What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Capsu78

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Capsu78 »

5th_Dimension wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:27 pm
Capsu78 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:42 pm
fishandgolf wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:23 pm "The Ice Road".........starring Liam Neesom.....thumbs down.....Not worth the 1.0 hr. 48 minutes ☹
This movie is an American remake of a Norwegian movie "In Order Of Disappearence" with subtitles in English. The Norwegian version is better, and I say that as a Liam Neesom fan.
The Ice Road is not a remake of In Order Of Disappearance. The remake is called Cold Pursuit, also starring Liam Neeson :happy
I stand corrected! Thanks :sharebeer
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Zola. A good movie about a bad trip. A very bad trip.

Recommended, but it's not for everybody.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

ALERT!!! For those on this thread enjoying the EURO 2020 football tournament... Netflix pulled up a movie from it's vault called "Summer of 92", based on the true story of the Danish national team. You will have to move quick as they are pulling it July 9.
It's worth watching even with subtitles. Part "Hoosiers", part "Miracle on Ice", it's a top notch Cinderella story.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Men in Black on DVD, 1997, rated PG-13, Tommy Lee Jones, Will Smith. An action / adventure / comedy where a police officer joins a secret organization that keeps tabs on aliens living on earth. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

My Best Friends Wedding with Julia Roberts and Cameron Diaz on netflix. A 1997 movie. It leaves Netflix later this month.

I love the ensemble reprise of the Dionne Warwick, I Say a Little Prayer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-J4xYOxJ9w
treypar

Post by treypar »

Quiet Place 2 in the theater. It was good to be back but I liked Quiet Place 1 better.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

20 Feet from Stardom, on Amazon Prime ($3.99). One of my all-time favorite movies. A documentary about the history of Black background singers, how they changed the the music industry, and the relationship between the singers. So terrific that I’ve seen it three times and still fascinated.
Last edited by Cruise on Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

No Sudden Move, a new movie on HBO Max. It is a 1950s-set Steven Soderbergh crime caper with an excellent cast. The complex plot was a little hard to follow in a couple of spots, but it was very entertaining.
cnblure

Post by cnblure »

Not Without My Daughter. Sally Field gets trapped in Iran.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Last two nights (it's very long with an intermission) I watched the semi-documentary "Gandhi" starring Ben Kingsley. Probably the best movie I ever attended.

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "I’ve known many people in the financial business who’ve said, ‘I’m really proud because I did it all myself.’ And when someone has the temerity to say that to me, and a lot of people do, the first thing I say is ‘isn’t that wonderful, you did it all yourself. And I think that’s terrific, I don’t know many people who’ve done that. But how did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?"
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
lurkman

Post by lurkman »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:04 pm Bogleheads:

Last two nights (it's very long with an intermission) I watched the semi-documentary "Gandhi" starring Ben Kingsley. Probably the best movie I ever attended.

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "I’ve known many people in the financial business who’ve said, ‘I’m really proud because I did it all myself.’ And when someone has the temerity to say that to me, and a lot of people do, the first thing I say is ‘isn’t that wonderful, you did it all yourself. And I think that’s terrific, I don’t know many people who’ve done that. But how did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?"

Taylor,

Gandhi is a great movie. I should watch it again. On the subject matter of this movie (rarely if ever discussed in American schools), somebody sent me this clip from an Oxford University debate—you may find it interesting, fresh off your experience watching Gandhi:

https://youtu.be/f7CW7S0zxv4

Best,
Lurkman
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Inn of the Sixth Happiness (1958) — Ingrid Bergman, Robt. Donat, Curt Jürgens

A tenacious British woman becomes a missionary and runs an inn for travelling merchants in China during the Japanese invasion and the tumultuous years leading up to the Second World War. This is the mostly true story of Gladys Aylward.

A great film, in CinemaScope, though of course you can’t see it in that format anymore. Long for its time at 2:38. Bergman turned in a superb performance. It was Donat’s last film. See it.

We borrowed the DVD from our local public library,
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Taylor,

Gandhi is a great movie. I should watch it again. On the subject matter of this movie (rarely if ever discussed in American schools), somebody sent me this clip from an Oxford University debate—you may find it interesting, fresh off your experience watching Gandhi:

https://youtu.be/f7CW7S0zxv4

Best,
Lurkman
Lurkman:

Thank you for the "clip." It is full of Indian history that few of us know.

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “It is the power of words and books - explaining and dramatizing great ideas and articulating high ideals - that is the greatest weapon in the missionary's arsenal.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Went to see A Quiet Place Part II in the theater Nice to be back in the theater, even my normal annoyance at being subjected to 20 minutes of overly loud previews evoked a feeling of nostalgia.

