What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sycamore

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by sycamore »

Blues wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:37 pm
amceagle wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:58 pm The 39 Steps. Freaking classic.

I still rent my DVDs from Netflix :)
One of my old favorites. (The book as well.)
Thanks for the suggestion. I watched and liked the 1935 Alfred Hitchcock version. Apparently there are four other versions, set in different times/places.

I watched it on Amazon Prime after enabling a free 1 week subscription to the Fandor channel. I looked over their other offerings and didn't find anything of interest; mostly B movies and such. I'll be canceling the subscription.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Six Minutes to Midnight
(2020, released in U.S. 2021)

A stately mansion, near an English seaside town, has been converted into
a finishing school for German girls seeking to be proficient in the English
language. The time setting is August 1939 in the days before the German
invasion of Poland which triggered the entry of Britain into WWII.
The school is a focal point for intelligence agents and mixed loyalties
during this time period. I loved the setting and atmosphere for the film, it
added a brooding and intriguing nuance to the story. Viewed on Amazon Prime.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Sherlock and the Case of the Silk Stocking, on Amazon Prime and Britbox.

Holmes and Watson search for the serial killer of upper class teenage girls. This 2004 movie is not based on anything by Conan Doyle, but still recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

wilson08 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:32 pm Six Minutes to Midnight

Is this available on some streaming service?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

bertilak wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:53 pm
wilson08 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:32 pm Six Minutes to Midnight

Is this available on some streaming service?
See bold above.
telemark

Post by telemark »

The Net (1995), on Netflix, starring Sandra Bullock. If someone had not said "let's squeeze in as many scenes from old Hitchcock movies as we possibly can", this might be a better movie, or at least a less predictable one. But it's still pretty good.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Worth (2020), recently available on Netflix.

The film portrays Kenneth Feinberg and his team's work in the 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund. There are, of course, fictionalized aspects to the portrayal but the film was well done. I cannot imagine the difficulty of listening to and handling the searing pain of others as part of one's occupation and I am grateful there are those who can and do.

An interview with the director can be found here:
https://www.npr.org/2021/09/05/10344944 ... 9-11-drama
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Watched 2017 version of Papillon. Hulu I think. Not bad. I don't remember enough of the 70s version to compare it.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Blood Red Sky on Netflix streaming. I can't really describe what I liked without giving major spoilers, but I was entertained the entire time and will add this to my usual October movie lineup. I will strongly suggest watching it in the original German with English subtitles - the English dub was so bad it was distracting. Fresh take on my favorite movie monster!
Last edited by Elsebet on Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Rocket Man.

Elton John's life story and his struggles with the drugs, alcohol and living the celebrity life.

Good movie.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Kate on Netflix, rated R, 2021, Woody Harrelson, Mary Elizabeth Winstead. A female assassin has 24 hours to get revenge. Lots of suspense and action, creative fighting scenes (like Kill Bill). I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Just watch Charlie Sheen in 9/11 on Tubi for the first time.

No words can express.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11_(2017_film)
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"The Lives of Others" (2006) (German with English subtitles) "In 1984 East Berlin, an agent of the secret police, conducting surveillance on a writer and his lover, finds himself becoming increasingly absorbed by their lives."

We have all seen East German police-state films and know how oppressive it was back then. And we all intuitively know that surveillance of any kind can get somewhat voyeuristic. But what made this film unique to me is that near the end it jumped in time to Berlin after the fall of the Wall, and there was a brief continuation of the story with a truly memorable ending.

Note that the pacing of the film is a bit slow and the tone quiet and understated. I nodded off a few times -- something I also did recently during a Czech Cold War drama. I guess there's something about Cold War East European film aesthetics... But don't let that deter you; just have the caffeine available if you're vulnerable to nodding off during quiet movies.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

An Unfinished Life on Netflix. The main characters are Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman, Jennfer Lopez, and Bart the Bear. Jennifer Lopez' character moves in with her father in law (Robert Redford) to escape an abusive relationship. If you like small towns and old pickups, you'll like the movie. The best scenes were with Robert Redford and Morgan Freeman. I liked the movie.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sideways on Amazon Prime, rated R, 2004. A divorced wine critic takes his best buddy who's about to be married on a one week tour in wine country (California). This film is categorized as comedy, drama, and romance. I'd call it a dark comedy that gets dramatic. Well produced with a plot that keeps you interested. I liked it.

Update: I forgot to add that if you know wines, there are numerous of one-liners that take mild stabs at those who are not familiar with wines.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

"Dolores Claiborne" (1995)

A big city reporter travels to a small town where her mother has been arrested for the murder of an elderly woman for whom she worked as a housekeeper.

Stars:
Kathy Bates, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Christopher Plummer

I really enjoyed this. Excellent acting.

Watched on Kanopy (local library streaming service). IMDb 7.4

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109642/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:25 pm "Dolores Claiborne" (1995)

A big city reporter travels to a small town where her mother has been arrested for the murder of an elderly woman for whom she worked as a housekeeper.

Stars:

That sounds interesting.

A question: I see it's an adaptation of a Stephen King novel. I've resisted reading anything by him since I equate him with horror and the supernatural. If this film is simply a crime drama (perhaps with elements of brutality or psychological intrigue), I'd be up for it. If it's horror and/or supernatural, I'd rather skip. This is how Wikipedia describes horror: "Horror is a genre of speculative fiction which is intended to frighten, scare, or disgust."

I know there are fine lines here. I've watched a lot of shows/movies about serial killers, for example, but the emphasis there is more on viewing them from a clinical perspective (e.g., the point of view of FBI profilers) rather than concentrating on how scary or disgusting they are.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:55 pm

Stars:

That sounds interesting.

A question: I see it's an adaptation of a Stephen King novel. I've resisted reading anything by him since I equate him with horror and the supernatural. If this film is simply a crime drama (perhaps with elements of brutality or psychological intrigue), I'd be up for it. If it's horror and/or supernatural, I'd rather skip. This is how Wikipedia describes horror: "Horror is a genre of speculative fiction which is intended to frighten, scare, or disgust."

I know there are fine lines here. I've watched a lot of shows/movies about serial killers, for example, but the emphasis there is more on viewing them from a clinical perspective (e.g., the point of view of FBI profilers) rather than concentrating on how scary or disgusting they are.
I did see it was a an adaptation of a Stephen King novel but I actually have never read any of his books. It didn't have any "supernatural" aspects that I recall and not too much that I would consider scary/horror. It was more psychologically "scary" to me vs. bloody etc. I don't care for the "horror" genre myself.

"Misery" was also good but I liked this movie better than "Misery", which also starred Kathy Bates FWIW (another Stephen King adaptation I just noticed on IMDb).

In terms of the FBI profilers comment, I love "Criminal Minds". I also like the "Forensic Files" re-runs (not movies but genre comment).
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Fracture (2007) on HBO Max.
and here: https://www.amazon.com/Fracture-Anthony ... B000YAFE0M

A thriller with a younger Ryan Gosling and Rosamund Pike, with Anthony Hopkins as someone who believes he has planned the perfect murder. Set in L.A., so there is a noir-ish atmosphere. I prefer to know as little as possible about a film, so I'll stop there. Highly recommended.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:43 pm I did see it was a an adaptation of a Stephen King novel but I actually have never read any of his books. It didn't have any "supernatural" aspects that I recall and not too much that I would consider scary/horror. It was more psychologically "scary" to me vs. bloody etc. I don't care for the "horror" genre myself.
Okay, good.
"Misery" was also good but I liked this movie better than "Misery", which also starred Kathy Bates FWIW (another Stephen King adaptation I just noticed on IMDb).

In terms of the FBI profilers comment, I love "Criminal Minds". I also like the "Forensic Files" re-runs (not movies but genre comment).
Okay, we're on the same page then. I like both "Criminal Minds" and the "Forensic Files". Thanks.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:43 pm
roamingzebra wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:55 pm

Stars:

That sounds interesting.

I did see it was a an adaptation of a Stephen King novel but I actually have never read any of his books. It didn't have any "supernatural" aspects that I recall and not too much that I would consider scary/horror. It was more psychologically "scary" to me vs. bloody etc. I don't care for the "horror" genre myself.

"The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" is another Stephen King novel that is not really horror. They are apparently making it into a movie now. It's a short novel that is written with succinct prose, every sentence meaningful in advancing the story. I hope the movie is similarly chock full.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:54 am Sideways on Amazon Prime, rated R, 2004. A divorced wine critic takes his best buddy who's about to be married on a one week tour in wine country (California). This film is categorized as comedy, drama, and romance. I'd call it a dark comedy that gets dramatic. Well produced with a plot that keeps you interested. I liked it.

