What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hfj

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by hfj »

Family outing for In the Heights for my daughter's birthday (her high school did it pre-pandemic and she was part of the crew). First time back in the theatre, and it was really great.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

The Sparks Brothers. Edgar Wright's two hour and fifteen minute documentary about the band Sparks. Highly entertaining. Highly recommended

I loved the movie but I'm not particularly fond of the band's music.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Star Trek on Blu-ray DVD, 2009, rated PG-13. This is the first movie with Chris Pines and Zachary Quito as Kirk and Spock. Very entertaining. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Why Women Kill . on Paramount Plus. A series that runs just like a movie.

Dark comedy. I enjoy period pieces (1/3rd of it is set in the early 60s, 1/3rd in the 80s)...so costumes, sets and social mores are fun to watch.

I wouldn't call it great because I prefer more subtle plots....but it is fun, so there is that.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Series can be discussed in [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?].
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
rick51

Post by rick51 »

Spiderman: Homecoming. Best viewed with tweenaged grandson.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

I have watched three movies in the last week
"My Dinner With Andre" followed by its polar opposite, "My Breakfast With Blassie". And then, "The Shooting" with Jack Nicholson. I would not recommend any of them.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

We rented The Courier from Amazon Prime Video recently, starring Benedict Cumberbatch as the British businessman Greville Wynne, who worked on behalf of MI-6 with the Soviet GRU agent Oleg Penkovsky in the early 1960s.

We liked it, and it led me to do some reading about this real-life Cold War episode.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180977265/
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Big Gundown (1966, Italy, subtitled) Lee Van Cleef, Tomas Milian, Gérard Herter, directed by Sergio Sollima, music by Ennio Morricone.

Unofficial lawman John Corbett hunts down Cuchillo Sanchez, a Mexican peasant accused of a terrible crime.

I’ve seen all the major Italian westerns so I “needed” to see this one. This is supposed to be the best “non-Sergio Leone” spaghetti western. I liked it because of the cinematography, the music, and I like Lee Van Cleef. He didn’t disappoint.

Gérard Herter was a hoot as the Austrian gunslinger Baron von Schulenberg. I streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard with Ryan Reynolds, Sam Jackson and Salma Hayek. Saw it in IMAX so the stunts really popped but the movie itself was just ok. Hayek was actually the highlight as the crazy wife character. If you liked the first one, you'd probably like this one as well even though I didnt think it was as good.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

On Netflix:
I watched The Stowaway (76% on RT)about an accidental stowaway on a manned 2 year mission to mars. As the trip was planned for 3 people, the addition of a 4th causes problems with the oxygen supply and CO2 scrubbers, resulting in a moral quandery for the astronauts. Has a pretty good eva scene, nowhere near as good as gravity tho. Worth a watch for SciFi fans.

I also saw I'm Thinking of Ending Things. From Charlie Kaufman who wrote such great films as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, all of which I loved, so was looking forward to it. Plot synopsis from RT: Full of misgivings, a young woman travels with her new boyfriend to his parents' secluded farm.
This was recommended on a youtube video about unusual films that are worth watching. I love me some unusal films(David Lynch for example, plus have enjoyed the above films), so I was looking forward to it. I am at a loss for words on how bad I thought this was. The performances by the actors are great, particularly Jesse Buckley, but I still have no idea of what the plot was,(men are bad? Relationships are doomed? Life sucks and then you die?) why the events that occured happened, or why this movie was made. I was tempted to end it all myself by the time it was over. Unfortunately, I hate to stop watching a movie once I start (I am the same way about books), but this one made me want to rethink that policy. RT Top critics gives it 86% with 49% audience score. Why it isn't 6% is beyond me. This RT critic quote summed it up best for me:
Kudos to Kaufman for showing once again he's the smartest guy in the room, but at this point, he can have the room to himself.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

fsrph wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:24 pm
sixtyforty wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:18 am
fsrph wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:34 pm
sixtyforty wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:26 am We saw "A Quiet Place Part II" this weekend. Excellent movie. Highly recommended. The movie begins with Day 1 when they arrived, which was quite interesting. I actually liked it better than the first. If you want an edge of your seat thriller the entire time.... this is it.
Thanks for the review. I've been meaning to see this movie. I heard it was a great movie. But if I didn't see the original "A Quiet Place" will I still be able to follow the plot in Part II?

Francis
Yes, I think you would be able to follow the plot fine. It's just that there are references and details in part II, that will not mean anything to you without seeing the original. Both films are great.
Thanks. I plan to see it tomorrow. I'll report back.

Francis
Reporting back. Saw A Quiet Place Part 2. I thought it was very good but I wouldn't call it great. Certainly worth seeing tho. Story was innovative and action scenes were well done. I enjoyed "Nobody" more but others may disagree.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Wings of Hope (1998) Juliane Koepcke, Werner Herzog, directed by Werner Herzog.

A documentary about the amazing true story of seventeen year old Juliane Koepcke, the only survivor of the LANSA Flight 508 plane crash into the Peruvian jungle on Christmas Eve, 1971. The plane broke apart in midair and she fell, still strapped into her seat, two miles straight down, and survived the impact with only a concussion and minor injuries!

“The next thing I knew, I was no longer inside the cabin,” she recalled. “I was outside, in the open air. I hadn’t left the plane; the plane had left me.”

But she then had to trek her way out of the jungle to reach civilization without food or shelter. Her upbringing as the child of jungle zoologists was of great help as she had jungle survival skills.

Koepcke and Herzog return to the crash site where she recounts the crash and how she survived her eleven-day trek out.

What’s also amazing is that the filmmaker Werner Herzog was in the same airport that night and almost boarded the same flight. He was in Peru to scout locations for his film Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972) which is also an interesting film, by the way. I always enjoy his films.

There’s a recent story in The New York Times about it entitled She Fell Nearly 2 Miles, and Walked Away.

You can watch it for free on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/rlJVIcCPIl8
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

Just Mercy.

It is a story about a Harvard Law graduate.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

A Shot in the Dark, on Amazon Prime.

This is the best Pink Panther movie. It stars Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau, Herbert Lom as his long-suffering boss Commissioner Dreyfus, and Elke Sommer as the beautiful murder suspect. Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:26 am A Shot in the Dark, on Amazon Prime.

This is the best Pink Panther movie. It stars Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau, Herbert Lom as his long-suffering boss Commissioner Dreyfus, and Elke Sommer as the beautiful murder suspect. Recommended.
Last I watched, I was in a rit of fealous jage!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

I'm a seasonal movie fan...

During the hottest days of summer I've got to see The Seven Year Itch. All Marilyn Monroe can think about is how to cool down and love when she almost kills her downstairs neighbor by accidentally dropping a tomato plant on his head, but misses.

When the peonies bloom in our garden, as they are now--My Fair Lady. We watched it over the last two evenings and this morning we woke up singing "I'm Getting Married in the Morning"

In late summer, early autumn, On Golden Pond

Then there is Steel Magnolias--Last summer I had an outdoor film evening on our terrace with some dear girlfriends.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

CloseEnough wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:01 am Just Mercy.

It is a story about a Harvard Law graduate.
That way undersells what the movie is about.
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

Yes, you are right, I have undersold what the movie is about.
Last edited by CloseEnough on Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I'm about halfway through the 1956 movie (i.e. the real one) of Around the World in Eighty Days. I'm watching it in HD, but on a tablet... it's a lot better than I remembered it. My dad took us to it on its first run but I was really too young to appreciate it. All I remember from the time was how long it was.

It's also stunning just how great movies are once they stabilize the frames. Even in the old days and even on a first-run house there was always just a tiny big of jiggle.

I didn't appreciate it as a kid because I just wasn't in the mood for what is, basically, a combination of travelogue punctuated by vaudeville acts. I kept focussing on the plot... and not "getting" that e.g. David Niven's acting isn't intended to be realistic. I haven't read the book in a looooong time so I don't know if that is, in fact, being faithful to Jules Verne. But, yes, you want to sit back and enjoy the feeling that you really are traveling on a train traveling slowly through India. The movie is not really about plot, it's about scenic grandeur.

I only realized this time that the movie is almost an "answer" to This Is Cinerama. The opening follows the same pattern: a normal-sized 4:3 screen image of a deep-voiced talking head, in this case Edward R. Murrow instead of Lowell Thomas, followed by a preconditioning by forcing you to look at some old-fashioned black-and-white movies--in this case a generous excerpt from Georges Melies' "From the Earth to the Moon..."--and then the awe-inspiring moment when the screen opens up to show us full Todd-AO grandeur.

And that part is almost worth the price of admission alone, because the big "wow!," accompanied by much shallow blarney and the hope that technology can be used for good, is a rocket launch. Of an unmanned, suborbital, pre-Mercury, piddle-dinking little thing--WAC Corporal? Aerobee-Hi? With some nausea-inspiring onboard footage from an unstabilized and wildly spinning camera, with possibly a glimpse of the curvature of the earth. Very annoyingly, Murrow refers to Verne as having described "a rocket ship" when the spacecraft in both his book and Melies' movie is an unpowered projectile fired from a gun. Actually the whole introduction is very weird--it is almost as if they had planned to make A Trip to the Moon and shot the intro, and then decided at the last minute to make Around the World in Eighty Days instead.

I have to admit neither my tablet nor our cheap TV is really up to it, this might be something to watch on our kids' fancy "home theatre" setup.

Of course I've been reading up about it and was fascinated to discover that in Spanish-speaking markets it was presented as starring Cantinflas. I only learned a few years ago the obvious reason why English speakers don't quite "get" his brilliance: it was partly verbal. There is an actual dictionary word Cantinflanear, meaning to talk like Cantinflas... apparently some combination of malapropisms or doubletalk or Yogi Berra-isms?

Anyway I'm finding it very entertaining--slow-paced just as I found it in 1956, but I now have a disposition better adapted to enjoying it. Like The House on the Rock in Wisconsin, there is a great deal of pleasure to be had simply from good, honest wretched excess.
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

We are watching all of the James Bond movies on blu-ray in chronological order. I honestly enjoyed the slower pace so far of the first two (Dr. No and From Russia with Love), although my husband thought they were boring. Goldfinger had a better mix of action/dialogue. Next up tonight is Thunderball!

I find it kind of weird to watch kissing in older movies, it looks like they just smash their mouths together awkwardly. I'm not sure why they are prudish about kissing when they are both romantically entwined in bathing suits.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

mhalley wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:29 pm On Netflix:
I watched The Stowaway (76% on RT)about an accidental stowaway on a manned 2 year mission to mars. As the trip was planned for 3 people, the addition of a 4th causes problems with the oxygen supply and CO2 scrubbers, resulting in a moral quandery for the astronauts. Has a pretty good eva scene, nowhere near as good as gravity tho. Worth a watch for SciFi fans.

I also saw I'm Thinking of Ending Things. From Charlie Kaufman who wrote such great films as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, all of which I loved, so was looking forward to it. Plot synopsis from RT: Full of misgivings, a young woman travels with her new boyfriend to his parents' secluded farm.
This was recommended on a youtube video about unusual films that are worth watching. I love me some unusal films(David Lynch for example, plus have enjoyed the above films), so I was looking forward to it. I am at a loss for words on how bad I thought this was. The performances by the actors are great, particularly Jesse Buckley, but I still have no idea of what the plot was,(men are bad? Relationships are doomed? Life sucks and then you die?) why the events that occured happened, or why this movie was made. I was tempted to end it all myself by the time it was over. Unfortunately, I hate to stop watching a movie once I start (I am the same way about books), but this one made me want to rethink that policy. RT Top critics gives it 86% with 49% audience score. Why it isn't 6% is beyond me. This RT critic quote summed it up best for me:
Kudos to Kaufman for showing once again he's the smartest guy in the room, but at this point, he can have the room to himself.
To each his own I guess. I loved I'm thinking of Ending Things. Once you realize the whole car drive portion is in the mind of the lonely old man it kind of makes sense.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:25 am I'm about halfway through the 1956 movie (i.e. the real one) of Around the World in Eighty Days. I'm watching it in HD, but on a tablet...
Nice post. My parents took me along to Around the World on its initial theatrical release too, in 1956. It was one of the first visits to a movie theater that I can recall. I enjoyed it then and more upon later viewings on VHS and still later on DVD/BluRay. In later viewings I recognized all the cameos. Not so on my initial viewing! By the way, you really must watch it on a bigger screen, the bigger the better.

On a side note I was in Mexico City when Walt Disney died and the local newspaper had an article with the headline that Cantinflas had expressed his sorrow over his passing, I remember that clearly.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:15 pm
nisiprius wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:25 am I'm about halfway through the 1956 movie (i.e. the real one) of Around the World in Eighty Days. I'm watching it in HD, but on a tablet...
Nice post. My parents took me along to Around the World on its initial theatrical release too, in 1956. It was one of the first visits to a movie theater that I can recall. I enjoyed it then and more upon later viewings on VHS and still later on DVD/BluRay. In later viewings I recognized all the cameos. Not so on my initial viewing! By the way, you really must watch it on a bigger screen, the bigger the better.

