What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tubes

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Tubes »

Beckett on Netflix. It is your standard wrongly accused tourist drama. So, just OK.

However, I found the Greek location shooting to be gorgeous. It brought back memories of a trip I had there, as I spent time in the major places in the film (Delphi, Ioannina, Athens). It was a trip down memory lane.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:45 am
ResearchMed wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:58 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:37 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:24 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:52 am Indiscrete, on Amazon Prime.

This is a 1958 classic, a different sort of romantic comedy for grown-ups starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman.

Recommended.
That's the movie about tiny blobs stuck together? :wink:

Cary Grant & Ingrid Bergman: "Indiscreet"

RM
I hate autocorrect :?
Yeah... It can really change things, sometimes in really unfortunate ways...

RM
I usually post on a tablet.

The question is then -- a fat-finger issue versus autocorrect strikes again? That question may be insoluble :? .
I have a terrible time typing on my little iPhone. (Oh how I miss my old Blackberry, the trusty device that finally bit the dust... It had a real keyboard, with separate "keys", ones that fingernails could easily tap!)

I decided some time ago, after a really unfortunate autocorrect went out, that I if I must choose as you describe, then I'll choose the fat finger problem. At least then it's usually obvious that I just typed wrong, or it may appear that I just can't spell properly. But that's better than some autocorrects, where the apparent meaning may have, er, changed... :shock:

I make far fewer "typos" on my laptop, which also has distinct (dare I describe them as "discrete"? :twisted: ) KEYS. Real keys! Just like in 7th grade typing class <mumble> decades ago! How quaint :happy
I had to learn to type blind (keys were all blank) then, and I can still do it now. But ONLY If I can actually *feel* where the keys are...

RM
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:03 am
ruralavalon wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:45 am
ResearchMed wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:58 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:37 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:24 pm

That's the movie about tiny blobs stuck together? :wink:

Cary Grant & Ingrid Bergman: "Indiscreet"

RM
I hate autocorrect :?
Yeah... It can really change things, sometimes in really unfortunate ways...

RM
I usually post on a tablet.

The question is then -- a fat-finger issue versus autocorrect strikes again? That question may be insoluble :? .
I have a terrible time typing on my little iPhone. (Oh how I miss my old Blackberry, the trusty device that finally bit the dust... It had a real keyboard, with separate "keys", ones that fingernails could easily tap!)

I decided some time ago, after a really unfortunate autocorrect went out, that I if I must choose as you describe, then I'll choose the fat finger problem. At least then it's usually obvious that I just typed wrong, or it may appear that I just can't spell properly. But that's better than some autocorrects, where the apparent meaning may have, er, changed... :shock:

I make far fewer "typos" on my laptop, which also has distinct (dare I describe them as "discrete"? :twisted: ) KEYS. Real keys! Just like in 7th grade typing class <mumble> decades ago! How quaint :happy
I had to learn to type blind (keys were all blank) then, and I can still do it now. But ONLY If I can actually *feel* where the keys are...

RM
Sometimes on my tablet I type "index" and it comes out "In sex".

I have no idea why the first word becomes capitalized or it becomes two words. I don't see how can this be either fat-finger or autocorrect.

I use a Kindle Fire HD tablet, which has a strange version of Android as its operating system. Maybe I'll blame that.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Let's stick to movies, please.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:01 am Let's stick to movies, please.
Sorry :oops:
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Tubes wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:55 am Beckett on Netflix. It is your standard wrongly accused tourist drama. So, just OK.

However, I found the Greek location shooting to be gorgeous. It brought back memories of a trip I had there, as I spent time in the major places in the film (Delphi, Ioannina, Athens). It was a trip down memory lane.
I'll have to add "Beckett" to my watch list. Some movies and TV shows are good largely for the locales. They're often spy flicks, since espionage has international scope, or they're feel-good movies. Of the latter type two come to mind: "Under the Tuscan Sun" (2003) and "Mamma Mia!" (2008). I've been thinking about watching "Z" (1969) but it's a Greek political thriller, not feel-good, so it won't give nostaligic travelogue vibes. But it's supposed to have Greek music so there's that.
Thrifty1

Post by Thrifty1 »

We watched Dear Evan Hansen. It was about some dark stuff: teenagers trying to fit in, mental illness, parental responsibility and guilt, suicide. I, who hardly ever cries at movies, did.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:31 pm
Tubes wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:55 am Beckett on Netflix. It is your standard wrongly accused tourist drama. So, just OK.

I'll have to add "Beckett" to my watch list. Some movies and TV shows are good largely for the locales. They're often spy flicks, since espionage has international scope, or they're feel-good movies. Of the latter type two come to mind: "Under the Tuscan Sun" (2003) and "Mamma Mia!" (2008). I've been thinking about watching "Z" (1969) but it's a Greek political thriller, not feel-good, so it won't give nostaligic travelogue vibes. But it's supposed to have Greek music so there's that.
Z is very good. Recommended.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Eyes of Tammy Faye (2021)

The movie version of the 2000 documentary was well
done. I had expected caricature, vilification, and ridicule
of the former TV evangelists, Jim and Tammy Bakker, but the
film was surprisingly balanced and poignant. To be sure the
movie did not pull any punches regarding multiple indiscretions
within the PTL empire but at the same time it could be somewhat
empathetic to those whose lives were ruined by the downfall.
I agree with others who say Jessica Chastain should be nominated
for Best Actress for her portrayal of Tammy Faye Bakker.
Viewed at a theater.
Recommended
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Old Henry

A good Western with a interesting story.

ms gamboolgal and I enjoyed this one very much. We would give it a 9+, dang near a 10.

Do recommend.

Summary from RogerEbert.com Review website follows:
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/old- ... eview-2021

Link to Trailer follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZc4PVVd-0w&t=2s
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

gamboolman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:00 am Old Henry

ms gamboolgal and I enjoyed this one very much. We would give it a 9+, dang near a 10.

Do recommend.

Link to Trailer follows:

But where did you see it?
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 am

Do recommend.

Link to Trailer follows:

But where did you see it?
We rented it on Amazon Prime.
Was a total of $6.48
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:45 pm
AlohaBill wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:37 pm When I returned from a 2 year stint in peace corps Marshall Islands, I went to see Young Frankenstein. I absolutely hated it. This surprised and frankly scared me a bit. The two years had changed me. Last week I watched one of my favorite comedies, Blazing Saddles, with my Chinese wife. She was not impressed. What was once hilarious was offensive now. I just checked, ANIMAL HOUSE, out of the library. I’m wondering what will be my reaction this time.
I still think that Animal House is the best comedy movie of all time. It is gross, disgusting and juvenile.

I am still pretty immature at age 76.
Me too

I can remember the night in high school I saw animal house and thought someone finally gets my sense of humor

I became a fighter pilot which luckily allowed me to be myself for 20+ years

At age 60 you can take a lot of things away from me but not my immaturity.

One of the reasons I have always lived beneath my means and saved money is so I can have [implied expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] money
billthecat

Post by billthecat »

Charade (1963), with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. Very good!
Last edited by billthecat on Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • It's later than you think • Ack! Thbbft!
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:24 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:45 pm
AlohaBill wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:37 pm When I returned from a 2 year stint in peace corps Marshall Islands, I went to see Young Frankenstein. I absolutely hated it. This surprised and frankly scared me a bit. The two years had changed me. Last week I watched one of my favorite comedies, Blazing Saddles, with my Chinese wife. She was not impressed. What was once hilarious was offensive now. I just checked, ANIMAL HOUSE, out of the library. I’m wondering what will be my reaction this time.
I still think that Animal House is the best comedy movie of all time. It is gross, disgusting and juvenile.

I am still pretty immature at age 76.
Me too

I can remember the night in high school I saw animal house and thought someone finally gets my sense of humor

I became a fighter pilot which luckily allowed me to be myself for 20+ years

At age 60 you can take a lot of things away from me but not my immaturity.

One of the reasons I have always lived beneath my means and saved money is so I can have [implied expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] money
Animal House may be crude. Doesn't bother me. Beyond the crude, there are plenty of innocent scenes that are comedy genius. To me one of the funniest scenes in movie history is of John Belushi yanking the guitar from Stephen Bishop's grasp and busting it to pieces.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

billthecat wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:34 pm Charade (1963), with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. Very good!
We rewatch Charade every year or so, it is an excellent movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

The Card Counter (2021), starring Oscar Issac -- among others, in the theater.

Superb.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

It's October so we watch spooky movies all month.

The Hunger - an 80's vampire drama starring Susan Sarandon, Catherine Deneuve, and David Bowie - I haven't watched this for probably 20+ years. I recently read the book and bought the film. It's a slightly different take on the traditional vampire movie. I liked the book better honestly because the movie rushes through a lot of things that build slowly in the book making it look awkward in places, especially the relationship between the two starring women. The ending also differs from the book, I prefer the book ending.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
billthecat

Post by billthecat »

North by Northwest (1959), with Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint. Fantastic! And I've come to learn that it was a template for the Bond films.

These older movies are proving to be quite good. Further testing required.
Last edited by billthecat on Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • It's later than you think • Ack! Thbbft!
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

The Burnt Orange Heresy (2019), a heist film with a twist, starring Claes Bang, Elizabeth Debicki and Donald Sutherland.

A crime thriller, interesting and different:
https://www.sonyclassics.com/film/theburntorangeheresy

Found on Hulu and Starz:
https://www.hulu.com/movie/the-burnt-or ... 5f1f4aad73
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Do recommend.

Link to Trailer follows:

Just saw this recently as well and really enjoyed it.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Brought the grandkids to see Addams Family 2.

Ugh. That's 1.5 hours of my life I won't get back. Don't recommend.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Matahari wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:33 pm Stillwater (2021).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... cf_strg_wb

We watched without caring about the connection to real-world events and enjoyed the film as a whodunit. Just when one might expect that Matt Damon would turn into Jason Bourne, the movie stays with a more realistic characterization. One might initially think "Stillwater" refers to the place in OK where the main character is from, but the word becomes a figurative and a literal reference as the movie unfolds. Nicely done.
What Matahari said

ms gamboolgal and I enjoyed it and do recommend. :thumbsup
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

RustyShackleford wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 pm Old and a 2-hour miniseries, not a "movie", but ... "The Russian German War", on Prime video. Very crude, apparently dubbed from VHS. But every SECOND is contemporaneous footage and it's great. If you're into that sort of thing. Good to be reminded who did the majority of the heavy lifting when it came to destroying Hitler (not to mention Napoleon).
Yes, the Generals Motors and Electric…

Movies are hard these days asIve been watching K dramas other than Squid Game. I may get around to that but I tend toward stuff with happier endings.

Cycled through the Disney+ movies for any Marvel movies I missed and started Foundation on Apple which I am somewhat ambivalent about so far…
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Matahari wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:58 pm The Burnt Orange Heresy (2019), a heist film with a twist, starring Claes Bang, Elizabeth Debicki and Donald Sutherland.

Found on Hulu and Starz:
We had never even heard of this movie. I looked it up, and the plot seemed intriguing, so we found it and... off we went...

You (Matahari) left out that Mick Jagger is also one of the main actors.
We both thought that Sutherland and Jagger were terrific.

The movie was indeed quite different and we both enjoyed it.
Not a "top ten" or such, but a nice change.

Thanks for mentioning it.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Case59

Post by Case59 »

The Thing from Another Planet (1951). The first and weaker version of John W. Campbell's classic SF story, "Who Goes There." While fairly well-done, the movie omits the central aspect of the story--the alien's ability to morph into exact replicas of humans. The movie's main claim to fame is the casting of a young James Arness as the Thing, with about five minutes of screen time. John Carpenter's 1982 version, The Thing, starring Kurt Russell is a far more faithful and better version--indeed, a SF/horror classic.
Last edited by Case59 on Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain
Case59

Post by Case59 »

{Disregard, accidental double entry.}
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain
Batguano

Post by Batguano »

WIND RIVER (2017) highly recommend! A crime thriller with awesome outdoor scenery of Wyoming.
Spoiler alert: most of the filming was shot in Utah. I’ve done a lot of hunting outside of Cody, Wyoming
and it brought back some great memories. Especially, running snow machines across some of the amazing terrain.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

The 12th Man
Netflix Movie based on real life events of the story of Jan Baalsrud, a Norwegian resistance soldier in WW2.

I love history, and as many of us did, grew up surrounded by relatives and neighbors who had all been in WW2 and/or Korea - and thus I heard many stories from the Veterans. So I have read books and watched Documentaries and Movies on all the War(s) since I was a kid.

ms gamboolgal and I enjoyed this one very much. Amazing story of survival in extreme conditions with help from the locals. Mr
Baalsrud was one tuff hombre for sure.

ms gamboolgal and I get cold when the temperature gets into the 60's degree's Fahrenheit range - ha !

We would give it a 8 to 9.

Do recommend.

Link to Wiki Bio on Mr. Jan Baalsrud:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Baalsrud

Link to Roger Ebert review:
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-12th-man-2018

Link to Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4CMHbNX8k4
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Wrath of Man starring Jason Statham on Netflix. A crime thriller.

90% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wrath_of_man
Last edited by doobiedoo on Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Needed a short movie for the kids, watch Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. It is so odd.

I had never seen Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, but the kids wanted to see the sequel, so we did that. Again, so surreal.

Planning on Bill & Ted Face the Music this weekend.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:05 pm
Matahari wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:58 pm The Burnt Orange Heresy (2019), a heist film with a twist, starring Claes Bang, Elizabeth Debicki and Donald Sutherland.

Found on Hulu and Starz:
We had never even heard of this movie. I looked it up, and the plot seemed intriguing, so we found it and... off we went...

RM
You are welcome! Frankly, I left out Jagger because he was not material to my recommendation; I found him distracting and odd, but I suppose that fit the role.

I'm constantly in search of "different and unusual" but reasonably good.

Another one we watched recently was "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" (2019), directed by Richard Linklater and starring Cate Blanchett (who is never not good) and Kristen Wiig, among others -- the smaller roles are peopled by great character actors. I knew little about the film going in and typically prefer that (I don't watch trailers, for example). We really enjoyed it. A film involving travel to Antarctica? Outlandish. But it turned out to be an exploration of identity, loss and rediscovery, with much that resonates.

https://www.hulu.com/movie/whered-you-g ... 18f4a6c22d
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Matahari wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:02 am
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:05 pm

Found on Hulu and Starz:

RM
You are welcome! Frankly, I left out Jagger because he was not material to my recommendation; I found him distracting and odd, but I suppose that fit the role.

I'm constantly in search of "different and unusual" but reasonably good.

Another one we watched recently was "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" (2019), directed by Richard Linklater and starring Cate Blanchett (who is never not good) and Kristen Wiig, among others -- the smaller roles are peopled by great character actors. I knew little about the film going in and typically prefer that (I don't watch trailers, for example). We really enjoyed it. A film involving travel to Antarctica? Outlandish. But it turned out to be an exploration of identity, loss and rediscovery, with much that resonates.

https://www.hulu.com/movie/whered-you-g ... 18f4a6c22d
Well, yes, Jagger's character was indeed "distracting and odd", so if Jagger himself added to that, all the better.
He also looked so old...
But I thought casting him in that role really worked.

We also thought the opening set an appropriate tone (no pun intended), with the short operatic piece "Ombra Mai Fu" playing in the background.
(But then, it's one of the pieces we've worked on in our opera lessons.)

"Where'd you go, Bernadette" sounds... interesting. A few good/favorite actors there, too.
We'll probably give it a try, too, given your terrific track record above :wink:

We usually read the plot, and occasionally a few reviews, but also almost never watch trailers.

About "...Bernadette...":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where'd_Y ... tte_(film)

Any others? Violence, and especially if graphic and gratuitous [and I think most of it is], is a rule-out.

Another favorite, from the '80s, is "Black WIdow", with Debra Winger (NOT the newer movie).
In this case, reading the plot will be just a bit of an early spoiler, But there's more to come...

Thanks again.

RM
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:59 am
Well, yes, Jagger's character was indeed "distracting and odd", so if Jagger himself added to that, all the better.
He also looked so old...
But I thought casting him in that role really worked.

We also thought the opening set an appropriate tone (no pun intended), with the short operatic piece "Ombra Mai Fu" playing in the background.
(But then, it's one of the pieces we've worked on in our opera lessons.)

"Where'd you go, Bernadette" sounds... interesting. A few good/favorite actors there, too.
We'll probably give it a try, too, given your terrific track record above :wink:

We usually read the plot, and occasionally a few reviews, but also almost never watch trailers.

About "...Bernadette...":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where'd_Y ... tte_(film)

Any others? Violence, and especially if graphic and gratuitous [and I think most of it is], is a rule-out.

Another favorite, from the '80s, is "Black WIdow", with Debra Winger (NOT the newer movie).
In this case, reading the plot will be just a bit of an early spoiler, But there's more to come...

Thanks again.

RM
I'm not familiar with that piece of music, so did not notice its significance, for which it was no doubt carefully chosen.

I remember the Debra Winger "Black Widow" quite well, especially for Teresa Russell's performance. I don't think it was well-reviewed even then, but nonetheless I'll have to look for it for a re-watch. I really like Debra Winger's work. I just checked the director's Bob Rafelson's filmography; he also directed "Mountains of the Moon" (1990). We watched that in the theater when it came out 30! years ago and thought it was terrific. It's a biographical film about the search for the source of the Nile and it stars Patrick Bergen and a very young Iain Glen. If you end up watching it, you'll likely recognize a young Fiona Shaw and Richard E. Grant, among others.

It's available here; I hope it is in high-def resolution because the vistas are fantastic, of course.

https://www.amazon.com/Mountains-Moon-Patrick-Bergin/dp/B000K2GF2K

I'll go through our recent viewings to see if there are other films I can recommend.
GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 »

"No Time to Die"

Very disappointing, especially the ending. 2 stars.

Save your money.
Get most of it right and don't make any big mistakes. All else being equal, simpler is better. Simple is as simple does.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

The classic 1960s movie, The Pawnbroker.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

GaryA505 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:45 pm "No Time to Die"

Save your money.
I have not seen No Time to Die but yours is not the first very negative review I've read. Based on those I have no plans to see it -- not even when it hits streaming.

This saddens me as Bond has been perhaps my favorite movie franchise since the early '60s (almost 6 decades!). Now, apparently, it has been ruined - even destroyed. The Daniel Craig era started out with such promise (Casino Royale) but has been on an ever more rapid decline since then. Seems like it took the final fall with the latest. I just don't want to watch. It might be the first Bond movie I cry at.

My favorite is From Russia With Love. The whole movie really nailed it. Robert Shaw was great and this was long before Jaws.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
billthecat

Post by billthecat »

To Catch a Thief (1955), with Cary Grant and Grace Kelly. Another great oldie! 👍
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Matahari wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:41 pm I remember the Debra Winger "Black Widow" quite well, especially for Teresa Russell's performance. I don't think it was well-reviewed even then, but nonetheless I'll have to look for it for a re-watch. I really like Debra Winger's work.
Winger left Hollywood too soon. Her kick-ass portrayal as FBI agent Alex in "Black Widow" is one of my faves. The movie itself was good until it got dragged down by Sami Frey. What a dismal casting choice.

Edit: My memory is returning... Winger was a DOJ analyst who went into the field, not an FBI agent.
Last edited by roamingzebra on Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

bertilak wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:37 pm This saddens me as Bond has been perhaps my favorite movie franchise since the early '60s (almost 6 decades!). Now, apparently, it has been ruined - even destroyed.
A while ago, I read that James Norton of "Grantchester" and "Happy Valley" was going to be the next Bond. I just checked and that was wrong. He's among 20 or so contenders. Tom Hiddleston from "The Night Manager" is another one under consideration.
Jaymover

Post by Jaymover »

Has anyone seen "A Hidden Life"? Sounds like a classic but strangely I totally missed it
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Just watched "Copenhagen" streaming on Amazon. Very good! It is a dialogue between Bohr and Heisenberg, mainly about Heisenberg's role in the Nazi atomic bomb project. And also about their very different views on physics.

And you get to see a young Daniel Craig explaining the uncertainty principle! And doing a good job of it! Bohr makes a spirited rebuttal, and it's wrong!

This was a play and the adaptation to video is very good. It is great on multiple levels.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bertilak wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:37 pm
GaryA505 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:45 pm "No Time to Die"

Save your money.
I have not seen No Time to Die but yours is not the first very negative review I've read. Based on those I have no plans to see it -- not even when it hits streaming.

This saddens me as Bond has been perhaps my favorite movie franchise since the early '60s (almost 6 decades!). Now, apparently, it has been ruined - even destroyed. The Daniel Craig era started out with such promise (Casino Royale) but has been on an ever more rapid decline since then. Seems like it took the final fall with the latest. I just don't want to watch. It might be the first Bond movie I cry at.

My favorite is From Russia With Love. The whole movie really nailed it. Robert Shaw was great and this was long before Jaws.
I really like Daniel Craig as an actor, most everything outside of James Bond that he has been is has been great so I'm confused as to why his Bond movies have been so mediocre (from really bad to just OK). Didn't bother to see the last one, doubt I'll see this one. My grandfather learned English partly from watching James Bond movies on VHS over and over again in the 80's, and I have fond memories of watching them with him. Sad to see such an iconic character and series just deteriorate.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

roamingzebra wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:53 pm
bertilak wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:37 pm This saddens me as Bond has been perhaps my favorite movie franchise since the early '60s (almost 6 decades!). Now, apparently, it has been ruined - even destroyed.
A while ago, I read that James Norton of "Grantchester" and "Happy Valley" was going to be the next Bond. I just checked and that was wrong. He's among 20 or so contenders. Tom Hiddleston from "The Night Manager" is another one under consideration.
Lol, it would be highly amusing for Loki to become Bond.

There are too many possible candidates…
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

bertilak wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:37 pm
This saddens me as Bond has been perhaps my favorite movie franchise since the early '60s (almost 6 decades!). Now, apparently, it has been ruined - even destroyed. The Daniel Craig era started out with such promise (Casino Royale) but has been on an ever more rapid decline since then.
Bond has changed with the times to compete with Bourne, et al at the box office. Less camp, more gritty, emotionally flawed, more action sequences, etc.

Is it “ruined”? Depends on which generation you are. $880M for Spectre doesn’t seem ruined to me even if I’ve also stopped watching them.

With a reset we may see a less gritty Bond. A younger Bond would facilitate that.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

nigel_ht wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:15 am Bond has changed with the times to compete with Bourne, et al at the box office. Less camp, more gritty, emotionally flawed, more action sequences, etc.
I think the turn towards Bourne was a mistake and they did tone that down from then on. The Bourne style uses the shaky camera technique to mask lack of skill in stunt work and building of suspense. It takes advantage of audience immaturity. Compare it to any of the Indiana Jones action sequences. The final shoot-out scene in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly mixes action, inaction, and suspense to great effect!

Acton without suspense is just noise and visual clutter.

Action can be great. The opening parkour sequence in Casino showed that. But often it simply aims at the lowest common denominator: lack of an attention span. Yes, today's young seem to have that affliction, but an affliction it is, and a sorry one.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

bertilak wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:34 am The Bourne style uses the shaky camera technique to mask lack of skill in stunt work and building of suspense. It takes advantage of audience immaturity. Compare it to any of the Indiana Jones action sequences. The final shoot-out scene in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly mixes action, inaction, and suspense to great effect!

One of the films on my watch list is Hitchcock's "Dial M for Murder" (1954). It's sort of the polar opposite of what you're describing. The entire story takes place on one set, mostly in one room. It's just people talking. No action. None of Hitchcock's trademark chase scenes. Yet the film is a suspense thriller. I'll be interested to see how Hitchcock keeps up the suspense in a single room. He reportedly used a wide variety of camera angles and a darkening of Grace Kelley's wardrobe as the plot thickens among other things.
JPM

Post by JPM »

Deadly Seasons is a French police procedural with Vancouver BC standing in for an unnamed French city. Clever plotting, good eye appeal, fair lead acting and better supporting acting. French with subtitles. The elderly detective commissioner I find a sympathetic character as he struggles to deal with his own life's disappointments and with a supporting staff young enough to be his children. His pretty young detective partner is smart and (more than?) a little crazy. Currently on Amazon Prime.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

My wife wanted to watch The Starling so we did the other night. It’s a comedy drama with Melissa McCarthy, Kevin Kline, Chris O’Dowd, and Timothy Olyphant in a brief part. The movie deals with mental health issues in the aftermath of a child’s death. There’s also a very aggressive bird involved. I thought it was pretty meh with both McCarthy and Kline’s talents wasted.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

roamingzebra wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:49 pm
bertilak wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:34 am The Bourne style uses the shaky camera technique to mask lack of skill in stunt work and building of suspense. It takes advantage of audience immaturity. Compare it to any of the Indiana Jones action sequences. The final shoot-out scene in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly mixes action, inaction, and suspense to great effect!

One of the films on my watch list is Hitchcock's "Dial M for Murder" (1954). It's sort of the polar opposite of what you're describing. The entire story takes place on one set, mostly in one room. It's just people talking. No action. None of Hitchcock's trademark chase scenes. Yet the film is a suspense thriller. I'll be interested to see how Hitchcock keeps up the suspense in a single room. He reportedly used a wide variety of camera angles and a darkening of Grace Kelley's wardrobe as the plot thickens among other things.
You liked "Black Widow" with Debra Winger. :happy
From that and what else you mention, you'll probably enjoy "Dial M for Murder". Yes, much of the movie takes place in one room, and it's well done.
I hadn't noticed Grace Kelly's wardrobe color change, so maybe it's time for us to watch it again and take note of that. :wink:

There was "less action" and it was a bit more subtle than some other movies she was in (and ditto about many other movies, of course), and that was very nice. (But I wouldn't characterize it as absolutely *no* action.)
The casting was also good.

RM