What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Hebell

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Hebell »

Matahari wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:42 pm The King of Masks (1999), a Chinese-language film.

Available here on Kanopy, a streaming service available through some libraries:
https://www.kanopy.com/product/king-masks

We saw this in the theater when it first came out and were amazed then. So I was thrilled to find it here and made time to rewatch. The film portrays a slice of cultural life seldom seen. Highly, highly recommended.

(Be careful not be spoiled in advance of watching.)
Thanks. Just put it in my Netflix blueray/dvd queue.
AquaBliss

Post by AquaBliss »

Dave55 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:47 pm "No Time to Die" the new James Bond movie on Amazon streaming. Great entertainment. No more comments so as not to spoil the adventure.

Dave
Got excited then saw I have to pay $20 to watch on Amazon. Bummer.
black jack

Post by black jack »

Dune (in a theater! Go to a weekday matinee and have the theater almost to yourself). Awesome.

The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix). Good movie; clever dialogue; good performances, several from Brits playing iconic (or iconoclastic) Americans (Sacha Baron Cohen was great as Abbie Hoffman).
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
peppers

Post by peppers »

No Time to Die

The new James Bond film with an interesting twist. We enjoyed it.

Dune

I will be kind. Not much better than the 1984 version.

Viewed on Amazon.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Hebell wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:57 pm
Matahari wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:42 pm The King of Masks (1999), a Chinese-language film.

Available here on Kanopy, a streaming service available through some libraries:
https://www.kanopy.com/product/king-masks

We saw this in the theater when it first came out and were amazed then. So I was thrilled to find it here and made time to rewatch. The film portrays a slice of cultural life seldom seen. Highly, highly recommended.

(Be careful not be spoiled in advance of watching.)
Thanks. Just put it in my Netflix blueray/dvd queue.
Hebell, if you like foreign-language films, I just re-watched "Shanghai Triad" (1995), a later Zhang Yimou/Gong Li collaboration, which we'd also seen in the theater years ago. (I'm on a re-watching kick and am thrilled to find these titles.) It's also available on Kanopy:

https://www.kanopy.com/product/shanghai-triad

While perhaps not as acclaimed as their earlier collaborations such as "Raise the Red Lantern" and "To Live," "Shanghai Triad" was also nominated for an Academy Award and is worth a look if you are interested in a portrayal of pre-revolutionary China.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

vbdoug wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:07 pm "Red Notice" on Netflix. Entertaining, anodyne, and fun for the whole family.

But if you want something completely different, and if you enjoyed "Plan Nine From Outer Space", I strongly recommend "Samurai Cop".
Filmed in 1991 in Los Angeles, it has bad direction, terrible acting, gratuitous simulated sex with surprisingly beautiful women, a ridiculous plot line, minimal production value, and oh, so much more.
This film has achieved cult status and is available on Tubi; free with commercials. I was compelled to watch the sequel "Samurai Cop 2: Deadly Vengeance" filmed 24 years after the original. Equally bad, but with a higher budget.
Bring your own popcorn.
So reading this, I decided to peek at "Samurai Cop". I'd watch a minute and fast forward through 5, and so on. I think I got the gist, even seeing a part with the infamous bad wig. One surprise is they had a few actual stunts, including the somewhat dangerous man on fire. Considering the production value, I really hope that guy was OK. I won't spoil what happened to his character in the movie. It was... interesting.

I don't know if it was intentional, but Tubi's digital print of this had a whole bunch of VCR noise. Really added to the whole atmosphere.

My take-away from this movie was that Quentin Tarantino was not telling the whole story about the development of "Grindhouse." He said it was based on 70s C-grade exploitation flicks from when he was a kid. OK, true. But he HAD to have seen Samurai Cop. There are some serious inspirations from this.

