What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tooluser

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by tooluser »

tenkuky wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:47 pm Run Silent Run Deep (1958)
Free on YouTube
Classic submarine movie set in WW2 Pacific theater.
Can't go wrong with Burt Lancaster and Clark Gable. :beer
Tense and enjoyable.
Indeed. Tour a WWII submarine sometime (such as at Pearl Harbor). Much smaller than the movie portrays, and much more copper and brass as well. Surprising and uplifting.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

The colony. Netflix I think. Former earth inhabitants return to Earth, which they previously left as near inhabitable, and find there are still humans there in fairly primitive conditions. It’s OK. Not terribly remarkable but I made it all the way through.

Power of the dog- Netflix - western/cowboy movie but not at all typical. Two brothers herd cattle, one is a cowboy through and through and other not so much. Very slow paced, I started playing with my phone at times. Has an uncomfortable tenseness for a good part of it but then it starts in a different direction but then ends in an unexpected way. I’d say the movie is worth it just in the way it wraps up. It’s one of those that I went and googled an explanation just to make sure I understood what had happened there.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

Being the Ricardos, on Amazon Prime.

Not sure why it has so many bad reviews on Amazon. I liked it. As someone who grew up watching I Love Lucy, I found it odd to see Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem playing Lucy and Desi. Nicole as Lucy was good (especially her voice), but I could never quite buy Javier as Desi. Nevertheless, the movie did a good job of showing the groundbreaking nature of I Love Lucy, and the hard work and talent that both Lucy and Desi brought to the show and to American TV.

Recommended.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

PhoebeCoco wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:17 am Being the Ricardos, on Amazon Prime.

Not sure why it has so many bad reviews on Amazon. I liked it. As someone who grew up watching I Love Lucy, I found it odd to see Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem playing Lucy and Desi. Nicole as Lucy was good (especially her voice), but I could never quite buy Javier as Desi. Nevertheless, the movie did a good job of showing the groundbreaking nature of I Love Lucy, and the hard work and talent that both Lucy and Desi brought to the show and to American TV.

Recommended.
It's in my Q. I heard Nicole Kidman interviewed on NPR recently where she discusses making the movie. I really like both actors in other films.
TSintheATL

Post by TSintheATL »

tenkuky wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:47 pm Run Silent Run Deep (1958)
Look for Don Rickles in a rare dramatic role, I believe his film debut.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Last night we watched Dune on a 4k blu ray, on a 77"OLED TV. I felt like I was back at the theater when we saw it the first time. This was the first 4k blu ray we bought and watched.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

WarGames (1983)
Free on YouTube
Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy in a look at when AI interferes with national defense.
Very interesting and shades of Strangelove and precursor to SkyNet.
Keep an eye on the old tech :D
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Pig (2021) Nicolas Cage, Alex Wolff, Adam Arkin

Nicolas Cage searching for his stolen pig. In the beginning the plot reminded me of “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure”, with him searching for his stolen bike. Of course that was a silly comedy and this a poignant drama, almost a film noir. I loved it. We checked the DVD out of our local public library.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Watched "Wander" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9689696/ on Amazon last night . Wife and I looked at each other during the final scene and both said "WTF just happened"?
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Don't Look Up. All-star cast with some interesting metaphors that some will relate to present day discussions and debates.

Tim
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"Catch Me If You Can- The Story of Pan Am" on YouTube. Covers the history of a company that practically invents the commercial flight industry, lead by a strong visionary reinvents itself into the future a number of times, creates a prestigious Global brand and yet falls into insolvency under the direction of the 3 following CEO's and a terror event.
Recommend it if you like business type documentaries.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Ratatouille on Amazon Prime ($3.99 rental in 4K UHD), rated G, Pixar Animation, 2007. A rat joins forces with a kitchen worker to become a chef. Well produced and fun to watch. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Coco before Chanel, with Audrey Tatou as Chanel

Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky

Both pretty great. The portrayal of Chanel in the second film seemed likely more true to life, although Tatou is always a delight to watch. Saw both on Netflix discs.

Harlan: In the Shadow of J.S. (2008), about propaganda filmmaker Veit Harlan.
Bismarck, by Wolfgang Liebeneiner (chilling example of the genre).
Paragraph 175 (more awfulness, documentary interviews about the abuse of law and people).
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Riden

Post by Riden »

Wrath of Man
sedonashine

Post by sedonashine »

really appreciate it when a post includes where the movie was seen(theatre,netflix,etc.) cheers!
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Hitman's Wifes Bodyguard on hbo was truly horrible.
Although I am tired of them The Eternals on disney was ok.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Riden wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:37 pmWrath of Man
Yes, I liked "Wrath of Man" starring Jason Statham. I think I recorded it from HBO during a free weekend. Holt McCallany is terrific. [You might not recognize the name, but you'll recognize the face when you see it.]

2021 release. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wrath_of_man ratings: 66% 90%.

From Wikipedia: "Statham stars as H, a new cash truck driver in Los Angeles whose thwarting of a robbery leads to his skillset with guns and mysterious past being questioned."

Here's the Roger Ebert review: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/wrat ... eview-2021
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Station Eleven miniseries on HBO Max
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

The Lost Leonardo (rental) - interesting documentary about a supposed DaVinci painting found at a small auction that goes on to be the highest selling painting at auction despite the art world agreeing on its authenticity. Lots of ups and downs for something that seems so simple. Enjoyed it.

Paddleton (Netflix) - Story of two neighbors/best friends dealing with one having terminal cancer. Stars Ray Romano and Mark Duplass. It's a slow moving film but I found it entertaining and sad. I've always been a fan of Duplass but Romano was excellent in this.
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

Don't look Up: Good. Made us laugh. Pokes fun at the current environment for both Government and Media. Watch past the credits.

Power of the Dog: Good. Acting phenomenal.

Hell or High Water: Watched this a second time. A very good movie.
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

I like documentaries and hockey.... Untold: Crime and Penalties on Netflix; Shows the Crazy Side of the Danbury Trashers....

I thought it was pretty good....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

If you like "old time hockey", then watch Slap Shot (1977) with Paul Newman. It's available for rent on Amazon Prime. (I have it on DVD.) Don't bother with the sequel.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

"Child of God" based on book by Cormac Mccarthy.

Lester Ballard, a half-mad, backwoods degenerate with no place in polite society in rural Tennessee of the late 1950's to early 1960's.

It portrays some very offensive violent behavior, at least to ms gamboolgal and I. It's a screen versions attempt of showing a mad man's mind - I guess....

Not sure I would recommend it or not?

2014 Link to Roger Ebert review
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/child-of-god-2014

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KnbqSf9eWE
MariaT

Post by MariaT »

Just watched Fisherman’s Friends (Amazon Prime) last night. Very charming and uplifting movie based on a true story about Cornish fishermen who formed a musical group singing sea shanties. It’s also a romantic comedy and tells the story of long lasting friendships in the small fishing village.

It stars James Purefoy. Enjoyed it.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

"Dead Calm" - an older (1989) Nicole Kidman film (thriller). Recommended.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/dead-calm-1989
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:18 am If you like "old time hockey", then watch Slap Shot (1977) with Paul Newman. It's available for rent on Amazon Prime. (I have it on DVD.) Don't bother with the sequel.
Such a great movie.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

JBTX wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:12 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:18 am If you like "old time hockey", then watch Slap Shot (1977) with Paul Newman. It's available for rent on Amazon Prime. (I have it on DVD.) Don't bother with the sequel.
Such a great movie.
Every time I hear this song playing I think of the bus taking the team to the next opponent's city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bna2ni6h4c
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Today I watched: The Westerner (1940) directed by William Wyler and starring Gary Cooper, features Roy Bean (played by Walter Brennan) as one of the main characters, for which Brennan won a Best Supporting Actor Academy Award. The movie gives Bean an entirely fictitious death scene.

I've been watching a lot of old B&W movies. So many to choose from, all free via several sites.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Ready Player One - Steven Spielberg's 2018 sci fi film about life in 2045 when just about everyone is connected via VR headsets to an artificial "world" called the Oasis. They're all playing a game to discover hidden clues left by the world's original creator. The one who gathers all the clues faces one final challenge which if accomplished gives the winner ownership of the virtual world.

I enjoyed it.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Minnal Murali, on Netflix. An Indian Superhero film. Uneven, but if you appreciate Indian cinema, it will entertain.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

rich126 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:10 pm Although I am tired of them The Eternals on disney was ok.
I thought Eternals was easily the worst Marvel movie I have seen. Saw yesterday on Disney +
And don't get me started on the absurd after-credits cameo. :oops:
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:54 pm Today I watched: The Westerner (1940) directed by William Wyler and starring Gary Cooper, features Roy Bean (played by Walter Brennan) as one of the main characters, for which Brennan won a Best Supporting Actor Academy Award. The movie gives Bean an entirely fictitious death scene.

I've been watching a lot of old B&W movies. So many to choose from, all free via several sites.

Broken Man 1999
I enjoyed Cooper playing on Bean’s Langtry infatuation — so funny.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

tenkuky wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:35 pm
rich126 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:10 pm Although I am tired of them The Eternals on disney was ok.
I thought Eternals was easily the worst Marvel movie I have seen. Saw yesterday on Disney +
Heard this from multiple people. My wife read a synopsis and pretty much refused to watch it...not that I had any interest.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:50 pm
Heard this from multiple people. My wife read a synopsis and pretty much refused to watch it...not that I had any interest.
I'm not sure a synopsis of any Marvel movie would make sense. Essentially it is superheros and villains destroy cities and chase stones.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

The Night Stalker, the pilot TV movie for the series Kolchak: The Night Stalker. IMO, this was the best of the lot and was first aired in January, 1972. Available on YouTube.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

One of my great nieces use to think I knew General Washington. Alas, not that old, but it has sparked her interest in American history and hence is using this film for a class project to identify the flags and when possible the regimental flags of the surrender at Yorktown. (The French regimental flags are the easiest, they are so unique.) Here is a short film and until time travel is invented, its the closest we will come to being there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9hBD5FAEY8
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

rich126 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:26 am
I'm not sure a synopsis of any Marvel movie would make sense. Essentially it is superheros and villains destroy cities and chase stones.
Essentially, your statement is incorrect, sorry.
That is like saying all old westerns are just gunslingers shooting each other.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

hoops777 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:45 pm
rich126 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:26 am
Essentially, your statement is incorrect, sorry.
That is like saying all old westerns are just gunslingers shooting each other.
There is definitely a wide range of stories and quality. I'm generally not a huge fan of superhero movies, but a few of the Marvel ones have been really good (and several have been near unwatchable).
Blues

Post by Blues »

Ray Donovan: The Movie

Meh.

There was a good reason I stopped watching the show a season or two back.
MandyLuna

Post by MandyLuna »

Don't Look Up on Netflix.

An extremely satirical film with chilling accuracy in its assessment of the current American culture....a natural disaster film, along the lines of that familiar genre but with so many twists along the way that I was enthralled.

Some will get annoyed by political jabs and are then likely to miss the bigger picture here that captures the absurdities that have turned our culture on its head in the past couple decades....

Don't miss it and yes, the acting is good too. I'm just relieved I'm no longer alone in my assessments of current American culture. At least one other person sees it too lol. Bravo Adam McKay. If they miss the point, at least you tried.
MandyLuna

Post by MandyLuna »

[ quote formatted by admin LadyGeek]

Silly 1970s style comedy that I enjoyed. Part of it was filmed in my back yard and as a kid, I served as an extra in some of the audience scenes...cool all around.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Who framed Roger Rabbit on DVD, rated PG, 1988, Bob Hoskins, Christopher Lloyd (voice), directed by Robert Zemeckis. A rabbit gets charged with murder. This animated adventure / comedy is a classic. I liked it.

The most famous line in the movie: "I'm not bad. I was drawn this way."
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:37 am Who framed Roger Rabbit on DVD, rated PG, 1988, Bob Hoskins, Christopher Lloyd (voice), directed by Robert Zemeckis. A rabbit gets charged with murder. This animated adventure / comedy is a classic. I liked it.

The most famous line in the movie: "I'm not bad. I was drawn this way."
Saw this on my first date with my now DW. Great memories.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

I'm Your Man. $2.99 to rent on Amazon Prime.

In German.

Dan Stevens plays a robot, Tom, who has been programmed to be the perfect match for a particular woman, Alma, a scientist. The plot tension of "will they/won't they" is skewed by Tom's non-human nature.

Very fun to watch, even with subtitles.

Recommended.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Watching “Master & Commander - The Far Side of the World” with Russell Crowe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_an ... _the_World

This movie had me thinking of Jack Bogle and Vanguard. There are a lot of references to Horacio Nelson who faced Napoleon in the Battle of the Nile. Lord Nelson’s ship? HMS Vanguard.

This film was 2003. Somehow I can’t help but think Mr. Bogle probably watched this and loved it.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

tenkuky wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:18 am WarGames (1983)
Free on YouTube
Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy in a look at when AI interferes with national defense.
Very interesting and shades of Strangelove and precursor to SkyNet.
Keep an eye on the old tech :D
I enjoyed that movie in the theater with my parents as kids! Loved it.

Incidentally I am reading Jack Bogle’s “Common Sense on Mutual Funds - 10th anniversary edition”. He references War Games in terms of actively trading stock is a losers game (much like checkers in the movie).

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"Amélie" (2001) French, English Subtitles. "Amélie is an innocent and naive girl in Paris with her own sense of justice. She decides to help those around her and, along the way, discovers love."

The film got excellent reviews on IMDb and from Robert Ebert. I personally picked the film because of co-star Matheiu Kassovitz who played the top spy in the French TV series "Le Bureau des Legendes". I was curious to see him in a different kind of role.

I wasn't expecting a comedy (my fault for not reading close enough) so had a problem with the first half being too quirky and too self-consciously funny. But by the second half, I was curious to see what happened next, and I enjoyed the Parisian immersion.

Still, it is a quirky film and mixes fantasy and reality, so not for everyone.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

"Safety," on Disney+. Feel-good football story based upon real life, in the mold of Blind Side.
malabargold

Post by malabargold »

Why has Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East?

It may be difficult to find this 1980’s film but
IMO it remains the benchmark for stunning cinematography.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

malabargold wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:25 pm Why has Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East?

It may be difficult to find this 1980’s film but
IMO it remains the benchmark for stunning cinematography.
I found it on Kanopy and added to my Q. Looks interesting. 1989.

IMDb 7.5

"About three monks in a remote monastery; an aging master, a small orphan and a young man who left his city life to seek Enlightenment."

Kanopy

"The first ever feature-length film from South Korea to gain theatrical distribution in the USA, WHY HAS BODHI-DHARMA LEFT FOR THE EAST? has received acclaim from critics and audiences around the world for decades. A film of remarkable power and beauty, the story follows a trio of monks in a remote mountain monastery as they grapple with the mystery of enlightenment. The oldest among them, a storied Zen master, wishes to make the ceremony of his upcoming death into a lesson for his conflicted apprentice, while the youngest among them attempts to nurse a bird he hit with a stone back to full health. The title of the film is a Zen koan, or a paradox meant to aid meditation, that provokes the question of the distinction between leaving and arriving. Magnificent, quietly powerful and astonishingly rich in formal beauty, this film is not only a cinematic gem, but an evocative meditation on the cyclical nature of existence."