What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LadyGeek »

Nightcrawler on DVD, rated R, 2014. A con man gets into the freelance video news business. An action thriller with lots of suspense. I liked it.

Now, what's not in the usual reviews. This can only happen on Bogleheads...

To explain, we have quite a number of discussions related to career guidance. [Getting a promotion, how do I negotiate a raise?] was on my mind when I watched this film.

A manager's job is to uphold the company position while making the employees think you are on their side. It's the most difficult job in the company and requires a certain level of skill to walk this fine line.

Hiring and managing an employee is a very strong secondary plot. Everything is covered here -

- How to conduct an interview and the hiring process
- Performance reviews
- Negotiating a raise
- On the job training, directing and providing guidance to the employee
- Career counseling

These topics aren't apparent until partway into the movie. However, it builds on you. By the end of the movie, I couldn't get that thread out of my mind and thought it was hilarious. The movie changed from an action thriller to a dark comedy manager training course.

I recommend reading a few of our career guidance threads, put on your manager's hat, then watch the movie. It's also fun if you're an employee and are preparing for your annual performance review.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

The Boys from Brazil, 1978. Laurence Olivier is the Nazi hunter almost too old to go on pursuing the ones who escaped. Gregory Peck is Dr. Josef Mengele, medical sadist, now residing in South America and dreaming of resurrecting the Third Reich.

Ninety-four men must be killed within a few days of each other, at age 65. All unimportant civil servants. All with much younger wives. All with just one child, a boy not quite 14 years old and spoiled rotten...

The performances are truly fine. And then there is the lurching, bizarrely cheerful but just slightly scary, carnival tune that is the theme, foreshadowing that the film is going to take you somewhere half evil and half farce - and it does, culminating in the death struggle between two old men who are nearly too old to even hurt each other.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Re-watched The Godfather last night. Really a masterpiece. The bookends at the beginning and end with the rites of church and family (marriage, baptism) and Michael's transformation from being on the outside to ruthless control of the family. That scene at the end with him saying to Kay that just this one time he'll let her ask him about his affairs--and then subsequently her looking in from the outside as his minions kiss his ring, then the door closing on her view--wow.

I remember reading the novel when I was 12 or so and while I can't remember if the writing was actually good or not (apparently people say it wasn't that well-written?), it really stuck with me and helped fill in some narrative holes in the movie that I might have glossed over. Next up, Godfather, pt. II.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The Bank Job.

Not bad.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

The Nice Guys.

I'd seen it before, but it's an absolute gem. Gosling nailed that role.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I moved livelovelaugh00's review and replies for the "Midsomer Murders" TV series into the TV show thread: Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

ms gamboolgal and I watched "Those Who Wish Me Dead"

Angelina Jolie as a Smoke Jumper who befriends a boy in danger.
It was OK. Could have been alot better - we think. Abit rough on the language...

Give it a 6 to 7

Would guardedly recommend it if you like Action Movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV6VNNjBkcE&t=9s
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Wadjida on Netflix streaming. As a woman this movie was a tough watch, I found myself getting angry about so many things in this film. It was also a good reminder that I am lucky to be born where and when I was. It was a very well done movie and I highly recommend it, just tough to see how these women are subjugated and perpetuate it themselves in Muslim theocracies. The movie does end on a small hopeful note. I honestly wish I had the brains to create some kind of program to recruit women out of those societies and bring them here.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

The Green Knight in the theater. Getting great reviews on RT, but I thought it was horrible. Depressing, unlikeable characters,”artsy” at the expense of a good movie imho.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

mhalley wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 pm The Green Knight in the theater. Getting great reviews on RT, but I thought it was horrible. Depressing, unlikeable characters,”artsy” at the expense of a good movie imho.
This is sad to hear. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is one of my favorites. A well done movie would be welcome but I hate to see favorite things ruined. In the original poem there are no unlikeable characters.

What is RT?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Treasure Island (1990) Charlton Heston, Christian Bale, Oliver Reed, Christopher Lee, Pete Postlethwaite, Nicholas Amer. Directed by Fraser Heston, son of Charlton Heston.

The treasure seeking adventures of young Jim Hawkins and pirate Captain Long John Silver.

This is a made-for-TV movie from Ted Turner’s TNT cable channel. A great cast in this, the most faithful film adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson‘s timeless classic. There’s a gritty realistic feeling that isn’t present in the other films. I watched my purchased DVD. Recommended.

Coraline (2009) Stop-motion animated feature with the voices of Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, John Hodgman, & Keith David, directed by Henry Selick. From the book by Neil Gaiman.