Oh, and speaking "Grindhouse," I thought it was fun, especially the fake trailers. If you are not completely in that kind of mood, "Death Proof" is a lot of fun and is one of the features from "Grindhouse." Gotta get me some fun Kurt Russel.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"It Follows", streaming on Netflix. Teen horror movie. I honestly didn't care for it but didn't hate it either. Then I read the reviews (which were good) and now I'm wondering if I should rewatch it to try and figure out why I just thought it was "meh".
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

"All About Eve" [1950] starring Bette Davis and Anne Baxter.
It received a record 14 Academy Award nominations and won 6, including best picture, best director, best screenplay, and best supporting actor for George Sanders.

Surprisingly, the film holds up well after 70+ years. The Oscars are well-deserved.
I saw it for the first time recently. It shows up periodically on TCM [Turner Classic Movies].
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_About_Eve
Last edited by doobiedoo on Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

French dispatch. Very good. I also recommend The Grand Budapest Hotel if you haven’t seen it yet.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

"To Live and Die in LA" [1985] directed by William Friedkin [of "French Connection" fame].

"To Live and Die in LA" stars William Petersen [CSI: Crime Scene Investigation], John Pankow [Mad About You], Willem Dafoe [Platoon, Spider-Man, John Wick, Clear and Present Danger, etc].
John Turturro, Dean Stockwell, and Jane Leeves [Frasier] also have roles. [The credits spell Jane Leeves name as Leaves.]

All the actors were intentionally chosen to be "new faces". They all look very young. William Petersen even looks and displays athleticism in the movie!

I saw it for the first time recently on TCM [Turner Classic Movies]. The car chase scenes are terrific. When Friedkin filmed them he said he would not leave them in the movie unless they were better than the chase scenes in "French Connection".

Near the end of the movie there is a shocking surprise. I won't ruin the effect by revealing it here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090180/
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Spencer
A behind the scenes fictional account of Princess Diana over a three day holiday
period in 1991. The marriage with Prince Charles had not officially ended but
for all practical purposes was damaged beyond repair. The depiction of Diana was
bleak and eerie and although I admire Kristen Stewart as an actress she was not a
believable Diana. Less believable was Jack Farthing as Prince Charles.
I will give kudos to the well crafted atmospherics. The gloomy fog encapsulating
the outdoor locations and imposing centuries old estates along with elegant but
spiritless indoor settings fit the somber mood of the film perfectly.
Not a recommendation from me but others may find it appealing.
2021 film
Viewed at a theatre
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

doobiedoo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:59 pm "All About Eve" [1950] starring Bette Davis and Anne Baxter.
It received a record 14 Academy Award nominations and won 6, including best picture, best director, best actress for Bette Davis, and best supporting actor for George Sanders.

Surprisingly, the film holds up well after 70+ years. The Oscars are well-deserved.
I saw it for the first time recently. It shows up periodically on TCM [Turner Classic Movies].
All of the Betty Davis movies I have seen hold up well to this day. And I was not born 20 years after these movies were made!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

But I didn’t know ‘All about Eve’ was an Academy Award winner! It is really good!!!! But, I really love Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and the other one I forget the name of where she played an older actress/play actor who gets sick and the backup gets her chance!
ScoobyDoo!
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Beasts of the Southern Wild. Absolutely a favorite. The first time I saw it I was told after the movie that I was leaning forward with my mouth opened as if in wonder. While I don't do that now, it still mesmerizes me.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Outsiders.

New extended cut on HBO Max now.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:15 pm
doobiedoo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:59 pm "All About Eve" [1950] starring Bette Davis and Anne Baxter.
It received a record 14 Academy Award nominations and won 6, including best picture, best director, best screen play, and best supporting actor for George Sanders.

All of the Betty Davis movies I have seen hold up well to this day. And I was not born 20 years after these movies were made!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

But I didn’t know ‘All about Eve’ was an Academy Award winner! It is really good!!!! But, I really love Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and the other one I forget the name of where she played an older actress/play actor who gets sick and the backup gets her chance!
ScoobyDoo, I like your screen name. My daughter used to use it too. My younger daughter used to be ScrappyDoo.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I watched the 2021 version of Dune. It was fine. I like the 198* version too. I am going to watch it on TV again. I do wish I had a great big. OLED tv, but oh well. No place to put it.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Many saints of Newark (few weeks ago on HBO). Meh. Kind of interesting but not particularly entertaining and none of the characters were particularly compelling. You got glimpses in the past of certain later sopranos characters but mostly superficially.

Dune - definitely liked it, but saw on tv. I could see how this would be better following reading the book and on the big screen. Still worth watching. I may watch it again.

Apocalypse Now Redux - still a great movie. Very long, and the whole added French home scene really didn’t add anything.

Killing them softly - 2012 James Gandolfini, Brad Pitt, Ray Liota. Kind of a mob movie, great cast, pretty average plot and story line. Bit of a Tarantino extended dialogue feel to it, but the dialogue wasn’t that interesting. It was OK not great.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Index Funds: The Movie. I stopped when they started selling a globally diversified portfolio and changed Mr. Buffett's S&P500 recommendation to "an equity index fund" to suit their narrative. If their script alters a nuance like this, I don't know what else they might attempt to twist later.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

No Time To Die: probably the worst of Craig's time as Bond. Really couldn't wait for it to end.

Finch (AppleTV): Tom Hanks, a dog and a robot stuck in a post-apocalyptic world. We thought it was ok with some interesting and funny parts. Not Hanks best film by a long shot but worth watching if you have AppleTV.

Belfast (theater): Kenneth Branagh's story of growing up as a child in Ireland's troubles. Well acted, especially by the lad playing Branagh. Really wonderful movie with a lot of heart, laughter and sadness (or put another way, Irish :sharebeer)

Nine Days: interesting concept that was poorly executed. A man interviews a group of people for the right to be born into humanity, I'll leave it at that. Stars Winston Duke, Benedict Wong, Tony Hale and others. I really liked the concept, just thought it could have been a better movie for how interesting the idea was.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

rockstar wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:35 pm Outsiders.

New extended cut on HBO Max now.
TCM had the same cut plus an interview with Francis Ford Coppola.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

I still have tears in my eyes from [re]watching "Bridges of Madison County" [1995] starring Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood.

I've probably seen this movie half a dozen times [and read the book twice], but my feelings about it have changed over the years.

When I first saw the movie in 1995, I mainly identified with the husband, Richard, who was married to Streep's character Francesca. When reading the book [which I did before the I saw the film], I remember feeling relieved that Francesca did not run off with Robert Kincaid, Eastwood's character. At that time I had been married for 15 years and we had 2 young children.

25+ years later, I find I identify with Robert Kincaid. What changed?

My wife died 5 years ago. Two years after her death, I fell in love again. Now I was in love with my wife. But my wife and I were very compatible. We had the same cultural heritage, the same major in college, the same profession, similar tastes in most things, and we almost never argued. If a marriage can be easy, we had one [at least until death starts making an impact].

But the woman I fell in love with 3 years ago was very different from me. Different cultural heritage, different occupations, different personalities, different in almost everything. She thought good Chinese food was PF Changs. I thought good Mexican food was Rubios. That meant a lot of dynamics. And we both had baggage from our previous years.

Falling in love in your 60s is just as exhilarating as falling in love in your 20s. In some ways even more so. In your 20s, you are waiting for love to happen. Even expecting it to happen. But after my wife died, I was thinking "Is this all there is? Are my best years behind me? Am I just marking time and going thru the motions of living?" And to discover that one can still have a a life with love, worth and meaning makes the love even more precious.

And then to lose your love .. your chance at happiness. It breaks your heart. I had longer than the 4 days that Kincaid had with his love. But I don't know if that makes it any easier.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"Letters from Iwo Jima" (2006) Japanese with English subtitles, directed by Clint Eastwood. "The story of the battle of Iwo Jima between the United States and Imperial Japan during World War II, as told from the perspective of the Japanese who fought it."

