What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jebmke

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by jebmke »

"The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey" by Candice Millard

Theodore Roosevelt's expedition to the headwaters and then down the River of Doubt (now called the Roosevelt River) in Brasil in 1913-14.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Holy Things and Profane: Anglican Parish Churches in Colonial Virginia by Dell Upton.

As the established church of the Virginia Colony, the Anglican Church permeated every aspect of Virginia society. It had taxing authority and even was responsible for setting property boundaries. This book explores the Church's influence on architecture.

(It pairs well with The Chesapeake House: Architectural Investigation edited by Cary Carson and Carl R. Lounsbury)
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Over the past few weeks:

Michael Pollan "This is your Mind on Plants" - about opium, caffeine, and mescaline. Mehh, he's a lot a more interesting writing about nutrition.

Ben Mezrich "The Antisocial Network" - about Gamestop. Fascinating story, a lot more to it than the media shared; writing is good, not great.

Christopher McDougall "Natural Born Heroes" - IMO a lot more interesting than "Born to Run". My favorite of the three.

I also attempted to read Matt Taibi's "Divide", but couldn't get past the first few chapters. I love him on podcasts, but this book was HEAVILY politically slanted and I think Taibi himself would agree today (was written in 2014).
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:56 am Christopher McDougall "Natural Born Heroes" - IMO a lot more interesting than "Born to Run". My favorite of the three.
Thank you. I’ll have to reserve that one. I really enjoyed Born to Run.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

jebmke wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:44 am "The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey" by Candice Millard

Theodore Roosevelt's expedition to the headwaters and then down the River of Doubt (now called the Roosevelt River) in Brasil in 1913-14.
I got this for Christmas but I won’t be reading it right away as I have others already in queue.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

AN UGLY TRUTH: Inside Facebooks Battle for Domination by Sheera Frankel and Cecilia Kang, July, 2021

Anyone who post comments on social media, including Bogleheads, should read this book.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

FandangoDave5010 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:09 pm AN UGLY TRUTH: Inside Facebooks Battle for Domination by Sheera Frankel and Cecilia Kang, July, 2021

Anyone who post comments on social media, including Bogleheads, should read this book.
Thanks. May look for this. I read McNamee — “Zucked” earlier this year but in internet time it was a bit dated, although worth reading given his closeness to Zuck in the early years and the industry.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

jebmke wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:44 am "The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey" by Candice Millard

I read this five years ago. While I remember it being a decent book the thing that continues to stick with me, was the story of Teddy giving a speech even after he was shot.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

SagaciousTraveler wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:59 am

I read this five years ago. While I remember it being a decent book the thing that continues to stick with me, was the story of Teddy giving a speech even after he was shot.
Yeah; they don’t make politicians like they used to.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Paul McCartney the Lyrics (2021) by McCartney (obviously!) and Paul Muldoon. It is over 850 pages in two volumes with very high production values. There are many photos that help put things in context or otherwise add interest.

This covers, in alphabetical order, 154 songs. I am only up to the letter "C." McCartney discuses each. McCartney says in his introduction that he doesn't have a diary to refer to, but the collection of song lyrics serves about the same purpose, bringing back his memories of where the lyrics came from and what was going on in his life at the time (I paraphrase).

It brings back memories to me as well, of the times in which those songs were popular. It is, of course, very personal to McCartney's life. I look forward to leisurely going through this. It is also fun to look up a favorite and to read a few pages about it, right from McCartney's memory.

Highly recommended, not only to those who grew up with the Beatles, but to younger folks who should also find it interesting. It is a perfect companion to the three-part video documentary The Beatles: Get Back recently released.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The Night Watchman, by Louise Erdrich.

Novel loosely based on the author’s grandfather, who fought a Native American dispossession bill that was in congress in the 1950’s. It’s an interesting story about some lives that are completely different than mine.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:51 am

My guess is that Teddy would not have complained about his account statements.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:51 am

The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard is an excellent adventure/exploration story, I would recommend it this book to anyone, even if not particularly interested in Teddy Roosevelt.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

The Four Pillars of Investing.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

With holiday season upon us I have been reading quite often.

"Based on a True Story" Norm McDonald. Was I the only person who was unaware of McDonald prior to his passing? Since then, I have watched him on YouTube nearly every night. Brilliant comedian. The book, not as good as his stand up, but the last chapter hit home.

"Peter Pan Must Die" by John Verdon. Fourth in the Dave Gurney series. This one stretches out a bit, but this series is excellent.

"Last Girl Ghosted" by Lisa Unger. Second book I have read of the author. She is very good. Like Verdon's ending this one stretched out a bit...both were a little hard to imagine happening, but entertaining.

Currently on "Find You First" by Linwood Barclay. About 1/4 in so far. Entertaining.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

In Pursuit of the Perfect Portfolio, by Andrew W. Lo and Stephen R. Forester.

The stories, voices, and key insights of the pioneers who shaped the way we invest. (John Bogle is included).
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

Michio Kaku's "The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind"

It is stunning how little we understand about topics such as consciousness; it is equally stunning the strides scientists are making to better understand the mind
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Squeeze Me, by Carl Hiaasen.

At a fund raiser in Palm Beach Florida an elderly socialite drinks too much, wanders off and is eaten by a huge Burmese Python. Then unusual hilarious events unfold, in typical Hiaasen fashion.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History, by Erik Larson.

About the 1900 Galveston hurricane. I couldn’t sleep last night after reading the chapter where the storm happens. It reads like a horror novel.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

"The Ugly Truth -- Inside Facebook's Battle for Domination" by Sheera Frankel.

Just getting started. So far, nothing that wasn't covered in McNamee's book.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Paradise Gig, by Laurence Shames.

On Key West, Bert the shirt (retired gangster) and Nacho (his little dog) save a young man wanting a break in the music business from a murderous plot of a record producer.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

"Reporter, A Memior" by Seymour M. Hersh. Heard a repeat interview last week on Michael Schmerconish and picked it up.

Fascinating recollection of a reporter's life. Right now on Lt. William Calley -10th chapter.

Ed
black jack

Post by black jack »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:47 pm Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History, by Erik Larson.

About the 1900 Galveston hurricane. I couldn’t sleep last night after reading the chapter where the storm happens. It reads like a horror novel.
Do you know the song about that incident? "Wasn't that a mighty storm?" aka "Galveston Flood." Tom Rush has a great version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTnAxLOwGHQ
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Read it a few years ago, found it quite interesting and very readable.

It's hard to imagine what expeditions were like before the whole world got mapped by aerial photography (let alone satellites).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Hold Autumn In Your Hands by George Sessions Perry

This short novel is about Texas tenant farming during the Great Depression and it won the National Book Award in 1942.

Do recommend

Both sets of our Parents were raised in the Depression on Farms in East Texas. On ms gamboolgals side, they were Sharecroppers and were very poor. On my side, they were poor also and lived off the farm in East Texas until they died.
I remember my Grandfather plowing the fields with Mules.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Thérèse Raquin, Zola

Post by nisiprius »

Stephen King, dare I say "bless his heart," loves to insert, in his books, what I'll call "product placement" for great literary works. In one I've just read, he mentions Thérèse Raquin, by Emile Zola, and I thought I'd give it a try. I bought a $0.99 Kindle edition by "Digireads" and I can't find a translator's name, but whoever it was, it reads well.

I found it very readable and very enjoyable. I found the twists and turns of plot to be fascinating, I kept turning pages just to find out what was going to happen next.

So I have a serious question. I haven't researched this yet.

Is this book supposed to be funny, in an ironic, bitter, black-humor, Kurt Vonnegut, John Collier, Hiaasen way?

It gets called a work of "realism" or "naturalism," but is it supposed to be taken seriously as believable? I'm willing to accept the psychological details.

But at the end Thérèse and Laurent decide in perfect synchronization to murder each other, carrying out their preparations in parallel. They discover what is going on when they are going in for the kill, accidentally turn around at the wrong instant, and Thérèse sees Laurent with the bottle of prussic acid in his hand, and at the same time Laurent sees Thérèse with the big kitchen knife inadequately concealed in the folds of her skirt.

The mother, in the grip of a progressive ALS-like paralysis which has left her unable to walk or talk, who is trying to tell people that Thérèse and Laurent had murdered Thérèse's previous husband. She musters exactly enough energy to write--for the last time she will ever succeed in moving her hands--the exact four words "Thérèse and Laurent have—" and then her arm falls limp, leaving her guests to guess what Thérèse and Laurent have done. (Nobody guesses "--have murdered Camille!")
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Intimacies, by Katie Kitamura.

A short novel where not much happens. A woman is hired as a translator at the International Criminal Court in The Hague, meets a man, translates for a trial, gets told off by a war criminal and quits her job. The book was much better than my ham handed description of it. I actually liked the first 97% of it quite a lot. I’m not sure the last couple of pages rang true for me, but it was a minor part of the story.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

"The Secret Of Life", by Howard Markel MD PhD (W. W. Norton & Co. 2021)

This book is a tour de force in the history of molecular biology. It recapitulates in a protracted, literally "blow by blow" account how two scientists, James Watson and Francis Crick, unlocked the structure and function of DNA, the chemical agent of heredity. Also included in the story are the important personages Maurice Wilkins, Linus Pauling, and Rosalind Franklin. Wilkins shared in Watson and Crick's Nobel Prize in Medicine. Pauling, a Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry, spurred Watson and Crick on a frenzied journey to discovery because they feared that the indefatigable Californian would beat them to it. As for Franklin, she won no Nobel Prize and was slandered in Watson's book about the discovery, "The Double Helix". More about Dr. Franklin below; History had a way of correcting the injustice done by the scurrilous claims about her skills and behavior.

The best part of the book is not the descriptions of the battles between the three brilliant yet utterly sophomoric male chauvinists and the redoubtable Franklin, but rather how the DNA molecule itself gave all of these very capable scientists fits as they struggled to elucidate its structure. As you follow the story with perfect 20/20 hindsight, you will find yourself muttering, "But there it is....you've got it!.....why can't you see it?" Even after W & C gained access to Franklin's superb X-ray analysis of the key DNA "B" crystal, they battered their heads against a wall of their own making in trying to force their hypothetical molecule into a ridiculous structure that had no chance of proper functioning in the body. It took a sarcastic aside by a physical chemist who just happened to share an office with W & C that evaporated their mental fog and allowed them to envision the true structure. The overwhelming lesson of this tale is that Nature does not give up her dearest secrets to our arrogant monkey minds without a huge, exhausting battle.

Nature was not kind to the crystallography expert Franklin. She died of ovarian cancer at age 37 without ever knowing how important her laboratory contributions were. However, the diligent historians of science kept on relentlessly digging out the facts and today Rosalind Franklin is one of the most well-known, respected woman scientists in history. If you don't believe me, go take a gander of the list of honors she has garnered on her Wikipedia page.

The author Markel, given his credentials, did not spare us from the deep scientific details in his re-telling. At the very least, re-familiarize yourself with double helix structure of DNA and the important chemical building blocks that compose it before you open this book.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Finished "close to Home" by Robert Dugoni - Tracy Crosswhite series. Probably the best of the Dugoni/Crosswhite for me. Pretty good author and series for mystery fans.

Currently reading "Risk, A User's Guide" by General Stanley McChrystal.

Ed
Blues

Post by Blues »

"The Bell Ringers" by Henry Porter.

Intriguing novel with a foreboding bent.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

FreeAtLast wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:54 pm "The Secret Of Life", by Howard Markel MD PhD (W. W. Norton & Co. 2021)
Great review! Thank you.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Just finished The Remains of the Day, the 1989 Booker Prize winner by Kazuo Ishiguro (also winner of a Nobel Prize in Literature). It's an extraordinary piece of writing centered around a head butler whose lone goal in life is "dignity," and where that path of extreme emotional restraint takes him and where it leaves the one who loves him. Just one of the amazing things about this book is its deep sadness often followed by great humor, the kind that grows unexpectedly and naturally out of the situation and the characters. In one paragraph toward the end, I was in tears, and in the next, I burst out laughing. I don't recall any of that reaction when I saw the movie of the same title some years ago, though it seems to stand well on its own apart from the book, mainly because it stars Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.

Next up, is Ishiguro's recent novel, Klara and the Sun, about a robot on artificial intelligence.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Five Decembers by James Kestrel https://www.amazon.com/Five-Decembers-J ... 1789096111

Starts with the investigation of brutal murders on Oahu just before Pearl Harbor by a HPD detective. Then segues into Asia, esp Japan during WWII, then back to Hawaii after the war, hence the Five Decembers title.

I recommend it for fans of Mick Herron, S. A. Cosby and Michael Connelly.
Blues

Post by Blues »

heartwood wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:55 pm Five Decembers by James Kestrel https://www.amazon.com/Five-Decembers-J ... 1789096111

Starts with the investigation of brutal murders on Oahu just before Pearl Harbor by a HPD detective. Then segues into Asia, esp Japan during WWII, then back to Hawaii after the war, hence the Five Decembers title.

I recommend it for fans of Mick Herron, S. A. Cosby and Michael Connelly.
Read and enjoyed "Five Decembers".

By the way, for anyone interested, the author also publishes books under the name Jonathan Moore.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:31 am Intimacies, by Katie Kitamura.

A short novel where not much happens. A woman is hired as a translator at the International Criminal Court in The Hague, meets a man, translates for a trial, gets told off by a war criminal and quits her job. The book was much better than my ham handed description of it. I actually liked the first 97% of it quite a lot. I’m not sure the last couple of pages rang true for me, but it was a minor part of the story.
The Holocaust Museum in DC recently placed for free online original language recordings of the complete Nuremberg trials. Quite remarkable for lawyers and history buffs, and way longer than Judgment at Nuremberg, although at times very dry too as documents are entered in evidence. The WSJ wrote a review of the recordings last year. One does not have to be a member or contributor to the Museum to access.

They also made available for free on their website a transcription of authenticated original language Alfred Rosenberg’s personal diaries, side by side with the handwritten version. To the extent one is interested in certain WW2 theaters, one can search the diaries to see what Rosenberg (who was a foreign emissary as well as part of the propaganda ministry) wrote about it, for example Ukraine or the Baltics. You can also read his personal commentary on his colleagues and rivals, what he thought of the pact with Stalin, etc., all in real time as part of otherwise mundane day to day musings.

I’m interested in this because three relatives served in WW2 on the Allied side in different locations and all of my ancestry is from European countries as far as I know.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Fallible wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:34 pm Just finished The Remains of the Day, the 1989 Booker Prize winner by Kazuo Ishiguro (also winner of a Nobel Prize in Literature). It's an extraordinary piece of writing centered around a head butler whose lone goal in life is "dignity," and where that path of extreme emotional restraint takes him and where it leaves the one who loves him. Just one of the amazing things about this book is its deep sadness often followed by great humor, the kind that grows unexpectedly and naturally out of the situation and the characters. In one paragraph toward the end, I was in tears, and in the next, I burst out laughing. I don't recall any of that reaction when I saw the movie of the same title some years ago, though it seems to stand well on its own apart from the book, mainly because it stars Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.

Next up, is Ishiguro's recent novel, Klara and the Sun, about a robot on artificial intelligence.
Remains of the Day was indeed fantastic. I have Kara and the Sun or reserve at the library.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, 1894, A. Conan Doyle.

This is a 2019 reprint by Sea Wolf Press, part of their 100th anniversary Sherlock Holmes collection. It has the original Sidney Paget illustrations. I looked up Sidney Paget and found: I am only part way into the first of 11 short stories, "Silver Blaze," concerning the abduction of the titular racehorse and at least (so far) one murder. It has been a long time since I read any Sherlock Holmes stories, perhaps since I was teenager. I find the writing surprisingly captivating and look forward to continuing on! A. Conan Doyle's reputation is well earned.

The 100 illustrations reprinted in the book (of which this is one) are much smaller and without any sepia toning.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Blues

Post by Blues »

"Butcher's Crossing" by John Williams, author of "Stoner". By most accounts, one of the great literary "westerns".
Columbia85

Post by Columbia85 »

"My Grandfather's Son: A Memoir" by Clarence Thomas. Really a story about American history, not just the man himself.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Just finished "No One Wins Alone" Mark Messier Memior. It was ok....rated it 2.5/5.

I was not a huge hockey fan during his career (am now), but lots of respect for a 6 SC winner. Played 23 years and probably most impressive...dated Madonna - no details in the book.

Ed
Blues

Post by Blues »

MP173 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:53 pm Just finished "No One Wins Alone" Mark Messier Memior. It was ok....rated it 2.5/5.

I was not a huge hockey fan during his career (am now), but lots of respect for a 6 SC winner. Played 23 years and probably most impressive...dated Madonna - no details in the book.

