Will not using my dishwasher cause problems?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jlawrence01

Re: Will not using my dishwasher cause problems?

Post by jlawrence01 »

The house that I just sold today had central air conditioning which IMO was unnecessary in Chicagoland. We would run it for two days a year in June after the carpet cleaners came in to dry the carpet. We have done it for 14 years.

The central AC runs fine although we did have it serviced a few months ago before the house went on the market.

As for the dishwater, why not remove it and have a carpenter come in and design a use for that space. In my new kitchen, I would do that in a minute but my wife would go crazy.
Topic Author
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

jlawrence01 wrote:
As for the dishwater, why not remove it and have a carpenter come in and design a use for that space. In my new kitchen, I would do that in a minute but my wife would go crazy.
I have 2x the cabinet space I need so the last thing I need is more cabinet space! It's fine just sitting there with the water shut off.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

I rarely used my dishwasher, except maybe a couple of times a year to maintain it. Perhaps I did not use it as much as I should have, because it broke. I just purchased a new Samsung dishwasher and have been researching how often I need to use it to maintain it. Consensus appears to be about a week or two. And then I stumbled upon this old Boglehead thread from 2014. Are there any knowledgeable Bogleheads out there that can add to the discussion?
fujiters

Post by fujiters »

vbdoug wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:36 am I rarely used my dishwasher, except maybe a couple of times a year to maintain it. Perhaps I did not use it as much as I should have, because it broke. I just purchased a new Samsung dishwasher and have been researching how often I need to use it to maintain it. Consensus appears to be about a week or two. And then I stumbled upon this old Boglehead thread from 2014. Are there any knowledgeable Bogleheads out there that can add to the discussion?
Why bother replacing the broken one if you only use it a couple times a year (and would prefer to use it even less)?
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

GE says a short cycle about once a week.

https://products.geappliances.com/appli ... ntId=19263
westie

Post by westie »

some day when you sell your home a home inspector will run it to make sure it operates with no leaks.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

zaplunken wrote: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:29 pm
denovo wrote: How is it possible you never use the dishwasher? If you are washing everything by hand, I think you should change. From a water usage and dollar standpoint, using the dishwasher is more efficient and of course time saving.
Huh? Because I wash by hand. I never bought that "it's cheaper to run the dishwasher". It's using electricity and hot water. For one person it'd take 2 weeks to fill the machine. If I put them in dirty they'd come out dirty after sitting that long and if I rinse or wash them 1st well then what's the point!
Same here. If they come out dirty, you're either using ineffective detergent or the washer isn't heating the water hot enough. And what the point is, is of course you rinse off plates with chunks of food left, but that's not the same as washing. Plus with this virus situation, the temperature the washer heats the water is much higher than what comes out of the tap or that your hands can take which is much more effective in killing viruses. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

atikovi wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:24 am
zaplunken wrote: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:29 pm
denovo wrote: How is it possible you never use the dishwasher? If you are washing everything by hand, I think you should change. From a water usage and dollar standpoint, using the dishwasher is more efficient and of course time saving.
Huh? Because I wash by hand. I never bought that "it's cheaper to run the dishwasher". It's using electricity and hot water. For one person it'd take 2 weeks to fill the machine. If I put them in dirty they'd come out dirty after sitting that long and if I rinse or wash them 1st well then what's the point!
Same here. If they come out dirty, you're either using ineffective detergent or the washer isn't heating the water hot enough. And what the point is, is of course you rinse off plates with chunks of food left, but that's not the same as washing. Plus with this virus situation, the temperature the washer heats the water is much higher than what comes out of the tap or that your hands can take which is much more effective in killing viruses. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
Plus, most machines have a "rinse only" cycle that is short and certainly lower in water usage than hand-rinsing. Perfect for small families who take a couple of days to fill the dishwasher enough to run it on a fully clean cycle.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Reminds me. I have to run my portable generator this weekend.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I have a Bosch dishwasher coming with the new house 14 years ago. We rarely used it. Last month, we found that it did not fill water. Check the YouTube videos and the water inlet valve was damaged. Ordered one from Amazon $29. But I couldn't get one switch from the old part, bought one from Home depot, $7.00. Then I fixed the dishwasher.
We plan to run it once or twice a month from now. We only have two persons in house, I really don't think it is necessary to have a dishwasher, but any house must have one, I guess.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Whole house generators run monthly, at least, for maintenance. It is built into their programming. There's a reason mechanicals need to be exercised. Seals need "massaging." Valves need to be opened and backed off to avoid freezing. Relay posts need to be engaged. Lubrication needs to be broken and distributed. Stagnant water in the pump needs to be ejected and refreshed. Etc.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

