What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barkingsparrow

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Sea People - Puzzle of Polynesia - Christina Thompson

Informative and (to me) engrossing historical survey of the various theories as to the origins and timelines of the migration into the "Polynesian Triangle" - the area between New Zealand, Hawaii, and Easter Island. Every time I flew to New Zealand from LAX, I always was fascinated at the immense emptiness of the Pacific and the mystical allure of the islands as we passed over them, so this book struck a chord in me. Though there is still one outstanding question - when/how did the sweet potato get to Polynesia as it's a South American plant ?

Dry Bones - Craig Johnson

I received a 12-book Longmire collection as a gift a year ago. I enjoyed the first few books and read them quickly but gradually I became increasingly annoyed with the repetitive nature of the plot and resolutions, but I've got some masochist intent on finishing the series (one more book to go). It seems that every single book ends with Longmire in some deadly blizzard or major thunderstorm/floods while facing better-armed enemies and being rescued by some deus ex machina. Not to mention being wounded every single time, usually being lucky that the bullet wound was just an inch higher or lower.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Wilderness Librarian wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:32 pm
MrBobcat wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:46 pm Indian Creek Chronicles:A Winter Alone in the Wilderness by Pete Fromm.

I read this book when it first came out around 2003, rereading it now on Kindle.

Really good (and humorous) book about the authors 7 months spent in the Selway-Bitterroot wilderness watching a channel with salmon eggs. He was a naive 19 yo with romantic notions about being a "mountain man".

https://smile.amazon.com/Indian-Creek-C ... 270&sr=8-1
Indian Creek is on my want to re-read list too. Might want to check out Fire Season: field notes from a wilderness lookout / by Philip Connors. Also for something different on SB area The Lochsa Story by Bud Moore. Can't remember much about this one but Moore was logger and or forest service figure well respected by both the industry & conservation groups.
Fire Season looks good, just bought it and will read it next.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Hammer Guns: Theory and Practice. I'm pretty excited about this one.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Long Way Home, by Louise Penny.

The denizens of Three Pines Quebec search for a missing artist in Montreal, Quebec City, Baie Saint Paul, and La Tabatière Quebec. The mystery is probably better appreciated by an artist than by the rest of us.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

A Description of New Netherland, by Adriaen Van Der Donck.

This is a mostly first-hand account of the Dutch colony in present New York state and adjacent states in the 1600s. The book describes the Dutch settlers, the geography, domestic animals, native animals, crops, fisheries, farming, trade, politics, and Native Americans. I thought it was interesting.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:39 pm Sea People - Puzzle of Polynesia - Christina Thompson

Informative and (to me) engrossing historical survey of the various theories as to the origins and timelines of the migration into the "Polynesian Triangle" - the area between New Zealand, Hawaii, and Easter Island. Every time I flew to New Zealand from LAX, I always was fascinated at the immense emptiness of the Pacific and the mystical allure of the islands as we passed over them, so this book struck a chord in me. Though there is still one outstanding question - when/how did the sweet potato get to Polynesia as it's a South American plant ?
New DNA studies are showing that there was mixing/contact between the Polynesians and the South Americans ...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/hist ... americans/
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:05 pm A Description of New Netherland, by Adriaen Van Der Donck.

This is a mostly first-hand account of the Dutch colony in present New York state and adjacent states in the 1600s. The book describes the Dutch settlers, the geography, domestic animals, native animals, crops, fisheries, farming, trade, politics, and Native Americans. I thought it was interesting.
And still has an impact on the culture, I think. Especially up the Hudson River valley? A certain directness and pragmatism. You could call New Yorkers' bluntness as being very similar to Dutch South African (ie Afrikaaners - also a colony from the 1600s which was then cut off) directness. (Americans think they are straight speaking, but they have nothing on some cultures in East Asia or Australasia or South Africa).

One small linguistic example, "the front stoop" is a Dutch word?

There is the New York construct "Who knew?" to express surprise. I had always taken that as from Yiddish, given NYC had c 1m Yiddish speakers in 1910, but it could be from Dutch?
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

heartwood wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:54 am Bad Debts by Peter Temple, the first of his Jack Irish series. Set in Melbourne. He's got several professions: ex Aussie soldier in Vietnam, no longer practicing lawyer, aspiring cabinet maker, reformed sot, horse bettor, and others. Basically it's a crime novel. He writes well, if in a decidedly Australian english usage. His scenes are good.

I'll read another. He died in 2018.
It is that local language which gives any set of detectives/ thrillers their colour, for me. That reminder that different parts of North America say things differently - MIT and the New York Times had a language test, which placed me as coming from Rochester NY (not a bad call at all, given I grew up watching kid's TV shows from Buffalo NY). I was amazed it was that localised.

Thus George V Higgins: The Friends of Eddie Coyle and Rat on Fire. The Boston argot.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

No Time Like the Future: An Optimist Considers Mortality - Michael J Fox

Just finished this as an audiobook and really enjoyed it. MJF has a really great way of putting things into perspective and what he's overcome in the last couple years is pretty incredible.
sandburg

Post by sandburg »

The Conquering Tide by Ian Toll.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

pezblanco wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:56 pm
Barkingsparrow wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:39 pm Sea People - Puzzle of Polynesia - Christina Thompson

New DNA studies are showing that there was mixing/contact between the Polynesians and the South Americans ...

Thanks for that link. I do think it's more likely that Polynesians may have sailed to South America than vice versa. I'm not aware of major
journeys taken from South America during those time.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:27 pm
pezblanco wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:56 pm

Thanks for that link. I do think it's more likely that Polynesians may have sailed to South America than vice versa. I'm not aware of major
Isn't that what Kon-Tiki was all about?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

bertilak wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:33 pm
pezblanco wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:56 pm New DNA studies are showing that there was mixing/contact between the Polynesians and the South Americans ...

Read the book and seen the movie, but his theories (which are mostly based on indigenous stories/legends/myths) on South American origins run counter to overwhelming scientific evidence in various areas (DNA, linguistics) that the Polynesian migration was from South-East Asia, West to East.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:42 pm
pezblanco wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:56 pm New DNA studies are showing that there was mixing/contact between the Polynesians and the South Americans ...

Read the book and seen the movie, but his theories (which are mostly based on indigenous stories/legends/myths) on South American origins run counter to overwhelming scientific evidence in various areas (DNA, linguistics) that the Polynesian migration was from South-East Asia, West to East.
So, Thor Heyerdahl proved it was physically possible but not that it actually happened.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:50 pm
Barkingsparrow wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:42 pm

So, Thor Heyerdahl proved it was physically possible but not that it actually happened.
Exactly. Could have happened and did happen are different things.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

"House on Fire" by Joseph Finder.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I'm half into A Time for Mercy by John Grisham.

More like his earlier works. His recent works have been largely, for me, disappointing and preachy. This one uses his Mississippi lawyer, Jack Brigance, in defense of a young client. Much local color with a story centering on a murder.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

The Gray Man by Mark Greaney.

If you like the Reacher novels then I think you will like these.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

mrsbetsy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:15 am
nisiprius wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:11 pm 1) American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America, by Colin Woodard. Fascinating. It is one of those books where you hear the click! of puzzle pieces fitting into place as you read. A good deal of the factual material is new to me. A good deal is facts I already knew, but had not seen the obvious pattern in.
Fascinated by your recommendation, I looked for it on Amazon. Do you agree with the other reviewers that the first two-thirds of the book are factual and the last third show bias?
Possibly, but it's hard to discuss specifics within forum policy. It may be that one is not as aware of politics when there is the distance of a century or two between you and the events being described. Or, what seems like an historical or anthropological description of the culture of the "nations," when talking about history, begins to sound like regional stereotyping when talking about elections within living memory. I don't think he made a good case for his "nations" still being identifiable and hard-bordered in 2011.

I am really enjoying The Wordy Shipmates, by Sarah Vowell, which certainly takes a highly personal, subjective, and judgmental attitude toward the Puritans who founded the Massachusetts Bay Colony (i.e. the "Arbella," not the "Mayflower").
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.

I have to admit I'm only about 40 pages in and it's starting to feel like Ulysses by James Joyce all over again.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I’m reading two books right now.

The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway: The Finca Figía Edition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Compl ... _Hemingway

The Blitzkrieg Legend: The 1940 Campaign in the West by Karl-Heinz Frieser, translated from the German and edited by John T. Greenwood. https://www.amazon.com/Blitzkrieg-Legen ... 1591142954
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
ball241

Post by ball241 »

Keynes Essays in Persuasion
qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:25 am
mrsbetsy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:15 am
nisiprius wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:11 pm 1) American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America, by Colin Woodard. Fascinating. It is one of those books where you hear the click! of puzzle pieces fitting into place as you read. A good deal of the factual material is new to me. A good deal is facts I already knew, but had not seen the obvious pattern in.
Fascinated by your recommendation, I looked for it on Amazon. Do you agree with the other reviewers that the first two-thirds of the book are factual and the last third show bias?
Possibly, but it's hard to discuss specifics within forum policy. It may be that one is not as aware of politics when there is the distance of a century or two between you and the events being described. Or, what seems like an historical or anthropological description of the culture of the "nations," when talking about history, begins to sound like regional stereotyping when talking about elections within living memory. I don't think he made a good case for his "nations" still being identifiable and hard-bordered in 2011.

I am really enjoying The Wordy Shipmates, by Sarah Vowell, which certainly takes a highly personal, subjective, and judgmental attitude toward the Puritans who founded the Massachusetts Bay Colony (i.e. the "Arbella," not the "Mayflower").
Check out Union by Colin Woodard as well. Made me rethink what I thought about Woodrow Wilson and how Woodard nations thesis impacts current politics. I both feel more pessimistic and less worried about the current epoch being any different.
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Hear No Evil, by J.M. Dalgliesh.

A middle-aged black man, a gangster from from London, is found dead at the bottom of a seaside cliff in Norfolk. Background of the detectives and the deceased complicate the picture.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I just finished The Off-Islander by Peter Colt. Great book set in 1980s Boston and Nantucket. The protagonist is a Boston Southie guy, Vietnam vet, ex-BPD, now private investigator.

I finished it in less than 2 days. It's a very well written detective-mystery. Good dialogue and scenes.

I now see its available as a Kindle Unlimited book. I'm on to the 2nd in the series, just released in Sept 2020, Back Bay Blues. Not available yet on Kindle Unlimited, but is on Hoopla.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Conversations With Friends
Frances is a coolheaded and darkly observant young woman, vaguely pursuing a career in writing while studying in Dublin. Her best friend is the beautiful and endlessly self-possessed Bobbi. At a local poetry performance one night, they meet a well-known photographer, and as the girls are then gradually drawn into her world, Frances is reluctantly impressed by the older woman’s sophisticated home and handsome husband, Nick. But however amusing Frances and Nick’s flirtation seems at first, it begins to give way to a strange—and then painful—intimacy.

Written with gemlike precision and marked by a sly sense of humor, Conversations with Friends is wonderfully alive to the pleasures and dangers of youth, and the messy edges of female friendship.
I just like the writing style and the characters are completely out of my element.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

Elsebet wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:38 pm Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.

I have to admit I'm only about 40 pages in and it's starting to feel like Ulysses by James Joyce all over again.
In a good way? Or in a bad way?
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I just finished "The Forgotten Man", by Amity Schlaes. It took me all summer and fall, since I generally only read books in bed, sometimes re-reading the same paragraph a few times over a few days since I am so tired by then.

Three new things I learned about: Father Divine, the effects of the transition from small private utilities to big publicly-regulated ones, and how innovative the FDR policies were (for better or worse).
Blues

Post by Blues »

"The Splendid and the Vile" by Erik Larson...a look into Churchill's first year as P.M. during WWII.

As with most of Larson's work, an engaging look at history.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

sandburg wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:42 pm The Conquering Tide by Ian Toll.
That trilogy is excellent. I just finished the recently released 3rd volume "Twilight of the Gods" and really enjoyed it.
black cat fortunate

Post by black cat fortunate »

Anyone tried "Shuggie Bain?" I'd be eager for impressions.

I finished first chapter but e-book returned itself to library.
Debating - gasp - paying for book. (It doesn't need my money, National Book Award 2020 winner and new film deal.) General consensus is very well written, with disturbing and sad content.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Invention of Nature: Alexander Humbolt's New
World
, by Andrea Wulf.

Humboldt was a German scientist (before that term was coined) who travelled extensively studying nature in Latin America in 1799-1803, and in Russia in 1824. I was disappointed that only about 20% of the book dealt with his travels, and was tempted to not finish the book.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:52 pm The Invention of Nature: Alexander Humbolt's New
World
, by Andrea Wulf.

Humboldt was a German scientist (before that term was coined) who travelled extensively studying nature in Latin America in 1799-1803, and in Russia in 1824. I was disappointed that only about 20% of the book dealt with his travels, and was tempted to not finish the book.
I succumbed to that temptation ... congratulations on having the fortitude to finish this very long book.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

Finridge wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:58 pm

With Ulysses it's gotta be the bad way, right? :D
Last edited by pezblanco on Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

The Wisdom of Crowds
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:52 pm The Invention of Nature: Alexander Humbolt's New
World
, by Andrea Wulf.

