What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by abuss368 »

‘Saving Private Ryan”. Sad but always enjoy the film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saving_Private_Ryan

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

The Debt

Israeli Mossad hunt a Nazi War Criminal

ms gamboolgal and I enjoyed it and Do Recommend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Debt_(2010_film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnPV_MLgiIc
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Tombstone (1993)
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Nomadland on Hulu. Interesting and very sad portrayal of the consequences of plant closures/outsourcing American jobs overseas. Also, a warning about making poor life choices. On the bright side, The main character portrays a very giving woman doing her best to survive as an independent person.
Last edited by Cruise on Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Bounty Hunter, on regular cable TV.

This action movie/romantic comedy stars Gerald Butler, Jennifer Anniston and Christine Baranski. A former policeman works as a bounty hunter. He is delighted when he is assigned to catch and jail his ex-wife, whose bail was revoked because she missed a court date. We enjoyed this movie.

trailer
Last edited by ruralavalon on Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

Just watched Love and Monsters and The Half of It as part of a goofy rom-com double feature last weekend. Both were not quite what I expected, and were very enjoyable.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Cruise wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:55 am Nomadland on Hulu. Interesting and very sad portrayal of the consequences of plant closures/outsourcing American jobs overseas. Also, a warning about making poor life choices. On the bright side, The main character portrays a very giving woman doing her best to survive as an independent person.
Sad yes, but I did enjoy it.

I talk with my wife (we're retired) about just getting in our van and see where we get too. Taking back roads thru small towns. Staying on the cheap at small independent motels and eating at local restaurants. She'll have no parts of that even if we rented a small RV. Certainly a scary way of life if you don't have a place to return too and little money.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
FIREyourself

Post by FIREyourself »

"The Omen" on Hulu - 4/5

I share the main character's last name so that added an extra layer of fun. I already didn't want kids but this seals the deal haha.
1/3 VTI | 1/3 VXUS | 1/3 BND
Nivek

Post by Nivek »

“I Care a Lot” on Netflix. Not a fan, tough topic but really wasn’t that great of a story. I think they missed a great opportunity to use Diane West more but regardless don’t recommend.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

manatee2005 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:32 am Tombstone (1993)
A superior film to Wyatt Earp, which came out at roughly the same time. Great cast.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Had to re watch Blues Brothers....I dont know why but....also Ted Lasso is a series that works as well...
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

2019 Netflix "Delhi Crime" based on the true story solving the crime of gang rape of a young woman.
Filmed in Delhi it was really intense. The skill of the woman in charge of the investigation was truly amazing as she tracked down the 6 individuals responsible.
Very interesting to see all the street scenes and watch the high level politics as authorities at higher levels tried to deflect blame for the horrible crime.
It is mixed English/Hindi.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

OldBallCoach wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:58 pm Had to re watch Blues Brothers....I dont know why but.....
HAHAHAHA, now you made me want to rewatch. One of my faves, no small part due to the incredible musicians performing cameos in it.
HOF line-up: John Lee Hooker, Ray Charles, James Brown, Cab Calloway and the inimitable Aretha.
Steven Spielberg, Peewee Herman and Frank Oz had cameos too :beer
Oh and the stories of John Belushi during filming... :twisted:
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

CardinalRule wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:53 pm
manatee2005 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:32 am Tombstone (1993)
A superior film to Wyatt Earp, which came out at roughly the same time. Great cast.
I watched Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner to compare it and fell asleep twice.
6bquick

Post by 6bquick »

Watched "Good Morning, Vietnam" last night. I laughed so hard!!
According to IMDB, Robin Williams improv'd ALL of the radio broadcasts. He was so talented.

A bit like Full Metal Jacket for me though. The first half of the movie is solid gold. the last half, they get into some anti-war drama-esque type stuff, it gets less comedic and a little slow for my liking. but, overall 10/10, if you haven't seen it, give it a go.
If your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

"Good Hair" - by Chris Rock on Netflix, a documentary about African American women's hair. Very entertaining and educational, really enjoyed it although it is difficult as a Boglehead to hear how much they were spending!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

The Conqueror

Recorded from TCM. It portrays the rise of Genghis Khan. This movie has been regularly listed as one of the worst movies ever made. It stars John Wayne and several other big names.

What's really remarkable about it, is that it would probably just be a forgotten high-end mediocre movie, except that John Wayne pretty much single-handedly ruins it with his wooden dialogue. The other actors pull off the fancy language reasonably well.

There's a pretty good dance number in the middle. Not really recommended though.
telemark

Post by telemark »

High Road to China (1983)

Bess Armstrong and Tom Selleck adventuring through Afghanistan, Nepal, and China in search of her father, the show-stealing Wilford Brimley. Not necessarily great art, but definitely great fun. Rented on Amazon Prime.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Muppet Treasure Island: I've seen much worse pirate movies and it's actually pretty good for a muppet movie.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

We watched East Side Sushi on Netflix.

It was filmed in Oakland, CA, which made it fun because we know lots of the setting. It is a PG rated film about the unlikely rise of a female sushi chef from hispanic descent. Made me cry a bit at the end. I real feel-good movie.

I think it goes away on March 18th, so watch it now if you want something light and sweet.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

I got about halfway through "Coming 2 America" on Amazon Prime, and I could take no more.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

MikeWillRetire wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:06 pm I got about halfway through "Coming 2 America" on Amazon Prime, and I could take no more.
Movie is really pretty bad. BUT it was ahead of its time and still pretty funny...for a certain time and audience! At the time, the actors in it was unprecedented!!!!! But, yeah, not a great film....but great story, man...
ScoobyDoo!
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:57 pm
MikeWillRetire wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:06 pm I got about halfway through "Coming 2 America" on Amazon Prime, and I could take no more.
Movie is really pretty bad. BUT it was ahead of its time and still pretty funny...for a certain time and audience! At the time, the actors in it was unprecedented!!!!! But, yeah, not a great film....but great story, man...
Are you talking about the original or the sequel?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Monsters, Inc., 2001, rated G. If you've ever wondered where those monsters under your bed live, watch this movie. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

I'm talking about the new sequel. Just awful.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

mrsbetsy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:00 pm We watched East Side Sushi on Netflix.

It was filmed in Oakland, CA, which made it fun because we know lots of the setting. It is a PG rated film about the unlikely rise of a female sushi chef from hispanic descent. Made me cry a bit at the end. I real feel-good movie.

I think it goes away on March 18th, so watch it now if you want something light and sweet.
Thanks for this suggestion! I watched it last night. Cute and I appreciated the strong main character and her determination. :happy
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

manatee2005 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:50 pm
The original. Which i watched last night in preparation. I laughed so hard...lol....Probably just remembering what it was like when I watched it as a kid!!!!

I’m too afraid to watch the sequel... :shock:
ScoobyDoo!
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

The Rental (2020) on Showtime with Dan Stevens (Downton Abbey) and Alison Brie.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. And I will be careful in the future when making Airbnb vacation arrangements.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Croods: New Age (new release)
DVD from public library, free.
Hilarious sequel, I found it funnier than the original. Will watch again.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Flight 313” on Amazon. It was ok. The film was based on actual events.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dark_Reflection

Tony
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:20 am
The original. Which i watched last night in preparation. I laughed so hard...lol....Probably just remembering what it was like when I watched it as a kid!!!!

I watched the sequel last night and thought it was a fun watch. Nowhere nearly as good as the original, but decent nonetheless.

And good music scene with lots of great artists, even if it added little to the story.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:20 am

I loved all eddie murphy movies as a kid, Beverly hills cop, Trading places, coming to america, he was great.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I watched Coming 2 America this afternoon and liked it more than I expected to. I rewatched Coming to America last night, also on Amazon Prime. The original was just as funny as I remembered it - a real comedic classic. The sequel is clearly not as good or funny, but it was fun to see so much of the original cast - even the older actors like James Earl Jones and John Amos - back on the screen.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“There is Many Like Us” on Amazon. WW II Holocaust movie. Sad reminder but good movie based on true story.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_I ... _Us_(film)

Tony
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Secret: Dare to Dream, on Amazon Prime.

This is a heartwarming movie about a middle-aged widow raising three children, who finds romance unexpectedly. I recommend the movie, it's not as sappy as it sounds.

trailer
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Snatch. Directed by Guy Ritchie and released in 2000. It was on one of the movie channels recently. Very entertaining.

I also enjoyed Mr. Ritchie's more recent The Gentlemen.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

jginseattle wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:27 pm Snatch. Directed by Guy Ritchie and released in 2000. It was on one of the movie channels recently. Very entertaining.

I also enjoyed Mr. Ritchie's more recent The Gentlemen.
Don't miss 1998's Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. It's probably what convinced Brad Pitt to do Snatch.

My favorite part in Snatch: Cousin Avi (Dennis Farina) flying back and forth between New York and London.
  • Customs official: Anything to declare?
    Avi: Yeah. Don't go to England.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

They Remain

Creepy thriller about two people investigating "strange animal behavior" in a remote area once inhabited by a cult. The mystery is revealed slowly and held my attention. Someone else described it as a movie about a "wrong place", which is apt.

The camera work is sometimes too innovative. There is some unexplained weirdness left hanging with no explanation. The ending is more satisfying than The Blair Witch Project.

The soundtrack is incredible and a huge part of the experience, perhaps worth watching the film just for the excellent ambient creepiness if you have a good sound system. I enjoyed it.
Last edited by tooluser on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher: The Murder at Road Hill House, on Amazon Prime.

This is a made for TV movie, based on the real-life Constance Kent murder case of 1860. A nursemaid is accused of murdering a 3 year old boy in a small village in Wiltshire, England. Detective Inspector Mr. Whicher of Scotland Yard is sent to investigate.

I recommend this movie.

This is the first of series of four mystery movies.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:42 pm The Secret: Dare to Dream, on Amazon Prime.

This is a heartwarming movie about a middle-aged widow raising three children, who finds romance unexpectedly. I recommend the movie, it's not as sappy as it sounds.

trailer
Thanks for the tip. My wife and I enjoyed that very much.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

First I read the novel The Lathe of Heaven, by Ursula K LeGuin.
Then I watched the PBS movie of the same title from 1980.
Then I watched the A&E movie Lathe of Heaven from 2002.

An excellent and thought-provoking story. The 1980 movie is largely true to the novel, and was also excellent.

The 2002 movie made several changes that removed much of the thought. It was also not cast as appropriately, a waste of James Caan's talent. Still watchable though.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

tooluser wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:02 pm First I read the novel The Lathe of Heaven, by Ursula K LeGuin.
Then I watched the PBS movie of the same title from 1980.
Then I watched the A&E movie Lathe of Heaven from 2002.

An excellent and thought-provoking story. The 1980 movie is largely true to the novel, and was also excellent.

The 2002 movie made several changes that removed much of the thought. It was also not cast as appropriately, a waste of James Caan's talent. Still watchable though.
never heard of.

just recently started reading scifi...interestingly enough i love watching scifi, fantasy, etc but was never into reading it. Started with Octavia Butler, tried Expanse, Lord of Rings, game of thrones after watching the series/movies. Not sure if I like the books because its just a story of the movie/show just watched????

Anyway, I will put this book on the TBR list!
ScoobyDoo!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sci-fi books are discussed in: Good Modern Science Fiction

Otherwise, books are in: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Mrmetalpole

Post by Mrmetalpole »

Matahari wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:39 pm
Japanfan1986 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:07 pm Anyone have any recommendations for good dramas/protagonists driven stories that deal with money as an important element in someway?
Arbitrage (2012) directed by Nicholas Jarecki and starring Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and Tim Roth, among others.
Margin Call - ensemble cast, under the radar and well-worth watching for anyone intrigued by Wall Street
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Night Falls on Manhattan” on Amazon. Enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Falls_on_Manhattan

Tony
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Devil Wears Prada on DVD, rated PG-13, 2006, Meryl Streep. An aspiring journalist lands a job at a fashion magazine that has a very demanding boss. This chick flick is a nice change of pace, I liked it.

Update: Title corrected, see below.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:49 am The Devil Wears Pravda on DVD, rated PG-13, 2006, Meryl Streep. An aspiring journalist lands a job at a fashion magazine that has a very demanding boss. This chick flick is a nice change of pace, I liked it.
Ahem, pravda means "truth" in Russian. It's also the name of their state newspaper under the soviets, when it meant quite the opposite.

Perhaps you meant Prada Official Website | Thinking fashion since 1913 | PRADA, as in The Devil Wears Prada? ;)
Last edited by Bylo Selhi on Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
FIREyourself

Post by FIREyourself »

"Captain Fantastic" on Netflix - 5/5

Viggo Mortensen and his survivalist family must choose between their eccentric lifestyle and meeting society's expectations. Great movie I passed over many times!
1/3 VTI | 1/3 VXUS | 1/3 BND
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

FIREyourself wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:19 am "Captain Fantastic" on Netflix - 5/5

Viggo Mortensen and his survivalist family must choose between their eccentric lifestyle and meeting society's expectations. Great movie I passed over many times!
+1

I saw this a while back and enjoyed it. :beer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:12 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:49 am The Devil Wears Pravda on DVD, rated PG-13, 2006, Meryl Streep. An aspiring journalist lands a job at a fashion magazine that has a very demanding boss. This chick flick is a nice change of pace, I liked it.
Ahem, pravda means "truth" in Russian. It's also the name of their state newspaper under the soviets, when it meant quite the opposite.

Perhaps you meant Prada Canada Official Website | Thinking fashion since 1913 | PRADA, as in The Devil Wears Prada? ;)
:D Thanks, I fixed my title.