I resisted putting in a dishwasher for 7 years after we bought our "newish" home because it was such a convenient place to put the trash bin, and because I grew up without a dishwasher, and in our family, I'm the dishwasher. So, didn't see a need to spend the money on one which would likely be a "high end" one.
We eventually got a nice dishwasher and DW is in heaven. And, I actually have to wash less dishes and kitchen things.

Point is, you don't have to have a dishwasher.

But, since you have a nice one, run it occasionally so it does not get funky.

If it is best to rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, why not just hand wash them to begin with?

If one is OCD, which is more rewarding, using a dishwasher or hand washing dishes?
j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Toons wrote: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:31 pm We use ours about every other day. :happy

"Also keep in mind, washing dishes by hand uses much more water than using a dishwashers. Using an ENERGY STAR qualified dishwashers instead of hand washing will save you annually 5,000 gallons of water, $40 in utility costs, and 230 hours of your time".

http://energystar.supportportal.com/lin ... es-washers
My in-laws always hand wash everything. It used to drive me crazy.

But then I saw how MIL loaded the dishwasher and then that drove me crazy too. If there was a medal for the least effective way to load a dishwasher so that half the dishes are still dirty, she would win every time. :oops:
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:37 am
If it is best to rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, why not just hand wash them to begin with?
Because you're supposed to rinse dishes when you put them in the sink, not when you get around to cleaning them :mrgreen:
inverter

Post by inverter »

Dishwashers are the best. I recently moved to NYC so am finding out first hand that life without stinks.

OP, try 2-3 weeks of using your dishwasher in place of hand washing. Scrape the food off and run it once a day. It’s far more economical in terms of water usage than hand washing and gets the dishes far cleaner than you can do by hand.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

We got a new D/W and Washer in the last 5 years and are impressed just how much better in water usage they are compared to our older models (both around year 2000). The D/W really is frugal with water.
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

I never understood the ‘rinse and scrape’ crowd. The only thing that I absolutely don’t put into my dishwasher is popcorn seeds and bones. Other than that, the Bosch is practically a garbage disposal as well as a dishwasher. Ok, maybe I’m going a little overboard, but modern dishwashers don’t even require scraping or rinsing.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I don't like using a dishwasher. By the time I load it, let it wash and then unload it, I may as well do it myself. I did not use the dishwasher we had in CO for years. When we got ready to sell, it would not work (we tested it when we moved in). The plumber said water sits in it between uses and keeps the seals in good order and the motor working. Now I use the one I have every two weeks.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

thewizzer wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:17 am I never understood the ‘rinse and scrape’ crowd. The only thing that I absolutely don’t put into my dishwasher is popcorn seeds and bones. Other than that, the Bosch is practically a garbage disposal as well as a dishwasher. Ok, maybe I’m going a little overboard, but modern dishwashers don’t even require scraping or rinsing.
Some brands even have a grinder or mini garbage disposal in them. I don't think the Bosch whisper silent ones have it (it would be too noisy) but I'm a huge fan a Bosch.
My only complaint is the beeping after it's finished. Why is incessant beeping the factory default setting on a silent model?
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

unclescrooge wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:51 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:37 am
Because you're supposed to rinse dishes when you put them in the sink, not when you get around to cleaning them :mrgreen:
But, if you hand wash dishes right after using them, then . . . . . . . ?

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

People really don't use dishwashers because they want to save money? The median income on here seems to be about a billion dollars a year and yet we're wasting time to save 6 cents of water. Water and electricity are really pretty cheap... Much cheaper than my time is worth to me.