Excellent. Young Japanese soldiers, many of whom don't want to fight and who have families at home, are shown preparing for and fighting a pivotal battle in isolation without air or naval support. The protagonist is a young baker, now soldier, who can't exactly shoot straight and in general, can't get out of his own way. Also of interest is the unorthodox commanding general (played by Ken Watanabe) who revamps Japanese battle tactics despite opposition from his more doctrinaire subordinates. His changes result in the creation of a vast network of underground defensive structures where the Japanese will make their stand. Based on a quick peek of Wikipedia, the battle as portrayed in the film seems historically accurate. There is a companion film, also directed by Eastwood, which covers the Iwo Jima battle from the American perspective.

The film is a bit long and I'm not normally a viewer of war films, but seeing a famous battle from the perspective of "the enemy" was too good to pass up.
treadingwater

Post by treadingwater »

King Richard. HBO and in theaters. About Venus and Serena Williams family life in Compton. Their fathers plan for their success and how he worked at acheiving it despite poverty, racism, gang violence, many obstacles that would deter most people. Best movie we have seen in a long while.
Never panic. Stop looking so much.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:01 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:49 pm "The Garden of the Finzi-Continis" (1970, Italian with English subtitles, directed by Vittorio De Sica). "The story of the Finzi-Continis, a noble family of Ferrara, during the Jewish persecution in Italy's 1930s."

I had expected a somewhat dark film about Mussolini's Italy. Instead, it is a visually beautiful film with soft-focus/hazy sunshine (at least in the beginning) that features beautiful young people on bicycles and playing tennis in the gardens of the vast Finzi-Continis estate. The Finzi-Continis seem content to let their privledged status insulate themselves from the anti-semitic laws being enacted. Or, at least they're trying to adapt while keeping their dignity.

The Finzi-Continis's beautiful, vivacious and icy daughter (Dominique Sanda) is childhood friends with a boy from a middle class Jewish family where similar down-playing of Mussolini's fascism is going on. This obviously cannot last for long but it seems to be either a warning tale against accepting creeping fascism or an object lesson in how humans behave in the face of bad things.

IMDb shows another version of this movie in development. I will be curious to see that one as well.
Thanks. Sounds interesting. I found it on Kanopy (local library streaming service) so have added it to the Q.
roamingzebra:
Thanks for suggesting this movie. I really enjoyed it. :beer
Cautionary Tale

Post by Cautionary Tale »

doobiedoo wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:18 am I still have tears in my eyes from [re]watching "Bridges of Madison County" [1995] starring Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood.

I've probably seen this movie half a dozen times [and read the book twice], but my feelings about it have changed over the years.

When I first saw the movie in 1995, I mainly identified with the husband, Richard, who was married to Streep's character Francesca. When reading the book [which I did before the I saw the film], I remember feeling relieved that Francesca did not run off with Robert Kincaid, Eastwood's character. At that time I had been married for 15 years and we had 2 young children.

My wife died 5 years ago. Two years after her death, I fell in love again. Now I was in love with my wife. But my wife and I were very compatible. We had the same cultural heritage, the same major in college, the same profession, similar tastes in most things, and we almost never argued. If a marriage can be easy, we had one [at least until death starts making an impact].

But the woman I fell in love with 3 years ago was very different from me. Different cultural heritage, different occupations, different personalities, different in almost everything. She thought good Chinese food was PF Changs. I thought good Mexican food was Rubios. That meant a lot of dynamics. And we both had baggage from our previous years.

Falling in love in your 60s is just as exhilarating as falling in love in your 20s. In some ways even more so. In your 20s, you are waiting for love to happen. Even expecting it to happen. But after my wife died, I was thinking "Is this all there is? Are my best years behind me? Am I just marking time and going thru the motions of living?" And to discover that one can still have a a life with love, worth and meaning makes the love even more precious.

And then to lose your love .. your chance at happiness. It breaks your heart. I had longer than the 4 days that Kincaid had with his love. But I don't know if that makes it any easier.
This was moving. Thanks for sharing.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Sand Castle” on Netflix which is an Iraq war movie. Enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Castle_(film)

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Takers” on Netflix which is a bank robbery movie. It stars the late Paul Walker. It was ok (not bad).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takers

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Cautionary Tale wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:14 pm
doobiedoo wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:18 am I still have tears in my eyes from [re]watching "Bridges of Madison County" [1995] starring Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood.

This was moving. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah - I can relate. Losing the second one is very rough.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Dean Martin: King of Cool

Watched it last night. It's Tom Donahue's latest documentary and another great effort. With the reputation they've earned over the past ten years they get access to many famous people and things such as home movies.

Okay, I admit that I knew one of the three founders of creativechaos for 40 years or more, but it really was good. That's him at the end, "In Memory of..."

My wife loved the movie and Dean Martin and stayed up until the end. And it was past her bedtime. :)
digit8

Post by digit8 »

Just rewatched Usual Suspects for the umpteenth time. A stone masterpiece of a crime thriller and one of the few I find more interesting for having learned about the behind the scenes stuff. Many of the best moments were cobbled together on the fly or lucky adjustments to plans gone wrong. True movie making magic.
"You can't latte yourself to bankruptcy. The bladder won't allow it." | -Katherine Porter
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Vanilla Sky on DVD, 2001, rated R, Tom Cruise. A psychological thriller where a rich guy goes to prison and tells the story of how he got there. I fell asleep through some of it and didn't miss anything. The perspective kept changing and I'm still not sure what the ending meant. I'd skip it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

"Sudden Fear" - film noir from 1952 - excellent; watched on Kanopy

Following a whirlwind courtship, acclaimed playwright Myra Hudson (Joan Crawford) marries Lester Blaine (Jack Palance), a slick actor she has just fired from her latest play. Shortly after the honeymoon, Myra overhears Lester and his lover, Irene (Gloria Grahame), plotting to murder the wealthy writer for her inheritance. Shattered by the revelation, Myra pulls herself together and hatches a revenge scheme. But can she go through with her violent plans?

Genre: Mystery & Thriller
Original Language: English
Director: David Miller
Producer: Joe Kaufmann
Writer: Robert Smith, Lenore J. Coffee

Summary from Rotten Tomatoes.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

andypanda wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:51 pm Dean Martin: King of Cool

Watched it last night. It's Tom Donahue's latest documentary and another great effort. With the reputation they've earned over the past ten years they get access to many famous people and things such as home movies.

Okay, I admit that I knew one of the three founders of creativechaos for 40 years or more, but it really was good. That's him at the end, "In Memory of..."

My wife loved the movie and Dean Martin and stayed up until the end. And it was past her bedtime. :)
where did you watch it? I can only find a single showing on TCM in non-HD.

I saw a review of it in the wsj https://www.wsj.com/articles/dean-marti ... os1&page=1

and wanted to see it.

Thanks for the reminder.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

It was on TCM. A quick google search turned up:

Friday, November 26

8 p.m. – Ocean’s 11 (1960) – A group of friends plot to rob a Las Vegas casino.

10:15 p.m. – Robin and the Seven Hoods (1964) – A Chicago gangster stumbles into philanthropic work during a gang war.

12:30 a.m. – King of Cool (2021) – Documentary telling the story of actor and singer Dean Martin through film clips, photographs and interviews with family, friends and colleagues.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

andypanda wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:33 pm It was on TCM. A quick google search turned up:

Friday, November 26

10:15 p.m. – Robin and the Seven Hoods (1964) – A Chicago gangster stumbles into philanthropic work during a gang war.

12:30 a.m. – King of Cool (2021) – Documentary telling the story of actor and singer Dean Martin through film clips, photographs and interviews with family, friends and colleagues.
"Ocean’s 11 (1960)" -- 1960?
Heh! I never knew there was an earlier version! :oops:

How do the 1960 and 2001 version compare?

[Okay... here is one answer:
https://serendipitousanachronisms.wordp ... blogathon/ ]

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

andypanda wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:33 pm It was on TCM. A quick google search turned up:

Friday, November 26

It appears you’re on a rat-pack binge. Now you need to watch some Shirley MacLaine films, the only female rat-packer!
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

doobiedoo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:42 am "To Live and Die in LA" [1985] directed by William Friedkin [of "French Connection" fame].

"To Live and Die in LA" stars William Petersen [CSI: Crime Scene Investigation], John Pankow [Mad About You], Willem Dafoe [Platoon, Spider-Man, John Wick, Clear and Present Danger, etc].
John Turturro, Dean Stockwell, and Jane Leeves [Frasier] also have roles. [The credits spell Jane Leeves name as Leaves.]

All the actors were intentionally chosen to be "new faces". They all look very young. William Petersen even looks and displays athleticism in the movie!

I saw it for the first time recently on TCM [Turner Classic Movies]. The car chase scenes are terrific. When Friedkin filmed them he said he would not leave them in the movie unless they were better than the chase scenes in "French Connection".

Near the end of the movie there is a shocking surprise. I won't ruin the effect by revealing it here.

I am currently on the same track from the same source, just a few days delayed! Great double feature. I saw parts of The French Connection when I was little (my dad liked cop movies), and I did not like how unkempt/gritty it was, and how no one was doing anything I understood or cared about. Now that's how to make an R-rated film! As an adult now I love the feel to it. Interesting that much of the car chase scenes were unpermitted and very dangerous, and the director swears he would never do that again.
digit8

Post by digit8 »

Movie trade night with the wife. Mine was Heist, with Gene Hackman absolutely killing it thanks in large part to the David Mamet dialogue (“My (man) is so cool that when sheep need to sleep, they count him”). Hers was Birds of Prey, which wasn’t doing much for an overcrowded and generally middling genre, but my goodness Margot Robbie can bring a comic book character to life, and look great doing it.
"You can't latte yourself to bankruptcy. The bladder won't allow it." | -Katherine Porter
black jack

Post by black jack »

Tick, Tick...Boom, on Netflix.

A movie (directed by Lin Manuel Miranda in his directorial debut) based on an autobiographical musical (called Tick, Tick... Boom) written by Jonathon Larson about the pressure he was feeling to write a successful musical before he turned 30 (in the musical he's about two weeks shy of 30). The movie depicts Larson working on the final touches of the musical before a workshop performance, and dealing with a decision about whether to stick with composing (and working at a diner) or to take his talents to an ad agency to make a living, and dealing with a related relationship crisis with his girlfriend, with songs from the musical (I assume) scattered throughout the movie.

I'm not a huge musical theater fan—I only knew who Larson was from looking him up in Wikipedia—nor is the friend I saw it with, but we both greatly enjoyed it. The performance of Andrew Garfield, as Larson, is stellar, but there's not a mediocre performance anywhere in the cast.

And who is Jonathon Larson, some of you may ask? He was an aspiring musical theater composer who wrote a couple of musicals that didn't go anywhere—and then he wrote Rent, one of the most successful shows in Broadway history. And he died of an aortic dissection, aged 35, the day before the show had its first performance.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
chazas

Post by chazas »

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, on Disney+ (4K projection/Atmos home theater). I normally don’t like Marvel movies, but it was really really good. So many strong performances/roles, almost all Asian and so many women! Beautifully filmed and written, other than all the obligatory MCU stuff.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

doobiedoo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:42 am "To Live and Die in LA" [1985] directed by William Friedkin [of "French Connection" fame].

