What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas »

tcassette wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:01 pm
Nicolas wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:12 am
tcassette wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:06 am "She-Devils on Wheels" (1968)
Where did you see it?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRem9r ... zGTS_Y5d2g

More trash than your local landfill, but oddly addictive.
Looks like fun, thanks.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

"Every Little Step" (2009), a documentary about the casting of the 2006 Broadway revival of A Chorus Line.

https://www.amazon.com/Every-Little-Ste ... B002SP41ZU

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/movies/12gold.html

Reason I watched: To remind me of the absolute dedication and perseverance artistic performance at this level requires.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

A Rainy Day in New York (2019)
Written/Directed by Woody Allen

Two students from an elite upstate New York school, take a
trip to Manhattan, she to interview a noted filmmaker and
he to have a romantic time (or so he thought) in his hometown.
The plot is all over the place but Allen's typical zany movies,
with a lot of inside jokes, are usually good and I enjoyed this one.
Technically well done with the casting, settings, and music---and
yes, it does rain throughout the movie, again typical Allen.
Viewed on Amazon Prime.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow on DVD, rated PG, 2004, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law. NY City gets attacked by giant robots. A reporter teams up with a pilot to find the source.

Angelina Jolie is also given top billing, but she only played a supporting character. She's perfect for the part, though.

If you like futuristic sci-fi action thrillers from the early 1940's this film is for you. It's like watching a comic book in movie form. Highly entertaining and humorous in parts. I liked it and don't know why IMDb gave it a low rating (6/10).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"Jagged Edge" (1985) - I was looking for a good 80's courtroom drama. This was not it. There was enough suspense to provide some doubt as to the killer, but not enough twists and turns for my taste. (I realize, however, that this movie was considered somewhat revolutionary at the time.) Jeff Bridges and Peter Coyote were good as the accused and the prosecutor, but I didn't particularly care for Glenn Close as the criminal defense lawyer. Her character was too driven by her emotions and not enough lawyering ability shone through.
rvflyer

Post by rvflyer »

In theater only right now. Last week watched " Show Me The Father", a Kendrick brothers movie. Excellent!
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

"Like Father, Like Son" by Hirokazu Koreeda. Two couples discover that their six-year old boys were swapped at birth by a malicious nurse. Complications ensue.

Highly recommended, a subtle script with excellent actors, especially one of the boys.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

A Simple Plan from 1998 with Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton and Bridget Fonda.

Temptation and the tangled web(s) we weave....

ms gamboolgal and I enjoyed this very much.

Do recommend, we would give it a high 8 or maybe a 9....

Roger Ebert review in link
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/a-simple-plan-1998

Trailer follows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TXB2qTJMRE
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Father Moves Mountains on Netflix, SLOW movie anticlimactic ending. Would not recommend.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. Interesting, funny, well acted, really enjoyed it. Lots of violence and profanity.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

vanbogle59 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:49 pm
PhoebeCoco wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:32 pm "CODA" on Apple TV. "CODA" stands for "Child of Deaf Adults", and tells the story of a teen age girl whose father, mother and brother are deaf, but who is drawn to singing. The daughter, being the only hearing person in the family, often needs to translate between her parents and brother, and the hearing community.

Great acting!

Fantastic scenery of Cape Ann, MA, where the family works in the commercial fishing trade.The film is ostensibly set in Gloucester, but my friend who grew up near there says it is actually filmed in Rockport.

We almost, but not quite cried. Highly recommended!
WHAT? You DIDN'T cry?
Oh. I forgot. Neither did I. I just had severe allergies. :wink:

Emilia Jones for the Oscar!
Maybe the whole movie for the Oscar.
I liked “coda” too. Well acted and directed. I found it understated which I really appreciated.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Reminder that the Sopranos prequel movie Many Saints of Newark is now available on HBO Max
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Sixth Sense on DVD, rated PG, Bruce Willis, Haley Joel Osment, 1999. A boy sees things and seeks the help of a child psychologist. This drama / mystery / thriller has a ton of awards and nominations for a reason (not because it's set in my home town of Philadelphia). I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Young Frankenstein (1974, Mel Brooks)

I've lost count of how many times I've seen it since 1974 -- enough so I only watch about every 4 or 5 years now. This time I stumbled across it when I needed about a 5 minute distraction. Watched it all the way through.

This is a nearly perfect comedy, from script to cast to black and white cinematography to musical score to sets to use of original Frankenstein equipment and of course the cast.

A favorite scene: A little girl (HEIDI) is sitting on the edge of a well, tossing flower petals into the well. The monster comes along and watches.
  • HEIDI: Oh dear! ••• No more petals on my pretty little flower. What shall we throw in now?

MONSTER picks up HEIDI, holds her high and ... sets her down on one end of a teeter totter.
    MONSTER sits on other end of the teeter totter and sends HEIDI flying through the air, through a window of her house and safely into her bed where her parents are relieved to see she is not out in the dangerous woods.
P.S. No little girls were harmed in the making of this movie.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:27 am Young Frankenstein (1974, Mel Brooks)

I've lost count of how many times I've seen it since 1974 -- enough so I only watch about every 4 or 5 years now. This time I stumbled across it when I needed about a 5 minute distraction. Watched it all the way through.

This is a nearly perfect comedy, from script to cast to black and white cinematography to musical score to sets to use of original Frankenstein equipment and of course the cast.
. . . .
Young Frankenstein is perennial favorite at our house too. It is permanently on our watch list on Amazon Prime.

Great cast:
Gene Wilder as Dr. Frederick Frankenstein
Peter Boyle as The Monster
Marty Feldman as Igor
Cloris Leachman as Frau Blücher
Teri Garr as Inga
Kenneth Mars as Inspector Kemp
Madeline Kahn as Elizabeth
Michael Fox as Helga's father
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:55 am

. . . .
Young Frankenstein is perennial favorite at our house too. It is permanently on our watch list on Amazon Prime.

Marty Feldman as Igor
Teri Garr as Inga
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:59 am

. . . .

Marty Feldman as Igor
Teri Garr as Inga
I am pretty immature for age 76.

My favorite scene is Terri Garr and Gene Wilder waiting at the door to the castle, talking about great knockers.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:03 am

. . . .

Marty Feldman as Igor
Teri Garr as Inga

My favorite scene is Terri Garr and Gene Wilder waiting at the door to the castle, talking about great knockers.
You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban. (OK, not the same scene, but similar.)
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

pizzy wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:28 pm Reminder that the Sopranos prequel movie Many Saints of Newark is now available on HBO Max
Interesting movie but also disappointing. Unfortunately, they have turned the Soprano franchise into a social justice warrior piece. If this is the future of the franchise, I suspect that many fans will be lost.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"Female Agents" (2008; French w/ English subtitles): "May 1944. A five-woman commando unit parachutes into occupied France on a daring and dangerous mission to protect the secret of the D-Day Landings and eliminate Colonel Heindrich, the head of German counter-intelligence. Starring Sophie Marceau, Deborah François and Julie Depardieu."

A look into a little-known (to me) aspect of the French Resistance by a British covert ops organization known as Special Operations Executive (SOE). A nurse, her brother and four misfit-type women who had nothing to lose make up the team. I'd rate the movie as okay to good despite a lot of unrealistic elements. A ton of violence, the most I've seen in any movie/show for years. Chalk that up to the criticality of the Normandy invasion succeeding.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Cruise wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:45 am
pizzy wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:28 pm Reminder that the Sopranos prequel movie Many Saints of Newark is now available on HBO Max
Interesting movie but also disappointing. Unfortunately, they have turned the Soprano franchise into a social justice warrior piece. If this is the future of the franchise, I suspect that many fans will be lost.
Thanks for the heads-up, sounds like I won't be wasting 2hrs of my time.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Lost Weekend (1945) — Ray Milland, Jane Wyman, directed by Billy Wilder.

A sobering look at the perils of alcohol abuse. Milland plays a failed writer who descends into alcoholism. (Why is it so many stories are about writers?) Well acted, it kept my attention. Winner of multiple Academy Awards. Ray Milland was warned it would be the end of his career, it had the opposite effect. I did wonder why Jane Wyman’s character put up with that of Milland’s. Recommended. We watched a DVD copy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037884/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Just finished watching a documentary, My Name is Salt on IMDb TV.

From the film's website:

"...Year after year, for an endless eight months, thousands of families move to a desert in India to extract salt from the burning earth. Every monsoon their salt fields are washed away, as the desert turns into sea. And still they return, striving to make the whitest salt in the world..."

I am always interested in learning something. I had zero knowledge of this activity, and those participating in the activity. So, I learned something.

Probably will have a hard time working my new-found knowledge into a conversation with anyone, but that's OK. :D

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

. . . .

Marty Feldman as Igor
Teri Garr as Inga

IIRC, Gene says, "Great knockers!" about the doors themselves. Terri demurely replies to a perceived compliment to her, "Thank you." Or something like that.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:14 pm Kate on Netflix, rated R, 2021, Woody Harrelson, Mary Elizabeth Winstead. A female assassin has 24 hours to get revenge. Lots of suspense and action, creative fighting scenes (like Kill Bill). I liked it.
Several years ago I watched the first John Wick movie after hearing much talk about it. Sometime after I saw a comment about how many people he kills in the movie. I did not watch the sequels, but did check on google:

John Wick's kill count in the first three movies:
77 - John Wick
128 - John Wick Chapter 2
94 - John Wick 3: Parabellum

Well, last night I watched Kate on Netflix. Is there a site that tallies movie kills by an individual? I couldn't find one, but believe Kate may top Wick's 3 movie total.

I did enjoy the Tokyo cinematography. Kate herself is near indestructible. (possible spoiler removed).
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

When I returned from a 2 year stint in peace corps Marshall Islands, I went to see Young Frankenstein. I absolutely hated it. This surprised and frankly scared me a bit. The two years had changed me. Last week I watched one of my favorite comedies, Blazing Saddles, with my Chinese wife. She was not impressed. What was once hilarious was offensive now. I just checked, ANIMAL HOUSE, out of the library. I’m wondering what will be my reaction this time.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

AlohaBill wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:37 pm When I returned from a 2 year stint in peace corps Marshall Islands, I went to see Young Frankenstein. I absolutely hated it. This surprised and frankly scared me a bit. The two years had changed me. Last week I watched one of my favorite comedies, Blazing Saddles, with my Chinese wife. She was not impressed. What was once hilarious was offensive now. I just checked, ANIMAL HOUSE, out of the library. I’m wondering what will be my reaction this time.
I still think that Animal House is the best comedy movie of all time. It is gross, disgusting and juvenile.

I am still pretty immature at age 76.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Black Widow (2021)
Disney Plus (available without premium access yesterday)
Back story for the Widow was interesting, some awesome fight sequences, though some of the humor and plot was contrived.
Still, great to have another Avenger movie. :beer
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:29 pm

. . . .

Marty Feldman as Igor
Teri Garr as Inga

IIRC, Gene says, "Great knockers!" about the doors themselves. Terri demurely replies to a perceived compliment to her, "Thank you." Or something like that.
Come on. You can't not LOL at...
"GIVE HIM A SEDAGIVE??!"
or
"Abby Something" "Abby Who?" "Abby Normal"
or
"Werewolf" "Werewolf?" "There wolf, there castle"

RIP, the great Marty Feldman.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

tenkuky wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:53 pm

Marty Feldman as Igor
Teri Garr as Inga

"GIVE HIM A SEDAGIVE??!"
or
or

Love it, especially the "Great knockers" and "Abby Normal"!
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:14 pm

"GIVE HIM A SEDAGIVE??!"
or
or

"You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump."
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

Just finished watching ANIMAL HOUSE. I laughed again, but not as hard as back in the day. Unfortunately, a lot of water has passed under my bridge. Young Frankenstein is next on my list followed by Airplane.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

vanbogle59 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:08 pm

"GIVE HIM A SEDAGIVE??!"
or
or

"You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump."
While watching several of the clips from Young Frankenstein you mention on YouTube it hit me that these are all old movies. Has life changes so much that I can't recall similar comedies in recent years. I googled Best Comedy Movies of (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018). Sadly I haven't even heard of almost all of them.

I went back to the thread Funniest Movies of all Time ... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32317&start=250

I don't see many recent years' movies mentioned.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

The following 2 X movies were Bad. As in really, really bad.

On the Dud scale - ms gamboolgal and I give them strong 8 to 9 rating.

Sorry to say, we endeavored to persevere and endured them both in their entirety.

Do not recommend.

Apache Junction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU9rI0DFS4Y

The Survivalist: this one was so bad, that I found myself unable to quit watching it - as it was just so bad..... I could not quit watching it....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgFjh-N6MuQ&t=12s
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

We just watched The Conservation Game. An amazing documentary about how on air personalities, like Jack Hannah, acquire (and then dispose of) the large cats they used on TV. In part, this film is what recently led to the Columbus Zoo losing its AZA accreditation. Shockingly sad but really well done film.

https://www.theconservationgame.com/
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

heartwood wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:13 pm
vanbogle59 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:08 pm
"GIVE HIM A SEDAGIVE??!"
or
or

While watching several of the clips from Young Frankenstein you mention on YouTube it hit me that these are all old movies. Has life changes so much that I can't recall similar comedies in recent years. I googled Best Comedy Movies of (2021, 2020, 2019, 2018). Sadly I haven't even heard of almost all of them.

I went back to the thread Funniest Movies of all Time ... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32317&start=250

I don't see many recent years' movies mentioned.
Because we are old. :beer
I can't stand what my children choose as a funny movie.
And they think mine are stoooopid.

So we watch the Avengers! :sharebeer
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:45 pm
AlohaBill wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:37 pm When I returned from a 2 year stint in peace corps Marshall Islands, I went to see Young Frankenstein. I absolutely hated it. This surprised and frankly scared me a bit. The two years had changed me. Last week I watched one of my favorite comedies, Blazing Saddles, with my Chinese wife. She was not impressed. What was once hilarious was offensive now. I just checked, ANIMAL HOUSE, out of the library. I’m wondering what will be my reaction this time.
I still think that Animal House is the best comedy movie of all time. It is gross, disgusting and juvenile.

Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are classics. Still hilarious. As is Animal House. The Hangover and There's Something About Mary are right up there, too, IMO.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

MDfan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:36 pm There's Something About Mary
Remember the dog?

Back in the day, the local Blockbuster had one of those for sale. I should have bought it!

I just checked. There are a bunch of them on eBay, most for under $20. One if them even says it is a "Blockbuster Exclusive." I guess I'm not very sorry I passed it up as none of those on eBay tempted me.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

bertilak wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:49 pm
Remember the dog?

Back in the day, the local Blockbuster had one of those for sale. I should have bought it!

I just checked. There are a bunch of them on eBay, most for under $20. One if them even says it is a "Blockbuster Exclusive." I guess I'm not very sorry I passed it up as none of those on eBay tempted me.
The scenes with the dog and Matt Dillon and Ben Stiller are classics.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

MDfan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:05 pm
bertilak wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:49 pm
Remember the dog?

The scenes with the dog and Matt Dillon and Ben Stiller are classics.
Brett Favre
Frank’n’Beans
Priceless😂
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

MDfan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:36 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:45 pm

Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are classics. Still hilarious. As is Animal House. The Hangover and There's Something About Mary are right up there, too, IMO.
My top five:
1) Animal House
2) A Shot in the Dark
3) Young Frankenstein
4) There's Something about Mary
5) Planes, Trains and Automobiles
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is for a single movie that you just watched. Let's continue the list here: Funniest movies of all time? Name five of your favorites...
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Indiscrete, on Amazon Prime.

This is a 1958 classic, a different sort of romantic comedy for grown-ups starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman.

Recommended.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:52 am Indiscrete, on Amazon Prime.

This is a 1958 classic, a different sort of romantic comedy for grown-ups starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman.

Recommended.
That's the movie about tiny blobs stuck together? :wink:

Cary Grant & Ingrid Bergman: "Indiscreet"

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Colony” on Tubi. Not bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colony_(2013_film)

💪
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:24 pm

Recommended.

RM
I hate autocorrect :?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:37 pm

Recommended.

RM
Yeah... It can really change things, sometimes in really unfortunate ways...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"The Color of Paradise" (1999, Farsi, English subtitles) "The story of Mohammed, a blind Iranian boy and his father, Hashem, who is always oscillating between accepting his son as he is and abandoning him, as he represents a burden for him, after the loss of his wife."

Mohammed is a gentle soul whose face is loved by the camera. He is adored by his little sisters and extended family. It is only the self-pitying father who is ashamed of Mohammed and wants to pawn him off on someone else.

The lush, green valleys of the Iranian countryside along with the birdsong and nature sounds provide a beautiful backdrop. Highly recommended.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:58 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:37 pm

Recommended.

RM
Yeah... It can really change things, sometimes in really unfortunate ways...

RM
I usually post on a tablet.

The question is then -- a fat-finger issue versus autocorrect strikes again? That question may be insoluble :? .
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Alice in Wonderland on DVD, rated PG, 2010, Johnny Depp, Crispin Glover, directed by Tim Burton, Disney production. An interesting twist to the classic story that only Tim Burton can do. I liked it.