What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
michaeljc70

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by michaeljc70 »

I watched Ray Donovan-The Movie, The Eternals and Sing 2 (with child).

Ray Donovan was supposed to wrap things up after the series was abruptly cancelled. Some major things that happened seemed out of character and I could have skipped it.

The Eternals was okay. It was too long and I probably wouldn't' recommend it.

Sing 2 was fun and cute. The plot wasn't going to win any awards, but the music was good and it was entertaining for the whole family.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:18 am If you like "old time hockey", then watch Slap Shot (1977) with Paul Newman. It's available for rent on Amazon Prime. (I have it on DVD.) Don't bother with the sequel.
This was filmed in Johnstown, PA, about 20 minutes from where I grew up. In high school we went to Johnstown Chiefs hockey games on Saturday evenings at the Cambria County War Memorial then ice skating afterward. One of my favorite movies for nostalgia.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

It Comes At Night

Two families try to survive a plague. (The movie was released in 2017). It is rather slow, but the tension seemingly builds smartly to the climax. Then it becomes dumb, as the results of the climax are irrelevant. I do not recommend it. At the end it seems to me to have been a waste of time watching it. No payoff for the time invested. It does not improve upon Poe's (or Vincent Price's) The Masque of the Red Death.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
carloslando

Post by carloslando »

Casablanca.
Is showing in some theaters as a special 80th anniversary event.
https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Cas ... ted-by-TCM
there were just 8 or 10 of us in the whole theater so quite socially distant, and it was fun watching this on the huge screen this time.

If you missed the show on the 23rd, there is one more on the 26th (Wednesday) in most theaters showing this.
Comparison is the killer of all joy.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Nobody on HBO MAX.

I recommend nobody watch this unless they want to see a lot of senseless violence. Also the fight scenes are totally absurd and unbelievable.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
solarcub

Post by solarcub »

Final Account, a Holocaust documentary. Focuses mostly on "ordinary" people and what they did during that time. Incredible.

It's available various places; I got the DVD from Netflix.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

carloslando wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:48 pm Casablanca.
Is showing in some theaters as a special 80th anniversary event.
https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Cas ... ted-by-TCM
there were just 8 or 10 of us in the whole theater so quite socially distant, and it was fun watching this on the huge screen this time.

If you missed the show on the 23rd, there is one more on the 26th (Wednesday) in most theaters showing this.
That's one of my favorite movies. I've got it on DVD and have a wall poster down in our basement. It's in our local theater tomorrow, but something tells me I'm not convincing wifey to make the trek.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Swan Song (2021) on Apple TV.

The film takes place in 2040. Mahershala Ali is the main character who is terminally ill. His wife just lost her twin brother and is still in grief. He fears she won't be able to handle his death, so has not told her. He is referred to a special program that will clone him and place it with his wife just prior to his death without her knowledge.

I found it very engaging and thought provoking in how it handles the emotional issues that arise.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Crime Wave (1953) Sterling Hayden, Gene Nelson, Charles Bronson (film debut), Dub Taylor, Timothy Carey

In this gritty film noir an ex-con (Nelson) who is determined to go straight is asked for protective help from other former prisoners who are on the lam after continuing their lives of crime. A detective (Hayden) is convinced he’s joined them and is out to get him.

You don’t get any better actor in the film noir genre than Sterling Hayden. He was born for the role. I enjoyed this film and can wholeheartedly recommend it. Also any film that has Hayden, Dub Taylor, and Timothy Carey, all three, in the same film just has to be good.

I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Artful Dodger wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:32 pm Swan Song (2021) on Apple TV.

The film takes place in 2040. Mahershala Ali is the main character who is terminally ill. His wife just lost her twin brother and is still in grief. He fears she won't be able to handle his death, so has not told her. He is referred to a special program that will clone him and place it with his wife just prior to his death without her knowledge.

I found it very engaging and thought provoking in how it handles the emotional issues that arise.
Sounds vaguely similar to a Black Mirror episode! I abhorred those shows. Only subjected myself to those gut wrenching stories for about 5 episodes until I just couldn’t anymore. The quality of the storytelling was fine, the actors good, but the cynical nature and the meaning of each episode was painful….Oh sorry, i hijacked your recommendation of Swan Song….😔
ScoobyDoo!
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:21 pm You don’t get any better actor in the film noir genre than Sterling Hayden.
Sterling Hayden is a favorite of mine. If you haven't seen Kubrick's The Killing, do yourself a favor and give it a try. That also has Elisha Cook Jr., Ted de Corsia and Coleen Gray, any one of which would make this must-see, but Hayden is the star. Of course, Kubrick is no slouch either! There are a ton of good noir films, but The Killing is in the top echelon.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

bertilak wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:19 am
Nicolas wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:21 pm You don’t get any better actor in the film noir genre than Sterling Hayden.
Sterling Hayden is a favorite of mine. If you haven't seen Kubrick's The Killing, do yourself a favor and give it a try. That also has Elisha Cook Jr., Ted de Corsia and Coleen Gray, any one of which would make this must-see, but Hayden is the star. Of course, Kubrick is no slouch either! There are a ton of good noir films, but The Killing is in the top echelon.
Thanks, I’ve seen The Killing three times, it’s great. I might see it a fourth time soon. It’s on Criterion right now too.

It’s interesting that, according to IMDB, Warner Bros. wanted Bogart and Ava Gardner as lead roles in Crime Wave. The director refused, he wanted Hayden.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:41 pm Sounds vaguely similar to a Black Mirror episode! I abhorred those shows. Only subjected myself to those gut wrenching stories for about 5 episodes until I just couldn’t anymore. The quality of the storytelling was fine, the actors good, but the cynical nature and the meaning of each episode was painful….Oh sorry, i hijacked your recommendation of Swan Song….😔
This is off-topic but I also disliked Black Mirror. I watched two episodes at a younger family member’s urging and afterwards I just felt wretched. Maybe it’s a generational thing, I don’t know. I was told it compares to The Twilight Zone but I don’t think so. The latter series always had some moral lesson. Ok I’ll stop here as it’s off-topic.
cainxinth

Post by cainxinth »

Been trying to only watch movies I've never seen before. In the last two months, I've seen:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) - 10/10, absolutely loved it. Amazing cast and a gripping story that kept me guessing.

Godzilla (1954) - 5/10, glad I watched it, but it was even hokier and the fx even more dated than I expected.

The High and the Mighty (1954) - 6/10, John Wayne was great, as were all the scenes about the plane, but the passengers were annoyingly melodramatic and prone to monologuing.

Paths of Glory (1957) - 9/10, Kubrick was a genius. It's amazing how even his films from the 50s show a style and a precision that would persist throughout his career. Also, a powerful film about how war is a bureaucratic nightmare in addition to a physical one.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - 7/10, a little depressing but also exciting, and Bogart gives an amazing performance.

The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three (1974) - 8/10, very fun watch, very gritty NYC of the 70s, and Robert Shaw's steely intensity and Walter Matthau's wit and snark made for wonderful foils.

The Quiet Earth (1985) - 6/10, had some really interesting moments, but also some very boring ones. I started out very invested but lost some interest as it went on.

The Equalizer (2014) - 7/10, an old-fashioned, good guy who is purely good beats up the bad guys who are purely bad flick. Sometimes I want nuance and realism, but this was undeniably a lot of fun.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

cainxinth wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:42 am Paths of Glory (1957) - 9/10, Kubrick was a genius. It's amazing how even his films from the 50s show a style and a precision that would persist throughout his career. Also, a powerful film about how war is a bureaucratic nightmare in addition to a physical one.
Agreed, truly a great film!
cainxinth wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:42 am Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - 7/10, a little depressing but also exciting, and Bogart gives an amazing performance.
This is my favorite film of all time. I must’ve seen it a dozen times. I rate it 10/10. It’s a tale of what gold can do to men’s souls. All the actors are great and the story is gripping. John Huston directed his father Walter in this film. And who can forget Alfonso Bedoya? “We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!”
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:56 am This is my favorite film of all time. I must’ve seen it a dozen times. I rate it 10/10. It’s a tale of what gold can do to men’s souls. All the actors are great and the story is gripping. John Huston directed his father Walter in this film. And who can forget Alfonso Bedoya? “We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!”
One of my favorite parodies of this line is from the movie UHF starring Weird Al Yankovic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6TBrfCW54
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:57 am
Thanks, I’ve seen The Killing three times, it’s great. I might see it a fourth time soon. It’s on Criterion right now too.

It’s interesting that, according to IMDB, Warner Bros. wanted Bogart and Ava Gardner as lead roles in Crime Wave. The director refused, he wanted Hayden.
He's one of those under the radar actors that was popular just before my generation. Really good.

I can't let Kubrick and Hayden being spoken of without mentioning Dr. Strangelove. Hayden nearly steals the show away from Peter Sellers, which is an impossible task.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:57 am

Crime Wave brought together de Corsia and Hyden. It also had Timothy Carey, who had a great part in The Killing.

Note that Timothy Carey auditioned for Lawrence Tierney's part in Reservoir Dogs. He didn't get the part, but Tarantino dedicated the film to him.

May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:56 am
cainxinth wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:42 am Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - 7/10, a little depressing but also exciting, and Bogart gives an amazing performance.
This is my favorite film of all time. I must’ve seen it a dozen times. I rate it 10/10. It’s a tale of what gold can do to men’s souls. All the actors are great and the story is gripping. John Huston directed his father Walter in this film. And who can forget Alfonso Bedoya? “We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!”
And director John Huston played the role of the American tourist who Bogart asked for money.

Robert Blake, who starred in the Baretta TV show in the 1970s, played the child selling lottery tickets.
cainxinth

Post by cainxinth »

ModifiedDuration wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:22 am And director John Huston played the role of the American tourist who Bogart asked for money.

Robert Blake, who starred in the Baretta TV show in the 1970s, played the child selling lottery tickets.
“Say, Mister, Could You Stake a Fellow American to a Meal?”

Also... that was Robert Blake!!? Never would have guessed that!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

bertilak wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:13 am Crime Wave brought together de Corsia and Hyden. It also had Timothy Carey, who had a great part in The Killing.
Carey was in Kubrick’s Paths of Glory too. He was one of the executed soldiers. He was an interesting guy. He had a tendency to adlib. When he was led out to execution he began moaning “I don’t want to die” which was not in the script. It was effective and Kubrick left it in.

Great picture, by the way. With those looks Carey said the police were always suspecting him of things and women would gather up their children when he went to the park.
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Tubes wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:21 am I can't let Kubrick and Hayden being spoken of without mentioning Dr. Strangelove. Hayden nearly steals the show away from Peter Sellers, which is an impossible task.
Dr. Strangelove is of course a great film, and Hayden great as the insane general. I first saw it at the theater on its initial release and I now own the DVD. The singer of “We’ll Meet Again” played at the end, Vera Lynn, died just a couple of years ago.

If you like Hayden The Criterion Channel is currently featuring ten of his films and one two-hour documentary showing Hayden on his river barge in France at the age of 65.
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Singing in the Rain, on Amazon Prime.

This is is a classic early color musical, starring Gene Kelly, Donald O'Conner, Debbie Reynolds, and Jean Hagen.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Innocent” with Bill Pullman on Tubi.

Enjoyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocent_(2011_film)

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:56 am This is my favorite film of all time. I must’ve seen it a dozen times. I rate it 10/10. It’s a tale of what gold can do to men’s souls. All the actors are great and the story is gripping. John Huston directed his father Walter in this film. And who can forget Alfonso Bedoya? “We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!”
Truly great film. The best story of greed ever put on film, more than Wall Street or any of the others.
Check out Walter Huston's Oscar win acceptance speech. Wonderful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suCCTxjZ2J4
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:42 pm “Innocent” with Bill Pullman on Tubi.

Enjoyed it.

Tony
Before watching this, one might want to watch the "first one", "Presumed Innocent".
"Innocent" is about the same main character, some time later, and the background does add something.

We enjoyed both of them.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:52 pm

Enjoyed it.

Tony
Before watching this, one might want to watch the "first one", "Presumed Innocent".
"Innocent" is about the same main character, some time later, and the background does add something.

We enjoyed both of them.

RM
I did not know that. Will look for the other. They keep referencing the murder from 20 years ago!
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:11 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:52 pm

Enjoyed it.

Tony

We enjoyed both of them.

RM
I did not know that. Will look for the other. They keep referencing the murder from 20 years ago!
Tony
Yes, it does matter.
One can understand the second without the first, but having seen the first will definitely fill in some of the background and even a bit of the current...

ETA: If one hasn't seen both, then do see them IN ORDER.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

ruralavalon wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:30 pm Singing in the Rain, on Amazon Prime.

This is is a classic early color musical, starring Gene Kelly, Donald O'Conner, Debbie Reynolds, and Jean Hagen.
"Singing in the Rain" is an all-time favorite of mine. Donald O'Connor's 1-man comedy routine is the most hilarious scene ever! So many funny bits! The hat, the mannequin, the facial expressions, the wall-climbing...
And none of that was in the script! O'Connor used to crack everyone up on the set with his random ad-lib comedy bits. Somebody finally suggested he string them all together and put it in the movie!

After I watched it with my daughter [about 10 years ago], she said "How come they don't make movies like this anymore?"
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

tenkuky wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:48 pm
Truly great film. The best story of greed ever put on film, more than Wall Street or any of the others.
Check out Walter Huston's Oscar win acceptance speech. Wonderful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suCCTxjZ2J4
Very nice, never saw that before. Thanks.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Alien on Amazon Prime (4K Ultra HD), rated R, 1979, Sigourney Weaver, John Hurt. A commercial spaceship investigates the source of an unknown radio transmission. If you want to see sci-fi / horror done right, watch this movie. It's a classic.

I also have this movie on DVD and should have watched that instead. Even though Amazon has converted the movie to 4K, the focus was soft and grainy. At least it was free to watch (with Amazon Prime). I'll watch the sequel, Aliens, on DVD.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

We watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

I found it interesting, but a bit confusing in spots.

Now I'm going to read the book. I've had it on my Kindle for a long time but never got around to reading it. Hopefully, it will be less confusing.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:28 pm Alien on Amazon Prime (4K Ultra HD), rated R, 1979, Sigourney Weaver, John Hurt. A commercial spaceship investigates the source of an unknown radio transmission. If you want to see sci-fi / horror done right, watch this movie. It's a classic.

I also have this movie on DVD and should have watched that instead. Even though Amazon has converted the movie to 4K, the focus was soft and grainy. At least it was free to watch (with Amazon Prime). I'll watch the sequel, Aliens, on DVD.
Alien scared the bejeebers out of me in 1979. Later I found out that the theater sound system had a subsonic vibration that set your nerves on edge. You don't get that effect watching it on TV.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

If it was only a TV, I would agree. My setup is a high-def home theater - which can match commercial theater quality.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Tubes wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:16 pm Just got done watching Dune on HBOMax. It is a movie clearly made for the big screen. I still enjoyed it on my TV but man it must be glorious on the big screen.

My first impression was: this is a mature Star Wars. After I was done watching, I read a quote from the director where he says, "In a way, it's Star Wars for adults." Yep.

The music is great, the cinematography is stupendous, the effects are seamless. Imagine the hokey stuff from the first Star Wars taken out, and then crossed with Scott's Gladiator. Out comes Dune.

But the movie felt a little long. It was as if Villeneuve knew he had time to burn, so he did. Unshackled by the burden that Lynch claimed ruined his version (got cut by the studio), Villeneuve makes sure to use all 155 minutes. And sometimes, it drags. We barely see any of the Chani character, despite her being prominent in the trailer and posters. Oh well, I guess it is a set up for part 2, coming in probably a few years...
Saw this at home this weekend, free DVD from public library.
Without the benefit of theater/big screen or an amazing sound set-up, I focused on the plot.
It was long, and seemed to drag, agree with Tubes.
The soundtrack by Zimmer seemed a little discordant (he was aiming to be atypical anyway).
Also agree with the Star Wars vibe (Tattooine, Jabba, sand creatures anyone? :happy)
Bogle101

Post by Bogle101 »

Crimson tide, decent Hackman flick.
40% Extended Market | 40% S&P 500 | 10% REIT | 5% State Muni Bond | 5% Cash
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

tenkuky wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:19 pm Saw this at home this weekend, free DVD from public library.
Without the benefit of theater/big screen or an amazing sound set-up, I focused on the plot.
It was long, and seemed to drag, agree with Tubes.
The soundtrack by Zimmer seemed a little discordant (he was aiming to be atypical anyway).
Also agree with the Star Wars vibe (Tattooine, Jabba, sand creatures anyone? :happy)
In fairness, Star Wars was in many ways a ripoff (err tribute) to the Dune novel.

But yeah, this movie was just dull, and I'm a big Dune fan. I think I like the Lynch version more, and it was abysmal.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:36 pm We watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

Now I'm going to read the book. I've had it on my Kindle for a long time but never got around to reading it. Hopefully, it will be less confusing.
The books are really fast-paced, much better than the movies.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:36 pm We watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

The books are great. I listened to the audio versions twice. I think they’re superior to the movie/ movies.

They never made the sequels to the 2011 American movie. If you’re interested there is a Swedish made version that came out in 2009. I thought it was well done, but I never watched the two follow up movies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_ ... 2009_film)
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Bogle101 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:27 pm Crimson tide, decent Hackman flick.
Not bad, but I liked The Hunt for Red October much better.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

doobiedoo wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:51 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:28 pm Alien on Amazon Prime (4K Ultra HD), rated R, 1979, Sigourney Weaver, John Hurt. A commercial spaceship investigates the source of an unknown radio transmission. If you want to see sci-fi / horror done right, watch this movie. It's a classic.

Alien scared the bejeebers out of me in 1979. Later I found out that the theater sound system had a subsonic vibration that set your nerves on edge. You don't get that effect watching it on TV.
A short aside - In the mid to late 70s. I was watching the first Star Trek movie in an old theater. I think the movie and/or theater had some sort of special (for those days) sound system. Some of the bass frequencies were so low that they would shake your insides. Anyway, the crew tested the warp drive, and a big chunk of plaster fell out of the ceiling over the balcony. Luckily the balcony had been closed a couple years earlier.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:07 am
doobiedoo wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:51 pm

A short aside - In the mid to late 70s. I was watching the first Star Trek movie in an old theater. I think the movie and/or theater had some sort of special (for those days) sound system. Some of the bass frequencies were so low that they would shake your insides. Anyway, the crew tested the warp drive, and a big chunk of plaster fell out of the ceiling over the balcony. Luckily the balcony had been closed a couple years earlier.
Sensurround? Caused all kinds of problems in old theaters.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Prometheus has a nice tie in as well to that big chair in the horseshoe ship in Alien. I liked Prometheus, you may want to check it out, not as good as Alien, but I liked better than the later Aliens.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

"Georgetown" - Hulu. Based on a true event, conman preys on rich widow.

"Operation Finale" - Netflix. About the Mossad hunt for Adolf Eichmann.

"Adrift" - Netflix. Couple caught in hurricane in a sailing yacht. Based on a true event.

"The Irishman" - Netflix. Story of hitman Frank Sheeran in the Bufalino mob.

Enjoyed them all.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:48 am
And neither compare to Run Silent, Run Deep!
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

tenkuky wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:20 pm
OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:48 am
And neither compare to Run Silent, Run Deep!
Das Boot is another great U-boat/Submarine movie.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Lifeboat is up there too.
a

Post by a »

The Endless (2017)

Little movie of the genre "1 1/2 hour Twilight Zone episodes," (such as
Triangle, Vivarium) with a cool Lovecraftian idea. Pretty tight, no
drawn-out unnecessary scenes. Great care was taken to flesh out
the underlying mythos, so scenes can be re-watched with enjoyment
and puzzle out the connections.

Quite highly recommend, free on Amazon Prime.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Revenge of the Creature. Second of three "Gill Man" movies made in the mid 50s. Underwater scenes filmed at Wakulla Springs, FL, south of Tallahassee. Wakulla was developed and a lodge built there by Edward Ball, brother-in-law of Alfred du Pont. Ball was a pioneer in developing the Florida Panhandle and was part of a group that promoted construction of the Gulf Coast Highway (US 98).

https://archive.org/details/revenge-of-the-creature - All three of the Gill Man movies can be found at this site.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/WakullaSprings
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

"The Tender Bar". Free on Amazon Video for prime members.
Touching, coming of age movie with some good acting.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein