What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tenkuky

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tenkuky »

A Man Called Ove (2016, Swedish with English subtitles).
Free on TubiTV.
About a grumpy widower and his interactions with his myriad neighbors in a small development.
Funny and sad, with wonderful performances.
Blues

Post by Blues »

"1917"...Good, but I was expecting more considering the hype it had received. A story worth telling, certainly, but we've seen its like before.

A couple of nights ago the missus wanted to watch a Xmas movie so we put on "White Christmas" which I'd never watched previously. Corny, but some nice singing and dancing routines, and some familiar faces from years gone by. (I didn't make it past the first half, but the missus did.)

Happy holidays, all.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

The library is now offering "binge boxes" of 6 movies. We recently watched Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

ruralavalon wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:45 am A Wonderful Life, on Amazon Prime.

An outstanding Christmas movie starting Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed.
Same here, but the Black & White version. It's A Wonderful Life (Black & White Version) | Prime Video
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:37 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:45 am A Wonderful Life, on Amazon Prime.

An outstanding Christmas movie starting Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed.
Same here, but the Black & White version. It's A Wonderful Life (Black & White Version) | Prime Video
I wasn't aware that there was a colorized version, until we got it by mistake
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A Christmas Carol, 1951 with Alastair Sim, on youtube. The original "Scrooge".
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

George Clooney in The Midnight Sky on Netflix.

Two hours that I'll never get back. Joe Morgenstern, the WSJ movie reviewer, calls it "some of the best work of Mr. Clooney’s career ..."

I have nothing positive to say and do not recommend the movie.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Mank on Netflix

A dramatized making of Citizen Kane. It was good.
matti

Post by matti »

I just watched Death Ship tonight. I can't believe this one slipped under my radar for so long, considering it's from 1980. A group of folks get stranded on an abandoned, haunted ship that was used by the Nazis for torture. I thought it was quite spooky and very enjoyable.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Da 5 Bloods” on Netflix.

Enjoyed it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_5_Bloods

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

The Intouchables (2012)
Free on TubiTV
Heartwarming, true story about the relationship between a quadriplegic and his caregiver.
French with English subtitles.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:51 pm A Christmas Carol, 1951 with Alastair Sim, on youtube. The original "Scrooge".
Alastair Sim had a huge body of work, of which I have only see three films (I think): A Christmas Carol, School for Scoundrels, and Green for Danger. Those are three completely different films and I thought he was the best thing in all three of them. Well, Terry Thomas gives him a run for his money in School for Scoundrels!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Mulan (2020) Yifei Liu, Donnie Yen, Li Gong

A young Chinese maiden disguises herself as a male warrior in order to save her father.

A good story and a visual feast, recommended. I streamed it on Disney+
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

I like documentaries... So, on a cold Christmas in Michigan, we watched " The Battered Bastards of Baseball"... As an old baseball fan, I say it's worth a peak... Merry Christmas!!!
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

I like documentaries... So, on a cold Christmas in Michigan, we watched " The Battered Bastards of Baseball" on Netflix... As an old baseball fan, I say it's worth a peak... Merry Christmas!!!
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
Blues

Post by Blues »

Three strikes and you're out. :sharebeer
Kompass

Post by Kompass »

Blues wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:18 pm Three strikes and you're out. :sharebeer
Good catch! :beer
Blues

Post by Blues »

Kompass wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:23 pm
Blues wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:18 pm Three strikes and you're out. :sharebeer
Good catch! :beer
We might make a pretty good double play duo.

Back atcha. :beer
shavenyak

Post by shavenyak »

Soul on Disney Plus (just released). Not for everybody, but right up my alley. It's animated, but deep in its own way...basically offers a thesis on the meaning of life. Beautiful in some of its detail and wonderful music. Recommend.

