What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Taylor Larimore

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Just started "Boys in the Boat."

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “It is the power of words and books - explaining and dramatizing great ideas and articulating high ideals - that is the greatest weapon in the missionary's arsenal.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

Master of Seapower: A biography of Ernest J. King

I've read quite a few biographys on WW2 Generals and Admirals. He didn't suffer fools to a fault. He quickly consolidated his power when FDR gave him his post. Marshall was the Army's man of the hour. Marshall was quiet and stoic. King wasn't.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Katredbeard wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:58 pm Eager by Ben Goldfarb

The surprising and secret lives of beavers and why they matter.

It is a fascinating look at the positive impact beavers would have on environments if allowed to recolonize areas they historically inhabited . Including many of the issues we are seeing in the US right now such drought, loss of wetlands, species declines, etc. They are a true keystone species and probably the species with the greatest impact on their environment after humans.
This looks interesting. Disappointed our library doesn't have it but will probably buy it myself. Beavers are making a comeback in my area. In a few spots they are over-populating and destroying too much riparian edge forest but there are programs to trap them and move them. I've not heard of any being converted to hats.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

A Better Man, by Louise Penny.

Back in Three Pines, Quebec there is an abused wife who is murdered and found in the river during an epic flood.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:44 am A Better Man, by Louise Penny.

Back in Three Pines, Quebec there is an abused wife who is murdered and found in the river during an epic flood.
Damn; I've been thinking about visiting that part of Quebec but it just doesn't seem safe.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller - about 1/3 complete, very unusual mix of humor and cynicism and the chapters seem to go backwards/forwards in time, enjoyable to read so far.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:15 am Bogleheads:

I loved this book!
Last edited by MoonOrb on Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America 1815-1848. It's part of the Oxford history of the US. It's long been a goal to read volumes from this series and for some reason I'm starting with this one, I can't really explain why. I decided I didn't want to tackle them all in order. One motivation for me I think is that I have done almost no reading about this period of American history since high school so I'm hoping this provides depth and context to my understanding of American history that I lack now.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Elsebet wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:09 pm ... the chapters seem to go backwards/forwards in time.
See the "Style" section of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22#Style
Although its nonchronological structure may at first seem random, Catch-22 is highly structured ...
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
tower

Post by tower »

"Truman" by David McCullough. 1000 pages but well worth it. Fascinating stories. Captivating history.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:15 am Bogleheads:

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “It is the power of words and books - explaining and dramatizing great ideas and articulating high ideals - that is the greatest weapon in the missionary's arsenal.”
Great book. I also enjoyed the PBS American Experience film, The Boys of '36, which was based on the book; very well done.

Trailer: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperi ... 36/#part01

I streamed it from PBS about 2 years ago, but that doesn't seem to be possible currently; however, it is available on iTunes and Amazon.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Anthem by Ayn Rand, more of a short story. Different...but I understand it as I have already read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Lost Children Archive, by Valeria Luiselli.

Novel about a blended family on the edge of a breakup, the migrant children crisis, and Geronimo and the history of the Apache tribe. Luiselli is a respected author who’s done a lot of good work, it was well reviewed by the critics, and don’t get me wrong, it was an interesting read, but was packed with so many random literary devices that it felt like someone’s MFA project.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

tower wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:34 pm "Truman" by David McCullough. 1000 pages but well worth it. Fascinating stories. Captivating history.
I have this one sitting on my shelf, ready to start. The size alone, is daunting. Maybe because it’s the large print edition. It’s about the size of the OED.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

It reads surprisingly quickly IMO. McCulloch really brings Truman to life.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Elsebet wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:09 pm Catch-22 by Joseph Heller - about 1/3 complete, very unusual mix of humor and cynicism and the chapters seem to go backwards/forwards in time, enjoyable to read so far.
One of all time favorites. The sad thing is that so much of what was then satire is now just reality. Very minor spoiler:

When the book was written "retrospective falsification" was a joke, now it's a strategy.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

"The Psychology of Money" by Morgan Housel, an author many will recognize from the Wall Street Journal, Motley Fool and other outlets.

Explores behavioral finance in a light and easily digestible manner, with brief chapters with excellent anecdotes, stories and some research to highlight points.

Not sure how a book gets onto the Bogleheads approved reading list, but I really believe this one's a great candidate as it fits nicely into Boglehead's philosophy.

Going to get a copy for each of my kids.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
moshe

Post by moshe »

"The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara.

Following a recent visit to the historic battle site/national park. In one of the talks by a park ranger he mentioned this book as it was the basis for the movie Gettysburg,

A "novel" but based on the historical account. the included maps diagrams really helped bring it to life as well. Recommended+.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Re-reading Magic by the Lake, by Edward Eager, as a candidate for reading, for a foreign-speaking student I'm tutoring in English. I liked it then, and I like it now... but I had not realized, when I read it as a kid, just how densely-packed his literary allusions can be!

Admittedly this is a special case, but:
Every bit of the lake’s surface seemed to be suddenly alive, and each bit of it was alive in a different way. It was like trying to keep track of a dozen three-ring circuses, only more so.

Water babies gamboled in the shallows. A sea serpent rose from the depths. Some rather insipid-looking fairies flew over. A witch hobbled on a far bank. A rat and a mole and a toad paddled along near the willowy shore, simply messing about in a boat. A family of dolls explored a floating island. On the other side of the same island, a solitary man stared at a footprint in the sand. A hand appeared in the middle of the lake holding a sword. Britannia ruled the waves. Davy Jones came out of his locker. Neptune himself appeared, with naiads and Nereids too numerous to mention....

They all looked at the lake again. Some Jumblies had appeared, going to sea in a sieve. A walrus and a carpenter danced with some oysters on a nearby shore. In the distance Columbus was discovering America.
Admittedly that's a special case. Anyone recognize "A family of dolls explored a floating island?" I don't. Maybe it's something from E. Nesbit?

[Added] Google is good. It's a book entitled Floating Island, by Anne Parrish, both unknown to me.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:52 am Re-reading Magic by the Lake, by Edward Eager, as a candidate for reading, for a foreign-speaking student I'm tutoring in English. I liked it then, and I like it now... but I had not realized, when I read it as a kid, just how densely-packed his literary allusions can be!

Admittedly this is a special case, but:
Every bit of the lake’s surface seemed to be suddenly alive, and each bit of it was alive in a different way. It was like trying to keep track of a dozen three-ring circuses, only more so.

Water babies gamboled in the shallows. A sea serpent rose from the depths. Some rather insipid-looking fairies flew over. A witch hobbled on a far bank. A rat and a mole and a toad paddled along near the willowy shore, simply messing about in a boat. A family of dolls explored a floating island. On the other side of the same island, a solitary man stared at a footprint in the sand. A hand appeared in the middle of the lake holding a sword. Britannia ruled the waves. Davy Jones came out of his locker. Neptune himself appeared, with naiads and Nereids too numerous to mention....

They all looked at the lake again. Some Jumblies had appeared, going to sea in a sieve. A walrus and a carpenter danced with some oysters on a nearby shore. In the distance Columbus was discovering America.
Admittedly that's a special case. Anyone recognize "A family of dolls explored a floating island?" I don't. Maybe it's something from E. Nesbit?

[Added] Google is good. It's a book entitled Floating Island, by Anne Parrish, both unknown to me.
I like it!

Puts me in mind of another list of densely-packed illusions, from Kipling's Kim. An old man, a retired soldier, is walking along India's Grand Trunk road and remarks to his companions (Kim and the lama):
All casts and kinds of men move here. Look! Brahmins and chumars, bankers and tinkers, barbers and bunnias, pilgrims and potters – all the world going and coming. It is to me as a river from which I have withdrawn like a log after a flood.
[A chumar is a leatherworker, a bunnia a shopkeeper]
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

MoonOrb wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:29 pm What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America 1815-1848. It's part of the Oxford history of the US. It's long been a goal to read volumes from this series and for some reason I'm starting with this one, I can't really explain why. I decided I didn't want to tackle them all in order. One motivation for me I think is that I have done almost no reading about this period of American history since high school so I'm hoping this provides depth and context to my understanding of American history that I lack now.
The James Macpherson (Battle Cry of Freedom) and and the David Kennedy ones (Freedom from Fear and the one about WW2) are magnificent. I also like the Harry Patterson ones (?) (Restless Giant and the other one - takes the story up to 2000). On the latter, you live through those events but you are so busy having *your* life that you don't really see what is going on - I had the newspaper and nightly news version of many of those events (or my parents' telling of them) but my high school education in history stopped with 1945.

C Vann Woodward also wrote a book covering your period - The Age of Jackson. And the editor of the series at the time rejected it (due to its focus on Jackson) but it was published separately, as I recall, (and won some prize). So interesting to read the 2 in counterpoint.

I am getting more attached to the personality theory of history as I grow older (it's that concluding chapter in Macpherson, about the power of contingency - the northern victory was not "inevitable", any more than the victory of the young United States over Great Britain was inevitable). And so I might lean more towards the Age of Jackson.

It seems to me that George Washington (& Jefferson & Hamilton) and Jackson and Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson and FDR and Johnson and Nixon and Reagan each had a really profound impact on their eras, to the point of defining them. Anyways it would be far too political for here to resolve that, but I am interested that as I grow older, I grow more persuaded by a (discredited, largely) view of history.

Maybe because I cannot imagine the modern world without considering FDR - Hitler - Stalin - Churchill (Churchill and De Gaulle maybe the less so) and Chairman Mao (who may turn out to have been the most important of all of them). And I am reading about Chiang Kai-Shek and his long war with Japan (and for China) and he has been dismissed in historiography (both Chinese and American) and yet that has been reevaluated - he was an important figure in the modernization of China and its rebirth from the humiliations of the colonial period.
tower

Post by tower »

In the Hands of Providence: Joshua L. Chamberlain and the American Civil War
Part of: Civil War America (151 Books) | by Alice Rains Trulock | Sep 17, 2001

The above is a link to the biography of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlin by Alice Trulock. He is the hero of the Killer Angels. I love this bio. Two marvelous stories from it. At one point during the civil war, JLC rode by mistake into a confederate camp. His blue uniform was so faded, that the confederates took his jacket for gray and him for one of them. JLC taught languages at Bowdoin (he taught everything at Bowdoin College at some point except math). So he was good at imitating accents. In his best southern drawl he shouted out "Follow me boys." The group followed him on horseback into the union camp and were captured.

Another story: he was riding in a horse drawn slay with a bunch of his classmates and a keg of hard cider at Bowdoin to get a Christmas tree. the kids (but not jlc) got drunk. insulted the towns people. bowdoin's president called him into his office and asked him to rat on his classmates. he refused. the pres said how will your father feel when I expel you. jlc said he will be proud of me for not being a rat. rather than seeing him expelled, the culprits fessed up.

Hard not to be in love with the real JLC. There is a fairly recent statue of him as one crosses the bridge from Brewer, Maine into Bangor. The JLC house at Bowdon is also interesting, and our tour guide showed great affection for him.

moshe wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:39 am "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara.

Following a recent visit to the historic battle site/national park. In one of the talks by a park ranger he mentioned this book as it was the basis for the movie Gettysburg,

A "novel" but based on the historical account. the included maps diagrams really helped bring it to life as well. Recommended+.

~Moshe
WarAdmiral

Post by WarAdmiral »

Just finished reading "The Happiest Man on Earth" written by 100 year old, Auschwitz survivor Eddie Jaku.

It's a very fast read and very engrossing. Much to learn from him about hope and resiliency.

https://www.amazon.com/Happiest-Man-Ear ... 963&sr=8-1
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I finished Daniel Silva's new book, The Cellist.

I've read all of his novels. I've found the more recent ones quite repetitive, e.g., generally a similar story but in another country. Frequently a woman recruited by Allon, played against whomever the antagonist is in this book. Always the same long list of characters that he's introduced over the years. I don't think any have died, ever.

This one is again a Russian themed plot, but set in England, Switzerland and France, and in the last section in the US. He's got good characters, but has overwritten the background. How many times must he tell us what color Gabriel's eyes are and similar repetitions. There are many, many pages that do nothing to advance the story. The majority of the book is readable and entertaining, although I did skim. The last section comes close to being a screed, akin to me to being a tedious rather long speech.

He also confused me (maybe only me) be using a different name for Putin, or I just don't understand the Russian forms of address.

I'll probably read the next one but don't heartily recommend this one, perhaps 3* out of 5.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

heartwood wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:54 am I finished Daniel Silva's new book, The Cellist.