AQP2 was okay. It won't leave a lasting impression.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Ophelia, on Netflix. As it turns out, Master Shaksper was not an entirely reliable chronicler.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Shootist

It has become a tradition to view a John Wayne movie on the
4th of July and the selection this year was his last movie made
in 1976. In this role as an aged gunfighter/lawman who is dying,
he chooses to spend his last days in a town where he hoped to
be anonymous but instead creates quite a stir.
A mix of admirers and enemies give him anything but a peaceful
exit in his last remaining days. Good film and prophetic in a way.
Viewed on Amazon Prime.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Patton. Watched it for free last night on Roku. Great movie. I think that's the fourth time I've watched it.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

wilson08 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:58 pm The Shootist

It has become a tradition to view a John Wayne movie on the
4th of July and the selection this year was his last movie made
in 1976. In this role as an aged gunfighter/lawman who is dying,
he chooses to spend his last days in a town where he hoped to
be anonymous but instead creates quite a stir.
A mix of admirers and enemies give him anything but a peaceful
exit in his last remaining days. Good film and prophetic in a way.
Viewed on Amazon Prime.
I also watched this with relatives on July 4th from a DVD! I had seen it before but never unedited and in one sitting.

A very touching and fitting film for his last. From the DVD documentary featurette: John Wayne had already lost a lung to cancer when they started filming. Many of the fine cast of supporting characters worked for small wages for the chance to work with him (the film did not have a large budget). The set designers were nominated for an academy award for their work in this film.

Nit: Worst fake blood I've ever seen.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:57 am Men in Black on DVD, 1997, rated PG-13, Tommy Lee Jones, Will Smith. An action / adventure / comedy where a police officer joins a secret organization that keeps tabs on aliens living on earth. I liked it.
Men in Black II on DVD, 2002, rated PG, Tommy Lee Jones, Will Smith. Meh.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend A Broken Heart (2020), via HBO.

Truthfully I wasn't deliberately listening too much to them in their heyday, but even so their music was all over the radio, so I heard plenty. I was into heavy rock, still my preference.

I certainly appreciate their success, even more so considering their music style changes that kept them relevant to their fans old and new.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The Beginning or the End?, 1947. This is a docudrama about the making and first use of the "atomic bomb." I won't go into details or explain why on earth I was watching it beyond saying I'd just read a book about--except to say that it was much less bad than I expected.

But what really bothered me was the use of a mirror-image pair of meters on a radiation detector. There's no obvious reason for their being a pair anyway, they are not labeled as measuring different things and they always swing in synchronization--but in opposite directions. What are the measuring? Dramatic intensity, I guess. But I am disturbed by the bizarre detail of the right-hand meter reading in reverse. They form a mirror-image symmetrical pair, both swinging toward the legend "CRITICAL" whenever it is time to worry us.

I wonder how they even did it? Did they even manufacture d'Arsonval meter movements where the meter rests at zero at the right and swings left? If not, what did the moviemakers do? And why, why, WHY?
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

Sound of Metal on Prime. Great movie, excellent acting.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:15 pm But what really bothered me was the use of a mirror-image pair of meters on a radiation detector. There's no obvious reason for their being a pair anyway, they are not labeled as measuring different things and they always swing in synchronization--but in opposite directions.
They are not reading the same value in the picture. Perhaps one measurement is from a backup sensor. I would prefer they read in the same direction, but perhaps the wiring is simpler if they are opposite.

However, my default level for suspension of disbelief in movies is quite low. They never get everything right.
telemark

Post by telemark »

heartwood wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:51 am The Old Guard on Netflix.

Charlize Theron as one of a group of centuries old undying mercenaries. Apparently based upon a graphic novel I am unfamiliar with.

I watched because it was mentioned in several newspapers. I enjoyed it. They seem to set it up for sequels in future.
The writeups mention that Theron and KiKi Layne did much(all?) of the fight scenes themselves. It's a bloody movie. At one point I asked myself how many people they'd killed. I
I think we are seeing the same set of stunt doubles getting killed over and over again. But you do *not* want to be a spear carrier in this movie :wink:
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

tooluser wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:39 pmPerhaps one measurement is from a backup sensor.
"Never go to sea with two chronometers; take one or three." If you carry only two and they don't agree, how do you know which one to trust?
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I'm thinking of ignoring any recommendations for movies or series by the NYT or WSJ. Maybe it's me? Time after time I start to watch and time after time I stop. Always enticed by the reviewers come-ons.

Yesterday's WSJ recommended Gunpowder Milkshake on Netflix as one of three to stream this week. An assassin Sam takes orders from Paul Giamatti who runs a crime syndicate. There's a diner that doesn't allow guns, a library that checks out guns, and more. I lasted about a half hour and saw more than I needed to since my wife watched longer than I did.

Inane is kind comment. Not recommended!
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

heartwood wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:17 am I'm thinking of ignoring any recommendations for movies or series by the NYT or WSJ. Maybe it's me? Time after time I start to watch and time after time I stop. Always enticed by the reviewers come-ons.

Yesterday's WSJ recommended Gunpowder Milkshake on Netflix as one of three to stream this week. An assassin Sam takes orders from Paul Giamatti who runs a crime syndicate. There's a diner that doesn't allow guns, a library that checks out guns, and more. I lasted about a half hour and saw more than I needed to since my wife watched longer than I did.

"Inane" must be right because I don't even understand what that's all about.

A diner that doesn't allow guns? How does that affect the plot? The hitman is willing to kill someone but not willing to disobey a "no guns" sign? I can't understand that.

A library that checks out (lends?) guns? What kind of library is that? The hit man can't supply his own gun?

Is this supposed to be a comedy?

Just checked. IMDB says it is action/adventure/thriller. No mention of comedy. IMDB also says 5.7 stars. Not many movies lower than that. Those responsible must be s proud.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

bertilak wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:58 am
heartwood wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:17 am I'm thinking of ignoring any recommendations for movies or series by the NYT or WSJ. Maybe it's me? Time after time I start to watch and time after time I stop. Always enticed by the reviewers come-ons.

A diner that doesn't allow guns? How does that affect the plot? The hitman is willing to kill someone but not willing to disobey a "no guns" sign? I can't understand that.

A library that checks out (lends?) guns? What kind of library is that? The hit man can't supply his own gun?

Just checked. IMDB says it is action/adventure/thriller. No mention of comedy. IMDB also says 5.7 stars. Not many movies lower than that. Those responsible must be s proud.
And yet it was the #3 movie on Netflix yesterday! Must have been all those wsj readers.

here's a link to the wsj https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-to-wa ... _permalink

It's the 2nd mentioned.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

heartwood wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:48 am
And yet it was the #3 movie on Netflix yesterday! Must have been all those wsj readers.

It's the 2nd mentioned.
That write-up does seem to imply the movie isn't to be taken too seriously.

OK, Even Quentin Tarantino movies have a lot of humor mixed with the action but the 5.7 star rating tells me this movie is probably not in the same league.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Pig, starring Nicholas Cage. This quirky movie is highly entertaining. I'd rate it among the best of the year. The less you know about it beforehand, the more you will enjoy it.

Highly recommended. In theaters now.
Shalom Aleichem

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

heartwood wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:48 am
bertilak wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:58 am

It's the 2nd mentioned.
Actually I wonder if Netflix chooses movies it wants people to see and pushes them. I was thinking of watching it. Then I watched the trailer. I assume the trailer shows the best parts of any movie. It was absolutely horrible. Kind of like what I read about the girls Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters was an amazing one of a kind movie. So why not make an all girls Ghostbusters? Great idea! (Ghostbusters was - to me - one of those magical movies where everything just clicked at the time. It's almost like remaking Psycho. Why? Why?) The trailer looked like they wanted to make John Wick but get the twist - with girls!

Just looked so stupid.
Joe Public

Post by Joe Public »

All About Eve on an over-the-air channel. I'd never seen it before, and I turned it on maybe 20 minutes after it had started. Definitely from a bygone era, but I enjoyed it.

My 7-year-old asked me what was wrong with the color. :D
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

die hard - a good day to die hard (2013)

:sharebeer :sharebeer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Pirates of the Caribbean: the Curse of the Black Pearl on DVD, Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, 2003, rated PG. The first of the series. Highly entertaining. I liked it.
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

Summer of Soul: Easily one of the best docs I've ever seen, Summer of Soul tells the long-overlooked story of the Harlem Cultural Festival of 1969. The filmmaker does an incredible job of weaving mind-blowing performance footage with the cultural and political context of the event and the era. The list of performers over that summer is jaw-dropping, and the fact that it took 50+ years for this footage to reach an audience is quite a commentary in its own right. Amazing (and most highly recommended!)

As Anthony Lane wrote in the New Yorker, "History covered the wrong gig."
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Mishigami wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:18 am Summer of Soul: Easily one of the best docs I've ever seen, Summer of Soul tells the long-overlooked story of the Harlem Cultural Festival of 1969. The filmmaker does an incredible job of weaving mind-blowing performance footage with the cultural and political context of the event and the era. The list of performers over that summer is jaw-dropping, and the fact that it took 50+ years for this footage to reach an audience is quite a commentary in its own right. Amazing (and most highly recommended!)
I’m getting impatient to watch that, and might have to take a trial/month of Hulu to do so.

The filmmaker, for those who don’t know, is Questlove.
Ahmir Khalib Thompson (born January 20, 1971), known professionally as Questlove (stylized as ?uestlove), is an American musician, songwriter, disc jockey, author, music journalist, and film director. He is the drummer and joint frontman (with Black Thought) for the hip hop band the Roots. The Roots have been serving as the in-house band for The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon since February 17, 2014.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Shalom Aleichem wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:11 am Actually I wonder if Netflix chooses movies it wants people to see and pushes them.
I would not put it past them. The content on Netflix has gone way downhill the last few years.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

The Hole in the Ground

An Irish, single mom's child might have been switched out for something else. There's a creepy big hole in the forest nearby. It's not a very original storyline, but the acting was good. The plot held my attention. It was annoyingly unrealistic that the main character prefers to confront midnight monsters in her house without turning on the lights. Wouldn't want to scare them away, I guess.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Father (2020)— Olivia Colman, Anthony Hopkins

A woman has to deal with her father’s advancing dementia. It’s daily life as seen from the perspective of the person with Alzheimer’s disease which for me was a little scary. I enjoyed the film. Hopkins won Best Actor for his portrayal. We checked the DVD out of our local public library.
Broken Man 1999

Last night I watched Shane (film is 68 years old like me) via Netflix.

I have always enjoyed the genre, named Horse(poop) and Gunpowder by my FIL.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Joe Public wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:03 am All About Eve on an over-the-air channel. I'd never seen it before, and I turned it on maybe 20 minutes after it had started. Definitely from a bygone era, but I enjoyed it.
Masterpiece. Stellar cast. And don't miss the incredible potential in a brief appearance of Marilyn Monroe.
How Bette Davis or Anne Baxter didn't win Best Actress is beyond belief (but then they were up against Gloria Swanson for Sunset Blvd). It ultimately went to Judy Holliday :oops:
https://www.themusichall.org/blog/class ... -part-one/
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

The Hummingbird Project on Netflix. Reminded me a little of a softer version of Uncut Gems. Enjoyed it!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:33 pm Last night I watched Shane (film is 68 years old like me) via Netflix.

Broken Man 1999
+1, Jack Palance was great. He was evil incarnate.
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

delete
Last edited by kimura king on Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broken Man 1999

Nicolas wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:00 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:33 pm Last night I watched Shane (film is 68 years old like me) via Netflix.

Broken Man 1999
+1, Jack Palance was great. He was evil incarnate.
One of the great things about watching old flicks is you are introduced to many actors when they were young. I knew Palance was in the movies, but I had only seen him in much later movies, like City Slickers. Same with Ellen Corby, via The Waltons.

Broken Man 1999
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Lonely Are the Brave (1962) — Kirk Douglas, Walter Matthau, George Kennedy, Gena Rowlands, Caroll O’Connor (his film debut)

This is a modern day western. A loner cowboy gets himself arrested to break a pal and himself out of prison, which was only partly successful. His horse has as much a part in this film as some of the actors do, and this is not a criticism. It’s Kirk Douglas’s favorite film. I enjoyed it and I recommend it. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel. It’s gone at the end of the month.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Getting to know you. Amazon Prime.

A British comedy. Don't give up on it in its first ~15 minutes because the movie does have a good heart and has several touching scenes in it. In other words while the beginning with the drunken girl is part of the movie it doesn't reflect the heart of it. A bittersweet ending.
Last edited by rich126 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

tooluser wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:42 pm Excellent film, right up there with Smokey and The Bandit.
LOL... There's a phrase I never expected to to ever see...

(Although I love Smokey and The Bandit, I can't imagine anyone seeing an "excellent" film, and then immediately comparing it to that movie).
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

chazas wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:51 pm Fast 5 on blu ray. Working my way up in the series in preparation for streaming or 4K disc of F9.
Don't bother...

I think F6 was about the last decent one...

They just get dumber and dumber and dumber...

I don't mind the good guys getting lucky and NOT getting hurt with a 1 in a million move that AVOIDS the crash....

I just can't get past the good guys actually crashing, like really crashing at 100 mph, rolling 15 times down a mountainside, and just getting out of the wrecked car without even a scratch... I mean, not even a tiny bit of fake blood on the forehead... Completely untouched.

It just gets too stupid to watch at a certain point.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:15 pm The Beginning or the End?, 1947. This is a docudrama about the making and first use of the "atomic bomb." I won't go into details or explain why on earth I was watching it beyond saying I'd just read a book about--except to say that it was much less bad than I expected.

But what really bothered me was the use of a mirror-image pair of meters on a radiation detector. There's no obvious reason for their being a pair anyway, they are not labeled as measuring different things and they always swing in synchronization--but in opposite directions. What are the measuring? Dramatic intensity, I guess. But I am disturbed by the bizarre detail of the right-hand meter reading in reverse. They form a mirror-image symmetrical pair, both swinging toward the legend "CRITICAL" whenever it is time to worry us.

I wonder how they even did it? Did they even manufacture d'Arsonval meter movements where the meter rests at zero at the right and swings left? If not, what did the moviemakers do? And why, why, WHY?
LOL... You'd be great at Cinemasins.