I read this a couple of years ago. I too thought it was ponderous, overly wordy and focused too much on the personal side of his life. Even so it shows he had an amazing mind absorbing all kinds of facts and details, holding them in memory and formulating unique synthesis and generalizations of the natural world.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"The Lost Queen" by SIgne Pike. Takes place during the 6th century in Scotland. This is about the real man Merlin the Magician was based on and his equally important twin sister. Page turner.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Finridge wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:58 pm

Both good and bad. It's the type of book where I have to read carefully (slowly) and look up words/events I don't understand regularly. There are also a few cultural references which I'm certain I'm missing. It's challenging, which is enjoyable, but a different experience to reading something a little less complex. I feel like taking some notes would help me since the book keeps switching back and forth between a few different sets of characters like the hockey players, attache, spies, lady/doctor in a mental hospital, etc.

Middlemarch is another long book but that one is a relaxing easy read in comparison.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Hear No Evil, by J.M. Dalgliesh.

A group of British veterans of the Afgan War are targeted by a murderer years after their service ends and return to civilian life.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer. The author is a Native American from Potowatomi tribe who is a professor of botany and ecology. This book is a series of essays and true life vignettes about the environment with emphasis on how it is viewed by Native Americans. I found some of stories wonderful, others not as much, but recommend for its depiction of the admirable reverence with which Native Americans view the environment and the need to protect and preserve. Then got the Landmark Arrian, The Campaigns of Alexander. I had enjoyed the Landmark histories of Herodotus, Thucydides, and Caesar’s Commentaries. The maps and pictures accompanying the histories are wonderful as are the many appendixes. Recommend to fans of Ancient Greece and those who enjoy military history. And now at beginning of new year decided to undertake my biannual reading of War and Peace, like visiting with old friends whose long Russian names I now know and remember. Will take me at least a month, it is a pleasure to already know the story and read slowly and enjoy Tolstoy’s development of plot and character. Happy New Year everyone.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

A Kiss Before Dying by Ira Levin. Yes, the Rosemary's Baby author, plus other books you'd recognize. It won the 1954 Edgar Award for best first novel. I'm not sure how I decided to read it.
Wings5

Post by Wings5 »

Just finished Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging, by Sebastian Junger. I actually listened to it on Audible, and it’s an interesting discussion about unity and loyalty within groups. He discusses the psychological benefits of being part of a group and feeling a sense of belonging. There are several interesting statistics and discussions about depression. It was interesting to hear it in his voice, with his inflections.
“Spending money to show people how much money you have is the fastest way to have less money.” - Morgan Housel
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
I never read the book and its copyright expired two days ago on Public Domain Day, when all works copyrighted in 1925 entered the public domain. I intend to take full advantage. https://www.npr.org/2021/01/01/95117159 ... way-are-in
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:42 pm The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
I never read the book and its copyright expired two days ago on Public Domain Day, when all works copyrighted in 1925 entered the public domain. I intend to take full advantage. https://www.npr.org/2021/01/01/95117159 ... way-are-in
Cheapskate :) . A true Boglehead.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

I just finished "The Sun Down Motel" by Simone St. James.

It's a ghost story/murder mystery. Ghost stories are not my usual genre, but the book came highly recommended, so I got a copy from the library. It was a pretty entertaining read. There wasn't a lot of mystery in figuring out who the murderer was, but some of the ghost scenes were pretty creepy.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Reading A Promised Land by Barack Obama.

He is an exceptional writer! Just finished part II where... SPOILERS...he won the 2008 presidency 😁.
ScoobyDoo!
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I am 626 pages into Robert Galbraith's "Troubled Blood". 300 pages to go.

Ed
Estudasses

Post by Estudasses »

Finishing up the The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer. Surprisingly readable for a book so jam-packed with information.
Geno

Post by Geno »

Unfreedom of The Press
by Mark Levin
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Terra Incognita - Sara Wheeler

Continuing with my recent obsession with Antarctica travel/exploration. A travel narrative where she spends nearly a year staying at various research stations while also visiting historical sites such as Scott's hut at Cape Evans. The narrative is interspersed with historical accounts of the "Golden Age" of Antarctica exploration.