On a side note I was in Mexico City when Walt Disney died and the local newspaper had an article with the headline that Cantinflas had expressed his sorrow over his passing, I remember that clearly.
Younger, I didn't see the film until after the 1970s Saturday morning cartoon series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_th ... TV_series)

I always wondered why the cartoon series emphasized Passepartout. The show was made in Australia. Probably a combination of the original actor's international fame and the comedic aspect of his role being thought more amenable to a cartoon.

Excellent film, right up there with Smokey and The Bandit.
Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton »

The third Conjuring. The weakest of the three movies, but the worst Conjuring movie is still better than most horror movies coming out it seems. As always Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga absolutely make the movie.
canidothat

Post by canidothat »

last film i saw was bridesmaids when my girlfriend bugged me to watch it with her for our movie night. it was funny, which is to be expected since almost all of the cast are good comediennes.
snapping moments–one bajillion buttons at a time
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

To Kill a Mockingbird, on DVD.

A classic, starring Gregory Peck. Recommend. I think that we will be rewatching old favorites for awhile.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

"Donut King", documentary about the man who is the origin of the Cambodian-dominated donut industry in California. Fascinating story, that I had no clue about despite being from that area.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Love Punch (2013)

Recently divorced Kate (Emma Thompson) and ex-husband
Richard (Pierce Brosnan) unite (cautiously on her part) to
go after a scoundrel who obliterated the company and the
pension they were both counting on.
Silly premise where they go to Paris to steal a 10 million
dollar diamond from the corporate shark's wife. Totally
farcical and far-fetched but I enjoyed it.
Viewed on Amazon Prime.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

wilson08 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:42 am The Love Punch (2013)

Recently divorced Kate (Emma Thompson) and ex-husband
Richard (Pierce Brosnan) unite (cautiously on her part) to
go after a scoundrel who obliterated the company and the
pension they were both counting on.
Silly premise where they go to Paris to steal a 10 million
dollar diamond from the corporate shark's wife. Totally
farcical and far-fetched but I enjoyed it.
Viewed on Amazon Prime.
Very predictable plot, but a fun movie :) .
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Star Trek: The Motion Picture on DVD, Director's Edition, 2001, rated PG. The first Star Trek movie (1979) remastered with a few additional scenes.

Looking at this 20 years later, the special effects seemed to be as out-dated as watching a 1950s movie in the late 1970s. The music from this movie was used for Star Trek: The Next Generation series sequel. A classic. I liked it.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

CardinalRule wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:36 am We rented The Courier from Amazon Prime Video recently, starring Benedict Cumberbatch as the British businessman Greville Wynne, who worked on behalf of MI-6 with the Soviet GRU agent Oleg Penkovsky in the early 1960s.

We liked it, and it led me to do some reading about this real-life Cold War episode.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180977265/
Agreed! Very good flick!
Edit: the link provided is very interesting but a Spoiler Alert if you want to enjoy the suspense of the movie.
Last edited by Capsu78 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Lost City of Z, on Amazon Prime.

This is a movie based on the life and multiple expeditions by Percy Fawcett, a surveyor, mapmaker, member of the Royal Geographic Society, and officer in the British Army. He led jungle expeditions in Bolivia, Peru and Brazil, 1906-1925. He disappeared without trace in 1925 in the Amazon jungle while searching for pre-Columbian city. I enjoyed the movie.

His expeditions were apparently the inspiration for Arthur Conan Doyle's novel The Lost World.
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

"Holler" (2020), an independent film about a young woman, but really siblings, struggling to make it in rust-belt Ohio. The film is sobering and, to me, evocative of Winter's Bone and Nomadland. It is the director's first film, features great performances by the leads and conveys much with economy.

Available on demand on Apple TV.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-CFpCQbIek
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

"The Ice Road".........starring Liam Neesom.....thumbs down.....Not worth the 1.0 hr. 48 minutes ☹
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

The Gentleman. On Showtime. Matthew McConaughey with a mostly British cast, set in the UK. Same director as "Snatch" and has a similar feel and pace. I enjoyed the movie and would recommend, but I think I liked Snatch better.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JBTX wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:32 pm The Gentleman. On Showtime. Matthew McConaughey with a mostly British cast, set in the UK. Same director as "Snatch" and has a similar feel and pace. I enjoyed the movie and would recommend, but I think I liked Snatch better.
We watched this pretty recently as well. Entertaining, but Guy Ritchie is definitely a one-trick pony. Agree that Snatch is the best of the handful of very similar films.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

State of Play (2009)
Netflix.
Political thriller with a wow cast (Russell Crowe, Helen Mirren, Ben Affleck, Viola Davis and Rachel McAdams!)
A little contrived towards the end but tense throughout.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

A pair of new ones on Disney+
Luca (Disney-Pixar)
Raya and the Last Dragon (Disney)

Both wonderful in their own ways, but for animation and storyline, I'd give it to Raya.
Very reminiscent of Hayao Miyazaki style, who IMHO is the true animation master.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

tenkuky wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:29 am State of Play (2009)
Netflix.
Political thriller with a wow cast (Russell Crowe, Helen Mirren, Ben Affleck, Viola Davis and Rachel McAdams!)
A little contrived towards the end but tense throughout.
As with House of Cards, the British original was far better: State of Play (2003). [I don't know if it's available for streaming. Also this is a 6-part TV mini-series not a movie.]
Shalom Aleichem

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

tenkuky wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:35 am A pair of new ones on Disney+
Luca (Disney-Pixar)

Both wonderful in their own ways, but for animation and storyline, I'd give it to Raya.
Very reminiscent of Hayao Miyazaki style, who IMHO is the true animation master.
Have to disagree... In Raya the lesson learned is you can stab people in the back, leave them to die, and repeat again and again when given more chances, but they'll still forgive you in the end. I thought it was a terrible movie and a terrible lesson.

Haven't seen Luca.

Miyazaki movies I think are completely different. Raya seemed to me to be typical Disney, but not the good Disney, the insipid Disney. My two cents. YMMV!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Rashomon on Netflx blu-ray. Same director as Seven Samurai. Enjoyed it, but it's a bit depressing and honestly I find Seven Samurai more enjoyable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashomon
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

fishandgolf wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:23 pm "The Ice Road".........starring Liam Neesom.....thumbs down.....Not worth the 1.0 hr. 48 minutes ☹
This movie is an American remake of a Norwegian movie "In Order Of Disappearence" with subtitles in English. The Norwegian version is better, and I say that as a Liam Neesom fan.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

deleted - moved to the TV thread
Last edited by pshonore on Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chazas

Post by chazas »

Fast 5 on blu ray. Working my way up in the series in preparation for streaming or 4K disc of F9.
Shalom Aleichem

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

chazas wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:51 pm Fast 5 on blu ray. Working my way up in the series in preparation for streaming or 4K disc of F9.
I would watch it but I bet it is impossible to follow if you haven't seen the first eight (!).
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Shalom Aleichem wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:09 pm
tenkuky wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:35 am A pair of new ones on Disney+
Luca (Disney-Pixar)

Have to disagree... In Raya the lesson learned is you can stab people in the back, leave them to die, and repeat again and again when given more chances, but they'll still forgive you in the end. I thought it was a terrible movie and a terrible lesson.

Haven't seen Luca.

Miyazaki movies I think are completely different. Raya seemed to me to be typical Disney, but not the good Disney, the insipid Disney. My two cents. YMMV!
Raya was much better to look at, both stories were simply not good. I also tend to not totally agree with the morality lessons Disney pushes on kids. Kind of what I expected.
5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension »

Capsu78 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:42 pm
fishandgolf wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:23 pm "The Ice Road".........starring Liam Neesom.....thumbs down.....Not worth the 1.0 hr. 48 minutes ☹
This movie is an American remake of a Norwegian movie "In Order Of Disappearence" with subtitles in English. The Norwegian version is better, and I say that as a Liam Neesom fan.
The Ice Road is not a remake of In Order Of Disappearance. The remake is called Cold Pursuit, also starring Liam Neeson :happy
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
chazas

Post by chazas »

Shalom Aleichem wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:07 pm
chazas wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:51 pm Fast 5 on blu ray. Working my way up in the series in preparation for streaming or 4K disc of F9.
I would watch it but I bet it is impossible to follow if you haven't seen the first eight (!).
The whole series is hard to follow anyway with characters dying and coming back to life and weird timeline shifts. Best enjoyed as mindless fun.
Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 »

Great thread for movie ideas.

We’ve watched a few this weekend:
The Legend of Tarzan (the new one, very clean, lite, not stress-inducing. I was entertained.)
Osiris Child - a kitschy sci-fi flick. Enjoyed guessing to what movies an homage was for various scenes.
Breach - another sci-fi with Bruce Willis. We’re on a plaque movie kick.

We get movies from the library. I can’t imagine why they haven’t done a plaque/end of days feature yet :wink:went through all the Jesse Stone movies. Just because.
Please spell out new acronyms. Thank you.