Update: I forgot to add that if you know wines, there are numerous of one-liners that take mild stabs at those who are not familiar with wines.
I saw this movie several years ago and remember the great acting
by Paul Giamatti. There was one heartrending part I will never forget
when he met up with his ex and you could see and feel the regret he
had for letting her go. Two other good Giamatti movies
were American Splendor(2003) and Win Win (2011).
alexander29

Post by alexander29 »

"Come From Away" on Apple TV. The Broadway production of a Canadian musical about what happened when 38 jets were diverted to Gander, Newfoundland, on 9-11. Funny, sad, heartfelt, marvelous acting, and an uplifting contrast to gloomy 9-11 documentaries: Most people are good. It's a true story, too.
Lambert Strether

Post by Lambert Strether »

On 9/11, I wanted something to cheer me up, and the screwball comedy What's Up, Doc? (streaming HBOMax) was perfect. The next day I watched the less cheery Cabaret (same source). Both films from 1972 have held up rather well, IMO.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

alexander29 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:41 pm "Come From Away" on Apple TV. The Broadway production of a Canadian musical about what happened when 38 jets were diverted to Gander, Newfoundland, on 9-11. Funny, sad, heartfelt, marvelous acting, and an uplifting contrast to gloomy 9-11 documentaries: Most people are good. It's a true story, too.
There has recently been more discussion of a couple who met in Gander on 9-11.
They were on the same flight, London to Texas; he was from London and she was from Texas.
They met when they coincidentally ended up at the same shelter that the Gander residents set up for the "plane people".
After a few days together, they seem to have bonded, and exchanged contact information.
A year later, they got married, and later had a wedding reception in Gander.
They just celebrated their 19th anniversary.

It was nice to read something heartwarming about such a devastating time.
I haven't yet seen "Come From Away", but my understanding is that they are featured there.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/nick ... index.html

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Shang-Chi. I'm not a Marvel aficionado, but this is a very fun movie.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Watched these on Netflix streaming:

Bright Star - sappy romantic drama about poet John Keats, great acting, costumes, and production value. Overall a good movie, just not my favorite genre.

The Blue Lagoon - stars a very, very young Brooke Shields. Kind of a silly movie but in my opinion not as terrible as the ratings it was given. Beautiful scenery!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Again, it's possible this movie has been brought up before...

But for those who like British mystery plays, "An Inspector Calls" (2015) is just the ticket:

https://www.amazon.com/Inspector-Calls- ... B07CHQBF2R

One can discuss at length any number of issues this film raises about morality and social conscience that applied then and are, obviously, still applicable now. Dramatic irony permeates the film because we know what will befall the U.K. and Europe in a couple of years after the events in the story. The cinematic lighting was fantastic as well, spotlighting the characters' lavish dress and lifestyle while showing them swimming in blackness.
telemark

Post by telemark »

The Big Friendly Giant on Netflix. Excellent casting all around, though the cat could use more screen time.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Matahari wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:47 pm Again, it's possible this movie has been brought up before...

But for those who like British mystery plays, "An Inspector Calls" (2015) is just the ticket:

One can discuss at length any number of issues this film raises about morality and social conscience that applied then and are, obviously, still applicable now. Dramatic irony permeates the film because we know what will befall the U.K. and Europe in a couple of years after the events in the story. The cinematic lighting was fantastic as well, spotlighting the characters' lavish dress and lifestyle while showing them swimming in blackness.
I too was impressed with this show. The part of the inspector is key and is well played by David Thewlis.

There is 1954 version with Alistair Sim as the inspector. I have not seen it but Sim probably knocks it out of the park! (like everything he does)
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:01 pm
Matahari wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:47 pm Again, it's possible this movie has been brought up before...

I too was impressed with this show. The part of the inspector is key and is well played by David Thewlis.

There is 1954 version with Alistair Sim as the inspector. I have not seen it but Sim probably knocks it out of the park! (like everything he does)
In my opinion An Inspector Calls is an excellent movie, I also recommend it.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

The Killing of a Sacred Deer:

The story is based on the ancient Greek tragedy Iphigenia at Aulis by Euripides. The film follows a cardiac surgeon (Farrell) who secretly befriends a teenage boy (Keoghan) with a connection to his past. He introduces the boy to his family, who begin to fall mysteriously ill.

WOW WOW WOW - freaky movie, at first I couldn't watch anymore, DW continued I was just in den reading, listening. Well i started to watch and it is just a weird good movie.

There is an Oscar winner and you get to see Nicole Kidman naked :D what more could you ask!
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Dirty Work (1998). Classic Norm Macdonald comedy.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Guilty pleasure film...
"Gotcha!" (1985) - Anthony Edwards, Linda Fiorentino.
A very YOUNG Anthony Edwards (Dr. Green of ER back when he had hair) plays a socially awkward college student who goes to Europe on vacation. He is seduced by "Sasha", played by sexy Linda Fiorentino with a captivatingly bad East European accent. They enjoy each other and Europe. Suddenly she asks him to come with her to East Berlin. That's where the adventure begins.
The film is a lot of fun, with some very humorous moments, and yet there is also action and suspense.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Maggie” with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Enjoyed it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_(film)

💪
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

bertilak wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:01 pm

Thanks for the information. When I feel the need to watch "A Christmas Carol," it's Alistair Sim's portrayal that I watch. Imagine Professor Lupin taking over a role first filmed by Scrooge!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Matahari wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:52 pm When I feel the need to watch "A Christmas Carol," it's Alistair Sim's portrayal that I watch.
I prefer George C. Scott in that role.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Personal Property (1937) Jean Harlow, Robt. Taylor, Reginald Owen

Raymond Dabney (Taylor) returns to his family after trouble with the law. He convinces the sheriff to give him a job watching the house and furniture of widow Crystal Wetherby (Harlow) without knowing she is engaged to his brother (Owen). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029395/pl ... _=tt_ov_pl

One of Harlow’s best roles and most comedic films, and her last film to be released in her lifetime. She died during the shooting of her next film. Recommended. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:54 am Sideways on Amazon Prime, rated R, 2004. A divorced wine critic takes his best buddy who's about to be married on a one week tour in wine country (California). This film is categorized as comedy, drama, and romance. I'd call it a dark comedy that gets dramatic. Well produced with a plot that keeps you interested. I liked it.

This is a really good movie. I think it is the one that really put Paul Giamatti (John Adams, Billions) on the map. Numerous other notable actors.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:37 pm
Matahari wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:52 pm When I feel the need to watch "A Christmas Carol," it's Alistair Sim's portrayal that I watch.
I prefer George C. Scott in that role.
Have seen that also. Different strokes. :happy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

market timer wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:00 pm The Handmaiden. A Korean film from the director of Oldboy, one of my favorite films of all time. This is so far my favorite film from 2016. It's an erotic psychological thriller set during the Japanese occupation of Korea.
The Handmaiden, free on Amazon Prime in 4K Ultra HD (UHD), unrated, 2016, Korean and some Japanese. I agree, it's excellent. The plot is complex and has your attention to the very end.

If you like this type of movie and have a high-definition home theater, watch it in UHD.

Just be aware that the movie is unrated, meaning that it is intended for adults-only and can include subject matter that is rated R with some violence.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:55 am
market timer wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:00 pm The Handmaiden. A Korean film from the director of Oldboy, one of my favorite films of all time. This is so far my favorite film from 2016. It's an erotic psychological thriller set during the Japanese occupation of Korea.
The Handmaiden, free on Amazon Prime in 4K Ultra HD (UHD), unrated, 2016, Korean and some Japanese. I agree, it's excellent. The plot is complex and has your attention to the very end.

If you like this type of movie and have a high-definition home theater, watch it in UHD.

Just be aware that the movie is unrated, meaning that it is intended for adults-only and can include subject matter that is rated R with some violence.
I also endorse this film. It is stunning!
I don't know if the version that is on Amazon Prime distinguishes when one of the main characters speaks Korean and when they speak Japanese with different colored subtitles. If so, it is worth paying attention to the distinction.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes, the Amazon Prime version uses white subtitles for Korean, yellow for Japanese.

I should clarify that the film's "unrated" rating is not for violence, but for perhaps a few scenes near the end of the movie that may be uncomfortable to watch. NC-17 might be appropriate for the rest of the movie.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Good Bye Lenin! - German with English subtitles. A dark comedy, a woman comes out of a coma shortly after East Germany collapses. She's a dedicated Communist so her son to keep her from learning that her world has fallen apart.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

The Yakuza with Robert Mitchum and Ken Takakura from 1975, directed by Sidney Pollack.

Do recommend.

1975 review by Roger Ebert
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-yakuza-1975

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1lQd2lz7n8
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

"She-Devils on Wheels" (1968)
ALinLI

Post by ALinLI »

Safe House. Good action movie with Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds. Suspenseful and full of action
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

tcassette wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:06 am "She-Devils on Wheels" (1968)
Where did you see it?
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Never Look Away about artist Gerhard Richter. I’d give it a 7.75 out of ten.
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:12 am
tcassette wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:06 am "She-Devils on Wheels" (1968)
Where did you see it?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRem9r ... zGTS_Y5d2g

More trash than your local landfill, but oddly addictive.