What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tooluser

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by tooluser »

MP173 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:51 pm "Post Covid" by Scott Galloway.
It appears that the full title is "Post Corona: From Crisis to Opportunity".
Most of us type from memory... :wink:
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I just started reading Toni Morrison's "Song of Solomon".

Why?

Because a friend listed a dozen books he recently read, including War and Peace, and said that of those dozen books S. of S. was his fav.

He has recommended books to me in the past, and I respect his judgment.

Roll over, Leo Tolstoy!
blacklab

Post by blacklab »

Just finished 2 books which were coincidentally Russian themed one fiction and one nonfiction.

The Spy and the Traitor by Ben Macintyre.
The true story of a senior level KGB agent recruited by MI6 during the height of the Cold War in 1980s.
Riveting story of how the agent was betrayed by the CIAs Aldrich Ames but successfully exfiltrated from grip of KGB.
Highly recommend.

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles.
Really delightful story of an aristocratic gentleman in post Revolutionary Russia who is spared execution but confined to live out his days in the same hotel in Moscow.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

blacklab wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:07 am Just finished 2 books which were coincidentally Russian themed one fiction and one nonfiction.

The Spy and the Traitor by Ben Macintyre.
The true story of a senior level KGB agent recruited by MI6 during the height of the Cold War in 1980s.
Riveting story of how the agent was betrayed by the CIAs Aldrich Ames but successfully exfiltrated from grip of KGB.
Highly recommend.

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles.
Really delightful story of an aristocratic gentleman in post Revolutionary Russia who is spared execution but confined to live out his days in the same hotel in Moscow.
I read A Gentleman in Moscow awhile ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Towles's other book, Rules of Civility", is also a good and maybe better read.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I ... bl_vppi_i1

My comments in 2019 "He had another highly acclaimed book in 2011, Rules of Civility, described as a novel of a young woman in post-Depression New York City. It didn't sound like my type of book but I borrowed it. I'm halfway into it and find it one of the better stories and writings I've had this year."
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I am re-listening to Dumas' "The Count of Monte Cristo" via Audible. I bought back in 2009, and first listened to it then. The narrator is John Lee and he does an excellent job. It's long (47 hours) but I highly recommend it.
k3vb0t

Post by k3vb0t »

Currently reading: Shop Class as Soulcraft. I’m a few chapters in, but enjoying it. Promoting the positives of working with ones own hands (and potential long-term economics of not being “offshoreable”).
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

walks a lot wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:38 pm Night Passage by Robert Parker.

I enjoyed the Jesse Stone TV movies, which starred Tom Selleck. They ran 10-15 years ago, I believe. When I found out the movies were based on books by Robert Parker, I had to check it out.

Jesse is an LAPD detective, with more than his share of personal problems. He gets fired from the LAPD, and ends up as police chief in a small New England town. The town is beautiful, and on the surface it appears to be an ideal place to live (the town is even named "Paradise"). But underneath, it is overflowing with corruption. With that, and his personal problems, Jesse has a full plate.

To me, the Jesse Stone in the book comes across as much more of a "tough guy" than the Tom Selleck character in the movie. I like the Tom Selleck character much better. This is one of those rare instances where I liked the movie version of a book better than the book itself.

Oh, and I liked the dog in the movie. I don't remember if it was an Irish Setter or a Golden Retriever. Great job as a supporting actor!!!
The Jesse Stone books are fabulous. Have you read the Spenser books by Robert B. Parker? Also world class. Tom Selleck was excellent as Jesse Stone.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"The Cuckoo's Calling" by Robert Galbraith, a pseudonym of J.K. Rowling. Private detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's death in London. Good one.

Dave
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

The Great Gatsby

Now a free audio-book on the Planet Money podcast - the staff reads it.
Get rich or die tryin'
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

Just finished The Willow Fields by William Kittredge (who died in 2020) and now partway into Range: Why Generalists Triumph In A Specialized World by Epstein, which reinforces my world view about the value of critical thinking across disciplines.
callouscrab

Post by callouscrab »

I just finished re-reading book "Persepolis Rising" - book 7 in the "Expanse" series by James S. A. Corey. Really good sci-fi with nods to the rigors and realities set a few centuries in the future.