Family of four here and everyone just scrapes off the big scraps into our compost bin and then puts their dirty dishes, utensils, and cups into the Bosch after mealtime. No rinsing. We run it every night. Modern DW use very little water or power compared to hand washing, never mind the huge pile of dishes we'd have on the counter...

But hey, to each their own.
Yinks

Post by Yinks »

"Also keep in mind, washing dishes by hand uses much more water than using a dishwashers. Using an ENERGY STAR qualified dishwashers instead of hand washing will save you annually 5,000 gallons of water, $40 in utility costs, and 230 hours of your time".

+1

Why aren't you using the dishwasher? Do you just not have any dishes to wash?
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Yinks wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:31 am

+1

Why aren't you using the dishwasher? Do you just not have any dishes to wash?
Paper plates? Plastic utensils? Ethiopian?
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

stupidkid wrote: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:48 am When the plumber turned the water on and ran a cycle, it leaked prodigiously, damaging the hardwood floors in the kitchen.
Always have a tray installed below the dishwasher. Also a leak detector with alarm.

If you only run the dishwasher occasionally, this is especially important.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

I think the answer to the original poster's question is "yes".

As the "original" re-poster for 2020, the answers have been:
1. weekly
2. occasionally [twice]
3. 2-3 weeks
4. 2 weeks

Therefore, I plan to use my dishwasher every two weeks to maintain it.

A poster asked me why I would replace it if I rarely use it. My refrigerator broke, my old stove was hard-wired , and my microwave had a crack. Besides the fact that my dishwasher was not working, the base plate would fall off due to previous damage. So I replaced everything. It was time.

As a further aside, you can save money by purchasing a bundle of appliances. And I did that with an online merchant. Or so I thought. When I called to check on my order, they said it would take up to a month to receive my purchases. Due to the quarantine, there is a huge backlog. I went to Best Buy and showed them my order. They actually beat the price and delivered my appliances three days later.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Color me ignorant. In 2017 I had to move away for 5 months (winter & spring). Turned off the water where it came into the house and drained all the pipes. Dishwasher went unused during that time. Not knowing any better, when I returned I loaded it and used it as if there was no downtime. Nothing bad happened and it has worked just fine ever since. Bosch.

(the garbage disposal though, was locked up solid; had to use the special wrench that came with it to break it free)

In 1993 I bought a house with a dishwasher but I didn't use it at all until 1998 and then I used it as if there was no downtime. Nothing bad happened and it worked fine until I moved away 4 years later. Whirlpool.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Afty

Post by Afty »

If you're going to run the dishwasher once every week or two anyway so that it doesn't break, why not try using it for all your dishes for a few weeks and see if you like it? You might find you like it.

Based on a previous Bogleheads thread, we stopped rinsing our dishes and started using our dishwasher for everything, including pots, pans, cooking utensils, etc. Turns out it's wonderful! I don't know why we weren't doing this in the first place.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Afty wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:02 pm If you're going to run the dishwasher once every week or two anyway so that it doesn't break, why not try using it for all your dishes for a few weeks and see if you like it? You might find you like it.

Based on a previous Bogleheads thread, we stopped rinsing our dishes and started using our dishwasher for everything, including pots, pans, cooking utensils, etc. Turns out it's wonderful! I don't know why we weren't doing this in the first place.
Nice. If you don't prerinse and use the air dry option, it's more efficient than hand washing anyway. That's what convinced is to start using our dishwasher and we haven't looked back.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:31 am People really don't use dishwashers because they want to save money? The median income on here seems to be about a billion dollars a year and yet we're wasting time to save 6 cents of water. Water and electricity are really pretty cheap... Much cheaper than my time is worth to me.

Family of four here and everyone just scrapes off the big scraps into our compost bin and then puts their dirty dishes, utensils, and cups into the Bosch after mealtime. No rinsing. We run it every night. Modern DW use very little water or power compared to hand washing, never mind the huge pile of dishes we'd have on the counter...

Our dishwasher broke 1.5yrs ago. The part was $20 (which I purchased immediately) and according to youtube should take all of 5min to fix...that part is still sitting in my closet. A few weeks after it broke, we agreed that it was more of a hassle to use the dishwasher and we have zero interest in having one if/when we decide to move. Family of 4 as well, has nothing to do with saving money, it's really convenience on our end. I doubt we ever spend >5min in a day washing dishes, not to mention my kids now wash their own and everybody is more cognizant of not using kitchenware they don't need to.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Interesting I meant to ask this exact question a few weeks ago I have a dishwasher I haven't used in a year and I wondered about cycling it each month.

So right now I just ran a quick wash cycle.
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

vbdoug wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:36 am I rarely used my dishwasher, except maybe a couple of times a year to maintain it. Perhaps I did not use it as much as I should have, because it broke. I just purchased a new Samsung dishwasher and have been researching how often I need to use it to maintain it. Consensus appears to be about a week or two. And then I stumbled upon this old Boglehead thread from 2014. Are there any knowledgeable Bogleheads out there that can add to the discussion?
My condo came with a very old dishwasher, and I just didn't use it much. After it sat for a few months, it had locked up. After the repairman came out and broke it loose - he mentioned to run it every so often to prevent it from happening again. He also mentioned making sure various internal gaskets/rubbers/etc and such didn't disintegrate. I ended up replacing the dishwasher a few years later, but it seemed like good advice given what I had experienced. Also worth noting - if it is closed up and is wet at all inside, you may get mold growth.

I'd imagine once every few weeks is fine - you're not likely to find a specific answer written down by a manufacturer or such about how long you can go. A short rinse cycle probably works fine. Depending on how the dishwasher is plumbed, you may also want to ensure water remains in a trap so you don't get sewer smells in the house. Most are hooked up via the kitchen sink plumbing so this isn't usually an issue, but might be for some.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

OAG wrote: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:04 am We do not use ours either. However, each month on the first of the month DW puts one cup (50% water & 50% white vinegar) in it and runs a single rinse cycle.

We started doing this AFTER we did not run it for about 4 years and at that point it would not run. After letting the water/vinegar mix set in it over night it started up and ran fine the next morning and has no leaks. Now we do the monthly thing only as a precaution. Keeps the seals pliable and prevents the machine from locking up again.
do you just pour it in the bottom of the machine?
=> 1 cup seems like a small volume for some reason (?) though I do not know how much water these machines use.

so you don't run a full wash cycle for this?
=>wasn't sure if some parts of the machine do not activate if a full wash cycle isn't run (?)

making coffee this AM, was going to do a cycle to keep the machine fresh as I never/rarely use it.
bernhardh

Post by bernhardh »

OAG wrote: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:04 am We do not use ours either. However, each month on the first of the month DW puts one cup (50% water & 50% white vinegar) in it and runs a single rinse cycle.
@OAG where do you put the water-vinegar solution? Do your pour it into the water inlet pipe?
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

bernhardh wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:33 am
@OAG where do you put the water-vinegar solution? Do your pour it into the water inlet pipe?
there was an answer to this (?) but now its gone, unless it was in a similar thread.

It was stated to put the solution in a cup on one of the racks then run the machine. That way the solution gets distributed as the machine cycles.
mancich

Post by mancich »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:31 am People really don't use dishwashers because they want to save money? The median income on here seems to be about a billion dollars a year and yet we're wasting time to save 6 cents of water. Water and electricity are really pretty cheap... Much cheaper than my time is worth to me.

This. Family of five here and we often run the Bosch twice per day, full. I don’t mind the water use or electricity. If I was living completely alone I’d still run it as it filled up.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Do people who can’t fill their dishwasher just eat out all the time or something? There’s two of us. We run it after dinner every night. It’s usually full.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

deleted
Last edited by F150HD on Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

We started doing this AFTER we did not run it for about 4 years and at that point it would not run. After letting the water/vinegar mix set in it over night it started up and ran fine the next morning and has no leaks. Now we do the monthly thing only as a precaution. Keeps the seals pliable and prevents the machine from locking up again.
old post I know, but need to run my diswasher again and recalled your post.
But...ran across this article today. 3rd item in the list/article. I am no expert.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cleanin ... e-vinegar/

...some dishwasher manufacturers warn that the acetic acid can eat away at the rubber parts in the appliance.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

walkabout wrote: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:38 pm I have always wished for two dishwashers. One for dirty, one for clean.
That’s what I treated myself to when I baked a lot. Now I’m alone and only use one occasionally. My daughter wants me to sell her my house so she can have two dishwashers.
40 Years' Gatherin's