Post by 123 »

Wonder Woman 1984 - WW84

Our family watched it on our new HBOMAX subscription this morning. Lots of action at the beginning and at the end but the middle part is kind of dull. While Gal Godot is excellent the movie doesn't have much of a real plot, it's about a magic thing that grants wishes to people. It is so dull I wouldn't be surprised if there are no further Wonder Woman titled movies, Wonder Woman will likely continue as a character in movies with other DC superheroes. Again, Gal Godot looks great in every scene, too bad the story isn't as good as her first Wonder Woman movie.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

shavenyak wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:52 pm Soul on Disney Plus (just released). Not for everybody, but right up my alley. It's animated, but deep in its own way...basically offers a thesis on the meaning of life. Beautiful in some of its detail and wonderful music. Recommend.
Disney's Donald in Mathmagic Land has a similar theme from a different perspective and era.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

1 3/4 hours of the 2 1/2 hours of Wonder Woman 1984 - WW84. Maybe if it had been edited down to 90 minutes it could have held my attention, but as it is for me it was a flop. Wish I had turned it off much earlier.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Safe” on Hulu. Liked it.

Tony
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I wasn't planning on keeping Disney streaming for long since I don't have kids but a number of documentaries and specials have kept me around.

Two older but wonderful ones are :

The Boys: The Sherman Brothers story
Frank and Ollie

The first one is about brothers who worked for Disney for decades writing a number of songs for movies such as Mary Poppins. The brothers relationship was interesting and sad.

The second is about two illustrators who worked together and remained very close friends throughout their lives.

Highly recommend both.

And yeah Wonder Woman was a long 2.5 hr tedious and slow movie. I like the star and like the first one, the chemistry between her and Chris Pine is great but geez does the story drag. And do we need the endless scenes of her flying? I am looking forward to watching Soul on Disney.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
rene

Post by rene »

Kids in bed, house is quiet and just finished the new Pixar movie Soul on Disney+

Sooooo goooooood
66Sally

Post by 66Sally »

The Man Who Invented Christmas.
Equitius

Post by Equitius »

Last edited by Equitius on Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

runner26 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:38 pm 1 3/4 hours of the 2 1/2 hours of Wonder Woman 1984 - WW84. Maybe if it had been edited down to 90 minutes it could have held my attention, but as it is for me it was a flop. Wish I had turned it off much earlier.
WW84. I may have made it about that far, but remember little about it a day after. Not recommended.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Hunter Killer” on Hulu. Liked it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Killer_(film)

Tony
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

"George Clooney in The Midnight Sky on Netflix.
Two hours that I'll never get back. Joe Morgenstern, the WSJ movie reviewer, calls it "some of the best work of Mr. Clooney’s career ..."
I have nothing positive to say and do not recommend the movie."

I wasted 2 hours on this slow depressing film. 2 hours I will never get back, and worse yet, I watched on Christmas evening."
Should have stuck to my 15 minute like it or dump it rule.
Dan999
Dan999
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

A Christmas Story, on Amazon Prime.

White Christmas, on Amazon Prime. Starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney (George Clooney's aunt), and Vera-Ellen. A nice nostalgic 1954 musical.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

WW84 on HBOMax . . .
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Blues wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:17 am "1917"...Good, but I was expecting more considering the hype it had received. A story worth telling, certainly, but we've seen its like before.
Just finished it, and agree. Worth watching, very entertaining, great visuals. At a certain point I kept wondering how much that I saw was real versus how much was computer generated, which took a little away from it in my mind.
LongTermHorizon

Post by LongTermHorizon »

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

123 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:05 pm Wonder Woman 1984 - WW84

Our family watched it on our new HBOMAX subscription this morning. Lots of action at the beginning and at the end but the middle part is kind of dull. While Gal Godot is excellent the movie doesn't have much of a real plot, it's about a magic thing that grants wishes to people. It is so dull I wouldn't be surprised if there are no further Wonder Woman titled movies, Wonder Woman will likely continue as a character in movies with other DC superheroes. Again, Gal Godot looks great in every scene, too bad the story isn't as good as her first Wonder Woman movie.
My thoughts as well.

Too long. It’s good to know the middle part was kind of dull. I’m pretty sure I dozed off then. Glad I didn’t miss anything important. The movie would have benefited from editing out 45 minutes. I realize the first section when she was the child introduces the theme you can’t take shortcuts in life / you need to follow the rules, but I don’t even think that was necessary.

Maybe, they explained it when I was dozing, but why was it in 1984?
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

heartwood wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:33 pm George Clooney in The Midnight Sky on Netflix.

I agree. Pretty ridiculous movie and 100 pct unbelievable. Mr.Morgenstern must be related to or a friend of Clooney :D o
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:36 pm Mulan (2020) Yifei Liu, Donnie Yen, Li Gong

A young Chinese maiden disguises herself as a male warrior in order to save her father.

A good story and a visual feast, recommended. I streamed it on Disney+
I liked this as well.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Downsizing” on Hulu. Enjoyed it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downsizing_(film)

Tony
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Toy Story, on DVD. I liked it.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

flaccidsteele wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:18 am Tenet
A secret agent embarks on a dangerous, time-bending mission to prevent the start of World War III.

Had to watch it a few times. Inception-like. I enjoyed it

https://youtu.be/AZGcmvrTX9M

NB: The Protagonist is John David Washington, Denzel Washington’s son
Watched this on DVD, free from public library yesterday.
I will probably also watch it several times to really "get it", but I am a Nolan fan and totally enjoyed it.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The Professor and the Madman 2019, Netflix

Mel Gibson (the Professor) and Sean Penn (the Madman)

This is the story of two men and the Oxford English Dictionary.
  • William Chester Minor, tried for murder but found innocent by reason of insanity. There was no question he committed the act and no disputing his insanity. He was committed to the Broadmoor psychiatric hospital.
  • James Murray, took over editorship of the Oxford English Dictionary after previous editors were unable to do the job. Murray made a public plea for people to contribute to the effort but with little success until Minor started contributing.
How this played out is a strange and wonderful story. The movie is based on a non-fiction book by Simon WInchester. I read the book a year or so ago and the movie seems to have taken very few liberties with it.

One of the characters in the movie is played by Lawrence Fox, Hathaway in the Inspector Lewis series and nephew of Edward Fox (The Jackal in The Day of the Jackal, 1973). I did not recognize him!
Last edited by bertilak on Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

I watched Midnight Sky with George Clooney. I thought it was a good movie, but depressing.
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

hoops777 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:43 pm
heartwood wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:33 pm George Clooney in The Midnight Sky on Netflix.

I agree. Pretty ridiculous movie and 100 pct unbelievable. Mr.Morgenstern must be related to or a friend of Clooney :D o

Yikes. I wanted to fast forward several times, but I thought I might miss something. No. I wouldn’t have. Think about how little acting ability this role required. His character barely interacted with anyone. The little girl was adorable.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Swimmer wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:01 am
hoops777 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Yikes. I wanted to fast forward several times, but I thought I might miss something. No. I wouldn’t have. Think about how little acting ability this role required. His character barely interacted with anyone. The little girl was adorable.
Without giving too much info, unless I dozed off and missed it, there was never any detailed info or reasons given for the main problem in the movie.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Bill and Ted Face the Music
Free loan from public library
:oops:
Nothing more to be said.
In my defense, I've actually never watched the originals.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:39 am
Point wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:47 am The last full measure- a great movie and based on history.
Is that based on a book that is a sequel to "The Killer Angels", and which I think formed the basis for Gettysburg movie?
That was my thought too. But it is for a more modern war
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Wonder Woman. What a tedious, boring movie. It was entertaining to see a promotion feed on twitter and almost all of the comments was how bad the movie is.

Soul. A Pixar/Disney movie that I wanted to say I really liked but while charming and not bad, it was disappointing. I really liked the main character, Joe. He is a musician trying to make it big but in the meantime is teaching part time/tutoring and picking up gigs when he can. Unfortunately the story took a turn (won't give anything way) and I was disappointed.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Dan999 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:37 am "George Clooney in The Midnight Sky on Netflix.
I have nothing positive to say and do not recommend the movie."

I wasted 2 hours on this slow depressing film. 2 hours I will never get back, and worse yet, I watched on Christmas evening."
Should have stuck to my 15 minute like it or dump it rule.
Dan999

Just thinking of Mr. Clooney’s career. Anyone out there seen The American?
That was, by far, the worst movie I’ve ever seen.
sherwood88

Post by sherwood88 »

Found WW84 boring story, music was good with okay action. The Witches was decently funny.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Richard Jewell. A must watch IMO.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci