What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ruralavalon

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon »

Appointment with Death, on YouTube.

In 1937 Syria, an abusive woman visiting a remote archeological site with her family is found dead. Poirot (David Suchet) must unravel decades of family secrets to solve the mystery. Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Amélie on DVD, 2001, rated R, French with subtitles. Random acts of kindness can make a difference. This romantic comedy (think "chick flick") was nominated for 5 Oscars and won a lot of awards. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:09 am Amélie on DVD, 2001, rated R, French with subtitles. Random acts of kindness can make a difference. This romantic comedy (think "chick flick") was nominated for 5 Oscars and won a lot of awards. I liked it.
I guess I’m an honorary “chick,” as I liked it a lot when it originally came out.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:18 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:09 am Amélie on DVD, 2001, rated R, French with subtitles. Random acts of kindness can make a difference. This romantic comedy (think "chick flick") was nominated for 5 Oscars and won a lot of awards. I liked it.
I guess I’m an honorary “chick,” as I liked it a lot when it originally came out.
Ditto. (Don't tell anyone.)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Perhaps I shouldn't have called it a "chick flick". Most movies with female leads of the "girl meets boy" type tend to be in that direction. It's also categorized as a romantic comedy. Light-hearted, but it's not a comedy in way you would expect.

Like "The sound of metal" is a story of a drummer losing his hearing, Amélie is a story of a woman in search for happiness. Both follow the main character from their perspective and the story unfolds as time moves on.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Seen a few Oscar nominees in the last couple of days.

Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)
Superb direction by Sorkin; makes a courtroom drama fast paced with cutaways/flashbacks/interspersed real footage.
Who knew Borat could act so well? :D

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Netflix)
Sadly this dragged but the performances from the late, great Chadwick Boseman and Viola Davis are amazing. :beer

Shaun the Sheep: Farmageddon (Netflix)
Just looooved this animated movie, much better than the original Shaun (which is saying something as I loved that too)
Clever nods to 2001, Close Encounters and Star Wars. :beer
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

Nomadland. Frances Mcdormend is excellent, as usual. Sure to win the Oscar. On Hulu with a trial subscription.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

I also liked her in "Priceless" or "Hors De Prix" (2006), if you are ok with subtitles.
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

CardinalRule wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:38 am
And did you know that the singer of "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" was the killer? :shock: :wink:
They told you that at the end of the song.
(But I always leave a tip.)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Key Largo (1948) Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, Lauren Bacall, Lionel Barrymore, Claire Trevor, Jay Silverheels. Directed by John Huston.

A mobster and his gang ride out a hurricane in a Florida Keys hotel, holding the proprietor, his daughter-in-law, and his dead son’s army buddy hostage.

Masterful performances by all and great fun! Claire Trevor won Best Supporting Actress.

Highly recommended, one of our favorite films, we’ve seen it many times. We viewed our own DVD copy.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:55 pm Key Largo (1948) Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, Lauren Bacall, Lionel Barrymore, Claire Trevor, Jay Silverheels. Directed by John Huston.

A mobster and his gang ride out a hurricane in a Florida Keys hotel, holding the proprietor, his daughter-in-law, and his dead son’s army buddy hostage.

Masterful performances by all and great fun! Claire Trevor won Best Supporting Actress.

Highly recommended, one of our favorite films, we’ve seen it many times. We viewed our own DVD copy.
The Petrified Forrest (1936) has, perhaps, a similar plot. A bunch of innocent people held hostage in a desert diner by bank robber Bogart.

Also stars Bette Davis and Leslie Howard (Ashly of Gone With the Wind). Both get top billing over Bogart.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Putin on Amazon. Enjoying it.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Sound of Metal - amazon (I think). Worth watching. Not entertaining per se, and not so much a plot, but engrosses you in the life of an artist who goes deaf, and helps you get a feel for the experience.

The vast of night - about a small town 50+ years ago that discovers an unidentified sound over the radio. Not a lot of action, mostly mood setting dialogue. Somewhat like an M night Shyamalan movie in that respect. Worth the watch, very suspenseful but you have to get through the first 15 minutes give or take of seemingly pointless rapid fire dialogue between the two protagonists walking around town. I almost turned it off during that portion.

Cosmos - British movie somewhat along the lines of the movie Contact. Most of it was slow paced but nonetheless interesting and suspenseful. Then the last half our or so they went all Hollywood and put in this ridiculous scene racing back to their base as time ran out, and there were some corny and sloppy interactions. I'm not sure if I can recommend it because that last stretch was so stupid.

Under the silver lake. An odd and quirky movie. It does kind of engross you in this guy's pursuit of a conspiracy about the disappearance of his neighbor, but it ends up seeming all kind of pointless. I've seen better and I've seen worse.

Coherence - an unexpectedly good movie. A low budget suspenseful Sci fi - not tons of action, lots of dialog, but strange things happen, in a quantum mechanics sort of way,when a comet comes close to earth.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

bertilak wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:40 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:55 pm Key Largo (1948) Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, Lauren Bacall, Lionel Barrymore, Claire Trevor, Jay Silverheels. Directed by John Huston.

The Petrified Forrest (1936) has, perhaps, a similar plot. A bunch of innocent people held hostage in a desert diner by bank robber Bogart.

Also stars Bette Davis and Leslie Howard (Ashly of Gone With the Wind). Both get top billing over Bogart.
Yes, I’ve seen that film. In this film, Humphrey Bogart's character is held hostage by a gang of criminals, whereas in The Petrified Forest (1936) and The Desperate Hours (1955), he plays the head of gangs of criminals holding others hostage. Of course at the time of The Petrified Forest (1936) Bogart wasn’t yet the top star that he became later.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
telemark

Post by telemark »

tenkuky wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:43 pm Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Netflix)
Sadly this dragged but the performances from the late, great Chadwick Boseman and Viola Davis are amazing. :beer
It's a bunch of people standing around in a room and talking too much. Which makes perfect sense for a stage play but doesn't work so well as a movie. This isn't something I would normally say, but perhaps the director was too respectful of the original material.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

JBTX wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:52 pm
Coherence - an unexpectedly good movie. A low budget suspenseful Sci fi - not tons of action, lots of dialog, but strange things happen, in a quantum mechanics sort of way,when a comet comes close to earth.
I agree, this was surprisingly good. One of the first movies in a long time that held my attention from start to finish.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

telemark wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:47 am
tenkuky wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:43 pm Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Netflix)
It's a bunch of people standing around in a room and talking too much. Which makes perfect sense for a stage play but doesn't work so well as a movie. This isn't something I would normally say, but perhaps the director was too respectful of the original material.
+1. I didn’t like it either, and the same for Mank.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Jeff Albertson wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:36 pm Werner Herzog's 'Happy People: A Year in the Taiga', on Amazon Prime.
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga is a 2010 documentary film directed by Werner Herzog and Dmitry Vasyukov and produced by Herzog.[2] The film depicts the life of the people in the village of Bakhta (62.464463°N 89.002168°E) at the confluence of the Yenisei and the Bakhta River, in the Siberian taiga. In particular, it focuses on the Russian trappers who hunt for fur animals, such as sable, depicting their cyclical, self-reliant life dealing with the subarctic climate and geographic isolation. It also briefly detours to a look at the life of native Ket people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Peo ... _the_Taiga
trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cijkIXXiSW4
An expanded (4 hour) version is on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbhPIK-oBvA
Thanks for mentioning Happy People, this led me to watch the movie again on Amazon Prime. The movie is unique and very interesting in my opinion, documenting a different way of life.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Howards End (1992) Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, Vanessa Redgrave, Helena Bonham Carter

A businessman thwarts his wife's bequest of an estate to another woman. An encounter of three social classes of England at the beginning of the twentieth century. A visual feast. Faithful to the novel by E. M. Forster.

An excellent film, winner of three Academy awards. Recommended. There was also a BBC mini-series filmed of this story and presented on Masterpiece Theater (PBS) here in the states in 2017 but it was not as good. We streamed it on Netflix.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:55 am
Jeff Albertson wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:36 pm Werner Herzog's 'Happy People: A Year in the Taiga', on Amazon Prime.
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga is a 2010 documentary film directed by Werner Herzog and Dmitry Vasyukov and produced by Herzog.[2] The film depicts the life of the people in the village of Bakhta (62.464463°N 89.002168°E) at the confluence of the Yenisei and the Bakhta River, in the Siberian taiga. In particular, it focuses on the Russian trappers who hunt for fur animals, such as sable, depicting their cyclical, self-reliant life dealing with the subarctic climate and geographic isolation. It also briefly detours to a look at the life of native Ket people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Peo ... _the_Taiga
trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cijkIXXiSW4
An expanded (4 hour) version is on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbhPIK-oBvA
Thanks for mentioning Happy People, this led me to watch the movie again on Amazon Prime. The movie is unique and very interesting in my opinion, documenting a different way of life.
You have to be very tough to be a trapper during the winter in Siberia, alone, dozens of miles from the nearest human. The dogs have to be even a lot more tougher. It's an amazing story.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The Karate Kid which is continuing as Cobra Kai!

Love it.

80s nostalgia.

Tony
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Stowaway - Netflix - Sci fi about a Mars trip. Not great but pretty good. Slow and thoughtful. No ridiculous action sequences

High Life - amazon - Sci about a prison ship heading towards a black hole. One of those critics liked and viewers didn't on rotten tomatoes. I'm kind of torn. It wasn't really entertaining per se, but it was kind of intriguing. Kind of arsty, really dark and dystopia.

Synchonic. I started it and bailed after 20-30 minutes. Terribly boring up to that point. Wasn't seeming to go anywhere. Perhaps it gets better?
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Dead Man's Folly, on YouTube.

At a summer garden party at a country mansion a murder mystery game returns real when a teenage girl is found dead, Poirot (David Suchet) must solve the mystery of that death, and also the mystery of the disappearance of the host's pretty young wife. Recommended.
Robert The Bruce

Post by Robert The Bruce »

I just watched Moneyball based on the book by Michael Lewis. It’s a great story how, in 2002, the General Manager of the Oakland As used statistical analysis to build a low budget baseball team. One interesting exchange between the GM and the team’s scouts involves how the scouts look at batting averages but the GM, Billy Beane, notes it is more important to consider how often a player gets on base.
BB: “He gets on base”.
Scout: “He gets walked a lot”
BB: “I don’t care”
Another good line is when he tells an aging star - the Yankees pay half your salary, they pay you $3.5 million to play against them.
The stingy man pays the most. - Ray Magliozzi
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

The Way Back

Do recommend.

Excerpt from Review, link https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the- ... eview-2020

"The Way Back" is about a ragtag basketball team at a Catholic high school, and a damaged alcoholic coach who finds a way to force them into being winners, into being better people, even.

Will not give Spoilers but the movie touches on much more than a Rocky type high school basketball story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzNJVSsjE-I&t=2s
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Robert The Bruce wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:25 pm I just watched Moneyball based on the book by Michael Lewis. It’s a great story how, in 2002, the General Manager of the Oakland As used statistical analysis to build a low budget baseball team. One interesting exchange between the GM and the team’s scouts involves how the scouts look at batting averages but the GM, Billy Beane, notes it is more important to consider how often a player gets on base.
BB: “He gets on base”.
Scout: “He gets walked a lot”
BB: “I don’t care”
Another good line is when he tells an aging star - the Yankees pay half your salary, they pay you $3.5 million to play against them.
A really good movie. That scene with all those scouts was gold. Apparently some of those guys were actual real baseball scouts.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Elephants Can Remember, on YouTube.

When a young man's mother tries to interfere with his wedding plans, Poirot (David Suchet) has three mysteries to solve, why the mother is interfering, what happened to the potential bride's parents 13 years ago, and who killed the director of a psychiatric nursing home just recently. Recommended.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Stargate on DVD, 1994, rated PG-13, James Spader, Kurt Russell. In this sci-fi action adventure, a college professor joins a military team on an exploration of alternative Egyptian history. I liked it.

If you like Raiders of the Lost Ark, watch this movie.

The DVD was old enough where the technology could only fit half the movie on one side. I had to flip it over half-way through.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Tenet, last night on HBO. Not recommended. It was difficult to follow and uninteresting to me.

Also tried Bad Trip with Eric Andre. I was lured by a review in the NYT that mentions "Why the tasteless humor of “Bad Trip,” starring Eric Andre, is a feat to be celebrated. Few can pull off transgression so skillfully." I'd add pointless to tasteless. Not recommended.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

heartwood wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 am Tenet, last night on HBO. Not recommended. It was difficult to follow and uninteresting to me.

Also tried Bad Trip with Eric Andre. I was lured by a review in the NYT that mentions "Why the tasteless humor of “Bad Trip,” starring Eric Andre, is a feat to be celebrated. Few can pull off transgression so skillfully." I'd add pointless to tasteless. Not recommended.
I'm very much looking forward to watching TENET tonight.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

patgrennan wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:12 pm unhinged;
Russell Crowe; road rage theory...
Russell has gotten quite large in this show; watching it gave great anxiety.....husband gave up left the room.
Very intense. Crowe was awesomely terrifying!
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Harry Brown (2009) Staring Michael Caine.

So-so movie but Michel Caine delivers and makes it worth watching.

Emily Mortimer gets second billing. She had a part in the very first Midsomer Murders, The Killings at Badger's Drift.

Features David Bradley who is also really good and was the title character in a Midsomer Murders episode, The Green Man. He's been in a ton of things so you have probably seen him. He looks like Willie Nelson.

Here's David Bradley ...
and here's Willie Nelson ...
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
av111

Post by av111 »

KSOC wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 am
Russell has gotten quite large in this show; watching it gave great anxiety.....husband gave up left the room.
I found unhinged unnecessarily violent.. And I watch Sons of Anarchy.. Go figure
AV111
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

"News of the World". Tom Hanks latest. I thought it was a very good movie. It was a unique story, kept you very involved, and was well casted. Definitely recommended.
All the Best, | Joe
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Lady Vanishes, on Amazon Prime.

This was the 2013 version. While traveling by train, a young socialite is befriended by a charming yet enigmatic older woman. However, when the woman disappears, the other passengers deny she ever existed. Recommended.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I watched it around 2003 . Very good, pretty movie. I should watch again.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

GeoStorm on Hulu.

Not bad.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geostorm

Tony
chazas

Post by chazas »

Life, on 4K blu ray. Great effects, good Atmos soundtrack. Ryan Reynolds' part was surprisingly small, Jake Gyllenhaal was forgettable. Script was abysmal.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

chazas wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:22 pm Life, on 4K blu ray. Great effects, good Atmos soundtrack. Ryan Reynolds' part was surprisingly small, Jake Gyllenhaal was forgettable. Script was abysmal.
This review belongs in the Hall of Fame for “start with the good points and then mention what’s wrong with it.” I like Atmos as much as the next person, but perhaps I won’t add this to my queue.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

New Providence wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:37 am
heartwood wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 am Tenet, last night on HBO. Not recommended. It was difficult to follow and uninteresting to me.

Not as good ad Inception but a very good and ambitious movie. I had to immediately watch it twice to try to decipher it. There are some you. Tube bits that explain the myriad of timelines.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

heartwood wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:34 am Also tried Bad Trip with Eric Andre. I was lured by a review in the NYT that mentions "Why the tasteless humor of “Bad Trip,” starring Eric Andre, is a feat to be celebrated. Few can pull off transgression so skillfully." I'd add pointless to tasteless. Not recommended.
I watched this and while it starts off strong and funny it kind of fizzles near the end. Overall I thought it was pretty different and creative to make a movie full of pranks as part of the story, so I enjoyed it from that perspective. It's definitely not for everyone. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Kong vs. Godzilla

Wasn't too bad. Kong: Skull Island is still the best of the "Mosterverse Bunch", but this one takes a solid second place.

1. Kong Skull Island - lots of fun, full light monsters, enjoyable humans
2. Kong vs. Godzilla - well lit monsters, lots of ridiculous exposition, human were typical bad
3. Godzilla - really cool return, fun fights, ok humans, some semi-legit tension
4. Godzilla: King of Monsters - bad lighting, a couple very cool monster visuals, but experience we ruined by very poor lighting

Overall, hated to see the Monsterverse end, but this was a fun little trip down memory lane. Wish they could have done a little better job, but some decent highs with not too many lows.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

bengal22 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 pm
Not as good ad Inception but a very good and ambitious movie. I had to immediately watch it twice to try to decipher it. There are some you. Tube bits that explain the myriad of timelines.
Watched Tenet Sunday night. Enjoyed it, maybe because expectations were low & I focused hard since I heard of the confusing nature of the movie.

Wasn’t better than inception but probably due to execution. As Inception’s premise was a more simple and easier to follow idea than ‘inverted time’.

Overall, I like the ambition of the story but it was not executed well enough to be blockbuster material. And the writing left the actors with not a lot to work with. Major props for the attempt though. Enhancing on the sci-fi / time travel / James Bond genre is a hard nut to crack! I’m here for all serious attempts, though!
ScoobyDoo!
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

sureshoe wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:14 pm Kong vs. Godzilla

Wasn't too bad. Kong: Skull Island is still the best of the "Mosterverse Bunch", but this one takes a solid second place.

1. Kong Skull Island - lots of fun, full light monsters, enjoyable humans
2. Kong vs. Godzilla - well lit monsters, lots of ridiculous exposition, human were typical bad
3. Godzilla - really cool return, fun fights, ok humans, some semi-legit tension
4. Godzilla: King of Monsters - bad lighting, a couple very cool monster visuals, but experience we ruined by very poor lighting

Overall, hated to see the Monsterverse end, but this was a fun little trip down memory lane. Wish they could have done a little better job, but some decent highs with not too many lows.
Love your review and totally agree with sadness at that monsterverse ending (for now). Loved the storylines just thought the writing and character development for some of the Japanese (????) actors were meh! Would love to see more thought put into the Japanese characters as it’s such a crucial piece of the lore!

I enjoyed all of them! Sorry, Im a sucker for Godzilla and King Kong movies! shrug. Want to see more of them taking themselves even more seriously to tell the story. But then I guess it wouldn’t be a family show but an R rated Thriller or some Dark suspense! But I would loooooove that
ScoobyDoo!
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

av111 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:24 am
KSOC wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 am
I found unhinged unnecessarily violent.. And I watch Sons of Anarchy.. Go figure
Unnecessarily violent? Maybe. But it made it’s point loud and clear!!!!!!!!😐😑
ScoobyDoo!
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:55 am Stargate on DVD, 1994, rated PG-13, James Spader, Kurt Russell. In this sci-fi action adventure, a college professor joins a military team on an exploration of alternative Egyptian history. I liked it.

If you like Raiders of the Lost Ark, watch this movie.

The DVD was old enough where the technology could only fit half the movie on one side. I had to flip it over half-way through.
And if you like the movie definitely watch the Stargate series, started out on SciFi channel with Harry Dean Anderson after his decade long ride as MacGyver. After 3 years moved to HBO or Showtime, forget which. Great premise, loved rewatching the series to see how the actors grew into their characters roles and the storytelling became more and more complex...until ofcourse they began to tell the same stories over again. But hey, that’s what happens when u have a long running series!!!! Worth the watch if scifi is your kinda thing.
ScoobyDoo!
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:40 pm
chazas wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:22 pm Life, on 4K blu ray. Great effects, good Atmos soundtrack. Ryan Reynolds' part was surprisingly small, Jake Gyllenhaal was forgettable. Script was abysmal.
This review belongs in the Hall of Fame for “start with the good points and then mention what’s wrong with it.” I like Atmos as much as the next person, but perhaps I won’t add this to my queue.
This review is about his personal sound system. The disk player and speakers are awesome! the movie sucks!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

New Providence wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:56 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:40 pm
This review is about his personal sound system. The disk player and speakers are awesome! the movie sucks!
Oh yeah, I forgot. In my youth, I was an audiophile and videophile. :beer
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:28 pm
bengal22 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 pm
Watched Tenet Sunday night. Enjoyed it, maybe because expectations were low & I focused hard since I heard of the confusing nature of the movie.

Wasn’t better than inception but probably due to execution. As Inception’s premise was a more simple and easier to follow idea than ‘inverted time’.

Overall, I like the ambition of the story but it was not executed well enough to be blockbuster material. And the writing left the actors with not a lot to work with. Major props for the attempt though. Enhancing on the sci-fi / time travel / James Bond genre is a hard nut to crack! I’m here for all serious attempts, though!
https://youtu.be/x6Kbphnil7s

one explanation of the time lines.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:34 pm Love your review and totally agree with sadness at that monsterverse ending (for now). Loved the storylines just thought the writing and character development for some of the Japanese (????) actors were meh! Would love to see more thought put into the Japanese characters as it’s such a crucial piece of the lore!

I enjoyed all of them! Sorry, Im a sucker for Godzilla and King Kong movies! shrug. Want to see more of them taking themselves even more seriously to tell the story. But then I guess it wouldn’t be a family show but an R rated Thriller or some Dark suspense! But I would loooooove that
Agree 1000%. Honestly, I was a bit surprised how reasonably consistent the logic and lore of the universe was. I mean, they're movies about giants monsters coming from a Hollow Earth... but they vaguely maintained some sense of internal logic.