What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tenkuky

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tenkuky »

Boy (2012)
Free from public library.
Another Taika Waititi (Jojo Rabbit, Hunt for the Wilderpeople) movie.
So funny and poignant, authentically set and told in New Zealand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP05fUP9xAo
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Trying to enlighten our 11 YO granddaughter with the classic comedies from the 80"s and 90's. Rented "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" on Prime last night. A few too many F bombs, but an enjoyable effort by 2 comedians in their prime. She enjoyed it and we enjoyed watching her enjoy it. We are going to wait a couple years on Animal House, assuming it hasn't been fully cancelled by then. :oops:
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Captain Fantastic, on Netflix. Very "interesting" movie, until the end, when it becomes formulaic and disappointing.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Blue Skies (1946)

Easygoing postwar movie with the phenomenal dancing of
Fred Astaire and great voice of Bing Crosby. A fun, anxiety-free
movie, simple plot, and great Irving Berlin songs.
Viewed on DVD
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Waking Ned Devine, on Amazon Prime.

We re-watched this for St. Patrick's day. In a small Irish coastal village a man dies in shock when he wins the lottery. The rest of the village schemes to collect on his winning ticket. I recommend this movie.

trailer
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Watched Shutter Island this evening on Netflix. I find it hard to engage in many movies that replicate historical periods, however this one did a good job keeping thing interesting.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
FIREyourself

Post by FIREyourself »

"A Sun" on Netflix - 5/5

It's about a Chinese family's loss of a son and effort to hold onto another.

Starts out slow but pulls together beautifully. Well worth it!
1/3 VTI | 1/3 VXUS | 1/3 BND
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Monster Hunter with Mila Jovovich

Do not recommend. 2.75 / 10 :annoyed
sedonashine

Post by sedonashine »

Biggest Little Farm on Hulu....just beautiful~highly recommend
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Watched Minari, available on a number of platforms for $$. Won Golden Globes for best foreign film, but actually made in the USA. Has Oscar nomination.

Interesting drama about work ethic, family dynamics, and pursuit of the American dream. Mostly in Korean, with subtitles.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Wiener Dog Internationals

Don't let the title fool you - this movie is awful. Too much Wienerschnitzel hot dog chain product placement. At no time during the film are the dogs referred to as dachshunds. Not enough wiener dogs!

Four good things about this film: 1) It stars Morgan Fairchild as the prime villain. 2) It's kind of funny that in a movie about dachshunds, a lot of hot dogs are consumed. 3) The character of the father is well-written. Most films with kid heroes, including this one, generally portray adults as stupid hostile ogres. However, the father in this one is strict but compassionate and loving toward his children. 4) The dogs do not talk and there is no CGI animation. In fact, the dogs don't even do any tricks per se. I suspect they were all well-treated during the filming. There is also a rabbit and a pig.

Ever since watching the movie Cats, I have felt a need to watch a dog movie. But this one did not scratch my itch. I'm going to have to watch another one.
William4589

Post by William4589 »

Wild Mountain Thyme (2020)

Actors: Emily Blunt, Christopher Walken, Jamie Dorman and Jon Hamm

It has a great cast and the filming in Ireland was incredible. I would give the cinematography an A+. However, their Irish accents are not very good and the chemistry was lacking between the actors. I also thought there were issues with the storyline. Really disappointed in this film.

2/10
"The trouble is, you think you have time." - Jack Kornfield
telemark

Post by telemark »

Let the Bullets Fly (2010)

Another 1920s China adventure, this time with Chow Yun-fat and the always watchable Carina Lau. I was going to call this a spaghetti western*, but despite the title it's maybe a bit too heavy on plot and light on action to qualify. Lots of plotting and scheming with everyone lying to everyone else. Rented on Amazon video.

* and since pasta arrived in Italy from China I would feel perfectly justified in doing so.
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

The Agony and the Ecstasy.

Michaelangelo wants to be a sculptor, where he believes his talent really lies, and to be left alone.

But he is hoodwinked, cajoled and domineered by Pope Julius II into painting a fresco on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Fine insights into the nature of the historical figures involved, and the period.

Charlton Heston, Rex Harrison. 1965

I like pretty much anything that relates to The Renaissance. The acting in this movie is a little stilted, but beyond that it was quite enjoyable.
Shalom Aleichem

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

At the recommendation of some poster here ... Love and Monsters. Very cute. Recommended. Light romantic comedy with a splash of science fiction. Totally predictable but fun to watch. I am a movie snob as is my brother and we both enjoyed it.

Just watched "Happily." Meh. Probably not worth seeing.

Previously saw Vivarium. Very creepy and disturbing. I saw it a while back and it still stick with me.

Frozen. Not the disney one. The one about the skiers. If you like watching horrifying terrifying movies this is the one. I haven't made it to the end and had to avert my eyes several times.

Background - I love movies but only really good well made movies. His Girl Friday (Cary Grant), To Catch A Thief, Brigadoon, The Magnificent Seven (and so obviously the Seven Samurai), every Clint Eastwood Western, Arsenic and Old Lace are all favorites. Most Kurosawa movies, most Alec Guinness movies. Nearly everything modern is junk. Just wanted to give background so you can decide if your movie taste is similar. I remember seeing The Nutty Professor as a kid and thinking Jerry Lewis was the coolest and Stella Stevens a knockout. I recently saw it again. Wow Jerry Lewis was a real jerk! It's interesting how mores and values change over time. But at the time he was perceived as the coolest cat in town.
Shalom Aleichem

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

Big and Splash are classics.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Thirteenth Floor on DVD, rated R, 1999. A sci-fi murder mystery where a computer scientist simulates going back in time. Meh.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Beverly Hills Cop on HBO.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Nomadland, a nice counterpoint to the reading here.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

Two recommendations:

1. 19-2 - Cop series (Montreal based), well done.
2. Balthazar - Forsenic Pathologist (French w/subtitles)
working with police solving crimes.

Both series are quite good, engaging. On Acorn, or DVD from local library.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

FOGU wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:34 am The Agony and the Ecstasy.

Michaelangelo wants to be a sculptor, where he believes his talent really lies, and to be left alone.

But he is hoodwinked, cajoled and domineered by Pope Julius II into painting a fresco on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Fine insights into the nature of the historical figures involved, and the period.

Charlton Heston, Rex Harrison. 1965

I like pretty much anything that relates to The Renaissance. The acting in this movie is a little stilted, but beyond that it was quite enjoyable.
The opening first few minutes are also a bonus- a helicopter ride over Rome in 1965 filmed in whatever was the top photographic techniques of the time.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Ford v Ferrari

I like cars and racing but am not a fanatic, so I would probably have skipped this one. But it was recommended several times in this topic, so I took the time to watch it.

It is an excellent movie and I learned some things and it was well worth watching. Thank you.
BigW

Post by BigW »

From the RedBox, watched 'News of the World' with Tom Hanks. Very enjoyable. Other recent rentals: 'Crisis' with 3 concurrent stories relating to the opioid situation - not great, but not bad either. And 'Unhinged' with a crazy Russel Crowe (who seems to have put on quite a bit of weight) about a case of road rage gone wild - also not great, but sure keeps you on edge!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Murder With Mirrors, on Amazon Prime.

This 2010 version stars Helen Hayes, Bette Davis and John Mills. The family home of an old friend has been turned into a refuge for young delinquents. The entire family seems dysfunctional. Miss Marple arrives to prevent the poisoning of her old friend, and uncovers a different plot at this country mansion.

I recommend this movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

FIREyourself wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:19 am "Captain Fantastic" on Netflix - 5/5

Viggo Mortensen and his survivalist family must choose between their eccentric lifestyle and meeting society's expectations. Great movie I passed over many times!
I love this movie and bought a copy after renting it.

Just watched "I care a lot" on Netflix. This one is kind of scary to me personally since while I'm married, we don't have children and statistically I may be living alone in old age.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Shalom Aleichem wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:26 am At the recommendation of some poster here ... Love and Monsters. Very cute. Recommended. Light romantic comedy with a splash of science fiction. Totally predictable but fun to watch. I am a movie snob as is my brother and we both enjoyed it.

Previously saw Vivarium. Very creepy and disturbing. I saw it a while back and it still stick with me.
Watched Vivarium the other night based on your comments. It’s been picked by the algorithms for me and subject matter , that is weird, is my type!

It was VERY disturbing. Started slow, then my mouth was left gaping through most of the middle of the movie in between laughing at the absurdity but the tone quickly moved to disturbing.

It’s the type of movie you google reviews at the end to get impressions and metaphorical meanings others read into it! I guess that’s my type of movie....sticks with you but I’d say it’s more like a longer twilight zone episode. Not sure it needed that much time...but boy, it creeped me out!
ScoobyDoo!
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Honest Thief. Typical Liam Neeson (has a particular set of skills) movie lol.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Mank, followed by Citizen Kane. Been 40+ years since I last saw CK. A truly spectacular film.

Mank is on Netflix and CK is on HBOMax.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:14 pm Waking Ned Devine, on Amazon Prime.

We re-watched this for St. Patrick's day. In a small Irish coastal village a man dies in shock when he wins the lottery. The rest of the village schemes to collect on his winning ticket. I recommend this movie.

trailer
This is a great movie. I second this recommendation.
Wiki
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

tooluser wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:05 pm The Conqueror

Recorded from TCM. It portrays the rise of Genghis Khan. This movie has been regularly listed as one of the worst movies ever made. It stars John Wayne and several other big names.

What's really remarkable about it, is that it would probably just be a forgotten high-end mediocre movie, except that John Wayne pretty much single-handedly ruins it with his wooden dialogue. The other actors pull off the fancy language reasonably well.

There's a pretty good dance number in the middle. Not really recommended though.
John Wayne was seriously miscast, but the movies other claim to infamy was that it was filmed near the Nevada unclear test site. Out of 240 of the production crew 90 developed cancer, including stars John Wayne, Susan Hayward and Pedro Armendariz. Nothing proven, but seemingly tragic.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

WhyNotUs wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:40 pm Nomadland, a nice counterpoint to the reading here.
Watched last night on Hulu. I didn't think I'd like it, but I actually did. As you mention, puts BH world problems in perspective. A movie you soak in.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Survive the night” with Bruce Willis on Amazon.

Was ok.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survive_the_Night
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
av111

Post by av111 »

Enjoying Sons of Anarchy on Hulu.. Lot of episodes so lot to watch
AV111
AquaBliss

Post by AquaBliss »

Watched “The Dig” on Netflix based on a recommendation earlier in this thread. My gosh the movie is boring, nearly fell asleep twice. At times i thought it was getting better but no, remained boring.

I’ve never seen a movie with such a compelling trailer and a dry story line. Give that trailer editor a raise for sure.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JBTX wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:02 pm
WhyNotUs wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:40 pm Nomadland, a nice counterpoint to the reading here.
Watched last night on Hulu. I didn't think I'd like it, but I actually did. As you mention, puts BH world problems in perspective. A movie you soak in.
Wife was out with her friends so I watched it too. Essentially everything Frances McDormand is in is great, but it is was kinda boring. It was OK.
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

tooluser wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:40 pm Wiener Dog Internationals

Don't let the title fool you - this movie is awful. Too much Wienerschnitzel hot dog chain product placement. At no time during the film are the dogs referred to as dachshunds. Not enough wiener dogs!

Four good things about this film: 1) It stars Morgan Fairchild as the prime villain. 2) It's kind of funny that in a movie about dachshunds, a lot of hot dogs are consumed. 3) The character of the father is well-written. Most films with kid heroes, including this one, generally portray adults as stupid hostile ogres. However, the father in this one is strict but compassionate and loving toward his children. 4) The dogs do not talk and there is no CGI animation. In fact, the dogs don't even do any tricks per se. I suspect they were all well-treated during the filming. There is also a rabbit and a pig.

Ever since watching the movie Cats, I have felt a need to watch a dog movie. But this one did not scratch my itch. I'm going to have to watch another one.
Try Best in Show. One of the funniest movies ever starring Eugene Levy, Fred Willard, and Catherine O’Hara. God Loves a Terrier.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

Cruise wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:39 am Watched Minari, available on a number of platforms for $$. Won Golden Globes for best foreign film, but actually made in the USA. Has Oscar nomination.

Interesting drama about work ethic, family dynamics, and pursuit of the American dream. Mostly in Korean, with subtitles.
We watched this one last night. It's $20 even with Amazon Prime. I'm glad we didn't pay any more than that for it. Perhaps it was my mood, but I thought it was sooooo depressing and I didn't really get it.

My husband doesn't care for movies with subtitles so he paid very little attention to it, but couldn't believe I watched the whole thing. I still didn't get my $20 worth. I've seen way better foreign films.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Just saw Tom Hanks in "News of the World." Great picture. I streamed it on Apple TV, but it is available elsewhere. Very entertaining.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:58 pm
Shalom Aleichem wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:26 am At the recommendation of some poster here ... Love and Monsters. Very cute. Recommended. Light romantic comedy with a splash of science fiction. Totally predictable but fun to watch. I am a movie snob as is my brother and we both enjoyed it.

Watched Vivarium the other night based on your comments. It’s been picked by the algorithms for me and subject matter , that is weird, is my type!

It was VERY disturbing. Started slow, then my mouth was left gaping through most of the middle of the movie in between laughing at the absurdity but the tone quickly moved to disturbing.

It’s the type of movie you google reviews at the end to get impressions and metaphorical meanings others read into it! I guess that’s my type of movie....sticks with you but I’d say it’s more like a longer twilight zone episode. Not sure it needed that much time...but boy, it creeped me out!
While I personally hated Vivarium, if you like movies where you need to google reviews for impressions, try Black Bear with Aubrey Plaza. Quite the wild ride (and way better than Vivarium IMO)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Akira on DVD, rated R, 1988, anime. A biker gang member turns evil. "Anime" does not mean Toy Story. Set in a dystopian future, this film is violent and graphic to the point of mind-bending psychotic. Akira is an influential film and was unique for its time.

If you are uncomfortable watching violent movies, then stay away. Otherwise, expect something like "Alice in Wonderland" on steroids in a very bad way.

It's an interesting change of pace, but not for everyone.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Cruise wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:51 pm Just saw Tom Hanks in "News of the World." Great picture. I streamed it on Apple TV, but it is available elsewhere. Very entertaining.
We watched News of the World on Amazon Prime. Thanks for the recommendation.

Nice movie starring Tom Hanks, with an unusual plot about a news reader in 1870 North Texas encountering a young girl who had been kidnapped years before by the Kiowa, and was adopted into the tribe. The movie is about their journey to return her to her original family.

I recommend this movie.

trailer
William4589

Post by William4589 »

gamboolman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:56 pm Monster Hunter with Mila Jovovich

Do not recommend. 2.75 / 10 :annoyed
I just watched it on Amazon Prime. Your 2.75 is too generous.
"The trouble is, you think you have time." - Jack Kornfield
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Continuing our Pandemic Binge, watched "The White Tiger" last night on Netflix. Interesting plot that mostly held our attention (a bit too long), with a surprise ending that was a bit weird as well. Nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Another recommendation for "The Queens Gambit" on Netflix

I think it was 7 episodes.

ms gamboolgal and I really enjoyed it.

Do recommend.

I usually only let us watch one episode per day....ha....ms gamboolgal is a Marathon Binge Watcher of series - ha.... she'd been known to watch them after I fall asleep ha !

We did watch the final 2 episodes in one night as we had to travel for a few days and she was not a happy camper about having to wait....all fun stuff !
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Please discuss TV series here: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Soul (Disney-Pixar)
Free from library DVD.
Got quite draggy at times, with entertaining moments. Quite philosophical as well.
I wanted to like it more than I did.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

"The Father," streaming for $$ on a number of platforms. Anthony Hopkins plays a an Alzheimer's patient. The movie is shot with an interesting perspective, that of the patient. I liked the movie more than I thought I would, but did not like the ending. But, there is no good ending with Alzheimer's Disease.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

AquaBliss wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:42 am Watched “The Dig” on Netflix based on a recommendation earlier in this thread. My gosh the movie is boring, nearly fell asleep twice. At times i thought it was getting better but no, remained boring.

I’ve never seen a movie with such a compelling trailer and a dry story line. Give that trailer editor a raise for sure.
Maybe you're not into history or archeology. My wife and I though it was fascinating and made a mental note to visit Sutton Hoo the next time we're in the UK.
alexander29

Post by alexander29 »

"Philomena" on Netflix. Script is both heartbreaking and funny, and Judi Dench and Steve Coogan are superb.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The President” on Amazon. President Putin that is.

Interesting.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."