I just picked up "The Price of Peace" by Zachary D. Carter on the life and work of John Maynard Keynes.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

I just finished "The Psychology of Money: Timeless lessons on wealth, greed, and happiness" by Morgan Housel.

I am most of the way through, "Between the World and Me" by Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Both are excellent. I highly recommend both.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Truth & Beauty, by Ann Patchett. It tells the story of the author's friendship with writer Lucy Grealy.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

:D
protagonist wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:28 pm I just started reading Toni Morrison's "Song of Solomon".

Why?

Because a friend listed a dozen books he recently read, including War and Peace, and said that of those dozen books S. of S. was his fav.

Roll over, Leo Tolstoy!
My favorite of all time! just read it, again, last month and again, blown away!!!!!! Enjoy!
ScoobyDoo!
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:35 pm :D
protagonist wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:28 pm I just started reading Toni Morrison's "Song of Solomon".

Why?

Roll over, Leo Tolstoy!
My favorite of all time! just read it, again, last month and again, blown away!!!!!! Enjoy!
I have not read any of Toni Morrison's books. Would "Song of Solomon" be a better starting point than "Beloved"? If you've read both, which would you recommend reading first?
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Finridge wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:54 pm

Why?

Roll over, Leo Tolstoy!
I have not read any of Toni Morrison's books. Would "Song of Solomon" be a better starting point than "Beloved"? If you've read both, which would you recommend reading first?
This is my first Toni Morrison book....2/3 through it now, and I have to say she is a VERY impressive writer. Song of Solomon is quite a page turner....a bit confusing at the beginning but it all comes together beautifully.
Others here might be better able to guide us regarding where to start with Morrison.
For what it is worth, S of S is ranked higher than Beloved here (not based on one person's subjective ranking but rather a "meta-ranking" based on ranking of reviews on several major sites): https://www.bookscrolling.com/ranking-t ... countdown/

When I finish this book I will start on Cormac McCarthy. I just bought "The Road", based on the claim by the very cool bookstore owner that it is her favorite book. I subsequently was told by my daughter that she liked "Blood Meridian" better.

The pandemic has me doing a lot of catch-up reading by authors that I have somehow passed by.
Blues

Post by Blues »

protagonist wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:53 am

When I finish this book I will start on Cormac McCarthy. I just bought "The Road", based on the claim by the very cool bookstore owner that it is her favorite book. I subsequently was told by my daughter that she liked "Blood Meridian" better.

The pandemic has me doing a lot of catch-up reading by authors that I have somehow passed by.
Cormac McCarthy is one of my favorite writers, but Blood Meridian and The Road are substantially different from many of his other works.

Take some time to read up on some of his early classics, "Suttree" and "The Border Trilogy" come to mind. I've read most all of his work over the years and hope you will enjoy them as well.
GR8FUL-D

Post by GR8FUL-D »

"We Have Been Harmonized: Life in China's Surveillance State"

All about how the internet & technology (voice & facial recognition, GPS / cell phone tracking, hi-res cameras, supercomputer databases, Artificial Intelligence, etc.) are being used by China to create the largest, most effective surveillance state on the planet.

Quite enlightening, and more than a little scary...
bf0123

Post by bf0123 »

I agree on the Cormac McCarthy advice to start with The Border Trilogy or Suttree. He is a mesmerizing writer, haunting sentence after sentence. However some novels, especially The Road, are very dark thematically. The Road is also great with unforgettable writing. But if one can also know McCarthy's humorous and romantic side then I suspect The Road can be appreciated even more.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Finridge wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:54 pm

Why?

Roll over, Leo Tolstoy!

Haven’t read Beloved since I watched the movie back in the 90’s???(oprah winfrey and thandie newton). I seem to get a more disturbing feeling thinking about Beloved due to visuals of the movie. Can’t really remember feeling that disturbed by the book. Maybe i was too young when i read the book. I should give it another read soon.

Personally, I wouldn’t start with beloved. She won the pulitzer for Beloved though!!!! Very, very good, though that one will stay with u! A very difficult subject😢

Jazz is a more difficult read, imo. But Toni’s books are not an easy read...They require thinking and reflection! She was writing in more of colorful analogies with jazz. I found myself rereading paragraphs all the time! But others find this to be their favorite. A very different style of writing, although, telling a story nonetheless very beautifully.

Song of Solomon is more of a straight forward story but you do have to pay attention to the characters, the locations, and the topic at hand or you might get lost! But thats the beauty of Toni...she always brings it full circle in the end. There’s always a hook back to her previous words!!! I LOVE IT!!!

The bluest eyes is a shorter book that i have heard people say is a good one to start with but they are all different and have a special place in my heart.

Song of Solomon is a good one to get you in the mood! Go for it!!!!
ScoobyDoo!
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

As my DW says, I’m reading yet another fishing book...
“The Longest Silence” by Tom McGuane is a collection of essays.
I have two more fishing books in the queue :P
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Vaccine Nation, by Elena Conis.

This 2015 book chronicles the evolution of national vaccine policy and the development of vaccine skepticism, from about 1960 onward.

I found it interesting, the book points out social factors in developing anti-vaccine sentiment that I would not have otherwise thought of. Such as some aspects of environmentalism and feminism, over-hyping the dangers of some diseases, and the media coverage of concerns about vaccines all helping to make vaccination contentious.

The book has almost endless footnotes, for anyone interested in detail. In the Kindle edition the book is about 57% text and 43% footnotes. I didn't read the footnotes.

Amazon link.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Blues wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:15 pm

Cormac McCarthy is one of my favorite writers, but Blood Meridian and The Road are substantially different from many of his other works.

Take some time to read up on some of his early classics, "Suttree" and "The Border Trilogy" come to mind. I've read most all of his work over the years and hope you will enjoy them as well.
Thanks for the recommendations!
I just finished The Road. It was a very fast read. He has quite a way with language.
Is there one in particular you would especially recommend for the next book?
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

bf0123 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:08 pm I agree on the Cormac McCarthy advice to start with The Border Trilogy or Suttree. He is a mesmerizing writer, haunting sentence after sentence. However some novels, especially The Road, are very dark thematically. The Road is also great with unforgettable writing. But if one can also know McCarthy's humorous and romantic side then I suspect The Road can be appreciated even more.
I read The Road in two days, and I agree with your assessment of mesmerizing, unforgettable writing and thematic darkness.
I will follow your advice. Thanks.
Based on your recommendation, that of Blues and bf0123, and the following "metareview ranking" of his works, I think I will try Suttree next.
https://www.bookscrolling.com/ranking-a ... countdown/
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blues

Post by Blues »

protagonist wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:50 pm
Blues wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:15 pm

Thanks for the recommendations!
I just finished The Road. It was a very fast read. He has quite a way with language.
Is there one in particular you would especially recommend for the next book?
So hard to narrow it down.

For wonderful writing, pathos, lyricism: I'd suggest the first book of the "Border Trilogy": "All the Pretty Horses". I'm pretty sure you'll want to read the next two in the series. Powerful stuff.

If you want more modern, dark: "Blood Meridian", "No Country for Old Men", "Outer Dark", "The Orchard Keeper" (the latter two are older works)

Coming of age: "Suttree"

They're all great. You'll read them all eventually, anyway, if you become a fan of his work.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

mike@jb wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:27 pm As my DW says, I’m reading yet another fishing book...
Longest Silence is great. What others do you have on your list? I've read a number of Gierach's books, Ted Leeson's essays (also good), etc.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Some years back I was at the Blade Show in Atlanta or Guild Show in Orlando and met a custom knife maker named Thomas McGuane. I mentioned to him that I was a fan of a writer by that name...

...he informed that that was his father. Like his father, he had talent at his craft.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Blues wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:54 pm Some years back I was at the Blade Show in Atlanta or Guild Show in Orlando and met a custom knife maker named Thomas McGuane. I mentioned to him that I was a fan of a writer by that name...

...he informed that that was his father. Like his father, he had talent at his craft.
If you ever get a chance, listen to McGuane talk about his life (he's done so on a handful of podcasts over the last few years). He's had the kind of life you don't believe is possible outside of movies. Really interesting dude.
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:57 pm
mike@jb wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:27 pm As my DW says, I’m reading yet another fishing book...
Longest Silence is great. What others do you have on your list? I've read a number of Gierach's books, Ted Leeson's essays (also good), etc.
Next up on my list are “Cloudbursts” by Tom McGuane and “Sowbelly” by Monte Burke.
I read “Lords of the Fly” in December, and it was excellent. I like Burke’s writing style and sense of humor.
I have several Gierach books that are fun to re-read.

Not really a fishing writer, but I like Carl Hiassen.
His novels are set in Miami and the Keys, and are familiar places.
He is very funny.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Half of a Yellow Sun, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Fictionalized story of the Nigerian civil war in the 1960’s, told from the perspective of people on the losing side. Gut wrenching at times.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Pioneer Days in the Southwest, from 1850 to 1879, by Emanuel Dubbs.

This book published in 1909 is a collection of first-person accounts of life in West Texas, the Texas Panhandle, and western Kansas. It is amazing to read to how very difficult life was on that frontier at that time. This book would be worthwhile only to someone interested in that time and place.

My mother was born in 1913, and grew up, not far from some of the p!aces described.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

dziuniek wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:27 pm The Great Gatsby

It entered the public domain on January 1.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:22 pm
dziuniek wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:27 pm The Great Gatsby

It entered the public domain on January 1.
Yup, about time I guess!
Get rich or die tryin'
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

“Jane Eyre”, with my wife

(And reading “Ginger Pye” to my oldest two kiddos)
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Geno

Post by Geno »

Operation Vengeance
by Dan Hampton

The astonishing aerial ambush that changed World War 2
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.
LukeOfTheDraw

Post by LukeOfTheDraw »

Inviting Disaster: Lessons from the edge of technology by James Chiles

Humble Pi: when math goes wrong in the real world - Matt Parker

Bad Blood by John Carryrou. About the Theranos company scam.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I just finished Old Bones by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. A decent read set around the Donner Party. I've read a few of the many Preston & Child books over the years, but none recently. I chose this one because a couple of weeks ago the 2nd story in this series (Nora Kelly) came out in the top books on several lists. I decided to start with the first.

I'm starting Jane Harper's The Survivors, her fourth Australian crime story. Each is set in a different part of the country, usually rural. This one is set in a Tasmanian coastal town. I've enjoyed each of her books and her writing.
Jeff Albertson

Michael Lewis, 'The Premonition, A Pandemic Story'

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Looking forward to Michael Lewis' new book, 'The Premonition, A Pandemic Story', due out in May.
Last year, when the coronavirus began spreading throughout the United States, Lewis called some of his government sources for “The Fifth Risk.” What he learned was even more disconcerting than the frightening scenario he was reading about in the news. The experts he spoke to were alarmed not just by the government’s failure to contain the virus, but by the possibility that an even more deadly pathogen was on the horizon.

“All of them saw this event as a dry run for something much worse that is inevitable, and how do we prepare for it?” Lewis said in an interview last week. “They view the pandemic in the way a body views a vaccine. It’s like practice for when the real thing hits.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/book ... demic.html
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"Shadow Prey" by John Sanford, the 2nd in the Lucas Davenport series.

Dave
Fallible

Re: Michael Lewis, 'The Premonition, A Pandemic Story'

Post by Fallible »

Jeff Albertson wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:49 pm Looking forward to Michael Lewis' new book, 'The Premonition, A Pandemic Story', due out in May.
Last year, when the coronavirus began spreading throughout the United States, Lewis called some of his government sources for “The Fifth Risk.” What he learned was even more disconcerting than the frightening scenario he was reading about in the news. The experts he spoke to were alarmed not just by the government’s failure to contain the virus, but by the possibility that an even more deadly pathogen was on the horizon.

“All of them saw this event as a dry run for something much worse that is inevitable, and how do we prepare for it?” Lewis said in an interview last week. “They view the pandemic in the way a body views a vaccine. It’s like practice for when the real thing hits.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/book ... demic.html
I read Lewis's "The Fifth Risk" and hoped for some sort of follow-up that would focus on the pandemic. Thanks for the NYT link.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Continuing a lifetime of passionate explorations and research into behavioral psychology, cognition, philosophy, and culture.

