What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
HomerJ

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by HomerJ »

JoJo Rabbit.

I can't recommend this movie enough. Probably one of my favorites now.

I don't know how it's possible to make a funny, yet sad, yet heart-warming, yet cringe-worthy movie about Nazis. All at the same time. Love the kid in it.

[Movie dialog removed by admin LadyGeek]

If you think the above is funny and makes you cringe at the same time, then you might like this movie.

The kid also has conversations with a ridiculous imaginary friend Adolf Hitler (the director plays this part) that still somehow works.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Please be sensitive to our readers. I removed the movie dialog because it can be offensive to a certain religion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

HomerJ wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:40 am JoJo Rabbit.

I don't know how it's possible to make a funny, yet sad, yet heart-warming, yet cringe-worthy movie about Nazis. All at the same time. Love the kid in it.

If you think the above is funny and makes you cringe at the same time, then you might like this movie.

The kid also has conversations with a ridiculous imaginary friend Adolf Hitler (the director plays this part) that still somehow works.
If you like director Taika Waititi's style, highly recommend his Boy and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.
He is a Kiwi treasure!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Read Window, on Amazon Prime.

North by Northwest, on Amazon Prime.

Both are excellent 1950s mystery/thrillers directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Jimmy Stewart stars along with Grace Kelly in the former, and Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint star in the latter. Our visiting grandson wanted to see Alfred Hitchcock movies, so we enjoyed them again.

Both are recommended.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Suicide Squad on HBO Max. I wanted to go see this in the theater but my husband had doubts. I am glad we streamed it because I lost interest in it after about 30 minutes. I half-watched it to the finish while reading a Mediterranean Cookbook. I'm puzzled at the high critic reviews on RottenTomatoes, although the user reviews are lower.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Ghost Town a delightful romantic comedy, with some interesting observations on the human condition. Rick Gervaise plays a misanthrope living in New York City that develops the ability to see the dead. Hilarity ensues. It is peppered with very good actors, and this was a nice counterpoint to the suspenseful drama and British detective stories that I normally watch
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

tenkuky wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:19 am
HomerJ wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:40 am JoJo Rabbit.

If you like director Taika Waititi's style, highly recommend his Boy and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.
He is a Kiwi treasure!
I recommend What We Do In The Shadows (2014). This is the the original movie, not the television show.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:06 am Please be sensitive to our readers. I removed the movie dialog because it can be offensive to a certain religion.
Well now people are going to wonder what I posted... :)

I respect your decision, but I don't think it was offensive because of how outlandish it was.. which was the point. And the response from the aggrieved party was spot on dead-pan hilarious. If you liked that exchange you would like that movie.

But yes, if you were offended by that exchange then you would hate the movie. And, you're right, it's not polite to post a possibly offensive movie conversation in general chat.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Speaking of Taika Waititi, I just saw Free Guy last night with Ryan Reynolds and Waititi plays the bad guy in the film. He's hilarious.

Very funny movie. I enjoyed it very much.

NPC character in a video game (with some embedded new AI code) becomes self-aware (but not aware he's living inside a video game).
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:50 am Read Window, on Amazon Prime.

Both are excellent 1950s mystery/thrillers directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Cary Grant stars in both, along with Grace Kelly in the former and Eva Marie Saint in the latter. Our visiting grandson wanted to see Alfred Hitchcock movies, so we enjoyed them again.

Both are recommended.
You are treating your grandson to some excellent entertainment. I hope he can appreciate the quality of those movies.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

The Burning Plain with Charlize Theron and Kim Basinger, on the AMC channel.

A deeply dramatic and multi-layered film about the challenges of relationships, but it's not a movie about relationships, if that makes sense...it's character driven and kept my attention, which is not easy lol. Some pretty captivating scenery as well....

Was just feeling a bit nostalgic this afternoon, recalling a time when new releases with broad appeal were an every Friday thing....and going to the theatre on the weekend was an event.

Ah....life goes on.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Elsebet wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:19 pm "Tenet" - on blu ray but you can stream it on Hulu. Time travel movies rarely leave me satisfied and this one continued that trend. Hard to follow and confusing to me, but decent acting and looked/sounded great. I had to google the movie afterward not to find out more about it because it was interesting, but to figure out what it was I just watched.
+1
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Kitty Telltales wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:39 am I'm a seasonal movie fan...

During the hottest days of summer I've got to see The Seven Year Itch. All Marilyn Monroe can think about is how to cool down and love when she almost kills her downstairs neighbor by accidentally dropping a tomato plant on his head, but misses.

When the peonies bloom in our garden, as they are now--My Fair Lady. We watched it over the last two evenings and this morning we woke up singing "I'm Getting Married in the Morning"

In late summer, early autumn, On Golden Pond

Then there is Steel Magnolias--Last summer I had an outdoor film evening on our terrace with some dear girlfriends.
If you want a nice sappy winter into spring movie, try “Enchanted April”.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:12 pm
Thank you Dottie57!! This film looks wonderful!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Kitty Telltales wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:15 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:12 pm
Thank you Dottie57!! This film looks wonderful!
I used to watch it every April, but the VHS tape broke. I looked for it on Dvd for many years. I finally found that someone had restored the color - and found it on on Apple iTunes. It may be available elsewhere (Prime).

I think I will watch it tonight.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

"Kings Point," an Oscar-nominated short about life in a real-life retirement community in Florida. Available on Kanopy.

A fine film, but it unfortunately just focused on the dark side of life there, ignoring the sometime-decades of good life that residents had. Ask me why I know--my parents lived there.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

jginseattle wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:10 pm

Both are excellent 1950s mystery/thrillers directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Cary Grant stars in both, along with Grace Kelly in the former and Eva Marie Saint in the latter. Our visiting grandson wanted to see Alfred Hitchcock movies, so we enjoyed them again.

Both are recommended.
You are treating your grandson to some excellent entertainment. I hope he can appreciate the quality of those movies.
Continuing now with To Catch a Thief, on Amazon Prime.

This is another 1950s mystery directed by Alfred Hitchcock, starring Cary Grant and Grace Kelly, set on the French Riviera. Grant is a retired jewel thief, accused of restarting his career.

Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

htdrag11 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:47 pm Since Michael Nyqvist of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series just passed away, I dug up Europa Report about a team of rather unselfish astronauts' ordeal traveling and landing on one of the Saturn's moon. Really enjoyed a "real" sci-fi movie. Found it a lot more enjoyable than Alien: Covenant at a much smaller budget and hype.

Separately, saw an older movie The Perfect Host by David Hyde Pierce of Fraser fame. It was a very entertaining and intriguing crime story. You do wondered who is the protagonist here. The ending took a very fast and devilish turn.

Both movies are about 90 minutes but very few dull moments.
^^^ From 2017.

Europa Report on Blu-ray DVD, 2013, rated PG-13. I agree. If you want to watch a "real" sci-fi movie without all the special effects, then watch this movie. It does indeed remind me of Alien. A different story, but the setup of how the movie is presented is very refreshing.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Speaking of sci-fi (ish) movies, still love Capricorn One (1978).
Talk about conspiracy theory :shock:
Sad in parts, satisfying in the end.
Hal Holbrook, Elliot Gould, James Brolin, Telly Savalas, Sam Waterston, and a certain former football player that shall not be named :twisted:
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

CODA. A talented seventeen-year-old wants to pursue her dream of singing and this causes complications with her deaf parents and sibling. The family has come to rely on her to be their bridge between the hearing and deaf worlds.

The movie is on the predictable side and at times goes for easy laughs. The strong cast and director easily overcome the cliches. It's all very enjoyable.

Recommended.

I saw it in a theater, but it's an Apple film.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

The House By the Cemetery

This is an Italian horror B-movie from 1981, dubbed in English. It's quite gory in parts so I can't recommend it, but it moved along fairly well and had some laughably bad moments that made it worth watching. There's a scene with a bat and a scene on a staircase that had me laughing out loud, though I don't think they were meant to be funny.

Actual line from the movie, much of which takes place in upstate New York: "Most of the homes around here have tombs inside the house, because it's too cold to bury people in the winter." :confused

Unlike a lot of movies, the ending was pretty satisfying.

I also found it hilarious that the star little kid's character is named "Bob", a rather odd name for a young child in a movie, where they would normally use Bobby or Robby. I think they had to do that because whatever the kid's name was in Italian had only one syllable, and they couldn't dub properly otherwise. The dubbing was actually done well, not very annoying.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Hard Times, from 1975, I believe the first film directed by Walter Hill. It had this kind of rough-edged grace to it, an elegaic quality, almost. Finest performance I've ever seen from Charles Bronson, possibly because his character was literally a man of few words. I have a soft spot for Depression-era films made during that same general window of film making: Paper Moon, Bonnie and Clyde, The Sting. This fits right in.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Red Dust (1932) Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, Mary Astor, directed by Victor Fleming

Pre-code plot with the boss of an Indochinese rubber plantation (Gable) finding himself alone with a prostitute (Harlow) newly arrived from Saigon and the pretty wife (Astor) of a contractor working for him. That’s when the fun begins. Racism typical for the era. I enjoyed it. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.

Red-Headed Woman (1932) Jean Harlow, Chester Morris, Lewis Stone, Leila Hyams, Una Markell, Charles Boyer, directed by Jack Conway

Another pre-code Harlow film from 1932. A red headed floozie gold digger breaks up her employer’s marriage, then it’s on to bigger, but not better, things. I enjoy these well-made depression-era films. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
Arpanet

Post by Arpanet »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:59 pm

Both are recommended.

This is another 1950s mystery directed by Alfred Hitchcock, starring Cary Grant and Grace Kelly, set on the French Riviera. Grant is a retired jewel thief, accused of restarting his career.

Recommended.
You might really like Charade. Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn in Paris. He might be who he says he is, he might not be. What else do you need to know?
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Arpanet wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:53 pm

Both are recommended.

Recommended.
You might really like Charade. Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn in Paris. He might be who he says he is, he might not be. What else do you need to know?
We have seen Charade several times already, and loved it. Our grandson has gone hime, so we have reached the end of the Alfred Hitchcock film festival at our house.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:51 pm
Arpanet wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:53 pm

Both are recommended.

Recommended.
We have seen Charade several times already, and loved it. Our grandson has gone hime, so we have reached the end of the Alfred Hitchcock film festival at our house.
Speaking of Hitchcock you may be interested to know that Hitch’s daughter Pat just died Aug. 9th. She appeared in several of his films including Psycho (1960) and Strangers on a Train (1951), and also on his TV show, Alfred Hitchcock Presents. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Hitchcock
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

We watched these movies on Amazon Prime selected by our visiting 9 year old granddaughter.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, starring Gene Wilder. A poor young boy finds a golden ticket, gets to tour the chocolate factory, and wins a prize beyond what he could imagine.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, starring Johnny Depp. A poor young boy finds a golden ticket, gets to tour the chocolate factory, and wins a prize beyond what he could imagine.

Ratatouille, starring an animated French rodent. A young rat wants to become a chef.

All good.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Suicide Squad: Was really looking forward to this since I really enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy. Horrible movie and a total waste of time.
Dont Breathe 2: If you liked the first one, the formula stays the same essentially and I enjoyed it. Thriller/mild horror based around a blind Navy Seal who isnt a good guy but not totally the bad guy either.
Jolt: Ok movie about a woman who needs to be electrically shocked to stop from hurting others. Kind of over the top but nice twist at the end made it worth the time.
Jungle Cruise: Not horrible, not great. Interesting twist in the middle that I saw coming but my wife didnt. Very interesting CGI. I dont have children but I think it would likely scare young kids.

My wife had also never seen the Beverly Hills Cops series, so we watched those along with Robocop and 48Hrs. Out of all of them, she liked Robocop the best, which threw me for a loop.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

jjunk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:58 pm Jungle Cruise: Not horrible, not great. Interesting twist in the middle that I saw coming but my wife didnt. Very interesting CGI. I dont have children but I think it would likely scare young kids.
Wouldn't call it "good", but it was better than I expected. Not sure why it would scare kids, certainly didn't scare my 9 and 6yr olds.
telemark

Post by telemark »

The Triplets of Belleville, a delightfully weird animated film from 2003. Rented, appropriately enough, from Vudu.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Matilda, on Amazon Prime, selected by our 9 year old granddaughter who was visiting.

It is sad to have all grandchildren gone now :( .
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

In the Same Breath is brilliant, timely, relevant, and chilling. I don't know how Nanfu Wang managed to make this film in 2020, but somehow she did. It is not only the best documentary film of this year - it is the best film of the year. It's in theatres and on HBO.

Wang was one of 21 recipients of the MacArthur Fellowship in 2020. This year Wang was awarded a 2021 Vilcek Prize for Creative Promise in Filmmaking by the Vilcek Foundation, "for the impact and courage of her riveting documentaries". Watching In the Same Breath it's easy to see how well earned the awards are.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
TSintheATL

Post by TSintheATL »

The Lady Eve, with Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda, an unusual comedy role for him.

Made 80 years ago, still very funny.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bobcat2 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:17 pm In the Same Breath is brilliant, timely, relevant, and chilling. I don't know how Nanfu Wang managed to make this film in 2020, but somehow she did. It is not only the best documentary film of this year - it is the best film of the year. It's in theatres and on HBO.

Wang was one of 21 recipients of the MacArthur Fellowship in 2020. This year Wang was awarded a 2021 Vilcek Prize for Creative Promise in Filmmaking by the Vilcek Foundation, "for the impact and courage of her riveting documentaries". Watching In the Same Breath it's easy to see how well earned the awards are.

BobK
Just read the synopsis. I really want to see it and hope it gets more hype. I hadn't previously heard of this film, and (without getting political) I don't think that is a coincidence.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:35 am
jjunk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:58 pm Jungle Cruise: Not horrible, not great. Interesting twist in the middle that I saw coming but my wife didnt. Very interesting CGI. I dont have children but I think it would likely scare young kids.
Wouldn't call it "good", but it was better than I expected. Not sure why it would scare kids, certainly didn't scare my 9 and 6yr olds.
I thought some of the villains/fight scenes might scare little kids. Like I said, I have none so you'd be a better judge than myself.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

"The Departed," staring Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Alec Baldwin, Mark Wahlberg, Anthony Anderson, and Vera Farmiga. On Netflix.

This multiple-Oscar film is about cops, both mob-upped ones and the ones that seek to uncover them. Excellent.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Westworld on DVD, 1973, rated PG, Yul Brenner, James Brolin. A tourist goes on vacation to an entertainment park where you interact with human-like robots. Then, something goes wrong.

An interesting perspective of what the sci-fi future looked like in the early 1970s. This movie reminded me of those late night TV movies you watched at 1 AM. Entertaining.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

"Blow the man down," on Amazon Prime. Evokes Fargo set in a Northeast fishing village. Entertaining.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"Three Days of the Condor" (1975). Robert Redford works at a small CIA analytical shop where they read books searching for any clues of intelligence value. One day he returns from lunch and finds all his colleagues have been assasinated. Now he's running for his life. He has no field experience and doesn't know who to trust but relies on instincts and skills he's picked up reading books. Engrossing from start to finish.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:08 pm "Three Days of the Condor" (1975). Robert Redford works at a small CIA analytical shop where they read books searching for any clues of intelligence value. One day he returns from lunch and finds all his colleagues have been assasinated. Now he's running for his life. He has no field experience and doesn't know who to trust but relies on instincts and skills he's picked up reading books. Engrossing from start to finish.
Really enjoyed this one.
Time to watch it again.

Faye Dunaway was well-cast, as were a few others.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:56 pm
bobcat2 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:17 pm In the Same Breath is brilliant, timely, relevant, and chilling. I don't know how Nanfu Wang managed to make this film in 2020, but somehow she did. It is not only the best documentary film of this year - it is the best film of the year. It's in theatres and on HBO.

BobK
Just read the synopsis. I really want to see it and hope it gets more hype. I hadn't previously heard of this film, and (without getting political) I don't think that is a coincidence.
Saw this on HBO Max the other night. Excellent documentary, and an interesting perspective on how the Chinese government "handled" the corona virus outbreak at the beginning.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

If you enjoyed the movie...

Westworld (movie) -> Westworld (TV series)

Three Days of the Condor (movie) -> Condor (TV series)
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

If you like animated films. Check out spirited away. Adults and children are welcome in this one. The animation alone will keep you enthralled.
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:00 am
htdrag11 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:47 pm Since Michael Nyqvist of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series just passed away, I dug up Europa Report about a team of rather unselfish astronauts' ordeal traveling and landing on one of the Saturn's moon. Really enjoyed a "real" sci-fi movie. Found it a lot more enjoyable than Alien: Covenant at a much smaller budget and hype.

Separately, saw an older movie The Perfect Host by David Hyde Pierce of Fraser fame. It was a very entertaining and intriguing crime story. You do wondered who is the protagonist here. The ending took a very fast and devilish turn.

Both movies are about 90 minutes but very few dull moments.
^^^ From 2017.

Europa Report on Blu-ray DVD, 2013, rated PG-13. I agree. If you want to watch a "real" sci-fi movie without all the special effects, then watch this movie. It does indeed remind me of Alien. A different story, but the setup of how the movie is presented is very refreshing.
+1 for Europa report. It’s old school low tech sci-fi done right.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:08 pm "Three Days of the Condor" (1975). Robert Redford works at a small CIA analytical shop where they read books searching for any clues of intelligence value. One day he returns from lunch and finds all his colleagues have been assasinated. Now he's running for his life. He has no field experience and doesn't know who to trust but relies on instincts and skills he's picked up reading books. Engrossing from start to finish.
In case you are unaware of it and interested in checking it out, there is a "Condor" TV series based on the film -- I forget where we watched it a couple of years ago. It stars Max Irons (son of Jeremy Irons) and we thought Season 1 was quite good; I recall that it moved pretty fast, which we appreciated. There is a S2 out also, which we need to locate among all the streaming services.

Edited: Series already noted above
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) on Kanopy.

Crime film directed by Peter Yates, starring Robert Mitchum and Peter Boyle. The screenplay by Paul Monash was adapted from the 1970 novel The Friends of Eddie Coyle by George V. Higgins.

The film tells the story of Eddie Coyle (Mitchum), a small-time member of the Irish Mob in Boston, Massachusetts.

I thought it was very good.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Available for free on HBO Max.
jibantik

Post by jibantik »

mhalley wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 pm The Green Knight in the theater. Getting great reviews on RT, but I thought it was horrible. Depressing, unlikeable characters,”artsy” at the expense of a good movie imho.
jjunk wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:02 pm Just reupped my AMC A-List so I've been on a bit of a bender the last two weeks between my prior credits and my three movies/week:
2. The Green Knight: most disappointing film I've seen in a while mostly because I love the original prose but this movie was just bad.
For the people who didn't like The Green Knight, did you finish the entire movie? At the end I started to hate it, almost would have shut it off if I wasn't watching it with other people, but ultimately I thought the ending was awesome, really redeemed itself.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

"CODA" on Apple TV. "CODA" stands for "Child of Deaf Adults", and tells the story of a teen age girl whose father, mother and brother are deaf, but who is drawn to singing. The daughter, being the only hearing person in the family, often needs to translate between her parents and brother, and the hearing community.

Great acting!

Fantastic scenery of Cape Ann, MA, where the family works in the commercial fishing trade.The film is ostensibly set in Gloucester, but my friend who grew up near there says it is actually filmed in Rockport.

We almost, but not quite cried. Highly recommended!
Wolfy339

Post by Wolfy339 »

Concussion on DVD via Netflix. This movie made me wonder how the sport of American Football is still legal at any level given the effects to the brains of the athletes.
I am an IT Tech with a lot to learn