An adventurous 11-year-old girl finds another world that is a strangely idealized version of her frustrating home, but it has sinister secrets.

Beautifully and lushly animated with just the right amount of humor and creepiness, and definitely not for little kids, it’s a visual feast. From the Laika animation house of Portland, OR. Recommended. I watched my purchased BluRay disk.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

bertilak wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:15 pm What is RT?
Probably Rotten Tomatoes.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

bertilak wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:15 pm
mhalley wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 pm The Green Knight in the theater. Getting great reviews on RT, but I thought it was horrible. Depressing, unlikeable characters,”artsy” at the expense of a good movie imho.
This is sad to hear. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is one of my favorites. A well done movie would be welcome but I hate to see favorite things ruined. In the original poem there are no unlikeable characters.

What is RT?
I suggest that you see it and decide for yourself. That's what I'm planning to do.
Riden

Post by Riden »

Top Gun, 1986, PG
peppers

Post by peppers »

Black Widow

The new release starring Scarlett Johansson. If you are into the Marvel genre you will probably enjoy this.

Jungle Cruise

The new release starring Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt. A trip down the Amazon river in search of an ancient tree that holds the power to change the future of medicine. A Raiders of the Lost Ark type of film.

Viewed on Amazon
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

The Midnight Sky - Netflix

Frustrating movie - I wanted to like it - but it came off as emotionally flat, somewhat predictable, and an obvious pastiche of various other movies.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Revenant on Blu-ray DVD, 2015, rated R, Leonardo DiCaprio. A fur trader gets mauled by a bear and tracks down the guy who betrayed him. A story of the will to live shown in graphic detail. The scenery is stunning, very artistic. This movie is an interesting change of pace and kept my attention. I liked it.
GoneOnTilt

Post by GoneOnTilt »

"I Care A Lot" starring Rosamund Pike.

A disturbing film about a professional conservator and the abuses of the conservatorship process. Poignant in light of some of the news lately.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

March of the Penguins (2005) - Fascinating story, stunning visuals, unique habits including some gender-reversal roles. It's hard enough for the thousands of penguins in their mass migration across the Antarctic ice under ferocious winter conditions, but there were humans there photographing it all. They are shown during the credits.

Even for those who aren't interested in animals, they will probably be astounded at how the film fills a knowledge gap they didn't even know they had. Penguins are not just a scattering of funny individuals waddling and falling over. They make up a communal society that acts together almost like The Borg in order to survive. The film also makes one wonder about evolution and biological imperatives -- is it really necessary for such cute and funny creatures to live such a harsh, miserable life?
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Just reupped my AMC A-List so I've been on a bit of a bender the last two weeks between my prior credits and my three movies/week:

1. Pig: Really enjoyable film. Well acted with enough questions throughout to keep things interesting. Nick Cage was amazing.
2. The Green Knight: most disappointing film I've seen in a while mostly because I love the original prose but this movie was just bad.
3. Snake Eyes: meh. Action sequences were somewhat interesting and a few small twists that might surprise some people.
4. Old: the ending is thought provoking but the movie itself wasnt very good. Acting was simply horrible.
5. Stillwater: Amanda Knox case knock-off movie but Matt Damon is superb in this. I liked it.
6. Forever Purge: It marks the end of the Purge series, keeps to the same formula so if you liked the others, you might like this.
7. Black Widow: just an ok Marvel movie and I'm a huge Marvel fan. Cutting this 20mins would have really helped.
8. F9: worst of the bunch by a mile. They should just kill off this franchise at this point.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

The Green Knight.

Fascinating. I maybe should rewatch it. I might have liked it more if I indulged in cannabis or something. But it at least was interesting and a welcome break (in my opinion) from virtually every other release it was competing with, which seems to be some part of a franchise (GI Joe, Marvel, Disney, Fast & Furious, The Purge, etc etc etc) where there is almost no distinguishing among movies. This one certainly stands out.
40 Years' Gatherin's

Post by 40 Years' Gatherin's »

I'm currently (re)watching the World at War documentary series for about the dozenth. It never gets old.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

The Green Knight. A strong contender for best movie of the year.

Highly recommended.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

jjunk wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:02 pm 7. Black Widow: just an ok Marvel movie and I'm a huge Marvel fan. Cutting this 20mins would have really helped.
For me, it was a lot of action and special effects and thin on plot. I had been wondering if the thin plot made more sense against a wider Marvel story arc; maybe not.