Great movie that I don't think many people have seen or even heard about. Yes the car chase scenes are awesome - very believable. None of the usual phony stuff with cars hitting ramps and spiraling thru the air before blowing up. It was made when most cars still had carburetors, and you can hear the four barrel carburetor kicking in. Gets the adrenalin flowing. Brings back memories.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Red Notice on Netflix. With The Rock and the Gal that played Wonder Woman. Too much unnecessary bad language. Not bad as an action movie, but still did not watch to the end.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

Tick, Tick Boom on Netflix, I liked it, A+
Here is a good write up on this stage to screen presentation
https://www.theonlycritic.com/post/tick ... onal-punch
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

runner26 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:05 pm Tick, Tick Boom on Netflix, I liked it, A+
Here is a good write up on this stage to screen presentation
https://www.theonlycritic.com/post/tick ... onal-punch
We spent the night at my parent's home last night pre-Thanksgiving. My youngest sisters (27 and 18) nearly got into a fist-fight (not a joke) arguing whether this was a good movie or unbearable to watch. It would be really difficult to write a premise that would make me want to watch a film less, but now I am intrigued.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:44 am
runner26 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:05 pm Tick, Tick Boom on Netflix
We spent the night at my parent's home last night pre-Thanksgiving. My youngest sisters (27 and 18) nearly got into a fist-fight (not a joke) arguing whether this was a good movie or unbearable to watch. It would be really difficult to write a premise that would make me want to watch a film less, but now I am intrigued.
Yea, I get it, may be unbearable to some. I am a fan of Rent having seen it several times on Broadway back in the day. I liked seeing the life, struggles and determination leading to it's creation.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Joaquin Phoenix in C'mon C'mon. An uncle looks after his nephew during a family emergency.

I"ve seen just a handful of what I would regard as fine films this year and this is certainly one of them.

Recommended.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

black jack wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:18 am Tick, Tick...Boom, on Netflix.

A movie (directed by Lin Manuel Miranda in his directorial debut) based on an autobiographical musical (called Tick, Tick... Boom) written by Jonathon Larson about the pressure he was feeling to write a successful musical before he turned 30 (in the musical he's about two weeks shy of 30). The movie depicts Larson working on the final touches of the musical before a workshop performance, and dealing with a decision about whether to stick with composing (and working at a diner) or to take his talents to an ad agency to make a living, and dealing with a related relationship crisis with his girlfriend, with songs from the musical (I assume) scattered throughout the movie.

I'm not a huge musical theater fan—I only knew who Larson was from looking him up in Wikipedia—nor is the friend I saw it with, but we both greatly enjoyed it. The performance of Andrew Garfield, as Larson, is stellar, but there's not a mediocre performance anywhere in the cast.

And who is Jonathon Larson, some of you may ask? He was an aspiring musical theater composer who wrote a couple of musicals that didn't go anywhere—and then he wrote Rent, one of the most successful shows in Broadway history. And he died of an aortic dissection, aged 35, the day before the show had its first performance.
For people who *are* Broadway fans, the movie is packed with Broadway regulars, sometimes in small cameo roles. Besides the fact that they’re all really talented musical theater people, it’s fun going “hey, isn’t he the guy from Hadestown?”
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Trains, Planes and Autombiles, on Amazon Prime.

Hilarious Thanksgiving movie, starring Steve Martin and John Candy.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Jane Campion's The Power of the Dog. This intense drama is set in Montana in the 1920s. Masterful storytelling and acting. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Kirsten Dunst.

I saw this Netflix movie in the theater.

Recommended. One of the year's best.
Blues

Post by Blues »

jginseattle wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:10 pm Jane Campion's The Power of the Dog. This intense drama is set in Montana in the 1920s. Masterful storytelling and acting. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Kirsten Dunst.

I saw this Netflix movie in the theater.

Recommended. One of the year's best.
An excellent read as well. (I'll look forward to seeing the movie.)