What Do You Say After You Say Hello, by Dr. Eric Berne M.D.
https://smile.amazon.com/What-You-Say-A ... 267&sr=8-1

lst read (in progress) . . . scattered with little jewels of insight into human behavior, cognition, et al, with no frosting, just cake.

Early memorable metaphor by the author:

IE: Contrasting the purity of expression and intention in the soft glowing smile of a Native Fijiian Islander (have seen this personally) and the small tentative, defensive, guarded, personnae of a smile expressed more commonly in Western Countries. Touche!

Thick and not light reading, but. . . . a refreshing real "book" compared to modern "booklets" by pseudo authors where the "book" is targeted to sell more books or author promotion vs substantive content without fluff and frosting.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Deadly Choices by Paul Offit, M.D.

This book was written in 2010, contains a history of vaccination, is a history of anti-vaccine movements, changes in vaccination rates and their effects. Very timely issues. I recommend this book.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:42 pm Deadly Choices by Paul Offit, M.D.

This book was written in 2010, contains a history of vaccination, is a history of anti-vaccine movements, changes in vaccination rates and their effects. Very timely issues. I recommend this book.
I heard Offit interviewed on a podcast. Impressive.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

jebmke wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:58 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:42 pm Deadly Choices by Paul Offit, M.D.

I heard Offit interviewed on a podcast. Impressive.
He has written several other books, two that were recommended to me are The Cutter Incident (2005) and Autisms's False Prophets (2008).

Another author and book that was recommended to me is Mark Largent, Vaccine: The Debate in Modern America (2012).

I haven't read these yet.
Calhoon

Post by Calhoon »

There was some talk about Cormac McCarthy. On McCarthy - my favorite of his, and actually my favorite book period, is No Country for Old Men. I read the thing three times, and now that you guys brought McCarthy up I'll probably wind up reading it again. i never read a book more than once, but I just love the stripped down writing on this one. I think it's absolutely brilliant.

Close on its heels is Blood Meridian. Another great book, but written in a completely different style.
usagi

Post by usagi »

Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger: George Washington's Secret Six.

A light read but, enthralling like all their works.
talacker

Post by talacker »

Currently reading:

The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson
The Essential Scalia by Antonin Scalia

Just finished:

How to Educate a Citizen by E.D. Hirsch
The Adventurer's Son by Roman Dial
Fortitude by Dan Crenshaw
Decision Points by George W. Bush
JayDee37

Post by JayDee37 »

Finished Barkskins by Annie Proulx last night.
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? | ~Mary Oliver
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

JayDee37 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:09 pm Finished Barkskins by Annie Proulx last night.
Her, "Shipping News" was a groundbreaking literary work. Really enjoyed it.
Will look up this one.

Thanks!
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

"Absolute War: Soviet Russia In The Second World War", by Chris Bellamy (Alfred A. Knopf NY 2007).

Bellamy is a war correspondent and has degrees in Modern History and the Russian language, among other credentials. This book takes a very deep dive into the Soviet vs. Nazi conflict of WW2. Bellamy has been to visit Russia a number of times and has been carefully rooting through their available military archives, published documents/reports and newly uncensored memoirs. Some myths are exploded. One of the most tenacious has been that Stalin collapsed into a quivering pile of useless, humiliated jelly for 10 days after 22 June 1941. Not so - his written appointment records tell the opposite story.

The book's maps - military and otherwise - are superb. His concise descriptions of the battles for Leningrad and Stalingrad are worth reading before you dig into Salisbury's "The 900 Days" and Beevor's "Stalingrad". Bellamy seems to have a soft spot (as I do) for Marshal Konstantin Rokossovskiy and his perceptive military analyses and decisions during the war. He quotes a number of excerpts from Rokossovskiy's unexpurgated memoirs, which are wonderfully illuminating concerning his opinions on Zhukov's unnecessary brutality and Stavka's amateurish meddling. The author also spends some time detailing the contributions of Russia's women soldiers, especially the snipers and the "Night Witches". Their courage and sacrifice will have you shaking your head in admiration.
Illegitimi non carborundum.