I've read all of his novels. I've found the more recent ones quite repetitive, e.g., generally a similar story but in another country.
I stopped reading his a couple of books ago. A lot of the same formula and also has excessive background passages for readers who haven't read prior books and don't know the characters. Some writers (editors?) are better at staying fresh than Silva is.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Just finished reading for first time The Plague by Albert Camus. The famous novel by the Nobel Prize winning French author about a North African modern city struck by an epidemic in which half the population dies. The author immersed himself in reading histories of the plague before writing the novel. I started to read on airplane flight, it was a little eerie seeing the similarities in the reactions of people to contagious epidemic between a novel published in 1947 to current pandemic, while wearing mask. In the novel the selfless medical doctor, Dr. Rieux, who is ultimate narrator, and supposedly a reflection of the author, says “It may be ridiculous, but the only way to fight the plague is with decency”. I like that thought. Highly recommend, especially if read on airplane flight while wearing required mask. Good luck.
dokeeffe

Post by dokeeffe »

Just finished reading "American Republics : a continental history of the United States, 1783-1850" by Alan Taylor

A history that focused mostly on the expansion of the US and how the various political factions and regional rivalries influenced how that expansion played out.

Very readable
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

"2034: A Novel of the Next World War" by Elliott Ackerman and James Stavridis

Stavridis is a former NATO Supreme Allied Commander
vv19

Post by vv19 »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:25 am "2034: A Novel of the Next World War" by Elliott Ackerman and James Stavridis

Stavridis is a former NATO Supreme Allied Commander
Just read about this book. Sounds fascinating!
KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 »

Halfway through "Mike Nichols: A Life" by Mark Harris. An exhaustive and very entertaining biography of film director Mike Nichols. I absolutely love it!

From its Amazon listing: "A magnificent biography of one of the most protean creative forces in American entertainment history, a life of dazzling highs and vertiginous plunges--some of the worst largely unknown until now... Mark Harris explores, with brilliantly vivid detail and insight, the life, work, struggle, and passion of an artist and man in constant motion. Among the 250 people Harris interviewed: Elaine May, Meryl Streep, Stephen Sondheim, Robert Redford, Glenn Close, Tom Hanks, Candice Bergen, Emma Thompson, Annette Bening, Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts, Lorne Michaels, and Gloria Steinem."

I also recommend Mark Harris's other books "Pictures At a Revolution" and "Five Came Back."
old medic

Post by old medic »

Being a new guy....
Bogleheads' Guide to investing...Up to Chapter 5
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

old medic wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:43 pm Being a new guy....
Bogleheads' Guide to investing...Up to Chapter 5
Good choice :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Recent reads:

"To Raise a Boy" by Emma Brown - Washington Post journalist who after birthing a son (already had a daughter), started looking into the challenges of raising boys. Pretty good book. I had a recent presentation in front of a group on "Raising Boys" and used a couple of her notations (with proper credit to her). Suddenly, lots of interest in the issues with boys and young men these days...

"The Anatomy of Desire" by L.R. Dorn...interesting novel. Set as a documentary, as if a transcript...it hooked me. Two lovers rent a canoe on a secluded lake, one is found drowned with injuries to the head...the other disappears with another lover until found. This is not a straight line "who dunit" but instead set as a documentary (8 episodes) and interviews key people thru the book including the victims' parents, the prosecutor, defense attorney, accused, surviving lover, friends, etc....This is a really interesting book. Based loosely on the classic "An American Tragedy."

"Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Language and Termibnology Guide for United States" published by my employer. A large guide to handle Microaggessions, Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation, Women, Race/Ethnicity/Religion (except Christianity), People with Disabilities & Neurodiversity, Glossary. Quite a guide for those who are not quite yet "woke".

Currently reading "Six Years" by Harlan Coban...needed to lighten up a bit.
Fbone

Post by Fbone »

Spy School by Stuart Gibbs. Intelligently written for YA/MG.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Just finished Magic, or Not? by Edward Eager, which I hadn't read before. As with many "series" novels, the later novels aren't as good but if you like the author you just want more and are willing to forgive imperfections. The (rather tedious) premise of this book is that the children can never figure out if the wishing well is actually granting wishes or not, because all of the "magic" that happens could just be coincidence. Along the way the children do the good deed of making friends with not just one but two eccentric, disliked, and socially awkward children.

Re-reading The Looking-Glass War, by John LeCarre. This is very strange because I really like this book; and because John LeCarre is so esteemed I keep trying his others... and not liking any of the others.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
SGM

Post by SGM »

I read several books by Anne Perry with the detective Thomas Pitt and his wife Charlotte. Bethlehem Road and Highgate Rise. The couple work together to solve crimes. The books take place in Victorian England.