Post by 40 Years' Gatherin's »

zaplunken wrote: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 pm I have a Frigidaire Gallery (model FDB636GFT0) dishwasher that we purchased new in 1999, it has been used probably less than 50 times. I haven't used it more than 10 times in the past 10 years and probably the last time I ran it was a good 4 years ago. Will it just sit and be useable in the future or is not running it causing problems?
Jeez, I live alone and even I need to use my dishwasher at least once, and sometimes twice, a week.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I never used mine for a long time, the seals most have dried out, because I tried to use it after about 13 years and it leaked
40 Years' Gatherin's

Post by 40 Years' Gatherin's »

jlawrence01 wrote: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:15 pm The house that I just sold today had central air conditioning which IMO was unnecessary in Chicagoland. We would run it for two days a year in June after the carpet cleaners came in to dry the carpet. We have done it for 14 years.

The central AC runs fine although we did have it serviced a few months ago before the house went on the market.

You're ok with living without central air? You're nuts. I live in the Great Lakes Region too, and my a/c runs non-stop from May to September.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:21 pm Do people who can’t fill their dishwasher just eat out all the time or something? There’s two of us. We run it after dinner every night. It’s usually full.
I eat one meal a day, and a homemade popcorn snack (made on the stove in a pan). I usually cook something simple every other night, and eat takeout on the others. My contractor told me I needed to run my dishwasher occasionally, so I do. Otherwise, I just wash my dishes by hand.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

My n=1, we had a small part break on our dishwasher ~2yrs ago. I ordered the part, watched the Youtube videos (it was an exceedingly easy fix, would take <2min), and then my wife told me not to bother because she actually preferred not using it. That part sat in the closet and I just replaced it a few weeks ago. We ran a cycle just to see if there were any issues - none. We've ran it twice since, seems to work perfectly fine. Family of 4 and we probably run it once every 10 days or so. Honestly, in our next home we'd probably prefer not to have a dishwasher at all (yes I know all the arguments about how they use less water, but I bet for our needs hand-washing is actually more resource efficient than running a machine daily).
Topic Author
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

40 Years' Gatherin's wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:12 pm
zaplunken wrote: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 pm I have a Frigidaire Gallery (model FDB636GFT0) dishwasher that we purchased new in 1999, it has been used probably less than 50 times. I haven't used it more than 10 times in the past 10 years and probably the last time I ran it was a good 4 years ago. Will it just sit and be useable in the future or is not running it causing problems?
Jeez, I live alone and even I need to use my dishwasher at least once, and sometimes twice, a week.
That post was from 2014 and it still has not been used! :D I live alone and don't create more than 3 or 4 things to wash after each meal so I just wash them. The dishwasher was my ex wife's need not mine. :wink:
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

zaplunken wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:52 am
40 Years' Gatherin's wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:12 pm
That post was from 2014 and it still has not been used! :D I live alone and don't create more than 3 or 4 things to wash after each meal so I just wash them. The dishwasher was my ex wife's need not mine. :wink:
Leaving a dishwasher completely unused isn't anything to be proud of and might not even be economical vs. washing items individually.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

We very rarely used ours for many years but began using it regularly a few years ago. It runs fine with no problems.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Why not use a dishwasher? They are much more efficient than hand washing and save a lot of time. Especially some newer dishwashers that are using less than 3 gallons total to wash a whole load.

https://www.reviewed.com/dishwashers/fe ... our-dishes

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/dishwa ... d-washing/

:oops: :oops:
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

I would like to see a Venn diagram of the folks who don’t use a dishwasher that is installed already in their home, and the folks who still write and mail checks for their monthly bills.
Topic Author
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

When I generally have 1 frying pan, a fork and a bowl or a dish or just 1 bowl and a spoon just how many days worth of dishes will sit in the dishwasher before I can use it? I doubt anyone runs one with 3 or 6 things in it, that would not be economical. It takes me between 2 minutes and 6 minutes approximately to wash the dishes I use. It isn't like I have a family of 4 or 5 where you can load it every day.