Will not using my dishwasher cause problems?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
michaeljc70

Re: Will not using my dishwasher cause problems?

Post by michaeljc70 »

zaplunken wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:38 pm When I generally have 1 frying pan, a fork and a bowl or a dish or just 1 bowl and a spoon just how many days worth of dishes will sit in the dishwasher before I can use it? I doubt anyone runs one with 3 or 6 things in it, that would not be economical. It takes me between 2 minutes and 6 minutes approximately to wash the dishes I use. It isn't like I have a family of 4 or 5 where you can load it every day.
Maybe you are an outlier and it doesn't make sense to use the dishwasher. However, you never use more than one pan? You only eat one meal a day? You don't use glasses? You don't use knives? We are two people and generate a lot of dishes, but we cook everyday. Spatulas, graters, tongs, cutting boards, multiple glasses (coffee, wine, water), bowls for prepping ingredients sometimes, sheet pans, skillets, pasta pots, sauce pans, etc.

As others said, if the dw is still in working order I'd run it at least once a quarter to keep it operational.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a contentious post and reply. This thread has run its course and is locked. See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:29 am
zaplunken wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:38 pm When I generally have 1 frying pan, a fork and a bowl or a dish or just 1 bowl and a spoon just how many days worth of dishes will sit in the dishwasher before I can use it? I doubt anyone runs one with 3 or 6 things in it, that would not be economical. It takes me between 2 minutes and 6 minutes approximately to wash the dishes I use. It isn't like I have a family of 4 or 5 where you can load it every day.
Maybe you are an outlier and it doesn't make sense to use the dishwasher. However, you never use more than one pan? You only eat one meal a day? You don't use glasses? You don't use knives? We are two people and generate a lot of dishes, but we cook everyday. Spatulas, graters, tongs, cutting boards, multiple glasses (coffee, wine, water), bowls for prepping ingredients sometimes, sheet pans, skillets, pasta pots, sauce pans, etc.

As others said, if the dw is still in working order I'd run it at least once a quarter to keep it operational.
Yes, I am an outlier. I cook enough that I have leftovers so I microwave them, 1 bowl/1 spoon or 1 plate/fork. I have always been a big water drinker and I'm on a well so I keep water in a 1 liter bottle on the coffee table or here by the computer or a 1/2 liter on the kitchen table so no washing of a glass. And yes, I wash the dishes after every meal. I seldom get involved in cooking that requires lots of pots, pans, utensils, too complicated I like to KISS :wink: . Sometimes I can't make a meal in just 1 pot or 1 pan but I typically do. For one person this is doable, for a family it wouldn't work. Like I said, the dishwasher was my ex wife's desire, I never would have bought one.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

zaplunken wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:13 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:29 am

Yes, I am an outlier. I cook enough that I have leftovers so I microwave them, 1 bowl/1 spoon or 1 plate/fork. I have always been a big water drinker and I'm on a well so I keep water in a 1 liter bottle on the coffee table or here by the computer or a 1/2 liter on the kitchen table so no washing of a glass. And yes, I wash the dishes after every meal. I seldom get involved in cooking that requires lots of pots, pans, utensils, too complicated I like to KISS :wink: . Sometimes I can't make a meal in just 1 pot or 1 pan but I typically do. For one person this is doable, for a family it wouldn't work. Like I said, the dishwasher was my ex wife's desire, I never would have bought one.
Understood. That makes sense. When I am only cooking for myself I keep things much more simple.

I am in the camp of wishing I had two dishwashers if we had the space. Mostly for when entertaining. We cook a lot of things that I wouldn't say are super complicated, but require multiple bowls/pans. Even a simple dinner of a chicken, rice and a veggie we'd typically cook each in its own pan. Sometimes we do make sheet pan dinners and everything goes on one of those and that keeps the mess down. In the summer we grill a lot and that also keeps the amount pans down.
adventure

Post by adventure »

I wasn't using my dishwasher, and I bought a lower cabinet with a wide drawer of the same size space that perfectly matched my oak cabinets. Removed the dishwasher, and installed the under counter cabinet in about one hour. Problem solved. If you're sure you don't want to use it, just remove it and use the space for more storage. The cabinet only installs with a few screws, and since the plumbing and electric hookups are still there, it's easy to install a new dishwasher later in the future if the next buyer of your home wants one. Your home would sell just fine without a dishwasher.
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Buddtholomew wrote: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:53 pm Why does the title of this thread seem awkward to me from a grammatical perspective?

If I don't use my dishwasher will it cause problems? Seems better. Is the current title grammatically correct?
I am guessing the OP did not have time to proofread because he is always doing dishes by hand.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

zaplunken wrote: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 pm I have a Frigidaire Gallery (model FDB636GFT0) dishwasher that we purchased new in 1999, it has been used probably less than 50 times. I haven't used it more than 10 times in the past 10 years and probably the last time I ran it was a good 4 years ago. Will it just sit and be useable in the future or is not running it causing problems?
It seems like you slready have an anecdotal data set of your own to answer this question.

Dishwashers are pretty frugal water users, so I can't understand why some folks don't use theirs for routine dishwashing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.review ... dishes.amp
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

zaplunken wrote: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:29 pm
denovo wrote:

How is it possible you never use the dishwasher? If you are washing everything by hand, I think you should change. From a water usage and dollar standpoint, using the dishwasher is more efficient and of course time saving.
Huh? Because I wash by hand. I never bought that "it's cheaper to run the dishwasher". It's using electricity and hot water. For one person it'd take 2 weeks to fill the machine. If I put them in dirty they'd come out dirty after sitting that long and if I rinse or wash them 1st well then what's the point! I leave a burner on to warm some water and wash the dish or two, usually one, that I used. If there's no oil or grease of any type I just rinse with cold water and I've done this for years and I haven't died yet. 8-)
And how is it that you KNOW you use less energy and water by handwashing (yet you don't KNOW the answer to the question regarding not using the automatic dishwasher)?

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just what appear to be your conclusions regarding the efficacy of using a dishwasher are contrary to even EPA findings.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:37 am I resisted putting in a dishwasher for 7 years after we bought our "newish" home because it was such a convenient place to put the trash bin, and because I grew up without a dishwasher, and in our family, I'm the dishwasher. So, didn't see a need to spend the money on one which would likely be a "high end" one.
We eventually got a nice dishwasher and DW is in heaven. And, I actually have to wash less dishes and kitchen things.

Point is, you don't have to have a dishwasher.

But, since you have a nice one, run it occasionally so it does not get funky.

If it is best to rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, why not just hand wash them to begin with?

If one is OCD, which is more rewarding, using a dishwasher or hand washing dishes?
j :happy
Many modern dishwasher manufacturers don't require or even recommend pre-rinsing dishes before they go into the machine. They do recommend scraping off scraps, but not rinsing.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Jeepergeo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:36 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:37 am I resisted putting in a dishwasher for 7 years after we bought our "newish" home because it was such a convenient place to put the trash bin, and because I grew up without a dishwasher, and in our family, I'm the dishwasher. So, didn't see a need to spend the money on one which would likely be a "high end" one.
We eventually got a nice dishwasher and DW is in heaven. And, I actually have to wash less dishes and kitchen things.

Point is, you don't have to have a dishwasher.

But, since you have a nice one, run it occasionally so it does not get funky.

If it is best to rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, why not just hand wash them to begin with?

If one is OCD, which is more rewarding, using a dishwasher or hand washing dishes?
j :happy
Many modern dishwasher manufacturers don't require or even recommend pre-rinsing dishes before they go into the machine. They do recommend scraping off scraps, but not rinsing.
You are right.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
mrjohnanderson007

Post by mrjohnanderson007 »

I'm in the same camp as you. Haven't used dishwasher in probably 4 years. Honestly it's more work loading it and unloading then it is to rinse off the dishes, dry, put away. Takes like 1 minute and don't have to smell the stinky dishes in the dishwasher waiting for it to be full enough to run.

I guess if I had a family of 6 I might use it.

As of now have the water shut off going to it. If it is ever ran again I'll take off the kick panel to look underneath for water while running, and youtube what I need to do (little oil on seals or door gasket?).