Ed
I didn't know he had a book, but as a lifelong Rangers fan, I will be eternally grateful for Messier being the force to bring the Cup to Rangers fans during my lifetime. (And I've been a fan since the mid 60's.)
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Just started listening to the book Will on audible
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

Sharpe's Assassin by Bernard Cornwell. I just found it at the library and was super excited. I didn't know Sharpe was still going, but here he is in Paris, after the Battle of Waterloo, searching for French spies!

Published in September, 2021.

I thought Bernard Cornwell had abandoned Sharpe in favor of his other historical novel series, none of which I could ever get interested in. I hope this is not the last of Sharpe!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

The well-researched and written definitive history of the Manhattan project. It won the Pulitzer Prize. In addition it’s number 37 on the list The Modern Library’s 100 Best Nonfiction.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JPM

Post by JPM »

Sherman: Soldier, Realist, American by BH Liddell Hart

Published in 1928 before the author became world-famous, this is a highly literate clear report highlighting Sherman's career and his cleverness as a strategist. [OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed some off-topic comments (political policy) and several replies. As a reminder, see: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
Please don't use a book review as a pretext to discuss topics not permitted in this forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

bertilak wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:39 am The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, 1894, A. Conan Doyle.

This is a 2019 reprint by Sea Wolf Press, part of their 100th anniversary Sherlock Holmes collection. It has the original Sidney Paget illustrations. I looked up Sidney Paget and found: I am only part way into the first of 11 short stories, "Silver Blaze," concerning the abduction of the titular racehorse and at least (so far) one murder. It has been a long time since I read any Sherlock Holmes stories, perhaps since I was teenager. I find the writing surprisingly captivating and look forward to continuing on! A. Conan Doyle's reputation is well earned.

The 100 illustrations reprinted in the book (of which this is one) are much smaller and without any sepia toning.
This story originates the famous phrase "the dog that didn't bark." Hound of the Baskervilles is one the top five books I've ever read.
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Columbia85 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:02 pm "My Grandfather's Son: A Memoir" by Clarence Thomas. Really a story about American history, not just the man himself.
"Old Man Can't is dead. I helped bury him."

Loved the book. Inspirational. It showed how accomplished Justice Thomas really is.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:27 am The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

The well-researched and written definitive history of the Manhattan project.
I highly recommend Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb, by the same author. I was fascinated by the description of how they got data from the interior of the fusion explosion in Ivy Mike--long optical tubes to carry light to instruments, so that the light could beat the explosion to the instruments by long enough for them to capture some data before they were destroyed. And I finally understood the complexity and sophistication of the engineering of the multiple nuclear reactions going on inside the device: this producing that at the right time to take part in the other thing. I mean, I knew it wasn't as simple as detonating a fission device inside a tank of hydrogen, but I don't think I appreciated the sophistication of what they were doing.

It's probably due to ignorance, but my notion is still that the plutonium bomb was as "simple" as producing a nice shiny polished sphere of plutonium and compressing it with a sphere of shaped charges around it. There's probably a lot to the "optics" of those shaped charges. And producing the plutonium isn't simple. But I think it is conceptually just as simple as "compressing a sphere." That sure isn't true of a thermonuclear device.

Lots and lots of material on exactly what the Soviets really were learning from their spying operations on the US.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:22 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:27 am The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

The well-researched and written definitive history of the Manhattan project.
I highly recommend Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb, by the same author. I was fascinated by the description of how they got data from the interior of the fusion explosion in Ivy Mike--long optical tubes to carry light to instruments, so that the light could beat the explosion to the instruments by long enough for them to capture some data before they were destroyed. And I finally understood the complexity and sophistication of the engineering of the multiple nuclear reactions going on inside the device: this producing that at the right time to take part in the other thing. I mean, I knew it wasn't as simple as detonating a fission device inside a tank of hydrogen, but I don't think I appreciated the sophistication of what they were doing.

It's probably due to ignorance, but my notion is still that the plutonium bomb was as "simple" as producing a nice shiny polished sphere of plutonium and compressing it with a sphere of shaped charges around it. There's probably a lot to the "optics" of those shaped charges. And producing the plutonium isn't simple. But I think it is conceptually just as simple as "compressing a sphere." That sure isn't true of a thermonuclear device.

Lots and lots of material on exactly what the Soviets really were learning from their spying operations on the US.
Thanks, that one is next on my list!