What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AllMostThere

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by AllMostThere »

DW & I watched "Tenet" last night. OMG, we love SciFi, but this movie was the worst. Plot development was disjointed and hard to follow. We couldn't follow WTH was going on. Were they in the present, future or back in time? :confused The premise had potential, but it was impossible to follow along. Waste of time and money. Luckily, it was basically free as I used Amazon No Rush Shipping Credit to rent.
Last edited by AllMostThere on Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Bourne Supremacy, on DVD, 2004, rated PG-13, Matt Damon. Jason Bourne is framed. Lots of action. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Just saw "Sound of Metal" on Amazon Prime and I have to say it is the best movie I've seen in a while. If you love music, go to shows, play in a band, etc., it hits a nerve. Oscar contender for sure.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

Japanfan1986 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:07 pm Anyone have any recommendations for good dramas/protagonists driven stories that deal with money as an important element in someway?

I tend to really like these and in particular The Wolf of Wall Street is one of my favorite movies. I figured this forum would be a great place to ask for recommendations.

Aside from that since January I rewatched a trio of movies sort of like that. There Will Be Blood, The Founder, and Goodfellas.

Also, stretching it here, but American Psycho seems like a fantastic life to live if it wasn’t for all the murder/insanity. I’m being facetious but really all Patrick Bateman seems to do for work is listen to music on his headphones, doodle in his planner, and eat at trendy restaurants. I’ve read speculations that his salary was $500K+ a year. Plus, it takes place in 1980’s NYC. Not bad.
have you seen Margin Call?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615147/

Not as good but there is also Rogue Trader

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131566/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
henry

Post by henry »

Japanfan1986 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:07 pm Anyone have any recommendations for good dramas/protagonists driven stories that deal with money as an important element in someway?

I tend to really like these and in particular The Wolf of Wall Street is one of my favorite movies. I figured this forum would be a great place to ask for recommendations.

Aside from that since January I rewatched a trio of movies sort of like that. There Will Be Blood, The Founder, and Goodfellas.

Also, stretching it here, but American Psycho seems like a fantastic life to live if it wasn’t for all the murder/insanity. I’m being facetious but really all Patrick Bateman seems to do for work is listen to music on his headphones, doodle in his planner, and eat at trendy restaurants. I’ve read speculations that his salary was $500K+ a year. Plus, it takes place in 1980’s NYC. Not bad.
Boiler Room (2000)
Wall Street (1987)
The Big Short (2015)
The Hummingbird Project (2018)
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005) -- not a movie, but a well done interesting documentary about Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling and others involved in the Enron scandal
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Just watched "Casting By" and recommend this documentary that's available on Prime.

It looks at the making of films through the lens of the casting person/director, and how that role has evolved through the decades and caused "political" issues within the film industry.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1293751/
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

FIREyourself wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:35 pm "I Care a Lot" on Netflix - 3/5

"Hunt for the Wilderpeople" on Netflix - 5/5
I Care a Lot. I started to watch and first found it depressing putting myself in the role of the old woman played by Diane West, but intriguing. Then it turned out farcical and I lost interest.
Thew Wilderpeople was good.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

henry wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:50 pm

Boiler Room (2000)
Wall Street (1987)
The Big Short (2015)
The Hummingbird Project (2018)
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005) -- not a movie, but a well done interesting documentary about Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling and others involved in the Enron scandal
And the greatest movie about greed (hold my beer, Wall Street).. The Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948).
"I know what gold does to men's souls"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQyqvFVe4Y4&t=114s
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Arbitrage (2012) directed by Nicholas Jarecki and starring Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and Tim Roth, among others.
Japanfan1986

Post by Japanfan1986 »

Thank you all for the recommendations. I’ve seen some of those recommended but not all. In particular I think next I’ll check out the Smartest Guys in the Room since it’s streaming on Amazon Prime, which I have.

I also checked out I Care a Lot after it was mentioned on here a few times. It wasn’t what I was in the mood for, but it was well made and could appeal to someone who likes those kind of movies.

I was hoping for a serious drama that showed the ethical decline of someone working as a guardian. We get that for about the first 20 minutes. Then it turns into a comic book movie. Right down to the super villain. I mean the stylized pastries, pulling a gun on someone in an abandoned parking lot, doing gymnastic exercises to opera! And that’s just how we’re more or less introduced to the character. Way, way over the top.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Munir wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:24 am
Random Poster wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:02 pm Nomadland, on Hulu.

Description: A woman (Frances McDormand) embarks on a journey through the American West after losing everything during the recession.

The movie seems to get good reviews, but I found it to be depressing. It is an odd mix of a film and a documentary, using actors and non-actors.

I have the book of the same name that the film is based on and was looking forward to reading it; now I’m not so sure if I will.
It may be somewhat depressing but that does not negate it being a great film. It also educated me on the lifestyle of a subculture in our society. Wonderful acting and scenery too.,
Haven't seen this one yet but the director's previous movie was "The Rider." About young rodeo riders, again a mix of professional actors and discovered talent. Memorable, beautiful and moving story of real people, but not light entertainment.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

To Catch a Thief, on Amazon Prime.

Excellent 1955 movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock, starting Cary Grant and Grace Kelly. Jewel robberies in Southern France, an ex-thief must clear his name.

trailer
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
RogerWilco

Post by RogerWilco »

Whiplash (2014)

A promising young drummer enrolls at a cut-throat music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who will stop at nothing to realize a student's potential.

Stars: Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons, Melissa Benoist

Good enough to watch again!
danielrhall

Post by danielrhall »

Japanfan1986 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:10 am I was hoping for a serious drama that showed the ethical decline of someone working as a guardian. We get that for about the first 20 minutes. Then it turns into a comic book movie. Right down to the super villain. I mean the stylized pastries, pulling a gun on someone in an abandoned parking lot, doing gymnastic exercises to opera! And that’s just how we’re more or less introduced to the character. Way, way over the top.
Good, accurate summary of the movie. I watched it last night and, about halfway through, began wondering who was supposed to be the sympathetic character in the story. It turned out that nobody was. There was an attempt at somewhat redeeming that at the end, but it fell short.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

sid hartha wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:57 pm

Margin Call is excellent.
ACN

Post by ACN »

I care a lot - Netflix. Dark. But definitely great and entertaining.

Schitts Creek - Netflix. Hilariously funny. Rich family gets all assets taken away, so they move to a small poor rural town. Takes a few episodes to get going, but the characters are just fabulous. We're finishing season 2 and can't stop watching.

Lupin - Netflix. In French. Thief who steals some jewelry to make up for a wrong in his past. Entertaining. We watch all movies with subtitles, so easy to watch foreign films.

Master of None. Netflix. Comedy with aziz Ansari. Follows his character in NYC about dating and food. Kind of like a Seinfeld. His real life dad plays his dad in the show. Easy to watch. Two seasons.

Watching movies with subtitles, I always pick up new lines or words that I would have missed otherwise.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

jginseattle wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:09 pm

Margin Call is excellent.
Glengarry Glen Ross (big names, memorable performances and story)
Rollover (big names, I haven't seen it, so can't recommend it, but I remember the ominous TV commercials)

The Rollover trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIKOY7ZASlU
Look at all that gorgeous 1981 technology! All trades to the nearest 1/8!

You should see my new business cards.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

ACN wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:57 pm I care a lot - Netflix. Dark. But definitely great and entertaining.

Schitts Creek - Netflix. Hilariously funny. Rich family gets all assets taken away, so they move to a small poor rural town. Takes a few episodes to get going, but the characters are just fabulous. We're finishing season 2 and can't stop watching.

Lupin - Netflix. In French. Thief who steals some jewelry to make up for a wrong in his past. Entertaining. We watch all movies with subtitles, so easy to watch foreign films.

Master of None. Netflix. Comedy with aziz Ansari. Follows his character in NYC about dating and food. Kind of like a Seinfeld. His real life dad plays his dad in the show. Easy to watch. Two seasons.

Watching movies with subtitles, I always pick up new lines or words that I would have missed otherwise.
Series can be discussed in: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Conspirator” on Amazon. This film was about the President Abraham Lincoln assassination. I really enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conspirator

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Concur on margin call. Good movie. In some ways it was loosely modeled around what happened in 2008. Good actors and good performances.

The big short - outstanding movie, again about 2008, and based upon real people who saw the crash coming.

Too big to fail - about 2008.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

The Dig - netflix- agree, very good movie

I care a lot - Netflix - really hard for me to evaluate this movie. Certainly not bad, but not great either. I found at the beginning that knowing this was a fictional exaggerated movie the whole concept of fraudulent guardianship really makes me angry and I find a hard time being entertained by an exaggerated fictional account of it (why I can put that aside for murder movies, mob movies, etc, but not for this admittedly makes little sense). I had high hopes for the Peter Dinklage character (Tyrion, game of thrones) but I was somewhat underwhelmed by it.

Not only were the characters unlike able they were unrelatable.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Paths of Glory (1957) — Kirk Douglas, Ralph Meeker, Adolphe Menjou, Timothy Carey. Director: Stanley Kubrick

After refusing to attack an enemy position in WWI, a general accuses the soldiers of cowardice and their commanding officer must defend them.

An early Kubrick anti-war masterpiece! My second viewing. A must-see for any film aficionado. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel, it’s gone after the end of the month.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

The Dali and the Cooper

This was a 30 minute short subject on Showtime. It was by turns amusing, possibly factual, and not that great but sort of a guilty treat. I liked it.

I haven't done any research, but it appears to be an attempt to create a backstory for a famous photograph of Salvador Dali and Alice Cooper together. Definitely an interesting competition of personalities, with two more personalities thrown in for good measure. How the heck did that happen?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:22 pm Much Ado About Nothing, on Amazon Prime.

This is a romantic comedy based on a play by WIlliam Shakespeare. The movie stars Emma Thompson, Kenneth Branagh, and Kate Beckinsale and features Denzel Washingtin, Keanu Reeves and Michael Keaton. A very good movie.
Just finished watching this.....excellent!
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

Just finished watching the western " News of the World" starring Tom Hanks (on my Amazon Fire Stick). I found it to be very enjoyable. Hard to find a Tom Hanks movie I didn't like. Helena Zengel as the young Johanna also was excellent.

For anyone not familiar with this movie, it's about a former civil war captain who must return a young girl, kidnapped by Native Americans, to her relatives.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Mile 22 on Netflix. Enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile_22

Tony
zeppy

Post by zeppy »

It really helps a lot when folks mention where they saw a movie so I don't spend lots of time searching on Amazon Prime for something somebody saw on Netflix or other.
Thanks
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

zeppy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:54 am It really helps a lot when folks mention where they saw a movie so I don't spend lots of time searching on Amazon Prime for something somebody saw on Netflix or other.
Thanks
I know what you mean.

I use Roku which has a global search. If something is on any of your subscribed services, Roku search will find it for you. I don't think it is 100% reliable, but mostly.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

FIREyourself wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:35 pm "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" on Netflix - 5/5
+ 1000
I loved it. Just like I loved Jojo Rabbit. Taika Waititi is a wonderful director.
Next up is to see his "Boy" and "What We Do In The Shadows".
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

Spending time with the 5 year old Grand daughter and ended up watching The Secret of NIMH on Amazon Prime... An older cartoon story I don't remember seeing before... We liked it....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Days of Heaven, directed by Terrence Malick and starring Richard Gere, Brooke Adams, Sam Shepherd and Linda Manz, and which should be seen on the biggest screen available. We first saw this film in the theater during a revival and it was incredible to see on the big screen.

On Kanopy.com: https://www.kanopy.com/product/days-heaven-0

Also available for a small rental fee on Amazon Prime:
https://www.amazon.com/Days-Heaven-Rich ... B001KT3JQ2

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/watc ... watch.html
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Haywire” on Netflix. It was ok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haywire_(2011_film)

Tony
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Mystery Road - Amazon Prime

After watching the TV series of the same name - went back to watch the original movie. Australian outback sort-of-noir slow burn about a newly promoted aboriginal detective assigned to a case of a murdered aboriginal girl. Really liked it. Has Hugo Weaving as the intriguing cop, Johnno.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

"Dreamland' on DVD ( from library ). Set in the 30's , it is a Bonnie and Clyde type movie. It was very good.
All the Best, | Joe
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:58 pm Mystery Road - Amazon Prime

After watching the TV series of the same name - went back to watch the original movie. Australian outback sort-of-noir slow burn about a newly promoted aboriginal detective assigned to a case of a murdered aboriginal girl. Really liked it. Has Hugo Weaving as the intriguing cop, Johnno.
Saw it too. Very good.
All the Best, | Joe
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

tadamsmar wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:22 am I watched Mank last night. Streaming on Netflix only, not sure if it is still in any theaters. Golden Globe best picture nomination.

If you have an interest in Citizen Kane then this is a good one to watch. It's a biographical drama about the guy who wrote the screenplay. Centers around events in the early 1930s. It's in black and white and seems to use some cinematographic techniques from Citizen Kane.
Had a day off on Friday and watched Mank and Citizen Kane back to back on Netflix and HBO Max, respectively. Excellent performances in the newer film, particularly by Gary Oldman and Amanda Seyfried, and it put a different light on Kane, which I had seen at least twice before.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

bertilak wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:10 am
zeppy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:54 am It really helps a lot when folks mention where they saw a movie so I don't spend lots of time searching on Amazon Prime for something somebody saw on Netflix or other.
Thanks
I know what you mean.

I use Roku which has a global search. If something is on any of your subscribed services, Roku search will find it for you. I don't think it is 100% reliable, but mostly.
Same with firestick. Use the search on the main menu. I've only started doing this the last couple of weeks when my wife asked why I didn't use this.
black jack

Post by black jack »

Enola Holmes on Netflix.

Based on a novel, or series, though I only learned that from the credits. Enola is the younger sister of adults Sherlock and Mycroft. Her mom disappears on Enola's 16th birthday and she sets out to find her, in the course of which she becomes involved in another mystery. Henry Cavill plays Sherlock.

It's a lovely period piece with charming characters; I greatly enjoyed it.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Bourne Ultimatum, on DVD, PG-13, 2007, Matt Damon. The 3rd Bourne movie. Jason Bourne attempts to copy his earlier movies by running from a CIA conspiracy plot to assassinate him. Lots of action with car chase scenes and fighting. The sound effects in the fight scenes were almost comical.

One technique to add drama is to slowly shake the camera while filming the scene. I was getting sea sick from the camera motion. Meh.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

2021 Golden Globe nominees; Best Motion Picture — Drama

The Father - in theaters
Mank - Netflix
Nomadland - Hulu
Promising Young Woman - rent from Amazon, Google Play, etc.
The Trial of the Chicago 7 - Netflix

I have seen the second, third, and fifth movies above. I liked all three, especially Nomadland. I am very interested in the other two but will probably wait a little while to see them.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

tenkuky wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:17 am
FIREyourself wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:35 pm "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" on Netflix - 5/5
+ 1000
I loved it. Just like I loved Jojo Rabbit. Taika Waititi is a wonderful director.
Watched it last night. One of the more enjoyable movies in many months.

Wish I could remember the line near the end when the boy says something, the uncle says this is New Zealand, not the US. It was funny at the time!

DOH! I just realized Hec is played by Sam Neill.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

heartwood wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:31 am
tenkuky wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:17 am
+ 1000
Watched it last night. One of the more enjoyable movies in many months.

Wish I could remember the line near the end when the boy says something, the uncle says this is New Zealand, not the US. It was funny at the time!

DOH! I just realized Hec is played by Sam Neill.
It wasn't the boy's quote, it was the police officer to the welfare lady after she said "you have the right to remain silent etc etc" Miranda rights.
And yes, funny funny moments throughout. The lead character was also in prison with Deadpool in a hilarious scene.
Check youtube for prison canteen scene. I wanted to post link here but the language is decidedly R and didn't want to run afoul of the mods.
peppers

Post by peppers »

The Highwaymen

Two former Texas Rangers are asked to pursue and apprehend the notorious criminal duo, Bonnie and Clyde. A gritty portrayal of life in the depression era of the 1930's. Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson portray the lawmen.

Viewed on Netflix
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Made you look on Netflix.

A fascinating documentary on a decades long con in the NY art world. You get to draw your own conclusions as to who the biggest grifters were - those who sold the fakes to the art dealers, or the art dealers who resold them for millions of dollars in profit. Reminded me of the similar decades long scam involving faked Vermeers.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Marauders” on Netflix. Enjoyed it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marauders_(2016_film)

Tony
houseofnine

Post by houseofnine »

“His Girl Friday” on Prime. Not sure how I managed a film degree but haven’t seen this. A classic.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

cs412a wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:40 pm Made you look on Netflix.

A fascinating documentary on a decades long con in the NY art world. You get to draw your own conclusions as to who the biggest grifters were - those who sold the fakes to the art dealers, or the art dealers who resold them for millions of dollars in profit. Reminded me of the similar decades long scam involving faked Vermeers.
Wow.

https://variety.com/2021/film/reviews/m ... 234913471/

"The great mystery, of course, is: Who could create fake paintings so flawless, and in so many different styles, that they deceived the world?" (from the Variety article cited just above).

SPOILER ALERT: If you want to see the documentary without knowing how it turned out, do not read the Variety article linked above.

Had not even heard of any of this!

We are upping it to the top of our list.

Not being modern art lovers, I'm going to look into the fake Vermeers. I would have thought that type of art would be more difficult to fake well, but maybe not.
(I think there is still at least one Vermeer missing from the Gardner Museum theft. That one was special, alas.)

About the fake Vermeers and a few other fake grand masters:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_van_Meegeren

Thanks!

Sidenote: DH's Grandmother was a artistic type, including opera singing and painting. Back in the day, painters could bring in their canvas and paints into the Metropolitan Museum (NYC), and camp out in front of a grand master painting of choice, and sit there to "copy it". We've got a few of hers, and she had them framed in styles similar to the originals (as they were at the time, anyway).
When she passed, someone thought they were real (in an extremely modest apartment!?), and many were stolen. The family was heartbroken.
My favorite looks "pretty good" until one looks online at a photo of the original :shock:
It's not even close...
(Still, we have that one hanging on a wall that cannot be seen from outside. From a distant, it would be much easier to be 'fooled'.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“American Sniper”. Always enjoy it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Sniper

Tony
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, on Amazon Prime.

This 1947 version stars Danny Kaye and Virginia Mayo. A bored proofreader of pulp fiction at a magazine publisher is henpecked at home by his mother, dimwitted fiance and mother-in-law. He daydreams of an adventurous life. Then he stumbles into a real-life adventure involving missing jewels, Nazi spies, and a glamorous woman.

Some people will not like Danny Kaye's zaniness, but this is still a fun old movie.

trailer
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

cs412a wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:40 pm Made you look on Netflix.

Oh my goodness. We just watched this. Absolutely fascinating.
And some of it is relatively recent.

Makes one wonder how much "else" like this is out there/going on...

Thanks very much for mentioning it.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.