What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bertilak

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bertilak »

Redemption (2013) starring Jason Statham. An Amazon Prime original production.

Of course Statham plays a tough guy. In this case a special forces guy who, while AWOL and on the run, meets a young and beautiful nun in London. It is a mostly platonic relationship. Besides Statham I was not familiar with any of the other actors.

And also of course there is plenty of action but, from one review: "Statham's stony visage tries to emote, often successfully. If this film marks a new direction for Statham's career, he's on the right track" I agree. This is better than other Statham films I have seen. I actually cared about the main characters as people, not just as fodder for action scenes.

There is a bit of humor thrown in here and there.
Last edited by bertilak on Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

PinotGris wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:17 pm The Father. Anthony Hokins truly at his best.. Olivia Coleman as the daughter was also excellent. A difficult film very well made.
Saw this last night and agree. I cried at the end, what a performance.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Judas and the Black Messiah (2020)
Free DVD from public library.
Intense story about the Illinois Black Panther leader in the late 60s.
Perfect counterpoint to the Trial of the Chicago 7 which I previously saw.
Daniel Kaluuya was superb and his Oscar is well deserved. :beer
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The Magnificent Seven. The real one, of course. I'd never seen it before. It's really good, perhaps falling just short of "great." Talk about an all-star cast, and they did what they did... magnificently. I was going crazy trying to figure out exactly what degree the movie embodied the racism of its time, and to what extent opposed it. The score by Elmer Bernstein is... magnificent. Like so many great film scores it doesn't quite stand alone when you hear it simply as music, e.g. in a pops concert, but as a film score it is sensational.

It was filmed in Mexico and after I saw it I read about it and found out that they were dealing constantly with Mexican officials insisting that the film treat the Mexicans in a dignified and respectful manner.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:39 am The Magnificent Seven. The real one, of course. Talk about an all-star cast, and they did what they did... magnificently.
Oh my, that cast. Yul Brynner is spectacular and the understated roles by McQueen, Coburn are amazing. But most of all, Wallach :beer
The new one can't hold its water.
What a scene!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcmzHtokiMw
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:39 am The Magnificent Seven. The real one, of course. I'd never seen it before. It's really good, perhaps falling just short of "great." Talk about an all-star cast, and they did what they did... magnificently. I was going crazy trying to figure out exactly what degree the movie embodied the racism of its time, and to what extent opposed it. The score by Elmer Bernstein is... magnificent. Like so many great film scores it doesn't quite stand alone when you hear it simply as music, e.g. in a pops concert, but as a film score it is sensational.

It was filmed in Mexico and after I saw it I read about it and found out that they were dealing constantly with Mexican officials insisting that the film treat the Mexicans in a dignified and respectful manner.
Wonderful movie. I remember watching it with my dad as a kid.

My dad did note that the scene where Eli Wallach says he will return the guns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4i_ZwMT3H0 didn't really make any sense, and mentioned that the movie was a remake of Kurasawa's Seven Samurai. Of course, Kurasawa was influenced by the American director John Ford, so it isn't surprising that a number of Kurasawa's films have been remade as westerns.
Last edited by cs412a on Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Munir

Post by Munir »

"The Father". Anthony Hopkins. Superb.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

cs412a wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:10 am
nisiprius wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:39 am The Magnificent Seven. The real one, of course. I'd never seen it before. It's really good, perhaps falling just short of "great." Talk about an all-star cast, and they did what they did... magnificently. I was going crazy trying to figure out exactly what degree the movie embodied the racism of its time, and to what extent opposed it. The score by Elmer Bernstein is... magnificent. Like so many great film scores it doesn't quite stand alone when you hear it simply as music, e.g. in a pops concert, but as a film score it is sensational.

My dad did note that the scene where Eli Wallach says he will return the guns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4i_ZwMT3H0 didn't really make any sense, and mentioned that the movie was a remake of Kurasawa's Seven Samurai. Of course, Kurasawa was influenced by the American director John Ford, so it isn't surprising that a number of Kurasawa's films have been remade as westerns.
I was going to say this too but I hesitated so as not to reveal any spoilers, but now that that’s done, the bandit leader played by Wallach didn’t just say he was going to do it, he actually did it, which was stupid and totally out of character for him and proved fatal. Couldn’t they have written the story some other way?

Other than that gaping plot hole it’s a great movie and the music is unbelievably good. If you enjoyed this movie you should see Kurosawa’s masterpiece which inspired this film, as was mentioned above. It’s 3-1/2 hours long but worth every minute.

Also The Three Amigos (1986) with Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short is a takeoff of this film and has some funny bits but is pretty juvenile. My kids loved it.
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:51 pm
cs412a wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:10 am

I was going to say this too but I hesitated so as not to reveal any spoilers, but now that that’s done, the bandit leader played by Wallach didn’t just say he was going to do it, he actually did it, which was stupid and totally out of character for him and proved fatal. Couldn’t they have written the story some other way?

Other than that gaping plot hole it’s a great movie and the music is unbelievably good. If you enjoyed this movie you should see Kurosawa’s masterpiece which inspired this film, as was mentioned above. It’s 3-1/2 hours long but worth every minute.

Also The Three Amigos (1986) with Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short is a takeoff of this film and has some funny bits but is pretty juvenile. My kids loved it.
Apologies. I should have changed the font color to avoid the spoiler.
Last edited by cs412a on Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Spoiler text colors are in Re: Please Try Out Test Posts Here and the following post.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

Currently watching Mare of Easttown. It's compelling, but only one episode left and I'm wondering if there's a major plothole in the series?
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:54 pm ^^^ Spoiler text colors are in Re: Please Try Out Test Posts Here and the following post.
Thanks. Fixed my posts.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

"The Whole Truth" (2016) on Netflix last weekend.

Keanu Reeves and Renee Zellweger in this "whodunit". Entertaining.

Ed
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bertilak wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:34 pm Redemption (2013) starring Jason Statham. An Amazon Prime original production.

Of course Statham plays a tough guy
I just remembered Parker, also 2013 and also starring Stratham (and Jennifer Lopez)., which I just remembered seeing. This is, I think, a more typical Statham movie. It is very well done, although there are liberties taken with the plot of the book it is based on (Flashfire).

It is based on a book by one of my favorite mystery writers, Donald E. Westlake who often wrote under the name Richard Stark for his series of Parker novels. This is one of the better dramatizations of a Stark book, most of which I think were mediocre attempts. Westlake also wrote many books under his real name featuring the character Dortmunder, a crook who has really bad luck but, because he works hard and is really clever, manages to stay barely ahead. These are "caper comedies" and I love them but the movie versions are not so good. The Parker books and movies are mostly serious "Crime Capers."
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

bertilak wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:32 pm
bertilak wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:34 pm Redemption (2013) starring Jason Statham. An Amazon Prime original production.

Of course Statham plays a tough guy
I just remembered Parker, also 2013 and also starring Stratham (and Jennifer Lopez)., which I just remembered seeing. This is, I think, a more typical Statham movie. It is very well done, although there are liberties taken with the plot of the book it is based on (Flashfire).

It is based on a book by one of my favorite mystery writers, Donald E. Westlake who often wrote under the name Richard Stark for his series of Parker novels. This is one of the better dramatizations of a Stark book, most of which I think were mediocre attempts. Westlake also wrote many books under his real name featuring the character Dortmunder, a crook who has really bad luck but, because he works hard and is really clever, manages to stay barely ahead. These are "caper comedies" and I love them but the movie versions are not so good. The Parker books and movies are mostly serious "Crime Capers."
Donald E. Westlake wrote the screenplays for what I consider to be two particularly fine movies: The Grifters (1990) and The Stepfather (1987).
SR II

Post by SR II »

"Cruella". Way too long.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

Gabelli2020 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:43 pm Some Kind of Heaven on Hulu
Depressing as hell. I have 2 friends at the Villages. It makes me want to rescue them
Not a feel good movie re: retirement
Ha! That movie certainly highlighted the weirdos in that village.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

SR II wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:02 pm "Cruella". Way too long.
Watched it last night, knew absolutely nothing about in advance, including it even being made. I loved it, really entertaining, long but didn’t drag at all.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

We are repeat watching the Mission Impossible series. So far I and II did not age well, II especially had some really cringy scenes/dialogue. Watched part III last night and it was like a totally new series, I actually enjoyed it. Noticed the director changed to JJ Abrams for III, good change!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Watched “Get Out” for the third time. There are so many levels to this movie. Love, horror, paranoia, racism. I’m sure people of different backgrounds interpret the same scene very differently.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Elsebet wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:57 am We are repeat watching the Mission Impossible series. So far I and II did not age well, II especially had some really cringy scenes/dialogue. Watched part III last night and it was like a totally new series, I actually enjoyed it. Noticed the director changed to JJ Abrams for III, good change!
The last three are the best.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:35 pm [This thread is intended for movies from any source, e.g. DVD, in-person, or streaming. If it has more than one episode, such as a TV show, post in [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Please mention how you saw the movie (DVD, in-person, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.). --admin LadyGeek]

[To keep this on topic, please include whether you would recommend it in your replies - admin alex]

Bogleheads,

Based on the success of the mega thread "What Book Are You Currently Reading?", I would like to start a new thread related to movies that Bogleheads could share with each other. Many of us have Netflix, Crackle, or another streaming service.

Best.
Just finished "binging" on the Trilogy, "Divergent". Though categorized as a "teen dystopian" type of film, there seems to be a lot of similarities in global and domestic trends of things today, . . . maybe.

Here's a description from online:
Storyline

Set in a futuristic dystopia where society is divided into five factions that each represent a different virtue, teenagers have to decide if they want to stay in their faction or switch to another - for the rest of their lives. Tris Prior makes a choice that surprises everyone. Then Tris and her fellow faction-members have to live through a highly competitive initiation process to live out the choice they have made. They must undergo extreme physical and intense psychological tests, that transform them all. But Tris has a secret that she is Divergent, which means she doesn't fit into any one group. If anyone knew, it would mean a certain death. As she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly peaceful society, this secret might help her save the people she loves... or it might destroy her.

Available Netflix/Amazon Prime. Something like $3 per with the lst one free I think. Can't remember.

Huge compliments for "abuss368" for starting this long running thread and so many other timeless ones. :D :D

Thanks "Tony".
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Roshômon (1950, Japan) Toshirô Mifune, Machiko Kyô, Takashi Shimura, directed by Akira Kurosawa.

Four witnesses to a violent crime, including the dead victim, each have different memories of what actually happened. Groundbreaking film by Akira Kurosawa. Winner of Best Foreign Language Film, 1951. Recommended. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel. Subtitled.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:36 am Roshômon (1950, Japan) Toshirô Mifune, Machiko Kyô, Takashi Shimura, directed by Akira Kurosawa.

Four witnesses to a violent crime, including the dead victim, each have different memories of what actually happened. Groundbreaking film by Akira Kurosawa. Winner of Best Foreign Language Film, 1951. Recommended. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel. Subtitled.
+1
Here's a link to the Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqoyl2p8_lw
The Kurosawa films are outstanding.
Japanese with Subtitles.
Grew up watching these.

Aloha
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
a

Post by a »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:36 am Roshômon (1950, Japan) Toshirô Mifune, Machiko Kyô, Takashi Shimura, directed by Akira Kurosawa.

Kurosawa's contribution to left brain/right brain dynamics. Closes with a philosophical treatment of the Great Question, how to deal with living in a "fallen" world, as Christians would say. A lot of cute touches about the human condition throughout, examples: the one character's reaction when faced with mortal threat, the horror realization that one may not be better than anyone else, the attitude of most youngsters when they find out life is not a fairy tale. An alternate title for this film might be "Things I've Learned About Human Existence In My 50 Years."

Having fairly recently watched Midsommar and Calibre, it occurs to me that "country people vs city people" are an archetype for right brain vs left brain, I guess it's a subject that weighs on the minds of numerous filmmakers.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

I just enjoyed "In the Heights" on HBO Max. Film of Lin-Manuel Miranda's Tony-winning musical.
mkc

Post by mkc »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:05 pm The Hunt for Red October on DVD, Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin, rated PG, 1990. A Soviet Union sub commander disobeys his orders. Lots of action and suspense. I liked it.
We watch this every time it comes across our Dish guide. It is one of our favorite movies. It was just on the other night.

"I would have liked to have seen Montana" starts the onions a-chopping every time for me.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Nobody
We were disappointed and while it was somewhat entertaining - it could have been much much better.
Having said that, we did not turn it off and watched it all.
They could have really made a good story....
Rate it right in the middle - mediocre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZti8QKBWPo
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:17 pm
Nicolas wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:20 pm El Acordeón del Diablo (The Devil’s Accordion) (2000)— Francisco “Pacho” Rada, Alfredo Gutierrez, Manuel Rada

This is a German documentary (in English narration) of the development and current state of the musical style of “vallenato” or Colombian accordion folk music. The story goes that the accordion was unknown in Colombia until a German ship bound for Argentina and loaded with accordions ran aground off the Caribbean coast. That’s how the instrument was introduced to Colombia. They had no one to teach them to play so they invented their own style. The Colombians tune the instrument to a higher pitch than is done elsewhere giving it a distinctive sound.

I like vallenato music as it’s upbeat, catchy, and has sincerity. This film presents a heartwarming story. It centers around “Pacho” Rada, a pioneer singer and composer of vallenato music, a legend in his time, who was in his nineties when the film was made.

It’s free to view on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/VqmzDDXJCRA
Looks interesting. I like listening to new types of music and am not familiar with vallenato music. In the Q. :beer
I watched this in several chunks. I liked it. Accordianism runs in my family so it was fun to see a different part of the world involving that. The video quality on Youtube was low but the cinematography (such colors!) and the real-life characters were wonderful. I would never have found this on my own.

If you don't read German, it's worth putting the words after the last scene into an online translator to read them.
black jack

Post by black jack »

runner26 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:17 pm I just enjoyed "In the Heights" on HBO Max. Film of Lin-Manuel Miranda's Tony-winning musical.
I also just saw this, with a friend who had seen the musical (I hadn't). It departs from the script of the musical in a number of ways, I was told, but we both greatly enjoyed it.

The music is wonderful, though after the past 15 months seeing dozens of people dancing together probably would be exhilarating even with the sound off.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Star Trek into Darkness on DVD, 2013, rated PG-13. The "new" crew with Chris Pine (Kirk) and Zachary Quinto (Spock). Quite a bit of action to keep you going. They made a few references to the older series for dramatic effect, but it didn't quite fit. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

We saw "A Quiet Place Part II" this weekend. Excellent movie. Highly recommended. The movie begins with Day 1 when they arrived, which was quite interesting. I actually liked it better than the first. If you want an edge of your seat thriller the entire time.... this is it.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Those Who Wish Me Dead on HBO Max - one of those Warner Bros. films that premiered in theaters and on HBO Max on the same day.

I liked seeing Angelina Jolie again, and the movie was OK if you are in the mood for an action thriller (with quite a lot of violence). I certainly wouldn't call it great. Today, June 13, is the last day to watch before this movie leaves the HBO Max platform.
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

My wife and and I just watched A Quiet Place. Pretty scary!! We liked it. :thumbsup :thumbsup from DW and me.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

sixtyforty wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:26 am We saw "A Quiet Place Part II" this weekend. Excellent movie. Highly recommended. The movie begins with Day 1 when they arrived, which was quite interesting. I actually liked it better than the first. If you want an edge of your seat thriller the entire time.... this is it.
Thanks for the review. I've been meaning to see this movie. I heard it was a great movie. But if I didn't see the original "A Quiet Place" will I still be able to follow the plot in Part II?

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

fsrph wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:34 pm
sixtyforty wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:26 am We saw "A Quiet Place Part II" this weekend. Excellent movie. Highly recommended. The movie begins with Day 1 when they arrived, which was quite interesting. I actually liked it better than the first. If you want an edge of your seat thriller the entire time.... this is it.
Thanks for the review. I've been meaning to see this movie. I heard it was a great movie. But if I didn't see the original "A Quiet Place" will I still be able to follow the plot in Part II?

Francis
I would seek out the original if I were you. It's one of the best movies of its genre. It's a better movie than Part II.

The sequel is very good, and I don't think you'll find yourself particularly lost, but the first one is quite the experience. And I think you will enjoy Part II more that way.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Mission of Honor on Netflix was very good. About the Polish fighters helping the RAF. The ending was (trying to be polite here) unpleasant although not a surprise to anyone that knows the history.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

The Conjuring: The Devil made me do it.
I was doing something else at the same time, but I got the impression it was kinda of an episode of Law & Order, except with Satan in it.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Francis
Yes, I think you would be able to follow the plot fine. It's just that there are references and details in part II, that will not mean anything to you without seeing the original. Both films are great.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

black jack wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:42 am
runner26 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:17 pm I just enjoyed "In the Heights" on HBO Max. Film of Lin-Manuel Miranda's Tony-winning musical.
I also just saw this, with a friend who had seen the musical (I hadn't). It departs from the script of the musical in a number of ways, I was told, but we both greatly enjoyed it.

The music is wonderful, though after the past 15 months seeing dozens of people dancing together probably would be exhilarating even with the sound off.
We watched last night on HBO Max. I also watched a few of the extras including the one on the dance numbers. Short but very cool. There were three podcasts of 30-40 minutes length, and we’re thinking of checking those out as well.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

sixtyforty wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:18 am

Francis
Yes, I think you would be able to follow the plot fine. It's just that there are references and details in part II, that will not mean anything to you without seeing the original. Both films are great.
Thanks. I plan to see it tomorrow. I'll report back.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

tenkuky wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:49 am
nisiprius wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:39 am The Magnificent Seven. The real one, of course. Talk about an all-star cast, and they did what they did... magnificently.
Oh my, that cast. Yul Brynner is spectacular and the understated roles by McQueen, Coburn are amazing. But most of all, Wallach :beer
The new one can't hold its water.
What a scene!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcmzHtokiMw
My favorite part is where Eli Wallach says:
“ I could kill you all right now. You agree? …. Well, you don’t disagree!”
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Cruella. It's inconsequential and silly and it goes on for too long but It kept me entertained.

Emma Stone and Emma Thompson are very good.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Meet Joe Black (1998)
Free DVD from public library
I can't believe I missed this one from 23 years ago.
The old lady from the Islands is superb and Brad Pitt does have some subtle mannerism changes that match up well.
I just love to hear Anthony Hopkins speak though (feel at any point he will want somebody's liver with fava beans! :twisted: )
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

tenkuky wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:41 am Meet Joe Black (1998)
The old lady from the Islands is superb and Brad Pitt does have some subtle mannerism changes that match up well.
I just love to hear Anthony Hopkins speak though (feel at any point he will want somebody's liver with fava beans! :twisted: )
It's likely you know this already, but this film is a remake of "Death Takes a Holiday."

Funny story: many years ago, my toddler daughter was often in the room when HBO first showed this movie after it left the theaters. She must have been captivated by Brad Pitt's appearance or his performance enough to point and say, another time the movie came on, "That's Joe!" She was younger than 2-1/2. With her, we occasionally still refer to Brad Pitt as "That's Joe!"
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Matahari wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:07 pm
tenkuky wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:41 am Meet Joe Black (1998)
It's likely you know this already, but this film is a remake of "Death Takes a Holiday."
I did not know that, thanks.
Will go see that now. :beer
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

Just saw this, too. Go to go to a real theater with no mask. Everything back to normal. That was the best part.

The movie was cute, but it was 20 minutes too long and the plot was thin. If you like lots of dancing and Latin music it's a diversion.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

While I was looking at trailers, "The Ghost Writer" (2010) popped up in the side bar as being "Free with Ads"** on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-16vKFCmylc

I hadn't seen the film since it came out and remembered enjoying this political thriller a great deal. It stars Ewan McGregor as the titular character. I ended up watching the whole thing again, and had forgotten enough about it so that it was great repeat watch.

It earned a 4-star review from the late, great Roger Ebert:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the- ... riter-2010

It was also a Critic's Pick by A.O. Scott of the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/19/movies/19ghost.html

Along with the other merits of the film, the palatial modernist house which serves as the set for most of the action is noteworthy. When the film came out, I recall searching online to find out what I could about it. I don't want to spoil anything about the house, but if you end up watching the film you should read this article afterwards:

http://www.home-designing.com/2012/02/t ... ovie-house

**My ad blocker effectively eliminated all the ads so the movie played straight through without interruption.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A discussion about your "Top 5 movies" has been moved back into a stand-alone thread. See: Favorite Movies - Name Five