The one plus for me was that I've promised a European friend that I'd watch a Captain America movie. Captain America was mentioned seneral times in this film, so I'm hoping that counts. ;)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

jginseattle wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:27 am The Green Knight. A strong contender for best movie of the year.

Highly recommended.
Had never heard of this film, but it seems to be very polarizing. It has 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, but other sites have it scoring very low with audiences. The original story interests me, but I get the feeling that I would really dislike the film.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:10 pm
jginseattle wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:27 am The Green Knight. A strong contender for best movie of the year.

Highly recommended.
Had never heard of this film, but it seems to be very polarizing. It has 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, but other sites have it scoring very low with audiences. The original story interests me, but I get the feeling that I would really dislike the film.
Many of this year's best films could be considered to be polarizing: Pig, Zola, and The Sparks Brothers could easily be categorized as such.

I suspect that some may find The Green Knight to be too slow. It's not an action movie. It's a deliberately-paced and gorgeously-filmed adventure story. And it all adds up quite well. Upthread you will find very different opinions about it.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Eighties Night...

No Way Out (1987) - was wondering if it still held up. It does. It's an edge-of-the-seat thriller set in Washington D.C. It's the film that made Kevin Costner a star.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:03 pm March of the Penguins (2005) - Fascinating story, stunning visuals, unique habits including some gender-reversal roles. It's hard enough for the thousands of penguins in their mass migration across the Antarctic ice under ferocious winter conditions, but there were humans there photographing it all. They are shown during the credits.

Even for those who aren't interested in animals, they will probably be astounded at how the film fills a knowledge gap they didn't even know they had. Penguins are not just a scattering of funny individuals waddling and falling over. They make up a communal society that acts together almost like The Borg in order to survive. The film also makes one wonder about evolution and biological imperatives -- is it really necessary for such cute and funny creatures to live such a harsh, miserable life?
I saw this a long time ago and loved it. Fascinating creatures.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

bertilak wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:15 pm

What is RT?
Rotten Tomatoes, a review site.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

roamingzebra wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:05 am Eighties Night...

No Way Out (1987) - was wondering if it still held up. It does. It's an edge-of-the-seat thriller set in Washington D.C. It's the film that made Kevin Costner a star.
Ooh, blast from the past.
Nice surprise.
Sean Young was very good.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Highly recommended.
Read the wikipedia plot description. It sounded familiar to one I remembered staring Sean Connery. Went looking.

Found "Sword of the Valiant" from 1984: https://www.google.com/search?q=green+k ... an+connery

Seeing it once was enough.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Of Human Bondage (1934) Bette Davis, Leslie Howard, Reginald Denny, Reginald Owen, Alan Hale, Sr.

A young man finds himself attracted to a cold and unfeeling waitress who may ultimately destroy them both. From the novel by W. Somerset Maugham.

Bette Davis’s breakout starring role. She was absolutely riveting! Recommended. I watched the DVD.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Highly recommended.
Anyone interested in this movie should read Marie Borroff's translation of the original: https://www.amazon.com/Gawain-Knight-No ... 393532461/

An excerpt: Gawain's friends are sad that Gawain's quest to meet the Green Knight will almost certainly be fatal...
    There was much secret sorrow suffered that day
    That one so good as Gawain must go in this fashion
    To bear a bitter blow, and his bright sword
    • lay by

He said, "Why should I tarry?'"
      And smiled with tranquil eye;
      "In destinies sad or merry,
      True men can but try."
The poem is divided into stanzas. Each stanza's main pert is alliterative with a rhythm similar to "Baa baa black sheep, have you any wool" followed by a rhyming "bob and wheel." Above the bob is "lay by" and the wheel is the four rhyming lines that follow, with a rhyme of the bob.

Some may recognize that my Boglehead "handle" (bertilak) comes from Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Annette. A musical. Story and music by Ron and Russell Mael from Sparks. It's amusing at times, but ultimately it's fatuous.

In theaters now.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

For detective story lovers, nothing beats the final season (season 7) of BOSCH on Amazon Prime.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:39 am Pirates of the Caribbean: the Curse of the Black Pearl on DVD, Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, 2003, rated PG. The first of the series. Highly entertaining. I liked it.
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest on DVD, Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, 2006, rated PG-13. The second of the series. I thought it was as good as the first movie. They also target the adults, as a few of the lines in the movie were funny - but would not be understood by kids. I liked it.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Antonio Gaudi

DVR'd from TCM a while back. It's a 1984 documentary on the artist Antonio Gaudi. Very little dialogue, mostly lingering scenes of his work, particularly the architecture. Once I got into the slow pace, it was like leisurely flipping through a large coffee-table art book, but with music and motion.

The cathedral Sagrada Familia in Barcelona is the final subject. In 1984 it was not yet finished after 102 years of construction, and did not have much of an interior in place. It's now expected to be completed in 2026.
Last edited by tooluser on Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Sparking Cyanide, on Britbox and Amazon Prime.

This is a 2003 made for TV movie, an Agatha Christie mystery set in modern London.

Elderly grandparents are unlikely secret agents, who investigate the death of the beautiful young wife of a multi-millionaire at a celebratory dinner held in an upscale restaurant. Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Grizzly II: Revenge

Other than the writing, directing, cinematography, editing, and special effects, this movie has a lot going for it. It has some amazing cast members: George Clooney, Laura Dern, Charlie Sheen, Louise Fletcher, Deborah Foreman, and John Rhys-Davies (whose axe-wielding skills in this movie undoubtedly prepared him well for the role of Gimli in The Lord of the Rings trilogy). As you might expect, the acting is good.

Filmed in 1983 but not released until 2020. If you watch it, you will understand why.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

tooluser wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:56 pm Grizzly II: Revenge

Other than the writing, directing, cinematography, editing, and special effects, this movie has a lot going for it. It has some amazing cast members: George Clooney, Laura Dern, Charlie Sheen, Louise Fletcher, Deborah Foreman, and John Rhys-Davies (whose axe-wielding skills in this movie undoubtedly prepared him well for the role of Gimli in The Lord of the Rings trilogy). As you might expect, the acting is good.

Filmed in 1983 but not released until 2020. If you watch it, you will understand why.
Great review. I understand even without watching.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

The Courier (2020). Stars Benedict Cumberbatch.
Appears to have been released in the UK under the title Ironbark.

If you enjoy LeCarre-style cold war spy stories, this one is a must see.

Based on "true" events during and leading up to the Cuban missile crisis.

That said, the jury is still out on whether Oleg Penkovsky was a genuine defector, or simply feeding disinformation to the west. In any case, the movie takes a point of view (genuine).

I rate it 4 stars out of 5.
amceagle

Post by amceagle »

The 39 Steps. Freaking classic.

I still rent my DVDs from Netflix :)
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"12 Angry Men" (1957)

Per IMDb, "A jury holdout attempts to prevent a miscarriage of justice by forcing his colleagues to reconsider the evidence." Henry Fonda is the holdout. Film is fascinating.

This was my first time viewing, I'd always been turned off by the title. Who wants to watch a movie about 12 angry anythings?! But it's a classic, and it's on most lists of Hollywood's best films.
Blues

Post by Blues »

amceagle wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:58 pm The 39 Steps. Freaking classic.

I still rent my DVDs from Netflix :)
One of my old favorites. (The book as well.)

Post by 123 »

Suicide Squad (2021) in theaters and HBO Max - A waste of your time.

Even seeing it for "free" on HBO Max involves wasting 2 hours of your life. I sacrificed my time to save yours.

I tuned out the dialogue after 5 minutes. The film has some visually interesting things so as long as you don't pay any attention to the pretty much absent plot maybe you might be able to tolerate it. The film's animal characters include a weasel, a shark, rats, and starfish/sea stars. Lots of innovative gore. Just because a movie can be made doesn't mean it should be.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

tooluser wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:56 pm Grizzly II: Revenge

If you like Grizzly movies be sure to see Grizzly Man (2005) directed by Werner Herzog! It’s about the misadventures of one Timothy Treadwell.
stomie

Post by stomie »

Lorelei
Pig

Both excellent
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

tooluser wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:39 am Antonio Gaudi

DVR'd from TCM a while back. It's a 1984 documentary on the artist Antonio Gaudi. Very little dialogue, mostly lingering scenes of his work, particularly the architecture. Once I got into the slow pace, it was like leisurely flipping through a large coffee-table art book, but with music and motion.

The cathedral Sagrada Familia in Barcelona is the final subject. In 1984 it was not yet finished after 102 years of construction, and did not have much of an interior in place. It's now expected to be completed in 2026.
Thanks for this. My wife and I took a Viking cruise in 2019 that departed from Barcelona. The Sagrada Família was one of the high points of our time in Barcelona, along with Park Güell. I'll have to check out this documentary.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Sweet Bean, on Hulu. Japanese film that at first glance does for dorayaki what Jiro did for sushi. But the movie becomes much more involved, and was a very touching watch.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcwKPRfTMa4