new Lee Child/Andrew Child Jack Reacher book Better Off Dead showed up as a skip-the-line. Just starting it today without high hopes. The last one was a real stinker for me.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I am going thru my pile of books picked up at garage sales this summer.

Earlier this week it was "The Neon Rain" by James Lee Burke from earlier in his career...the last book before Dave Robicheaux moved from New Orleans. It had slipped by me earlier.

Today I finished "Lost Light" by Michael Connelly, a 2003 Harry Bosch book which had also slipped by. Excellent...Harry is retired at age 52 and looking into a case which had never been solved involving a murder and a heist of $2million. Harry also discovers he is a father.

Burke and Connelly - two of my favorites.
Ed
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I'm in a book club with a couple of guys. Finished The Fifth Risk by Michael Lewis for our last get together. It's a short book about the complexity of various functions / services provided by our government often from selfless individuals.

Just starting Ron Chernow's biography of Ulysses S. Grant. I'm only on chapter 2, but so far an excellent read. Fun fact - His real name is Hyram Ulysses Grant, but he disliked Hyram and went by his middle name. When his congressman wrote the recommendation for Grant to West Point, he mistakenly listed the applicant as Ulysses S. Grant, and the error followed Grant for the rest of his life.
93Boiler

Post by 93Boiler »

Just finished "The Only Plane in the Sky".
jdb

Post by jdb »

:mrgreen:
Zeno wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:35 am
nisiprius wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:59 am

I downloaded it to Kindle a few months ago on recommendation of DW. Substantively, I find the narrative on the fluidity of religions generally to be compelling. I struggle somewhat with Michener’s writing style, though I have since come to understand that he was somewhat well known for run-on sentences.

I have come to accept the Kindle, and it is powerful to be able to download a book with a mere click. That said, just as I miss the tactile aspects of paper newspapers, I miss physical books as well. I suspect Michener might be more accessible via a physical book.

I grew up listening to Mom and Dad’s “South Pacific” album, based on the musical. My Dad fought in WW2. “I’m Going to Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair” and all that. I didn’t realize until recently that musical was based on a Michener novel as well. I am shockingly poorly read. I tend to only read non-fiction.

Thank you for the note about his first book.
Interesting. A few months ago while visiting local used bookstore bought hardcover copy of Tales of South Pacific by Michener. It is a series of short stories, Michener was a Naval Officer in South Pacific during war and the stories seem to be based on his experiences. The musical and movie bear only faintest resemblance to novel, maybe based on 10 percent of novel, which was awarded Pulitzer Prize in late 1940s. I found it great time travel, though kept remembering my late father’s comments. He had served 4 years in South Pacific in Army, including over year in New Guinea jungles, when I was young man looking for military enlistment he advised the Navy, saying that they always had dry beds to sleep in every night. All of Michener’s Navy Officers in his stories followed his adage. I recommend book, great time travel. Good luck.
arajeshn

Post by arajeshn »

Empire of Pain by Patrick Radden Keefe
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

There is Nothing For You Here: Finding Opportunity in the 21st Century by Fiona Hill (2021)

This is an autobiographical account of the author’s impoverished upbringing in a small blighted city in NE England. The formerly prosperous coal mining area she’s from fell on hard times after the mines closed. But through luck and hard work she managed to escape receiving a university education at St. Andrews in Scotland and a PhD. from Harvard University. She became a U.S. citizen and went on to posts as a Russia expert in the U.S. Gov’t.

I’m about halfway through and I’m enjoying it. She’s written several other books including a biography of Vladimir Putin which I’m also interested in reading.
bartbill

Post by bartbill »

jebmke wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:29 pm "Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History"

by S.C. Gwynne

About 40% of the way through. Can't remember how I stumbled on this. Quanah Parker was the son of Cynthia Ann Parker who was kidnapped by the Comanches in 1836.
You might like "Ride the Wind" by Robson. Historical novel about Quanah and Cynthia. Good read.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

I Recently purchased the Kindle version of "Dead Moutain". I was totally captivated by the mystery surrounding this incident. Interestingly enough, the incident happened in February 1959 and there was still an active investigation in 2020 as to what really happened during that expedition. The following is a brief description from WIKIPEDIA titled........"Dyatlov Pass incident".

The Dyatlov Pass incident (Russian: гибель тургруппы Дятлова, lit. 'The Dyatlov Group demise') was an event in which nine Russian hikers died in the northern Ural Mountains between 1 and 2 February 1959, in uncertain circumstances. The experienced trekking group from the Ural Polytechnical Institute, led by Igor Dyatlov, had established a camp on the eastern slopes of Kholat Syakhl. During the night, something caused them to cut their way out of their tent and flee the campsite while inadequately dressed for the heavy snowfall and subzero temperatures.

After the group's bodies were discovered, an investigation by Soviet authorities determined that six had died from hypothermia while the other three had been killed by physical trauma. One victim had major skull damage, two had severe chest trauma, and another had a small crack in the skull. Four of the bodies were found lying in running water in a creek, and three of these had soft tissue damage of the head and face – two of the bodies were missing their eyes, one was missing its tongue, and one was missing its eyebrows. The investigation concluded that a "compelling natural force" had caused the deaths. Numerous theories have been put forward to account for the unexplained deaths, including animal attacks, hypothermia, avalanche, katabatic winds, infrasound-induced panic, military involvement, or some combination of these.

Russia opened a new investigation into the incident in 2019, and its conclusions were presented in July 2020: that an avalanche had led to the deaths. Survivors of the avalanche had been forced to suddenly leave their camp in low visibility conditions with inadequate clothing, and had died of hypothermia. Andrey Kuryakov, deputy head of the regional prosecutor's office, said: "It was a heroic struggle. There was no panic. But they had no chance to save themselves under the circumstances."[1] A study led by scientists from EPFL and ETH Zurich, published in 2021, suggested that a type of avalanche known as a slab avalanche could explain some of the injuries.[2][3]

A mountain pass in the area has later been named Dyatlov Pass in memory of the group. In many languages, the incident is now referred to as the "Dyatlov Pass incident". However, the incident occurred about 1700 metres away, on the eastern slope of Kholat Syakhl.[2] A prominent rock outcrop in the area is now a memorial to the group. It is located about 500 metres east-southeast of the actual site of the final camp.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

jebmke wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:33 am

I'm reading Tangled Tree now. He is such a good writer and it is amazing to learn that basically everything I was taught in high school biology on the subject was wrong!

I read Quammen's book "Spillover" in November, 2019 and thought "wow, we could be in for it at any time", and sure enough. Great book, especially in the light of the last couple of years.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

chuckb84 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:28 am

I'm reading Tangled Tree now. He is such a good writer and it is amazing to learn that basically everything I was taught in high school biology on the subject was wrong!

I had the same reaction -- "how is it I'm only hearing about this now!"

Thanks for the tip on "Spillover"
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

How Music Got Free by S.Witt. I just found this book (it was published 2015-2016). I thought it was very good in its description of the beginings of the CD format and the rise of the MP3 compression scheme and how this drove the modern day culture of digital piracy. Very well written and with captivating vignettes of the principals that created what we have today.
Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 »

Two books I'm currently reading:

1. "Love is the Way" by the Reverend Michael Curry, Head of the Episcopal Church in America, and
2. "Stupid Things I Won't Do When I Get Old," by Steven Petrow, New York Times contributor and Washington Post columnist

I like a balanced reading diet.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

Money for Nothing by Thomas Levenson, which is a fascinating history of modern money, how government paper first began to be used and traded in lieu of gold and silver. I am sure many here would love to discover it.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

jebmke wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:34 am Just finished "The Survivors" by Jane Harper and started "Alone" by Lisa Gardner as my evening "mental chewing gum" book.

Daytime read is "The Alignment Problem: Machine Learning and Human Values" by Brian Christian. About a third of the way in.
Thank you so much for this recommendation. I am only 100 pages into The Alignment Problem, but it is fascinating.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Just purchased Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I read The Road years ago by this author and thought it was great
Blues

Post by Blues »

Ramjet wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:48 am Just purchased Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I read The Road years ago by this author and thought it was great
He's one of my favorite authors. Hard to choose just one...but I always recommend the "Border Trilogy" among others.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Republic of Debtors by Bruce Mann

The American Revolution not only brought about fundamental political change, but economic upheaval. By some estimates, the economy did not recover until the Jefferson administration. Congress attempted to deal with debtors who were sentenced to jail, and hence no way for most to pay it off, with the Bankruptcy Act of 1800. (Robert Morris, commonly called the financier of the Revolution went to debtors prison but got out; his partner died in prison.) This book brings to light an often forgotten part of the early Republic.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Blues wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:49 am
Ramjet wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:48 am Just purchased Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I read The Road years ago by this author and thought it was great
He's one of my favorite authors. Hard to choose just one...but I always recommend the "Border Trilogy" among others.
Blood Meridian is such a challenging read; a book that is not easily understood or forgotten. I am currently reading "Kite Runner" and listening to the "The Long Walk" (Stephen King). Kite Runner started out so good but the end sort of becomes like a Hollywood movie.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Thanks
Blues

Post by Blues »

Ramjet wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:52 am
Thanks
You're welcome. "Blood Meridian" was quite a ride. It made a lasting impression. I found some parallels, at least to my mind, between it and "No Country for Old Men".

"Suttree" is another of McCarthy's older classics...but a different book entirely from the above.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:44 am
jebmke wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:34 am Just finished "The Survivors" by Jane Harper and started "Alone" by Lisa Gardner as my evening "mental chewing gum" book.

Daytime read is "The Alignment Problem: Machine Learning and Human Values" by Brian Christian. About a third of the way in.
Thank you so much for this recommendation. I am only 100 pages into The Alignment Problem, but it is fascinating.
Glad you are enjoying it. It can get a bit wonky at some points but I kept being drawn along. It seems very well researched.
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

The Real Anthony Fauci: Bill Gates, Big Pharma, and the Global War on Democracy and Public Health by Robert F. Kennedy.
Pandemia: How Coronavirus Hysteria Took Over Our Government, Rights, and Lives by Alex Berenson.

Fascinating reads. Both $3 on Kindle.
Don't Work Forever.
v1rtus

Post by v1rtus »

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who reads multiple books at a time. I'm currently reading:

Saving Capitalism by Robert Reich
Billion Dollar Whale by Tom Wright and Bradley Hope
The Enemies of my Country by Jason Kasper
The BH Guide to Investing (this one is a re-read) :happy
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty

Roughly 100 pages in, and just wow.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

"Man in the Arena" about Jack Bogle.

Best Wishes
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “It is the power of words and books, explaining and dramatizing great ideals, that is the greatest weapon in the missionary’s arsenal.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

Sooley by John Grisham

Enjoyed it. 4 out 5.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"Imperium" by Robert Harris. Fictional biography of Cicero, Roman senator. Excellent story, characters and the writing is also top notch. Hard put down.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

MP173 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:07 pm Currently reading "The Neon Rain" by James Lee Burke which is an early Dave Robicheaux novel (written in 1987). I had skipped this and purchased at a garage sale this summer. About 1/3 into it - Dave and Clete are New Orleans detectives...early in their careers. Lots of demons with Dave and the bottle.

Looking forward to finishing this off and finding any other early Robicheaux novels I missed.

Ed
I love all of James Lee Burkes books!

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion