What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Metsfan91

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Metsfan91 »

The Virginian
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Watched "Tina" last night, HBO's documentary on Tina Turner. Very nicely done. Saw it on HBO Max.

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/tina
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

News of The World

It was good. But it could have been better.

Do recommend.
a

Post by a »

Inside Job, documentary about the 2008 financial crisis. After watching, I now figure for 3 sources of taxes: federal (30%), state (15%), and wall street (5%)

(rented on Amazon $3, recommend)

The Ascent of Money, documentary on history of money (20% through). It struck me how a nation could finance a war (raise armies, build weapons, order armies around) "overnight" (that is, generate the money overnight) simply by inventing a financial device - basically pen strokes on a piece of paper - war bonds - out of thin air. Out of thin air, since the amount of gold (= money at that era) contained in the nation didn't change by the penstrokes.

(free on Youtube, somewhat recommend)

Also reading Ray Dalio due to various references on this forum. Engaging thoughtful writing on his theory of how Big Debt (nation scale) works. For example, his example of the Year of Jubilee (programmed canceling of all debt every 50 years) to drive home the point that debt, ownership and "our property" is just chicken scratches on paper, a game we play on ourselves to keep us productive for decades at a time, but like a 2 hour long game of Monopoly, eventually it's called off and the board is swept clean, to take a short break then renew our spiraling into obsession over these dollar signs and numbers anew.

(free PDFs on his website, recommend)
Last edited by a on Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Martian” with Matt Damon. Seen it many times and always enjoy it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_(film)

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Finding Ohana, on Netflix.

A single mother and her two children return from New York City to Oahu to help grandfather deal with impending loss of his home. The children and young friends hunt for pirate treasure in a cave, trying to help grandfather. "The Goonies" set in Hawaii.

We enjoyed this movie. Partly filmed at Kualoa Ranch, Oahu. The scenery is beautiful.

trailer
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Shalom Aleichem

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:58 pm
Shalom Aleichem wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:26 am At the recommendation of some poster here ... Love and Monsters. Very cute. Recommended. Light romantic comedy with a splash of science fiction. Totally predictable but fun to watch. I am a movie snob as is my brother and we both enjoyed it.

Just watched "Happily." Meh. Probably not worth seeing.

Previously saw Vivarium. Very creepy and disturbing. I saw it a while back and it still stick with me.
Watched Vivarium the other night based on your comments. It’s been picked by the algorithms for me and subject matter , that is weird, is my type!

It was VERY disturbing. Started slow, then my mouth was left gaping through most of the middle of the movie in between laughing at the absurdity but the tone quickly moved to disturbing.

It’s the type of movie you google reviews at the end to get impressions and metaphorical meanings others read into it! I guess that’s my type of movie....sticks with you but I’d say it’s more like a longer twilight zone episode. Not sure it needed that much time...but boy, it creeped me out!
Creepy and disturbing indeed. I'm glad I watched it, but definitely creepy and disturbing. He was also in I think "The art of self defense," something like that. I thought that was good-not-great but I'm very snobby about movies.
cnblure

Post by cnblure »

Sing Street. A kid starts a band in 1980's Ireland to impress a girl. Definitely watch it if you haven't seen it.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Spaceballs

Awesome as always! I originally saw it in the theater on its initial release.
But then I noticed that was 34 years ago. Ouch, made me feel old. But not as old as Yogurt.
telemark

Post by telemark »

tooluser wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:51 pm Spaceballs

But then I noticed that was 34 years ago. Ouch, made me feel old. But not as old as Yogurt.
I think the parody has aged better than the original. The bit where the Dark Helmet is playing with his action figures when his assistant walks in always makes me laugh hysterically.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

The Banker, on Apple TV

In the 1960s, two entrepreneurs hatch an ingenious business plan to fight for housing integration-and equal access to the American Dream.

Stars Samuel L Jackson and Anthony Mackie.

I liked it. Highlights the underlying (or perhaps overt) racism in America in a thought provoking way.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Operation Varsity Blues: The admissions Scandal

Documentary with reenactments. Wow! I actually felt bad for the parents when the scandal came out...but everyone in the scandal, victims included, should be shamed. Sad ending though; Nothing will change
ScoobyDoo!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I loved this parody, didn't recall that it's 34 years old.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
mudphudder

Post by mudphudder »

The Courier.

Stars Benedict Cumberbatch as a London businessman recruited by MI6 to carry information back and forth with a high ranking Soviet Official. Great acting and good Cold War era spy thriller overall. Takes a turn in the third act that I kinda saw coming. Just finished reading two John Le Carre novels so this rounded out the week nicely for me.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Godzilla v. Kong on HBO Max. Also apparently in theaters.

Not recommended. Joe Morgenstern the movie reviewer for the WSJ ends his review "Oh, for the magical days of men in rubber gorilla suits."

P.S. We did not make it anywhere near the end. YMMV.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Brooklyn’s Finest” on Hulu. Enjoyed it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn%27s_Finest

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

heartwood wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:55 pm Godzilla v. Kong on HBO Max. Also apparently in theaters.

Not recommended. Joe Morgenstern the movie reviewer for the WSJ ends his review "Oh, for the magical days of men in rubber gorilla suits."

I watched parts of this last night. Turned on after my wife headed upstais to bed. Saw maybe the first 20-25 minutes, then dozed off. Woke up just before the Millie Bobby Brown group got into the transport and Alex Skarscard's group headed below the earth with Kong. Watched all that for another 30 dozy minutes, then turned off and went to bed. Special effects were impressive.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Wonder Woman 1984.
Free from library DVD.
Like other posters on this thread commented... not good.
Hint: don't miss the "mid credits" scene at the end. That actually partially made up for the ridiculously contrived, poor action scenes punishment I endured prior.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:12 am

I loved this parody, didn't recall that it's 34 years old.
The one-liners in this masterpiece are funny even today. When I want to introduce someone, I sometimes say "this is my father's brother's nephew's cousin's..."
The ones who get it :D , the others :shock:
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Artful Dodger wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:31 pm
heartwood wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:55 pm Godzilla v. Kong on HBO Max. Also apparently in theaters.

I watched parts of this last night. Turned on after my wife headed upstais to bed. Saw maybe the first 20-25 minutes, then dozed off. Woke up just before the Millie Bobby Brown group got into the transport and Alex Skarscard's group headed below the earth with Kong. Watched all that for another 30 dozy minutes, then turned off and went to bed. Special effects were impressive.
Watched about 20-30 minutes of it tonight before giving it a break. The "Hollow Earth" idea will probably live in common folklore. I can see geology professors tearing their hair out due to all the inane questions they will be forced to endure.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

A Pocket Full of Rye, on YouTube.

An elderly businessman is poisoned, and a handful of rye is found in his pockets. Soon after his much younger wife and the family maid are murdered as in the old nursery rhyme. Miss Marple is the former employer of the maid, and goes to investigate.

trailer
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"The Sound of Metal" on Amazon Prime. Really didn't think I fit the demographics for this movie and was prepared to not like it or the character... but it has been mentioned here too many times to ignore. Watched it with my wife and we both really enjoyed it. I agree it will be up for awards. Lead character really quite likable. Excellent story that is worth 2 hours of your time.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Avatar on Blu-ray DVD, 2009, PG-13, directed by James Cameron. A paraplegic Marine dispatched to the moon Pandora has to decide between following his orders and protecting the alien natives. Lots of action. The animation quality is excellent and breath-taking at times. Not many films can do it this well.

It's best enjoyed in a high-def home theater environment (what I have). Highly recommended. :thumbsup

Sigourney Weaver plays one of the major characters.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Roman Holiday on Amazon Prime. Great movie. Highly recommend this classic.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

The King of Staten Island on HBO. Took me awhile to get into it, but it wasn't bad.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Cruise wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 am "The Father," streaming for $$ on a number of platforms. Anthony Hopkins plays a an Alzheimer's patient. The movie is shot with an interesting perspective, that of the patient. I liked the movie more than I thought I would, but did not like the ending. But, there is no good ending with Alzheimer's Disease.
I want to see this one (wife and I are currently on a Oscar Best Picture nominee kick), but I'm waiting until it gets down to the $5.99 rental level. We rented Promising Young Woman on Prime Video, once it dropped below the earlier $19.99 price, and liked it a lot.

Speaking of Oscar noms, I'm so annoyed that we didn't catch Judas and the Black Messiah, while if was still available on our HBO Max subscription. Waited too long. :-x
Fired2020

Post by Fired2020 »

Capsu78 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:22 am "The Sound of Metal" on Amazon Prime. Really didn't think I fit the demographics for this movie and was prepared to not like it or the character... but it has been mentioned here too many times to ignore. Watched it with my wife and we both really enjoyed it. I agree it will be up for awards. Lead character really quite likable. Excellent story that is worth 2 hours of your time.
I felt the same going into this one - not really my movie genre. I enjoyed it too though, 8/10.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Sign of Four, on Amazon Prime.

This 1983 Sherlock Holmes movie stars Ian Richardson. A jewel robbery in India and a prison escape in the Andaman Islands leads to revenge and murder in England.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Fired2020 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:45 pm
Capsu78 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:22 am "The Sound of Metal" on Amazon Prime. Really didn't think I fit the demographics for this movie and was prepared to not like it or the character... but it has been mentioned here too many times to ignore. Watched it with my wife and we both really enjoyed it. I agree it will be up for awards. Lead character really quite likable. Excellent story that is worth 2 hours of your time.
I felt the same going into this one - not really my movie genre. I enjoyed it too though, 8/10.
We started watching a few weeks ago and turned it off within 60 seconds. Glad we returned to it because the rest of the movie is much more enjoyable than the first minute or so.
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
DW wanted to watch a RomCom, so that's what we did. We'd seen it before, but surprisingly entertaining.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Evil Under the Sun, on YouTube.

Hercule Poirot it played by David Suchet, is advised by his doctor to take it easy at an island health resort. Of course mysteries abound and a murder must be solved.

trailer
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Cruise wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:26 pm Watched "Tina" last night, HBO's documentary on Tina Turner. Very nicely done. Saw it on HBO Max.

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/tina
Just watched this and loved Tina and her amazing voice, dancing and moves. Disappointingly it's 90+% talking (yes, it's a documentary), a lot not by her. i'd hoped for concert video. Some of the best is in the closing credits: Only the Best.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Death on the Nile, on YouTube.

2004 version starting David Suchet as Hercule Poirot. A wealthy American heiress honeymooning on a Nile cruise ship is stalked by a former friend, whose boyfriend she had stolen before making him her new husband.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Fifth Element on DVD, PG-13, 1997, Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich. A cab driver gets involved in the search for a missing weapon. This is a sci-fi comedy. Very entertaining and well produced. A few scenes in the latter part of the movie were hilarious. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Goodbye, Mister Chips (1939 version) on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) I'd seen the Peter O'Toole version before and wondered how the original would be. It was actually pretty good.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Murder in Mesopotamia, on YouTube.

While Poirot is on holiday in Iraq, the wife of the head scientist at an archaeological dig confides to him that she is the target of threatening letters.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We just watched "Death on the Nile", another Agatha Christie mystery with David Suchet's Poirot.

It was a bit disappointing, but I'm not sure why.

Perhaps it was partly how many times there would have needed to be someone at *just* the right place at *just* the right time, etc. - for specific events that couldn't have been predicted with such accuracy.
I don't remember thinking about such issues when watching others in the Poirot series.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Watched Joker last night. Mixed feelings on this one. Interesting trying to determine what was real and what was fantasy as the movie went on. But the ending where we learn the whole thing is fantasy was a real downer.

I didn't have this kind of downer with the St. Elsewhere finale where we learn the whole series was a fantasy.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Watched "Nobody" starring Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul). Fast paced with lots of action and some humor tossed in. Fight scenes very intense. If you enjoy movies like John Wick, this is similar. I liked it.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Shalom Aleichem

cheese_breath wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:37 pm Watched Joker last night. Mixed feelings on this one. Interesting trying to determine what was real and what was fantasy as the movie went on. But the ending where we learn the whole thing is fantasy was a real downer.

I didn't have this kind of downer with the St. Elsewhere finale where we learn the whole series was a fantasy.
Well... I guess I don’t need to watch joker now!
Shalom Aleichem

fsrph wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:50 pm Watched "Nobody" starring Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul). Fast paced with lots of action and some humor tossed in. Fight scenes very intense. If you enjoy movies like John Wick, this is similar. I liked it.

Francis
Where did you see it? I love action movies - magnificent seven, all Clint Eastwood westerns, but I found John wick to be mostly just shooting guns with no real plot after the first fifteen minutes. I wanted to see nobody but mostly if it had a good story. Where did you see it?
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Shalom Aleichem wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:10 pm
fsrph wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:50 pm Watched "Nobody" starring Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul). Fast paced with lots of action and some humor tossed in. Fight scenes very intense. If you enjoy movies like John Wick, this is similar. I liked it.

Francis
Where did you see it? I love action movies - magnificent seven, all Clint Eastwood westerns, but I found John wick to be mostly just shooting guns with no real plot after the first fifteen minutes. I wanted to see nobody but mostly if it had a good story. Where did you see it?
I saw it at the local Cinemark in Pennsylvania. I tend to see new movies at a theater rather than streaming. Also, Christopher Lloyd was in the movie as the main character's father. Not sure if you'll like it .... it's a lot like John Wick. In fact I believe the screenwriter for Nobody was involved with the John Wick franchise. The story isn't overtly great but the action is unbelievable.

Francis
Last edited by fsrph on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

News of the World (2020)
DVD free from public library.
Was a little slow in parts, but nice story line and you can't go wrong with Mr. Hanks.
Since I just finished reading Lonesome Dove, the locales/story was fresh in my imagination.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTZDb_iKooI

I Care a Lot (2020)
Netflix
Intense and surprising but also far-fetched. Can't decide which character I hated more.
You can't go wrong with Peter Dinklage!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D40uHmTSPew
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

tenkuky wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:46 am News of the World (2020)
Was a little slow in parts, but nice story line and you can't go wrong with Mr. Hanks.
Since I just finished reading Lonesome Dove, the locales/story was fresh in my imagination.

I Care a Lot (2020)
Netflix
Intense and surprising but also far-fetched. Can't decide which character I hated more.
Far-fetched? "If only..."

You might want to take a look at any of the news reports about the Nevada Guardianship Scandals:

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 8&oe=UTF-8

This went as far as at least one corrupt judge who was "in on it".
It was truly horrifying, how the system not only failed, but many of those who should have been monitoring/preventing such abuses were complicit.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:14 am
tenkuky wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:46 am News of the World (2020)

I Care a Lot (2020)
Netflix
Far-fetched? "If only..."

You might want to take a look at any of the news reports about the Nevada Guardianship Scandals:

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 8&oe=UTF-8

This went as far as at least one corrupt judge who was "in on it".
It was truly horrifying, how the system not only failed, but many of those who should have been monitoring/preventing such abuses were complicit.

RM
The far-fetched was related to the ability of the protagonist to acquire some truly remarkable skills (no spoiler) to get herself out of some situations and to outwit the antagonist.
Not about the horrific plot line about what happens in general. I concur that is a travesty and real.
waskiri

Post by waskiri »

Unknown Soldier (2017) Tuntematon Sotilas
A WW2 movie with a profound pacifist message.
Based in the Finnish classic novel, it is worth to be seen.

The Racer (2020).
It is a road bicycle racer movie during the Tour of France in 1998.
I found it more interesting than The Program (2015).
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Yesterday, I watched a documentary "When my time comes" about end-of-life choices, narrated by Diane Rehm. I don't have a TV and watched it on line.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Ma (2019)

Slowly building thriller that turns to horror. A woman repeatedly invites local teens into her home to party safely. What could possibly go wrong?

Watchable, but I cannot recommend it due to gratuitous gore/violence/adult situations when it turns to horror.

What is particularly notable about it is that it has a few big name stars in it: Octavia Spencer, Juliette Lewis, and Allison Janney. I guess they were looking to expand their range. None of them play what has been a typical role for them.
Shalom Aleichem

tooluser wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:19 pm Ma (2019)

Slowly building thriller that turns to horror. A woman repeatedly invites local teens into her home to party safely. What could possibly go wrong?

Watchable, but I cannot recommend it due to gratuitous gore/violence/adult situations when it turns to horror.

What is particularly notable about it is that it has a few big name stars in it: Octavia Spencer, Juliette Lewis, and Allison Janney. I guess they were looking to expand their range. None of them play what has been a typical role for them.
I didn’t like it but I’m not opposed to violence in movies. I mean if you’re watching a horror movie - I think it was a blumhouse movie?- you kind of expect violence going in no? Reservoir dogs was great but the violence was horrifying and stayed with me for like 20 years or whenever it was made.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Shalom Aleichem wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:34 pm
tooluser wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:19 pm Ma (2019)

I didn’t like it but I’m not opposed to violence in movies. I mean if you’re watching a horror movie - I think it was a blumhouse movie?- you kind of expect violence going in no? Reservoir dogs was great but the violence was horrifying and stayed with me for like 20 years or whenever it was made.
Agree. I put those warnings into my reviews so there is no mistake about what the viewer is getting into. Some violence and horror is not gratuitous and not gorey, and I rather prefer that. I always try to find something positive if I can. If the movie has been well-discussed here or was boring with no redeeming value I don't write it up. Now I have to watch Reservoir Dogs again, I don't recall it being that violent, and I enjoyed it.