The books have kept my interest and there seems to be some emphasis on redemption, feminism and social inequity. I will be picking up some more of her mystery novels in the future.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"Sycamore Row" by John Grisham, 2nd in the Jake Brigance series. Very enjoyable and highly entertaining.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

Californiastate wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:20 am Master of Seapower: A biography of Ernest J. King

I've read quite a few biographys on WW2 Generals and Admirals. He didn't suffer fools to a fault. He quickly consolidated his power when FDR gave him his post. Marshall was the Army's man of the hour. Marshall was quiet and stoic. King wasn't.
This sounds very interesting. A couple of years ago, I read “The Admirals” by Walter Borneman which was a “portrait” of Halsey, Nimitz, Leahy, and King. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this biography once you have finished.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

MoonOrb wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:40 pm It reads surprisingly quickly IMO. McCulloch really brings Truman to life.
Agreed. I’ve read Truman at least twice and it is a great book. I’ll probably read it again in the next couple of years.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

Horologium wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:07 pm
Californiastate wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:20 am Master of Seapower: A biography of Ernest J. King

This sounds very interesting. A couple of years ago, I read “The Admirals” by Walter Borneman which was a “portrait” of Halsey, Nimitz, Leahy, and King. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this biography once you have finished.
I haven't read that one yet. I've read work on Nimitz and Halsey but not Leahy.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Gaudy Night, by Dorothy L. Sayers.

I like detective fiction. But this novel has too much conversation and introspection for my taste :( .
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

jebmke wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:48 am
ruralavalon wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:44 am A Better Man, by Louise Penny.

Damn; I've been thinking about visiting that part of Quebec but it just doesn't seem safe.

“All the Devils are Here” by Louise Penny. Three Pines may be dangerous but so is Paris. The Gamaches go there to visit Armand’s beloved godfather and in anticipation of their daughter giving birth. (She and Jean-Guy have moved to Paris as Jean-Guy no longer works as Armand’s #2 at the Surete.) People start getting killed and Armand sniffs out a connection to the corporation where Jean-Guy is now employed. A huge conspiracy is uncovered and, of course, everyone and his dog is somehow involved, whether directly or tangentially; whether conspirator, victim or investigator. Good stuff in the Penny tradition.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Metzger's Dog, by Thomas Perry.
DRReaders

Post by DRReaders »

Current reading through the Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. Really enjoy reading about Napoleon-era warfare, even if it is fiction.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Just starting “The Dry” by Jane Harper
solaris17

Post by solaris17 »

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann.
Highly recommend.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

“Empire of Pain”, a history of the Sacklers of OxyContin fame. Very interesting - I did not know that they had a vast fortune pre-Oxy that was in large part derived from Valium and Librium marketing. Well written.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The Rose Code, by Kate Quinn. Historical fiction about WWII and some women working at Bletchley Park. Quite entertaining.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

The Spider Network:
The Wild Story of a Math Genius, a Gang of Backstabbing Bankers, and One of the Greatest Scams in Financial History

A bit frightening. Disturbing at the very least.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Just finished “Forget The Alamo, The Rise and Fall of An
American Myth” by three authors, Bryan Burrough, Chris Tomlinson and Jason Stanford. A semi revisionist history of the Alamo. The main premise of the book is that the primary cause of the conflict between the Mexican government and the American settlers led by Stephen F. Austin was the adamant opposition by the newly independent Mexican Republic to slavery, and the equally adamant demands by the American settlers to preserve slavery in Texas, where the economy was based on cotton production which required slave labor. The book shed an unflattering light on the military leaders of the Alamo, Jim Bowie was reputedly a notorious land swindler and slave smuggler who would have been imprisoned for fraud had he not fled to Texas, while William Barret Travis was a hot headed young lawyer with little military experience who had left his pregnant wife and child in Alabama to avoid arrest for debt. Their decision to continue to defend the Alamo with about 200 men in the face of imminent arrival of many thousands of Mexican troops with numerous cannons was militarily foolish and in direct conflict with the advice of the only American in Texas with credible military experience, Sam Houston, who said that San Antonio was militarily indefensible. And the book even dissed one of my childhood heroes, Davy Crockett, as a second rate failed politician looking for a second act. This is not heavyweight historical research, it is what is colloquially known as popular history, but I found it to be credible, fast paced and fascinating, at least through the Battle of San Jacinto where the Texas troops led by Sam Houston defeated the Mexican army using the rallying cry “Remember The Alamo”. The last half of the book dealing with the development of the almost semi-religious Alamo myth, including the buildings and grounds and memorabilia, I found boring and quickly skimmed. I recommend this book to history fans who do not mind myths being dispelled, even when one of them involves my childhood hero, The King Of The Wild Frontier. Good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.