What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Matahari

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Matahari »

The Dry (2020), starring Eric Bana. Mystery thriller, based on a bestselling novel, with which I was not familiar. Highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Eric-Bana/dp/B094PWX86T
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Warrior (2011). Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton, Nick Nolte. Family father/son melodrama wrapped into a sports movie package. I thought it was terrific. Hardy, Edgerton, and Nolte are fantastic. You want everyone to come out a winner.
Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 »

The Father with Anthony Hopkins as the father whose dementia has taken over his life.

Sobering. There is so much we don't understand about the disease.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Sloane on Netflix is very good. Jessica Chastain stars in a suspense drama.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Donovan's Reef

I was aware of this movie for years but never watched it
from beginning to end until recently. Typical John Wayne
and John Ford fare, e.g., the obligatory barroom brawl(s)
and of course the inevitable accidental plunge and splash
if someone was near water, but all in all a nice movie.
Glaring 1960s technicolor, the melody of Pearly Shells, and
a touching story of a scattered family reunited.
The setting was suppose to be French Polynesia but the movie
was shot in Hawaii----beautiful nonetheless.
Viewed on Amazon Prime.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Non-Stop” with Leam Neeson on Hulu. Enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Stop_(film)
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Cruise wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:23 pm "The Departed," staring Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Alec Baldwin, Mark Wahlberg, Anthony Anderson, and Vera Farmiga. On Netflix.

This multiple-Oscar film is about cops, both mob-upped ones and the ones that seek to uncover them. Excellent.
The Departed on Netflix, rated R, 2006. What Cruise said. Two words: Jack Nicholson.

Heads up: The last day to watch this on Netflix is August 31.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

doobiedoo wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:36 am Sloane on Netflix is very good. Jessica Chastain stars in a suspense drama.
Yes, agreed! I love JC in anything and just saw it this week, very enjoyable.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

"Sweet Girl" on Netflix. If you think an action movie starring Jason Momoa as a man vowing to get redemption on a pharmaceutical company whose greed blocked his wife from getting possibly life-saving medication sounds bad, don't worry, it's much worse than it sounds. Wife and I just wanted dumb action for 2hrs, as the in-laws took our kids; we got that in spades. Shockingly bad film.
wm631

Post by wm631 »

"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" (2011)

If you don't want (or, have the time) to get through John Le Carre's dense and detailed espionage novels, this is a good way to substitute. (Another excellent choice is Martin Ritt's "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold", with Richard Burton)

Yes, there was a much-regarded earlier B.B.C. mini-series with Alec Guinness, but it's not easily available for streaming. This version was an admirable master acting class by several well-known British veterans, including Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, John Hurt and Toby Jones. It's Oldman's best performance but, really, there's not a false moment in any of them including a young up and comer named Benedict Cumberbatch. A pleasant surprise that I off-handedly added to my DVR recently from TCM, expecting to only watch for about 15 minutes. I stayed absorbed for the whole 2+ hours.
Last edited by wm631 on Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:47 am "Sweet Girl" on Netflix. If you think an action movie starring Jason Momoa as a man vowing to get redemption on a pharmaceutical company whose greed blocked his wife from getting possibly life-saving medication sounds bad, don't worry, it's much worse than it sounds. Wife and I just wanted dumb action for 2hrs, as the in-laws took our kids; we got that in spades. Shockingly bad film.
I also watched this unfortunately.
Probably the dumbest twist I have ever seen in a movie.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

I watched The Outpost on Netflix. Gives you some insight into the mistakes we made in Afganistan.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3833480/
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"The Year of Living Dangerously" (1982). Peter Weir film. An Aussie correspondent confronts moral choices during a period of political turmoil in 1965 Indonesia. Film has a lush atmosphere, attractive leads -- a very YOUNG Mel Gibson and Sigourney Weaver -- and there is that strange little male photographer in the tropical shirt played by Linda Hunt. Hunt, BTW, won an Oscar for her performance in a male role.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

jibantik wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:47 pm
mhalley wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 pm The Green Knight in the theater. Getting great reviews on RT, but I thought it was horrible. Depressing, unlikeable characters,”artsy” at the expense of a good movie imho.
jjunk wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:02 pm Just reupped my AMC A-List so I've been on a bit of a bender the last two weeks between my prior credits and my three movies/week:
2. The Green Knight: most disappointing film I've seen in a while mostly because I love the original prose but this movie was just bad.
For the people who didn't like The Green Knight, did you finish the entire movie? At the end I started to hate it, almost would have shut it off if I wasn't watching it with other people, but ultimately I thought the ending was awesome, really redeemed itself.
In my case, yes, I stayed and watched the entire thing. I thought the ending was fine but it didn't redeem the movie for me. There just seemed to be a lot of wasted talent here.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

The Night House - I didn't enjoy this movie at all but the others who saw it loved it. Felt like an even worse take on the Invisible Man movie from a few years ago

The Protégé - this was just ok, action sequences made up for a pretty lazy story

Reminiscence - this movie had a lot of potential and the cinematography was very well done but its a very average movie for such great talent

Candyman - I thought this was pretty good. The director did a good job of taking an "old" horror movie and putting a modern spin on it. If you like slasher flicks, I'd check it out
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Cruella on Disney+. Surprisingly good -- Emma Stone is always one of my favorites!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Blue Ruin on Netflix blu-ray. Quentin Terentino mentioned it when he was on Joe Rogan so I watched it. It was really good! Very dark, violent, and bloody though for those who are sensitive to that. I will be buying a copy of this to watch again.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Grandmother's House

Watchable horror film that starts out pretty good but falls apart at the end. It was directed by the writer for Waterworld. If you liked the bungee jump scene from that film, you might like the last third of this film. It's like a bunch of people sat around and repeatedly said "What else can we throw in that the kids might like?" without thinking it all through.

Interesting setting in a California orange grove, with a nice old farmhouse and some interesting old cars. It features Len Lesser (Uncle Leo from Seinfeld) in a starring role. He takes a quart of dill pickles to a swim meet as a snack. :P
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Take Shelter, 2011. Either Amazon or Hulu. Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain. Very good, sleeper of a movie. Fairly low budget. Working class guy (Shannon) battles mental illness. Very much recommend. After its over you may find you want to Google more on the ending.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

I don't know if this film has been previously mentioned in this long thread, but we watched "The Aeronauts" (2019) last night not knowing what to expect and enjoyed it tremendously.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeronauts-Felici ... B08CS5C6MB

The film reunites Felicity Jones and Eddie Redmayne (costars in "The Theory of Everything"). The film is a semi-fictionalized account, so suspension of disbelief is required. Watch on your largest screen possible because the production values are great and the images stunning.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

jjunk wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:04 pm
Reminiscence - this movie had a lot of potential and the cinematography was very well done but its a very average movie for such great talent
We felt the same about "Reminiscence"; it could have been a better film if the makers had just tweaked various parts of the plot, among other things. Mixing noir and sci-fi into a mystery thriller was a tall challenge. I also kept trying to see if I could recognize landmarks of the drowned city in question....
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Tarzan the Ape Man
Carefree
Guess Who Is Coming To Dinner

I love TCM
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

pezblanco wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:51 pm Enola Holmes ... I think it is waaaay overrated. The actress Millie Bobbie Brown is appealing and very very good but a weak story line and the pseudo feminist awareness didn't really give her much worthwhile material to work with. I would rate it 3 out of 5.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things ... is one of the most intellectually stimulating films I've seen in a long time. I won't say it is satisfying or easy to understand but its challenging and absolutely spell binding. I would rate it 4.5 out of 5.
I thought Enola's character was appealing, and sometimes I, as a pseudo female, like a bit of revisionist history. I found it entertaining in a movie that is mostly based on a series of novels in which males had all the adventures and females served them food and tidied up after them. Bridgerton portrays more Blacks in positions of nobility than occurred in reality, but I found the irony both entertaining and poignant.

But fiction is, well, fictional. There are no actual Lilliputians in real life, only figuratively.

Most recently I enjoyed The Dig on Netflix.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

I saw Werewolves Within last night. Fun movie, I didn't expect too much from it, and I would have expected even less if I had known it was based on a video game. Don't go in expecting a horror movie, though -- it's a comedy with horror elements.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut

A science fiction dystopia starring Robert Duvall, with Donald Pleasance, and with Martin Scorsese as Executive Producer (Lucas's first big break!). I recorded it from TCM last year, but I just got around to it recently. I'd seen the movie twice before, about 20 and 35 years ago.

The director's cut version is edited to make it easier to follow, and with a bit more action/less weirdness to keep the viewer engaged. It adds some digital visual effects that were not available in 1970 when it was originally filmed. A few of those effects help the viewer to understand the plot, but most are just minor window dressing. Youtube has the director's commentary soundtrack available, which I think will be interesting to listen to.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Labyrinth, which is back on Netflix. It holds up surprisingly well.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

300 on DVD, 2006, rated R. A force of 300 Spartans fight the Persians. It's a continual battle of who can say the most cliche phrases as dramatically as possible. I liked it better the first time around. Meh.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
billthecat

Post by billthecat »

tooluser wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:31 pm THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut

A science fiction dystopia starring Robert Duvall, with Donald Pleasance, and with Martin Scorsese as Executive Producer (Lucas's first big break!). I recorded it from TCM last year, but I just got around to it recently. I'd seen the movie twice before, about 20 and 35 years ago.

The director's cut version is edited to make it easier to follow, and with a bit more action/less weirdness to keep the viewer engaged. It adds some digital visual effects that were not available in 1970 when it was originally filmed. A few of those effects help the viewer to understand the plot, but most are just minor window dressing. Youtube has the director's commentary soundtrack available, which I think will be interesting to listen to.
I've always wondered if the person who trips on the pipe sticking out in the middle of the floor while getting a tour of the control room was intentional or accidental. Maybe that's part of the dystopia - random stuff like that in everyone's lives to trip them up, literally and figuratively?

Also, how long until we're all walking around with a drip attached to our arm dispensing a "vaccine" continuously?
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • It's later than you think • Ack! Thbbft!
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Stillwater (2021).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... cf_strg_wb

We watched without caring about the connection to real-world events and enjoyed the film as a whodunit. Just when one might expect that Matt Damon would turn into Jason Bourne, the movie stays with a more realistic characterization. One might initially think "Stillwater" refers to the place in OK where the main character is from, but the word becomes a figurative and a literal reference as the movie unfolds. Nicely done.
Case59

Post by Case59 »

Shang Chi and the Ten Rings. Certainly better than the average super-hero movie, and it has sort of a Black Panther vibe in that it successfully integrates elements from Chinese culture, landscape, and mythology. It also sports an award-worthy performance by Hong Kong legend Tony Leung, beautiful, ballet-like fight scenes, and comic relief from Awkwafina.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

billthecat wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:19 pm
tooluser wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:31 pm THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut

I've always wondered if the person who trips on the pipe sticking out in the middle of the floor while getting a tour of the control room was intentional or accidental. Maybe that's part of the dystopia - random stuff like that in everyone's lives to trip them up, literally and figuratively?

Also, how long until we're all walking around with a drip attached to our arm dispensing a "vaccine" continuously?
I never noticed that before!
I particularly like the scene where Donald Pleasance's character tells some children how big the educational drip bottles were when he was their age.

Also, I messed up the credits: Donald Pleasance was on equal billing with Robert Duvall, and Francis Ford Coppola was the executive producer. I seem to recall reading that Lucas was introduced to Coppola by Scorsese.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Courier, on Amazon Prime.

Excellent spy thriller based upon the actual story of a British citizen who smuggled information out of Russia that helped prevent Cuba from being a base for Russian nuclear missiles. The information smuggled started and ended the Cuban Missile Crisis.

A piece of behind-the-story history of which I was unaware.
Last edited by Cruise on Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

The Suicide Squad (2021, Was on HBO Max, but that run is over?).

What is it about: Start with The Dirty Dozen, add Godzilla, Kill Bill 2, and Sharknado, and you get the idea. Very violent, and pretty funny at the same time. If Ms. Cruise enjoyed watching it (I was surprised), than you might too.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

"The Virtuoso" on Hulu. It had Anthony Hopkins and was about assassins, so it sounded good...it wasn't. Pointless premise and poorly written dialogue. It was just bad. I'm trying to think of the last new movie I saw that was good, and I am having trouble.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Breathless (1960, France) Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean Seberg, directed by Jean-Luc Godard (subtitled)

A small-time thief steals a car and impulsively murders a motorcycle policeman. Wanted by the authorities, he reunites with a hip American journalism student and attempts to persuade her to run away with him to Italy. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053472/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

A must-see for any film fan. This is the film that made Belmondo an international star. I enjoyed it. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel. Belmondo died today in Paris.
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

PhoebeCoco wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:32 pm "CODA" on Apple TV. "CODA" stands for "Child of Deaf Adults", and tells the story of a teen age girl whose father, mother and brother are deaf, but who is drawn to singing. The daughter, being the only hearing person in the family, often needs to translate between her parents and brother, and the hearing community.

Great acting!

Fantastic scenery of Cape Ann, MA, where the family works in the commercial fishing trade.The film is ostensibly set in Gloucester, but my friend who grew up near there says it is actually filmed in Rockport.

We almost, but not quite cried. Highly recommended!
WHAT? You DIDN'T cry?
Oh. I forgot. Neither did I. I just had severe allergies. :wink:

Emilia Jones for the Oscar!
Maybe the whole movie for the Oscar.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Blue Miracle on Netflix. Better than I expected.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

vanbogle59 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:49 pm
PhoebeCoco wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:32 pm "CODA" on Apple TV. "CODA" stands for "Child of Deaf Adults", and tells the story of a teen age girl whose father, mother and brother are deaf, but who is drawn to singing. The daughter, being the only hearing person in the family, often needs to translate between her parents and brother, and the hearing community.

Great acting!

Fantastic scenery of Cape Ann, MA, where the family works in the commercial fishing trade.The film is ostensibly set in Gloucester, but my friend who grew up near there says it is actually filmed in Rockport.

We almost, but not quite cried. Highly recommended!
WHAT? You DIDN'T cry?
Oh. I forgot. Neither did I. I just had severe allergies. :wink:

Emilia Jones for the Oscar!
Maybe the whole movie for the Oscar.
We literally just finished CODA and it was incredible. While I think Sound of Metal was a better overall movie because it came from the perspective of the deaf individual, this was a wonderfully nuanced story with incredible acting (and singing). My wife called it the Disney version of Sound of Metal, which I would somewhat agree with. The entire cast was great from top to bottom. Well worth your time.

We also saw Shang Chi yesterday in the theater. It was also pretty incredible and one of the better Marvel origin stories. As someone else mentioned above, it was similar to Black Panther in its respectful treatment of Asian culture without relying on worn out tropes. One of the early action sequences may be the best overall action sequence in any Marvel movie.
telemark

Post by telemark »

A Monster Calls (2016), on Netflix. I liked this a lot, even though there were no wisecracking people in costumes pretending to have real problems, and Liam Neeson didn't wrestle any wolves or battle any criminals, and it wasn't even a copy of anything else. Strange but true.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:17 pm Breathless (1960, France) Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean Seberg, directed by Jean-Luc Godard (subtitled)

A small-time thief steals a car and impulsively murders a motorcycle policeman. Wanted by the authorities, he reunites with a hip American journalism student and attempts to persuade her to run away with him to Italy. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053472/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

A must-see for any film fan. This is the film that made Belmondo an international star. I enjoyed it. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel. Belmondo died today in Paris.
Watched it a few months ago. For me (all on Criterion Channel). RIP Belkkondo.

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold - classic spy film with Richard Burton
American Movie - documentary about an indie filmmaker from Wisconsin. Lots of F-bombs. Came away appreciating my life choices.
Koshien: Japan's Field of Dreams - documentary about the annual high school baseball tournament. Very enjoyable.
The Virgin Spring- Bergman drama with Max von Sydow avenging the rape/murder of his daughter in medieval Europe
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

tigermilk wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:10 am The Spy Who Came In From the Cold - classic spy film with Richard Burton
American Movie - documentary about an indie filmmaker from Wisconsin. Lots of F-bombs. Came away appreciating my life choices.
I saw The Spy Who Came In From the Cold in 1965 and couldn’t appreciate it, couldn’t follow it, I was too young. I saw it again forty years later and it made perfect sense, a good film. I like most films with Richard Burton in them. That voice!

I saw American Movie at a theater twenty years ago and thought it was hilarious. Now I’m going to see it again on Criterion and see if I still think so :D

Lately I’ve been watching all the Jean Harlow movies. Her pre-code films are best.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

tigermilk wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:10 am American Movie - documentary about an indie filmmaker from Wisconsin. Lots of F-bombs. Came away appreciating my life choices.
Speaking of F-bombs, I recently watched David Mamet's "Homicide." 3 of 4 stars maybe, but I preferred his "The Spanish Prisoner" more.
PoemMan

Post by PoemMan »

News of the World (on HBO); Tom Hanks as a post Civil War vet now "reading" the news traveling around small towns in Texas, happens upon a young girl (played by Helena Zengal) who was being transported back to only remaining relatives after being raised by local tribal people.

I thought it was a good movie and always enjoy Tom Hanks; and Helena Zengal played her role very well.

PoemMan
“This old truck … I own it … it don’t own me” - Howlin’ Wolf in Cadillac Records
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

"The lobster". A truly terrible film.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

vbdoug wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:38 am "The lobster". A truly terrible film.
I made the same observation years ago after viewing
this film----repulsive on many levels.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Throw Momma From the Train, 1987, with Danny DeVito and Billy Crystal.

The real star of the show, and why I bothered to re-watch it, is Anne Ramsey as Momma. She really made you want to throw her from the train!

The film wasn't as good as I remembered but Ramsey's performance was.

Sadly, Anne Ramsey died of esophageal cancer a couple of years after making this film. A couple of years before making the film she was operated on for her cancer and that left her with a voice that she used to effect in the film. I did not know all that when I saw the film, either the first time or this time. I looked her up afterward.

She was also known for her role in the Goonies, another "despicable mama" role:
Last edited by bertilak on Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
roundhouse

Post by roundhouse »

12 Mighty Orphans. Great movie.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Gremlins, free on YouTube with ads, rated PG, 1984. Steven Spielberg is one of the executive producers. A pet gets loose in the town. Not bad.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hollywood Homicide on DVD, 2003, rated PG-13, Harrison Ford and a bunch of actors you'll recognize but can't remember their names. An attempted comedy about two detectives moonlighting on other jobs. Lots of action, somewhat entertaining.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

The Silencing - Amazon - lead is character Jamie Lanister from Game of Thrones. An ex hunter who lost his daughter discovers a person who is hunting young girls for sport. It's OK.

2:22 - Amazon. Sci fi ish movie. Guy in NYC finds he is reliving incidents of somebody else 30 years ago. Kind of corny. OK minus.

The courier - Amazon - True Story of British business man who became spy of Soviet union leading up to Cuban missile crisis. Good movie and good acting, mostly interesting as it really happened.

Unhinged - Amazon - Russell Crowe plays an Unhinged road raged guy who has nothing else to live for. His performance is pretty amazing, and it is very intense. Nonetheless I stopped about half way through just because I found it stressful and not entertaining.