I don't want to upgrade XP just yet, is that ok?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
thebogledude

I don't want to upgrade XP just yet, is that ok?

Post by thebogledude »

I have searched the bogleheads forum regarding holding onto windows XP but aside from the how to upgrade to win 7/8, it has been fruitless. I am technically sufficient so I can handle the upgrade on my own but I am stubborn to upgrade to WIn 7 because it will also require upgrading my computer hardware as well since the XP is at least 10 years old and I hate to put another PC out to pasture. I'm interested in knowing how many of you are staying with XP or are most of you making the switch on April 8? I hope I can keep XP for a few years longer and then a few years after that.
Last edited by thebogledude on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob5TCP

Re: I don't want to upgrade XP just yet, is that ok?

Post by Rob5TCP »

You can take a chance and "heavily" guard your current PC. I have a few clients on Windows 98 (I know)
and yet they have never been infected despite being online 24/7.

They rarely do much on the internet besides a little browsing and email.
Still, the lack of updates may create problems.

We are in a gray area. There are 10's of millions of XP computers that will still be in use come April 8th.
How often will these be targeted and how successfully.

Finally what purpose - make them zombie computers, steal passwords, etc. Again no one knows.

I am supporting my clients on XP for several more years, by necessity. Still I do not know what
the consequences may be. Hopefully, the doom/gloom will probe to be overblown.

Post by 123 »

You may want to try running the Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if Windows 7 will run on your hardware. Both of the two machines (one laptop and one desktop) I had that were still running XP were able to run Windows 7. I got suitable versions of Windows 7 off from Ebay and they both installed and authenticated fine. I did complete back-ups of my data, did fresh installs of Windows 7, reinstalled my programs, and restored my data. They both work fine since they're primarily used for web browsing and a little bit of Word/Excel (with Office 2003 or 2007). I'm sure they'd perform poorly if I tried video editing. New machines are undoubtedly easier and better if you have any hardware issues or you want to use better components (like install a larger hard-drive).

I primarily used the old machines so my wife wouldn't complain "Oh no, you're buying another computer again. We've got too many of them around already". We've got 2 others that were already Windows 7. Converting the 2 XP machines to Windows 7 was a nice little project.

When Microsoft support for Windows XP ends get ready for a lot of Trojan/virus issues aimed at something Microsoft won't fix anymore.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

If your machine is 10 years old, you will not find Win7 a satisfactory experience.
You probably have an undersized hard drive, maybe 1-2GB of memory, a dual core
processor (at best), and video that is just underpowered.

Even if you pass the minimum, the savings might not be worth it. You would be better
spending a few hundred for a system you can count on for a number of years.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

I have upgraded several machines from XP to Windows 7 without difficulty. I wasn't surprised because the hardware requirements for Win7 are not significantly higher than for XP.

Of course a faster, larger hard drive wouldn't hurt, nor would adding more memory, but neither of those should be absolutely necessary.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

"The vast majority of bank ATMs around the world currently run on Windows XP. Come April 8, when Microsoft cuts off support for Windows XP, the vast majority of those bank ATMs will still be running XP." -- ATMs will still run Windows XP.

If it's good enough for banks, it's probably good enough for me. 8-)

The story is interesting, and probably can be repeated in many industries in many ways.

Now, consider this: Windows XP will continue receiving security support in China. Pretty weird, huh?

Seriously, I can't imagine what is going to happen. I can't imagine it is in Microsoft's interest to let 29% of all of the computers in the world fall prey to malware. But perhaps they will. If all those computer belonged to clueless pennypinching seniors like me maybe they could get away with it, but that's not the case.

"There are rumors that the company may produce a low- or no-cost Windows version that might encourage reluctant upgraders to switch," but I don't think cost is the big problem. The big problem is companies that can't switch for technical reasons--or, more precisely, for whom the cost of switching is not so the cost of the new OS itself, but the problem of dependency on third-party software components that haven't been upgraded.

When people in the U.S. find out that Microsoft is continuing to support XP in China, just possibly they will apply some pressure to Microsoft to distribute the patches globally. Imagine a black market developing in illegally importing XP patches from China!
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
thebogledude

Post by thebogledude »

nisiprius wrote:"The vast majority of bank ATMs around the world currently run on Windows XP. Come April 8, when Microsoft cuts off support for Windows XP, the vast majority of those bank ATMs will still be running XP." -- ATMs will still run Windows XP.
This is quote from USA Today: Even in its final days, Windows XP still looms large

quote: Still, it's not a desperate situation. NCR clarifies that "financial institutions that do not migrate to Windows 7 immediately will have plans in place to maintain the integrity and security of their systems." Additionally, many of these devices run a variant of Windows XP called Embedded, which will be supported until 2016. Another close relative called Windows Embedded 2003 will receive critical patches until 2019.
patrick

Post by patrick »

nisiprius wrote:"The vast majority of bank ATMs around the world currently run on Windows XP. Come April 8, when Microsoft cuts off support for Windows XP, the vast majority of those bank ATMs will still be running XP." -- ATMs will still run Windows XP.

If it's good enough for banks, it's probably good enough for me. 8-)
The ATMs are not (or at least should not be) connected to the open Internet, and are not (or at least should not be) used for high-risk activities like web browsing.
nisiprius wrote:Now, consider this: Windows XP will continue receiving security support in China. Pretty weird, huh?
And this: Microsoft denies extending Windows XP support for China
Confused

Post by Confused »

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Confused wrote:@nisiprius,

That chart is weird. Why does it break Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 into separate charts, but doesn't break Windows XP into its three different service packs? Very strange.
Maybe because Windows XP is ancient history? :)
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

You could also consider "upgrading" to Linux. Some distributions will run quite happily on more than 10 year old hardware with similar or better performance than XP. A lot will depend on what applications you use, if it's mostly web browsing you'll hardly notice a difference. If you're hooked on specific Windows programs you be less happy. One surprising complaint I've had is that the Linux versions of Solitaire have deficient graphics. They were happy moving from MS Office to Open Office, but had to have their Solitaire.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Had XP since 2003 and used it for my marketing activities - running multiple pages from SalesForce and LinkedIn & Google - memory became the issue with slow loading and the constant conversion when someone sends me an Excel work sheet or Word document.
Bit the bullet three weeks ago and paid the price but refused to pay a premium to downgrade from 8.1 to Windows 7.
With the 8.1 desktop I have the look and feel of XP; the major learning curve was in getting used to the updated Office screens. Nearly 11 years and for me, XP earned its retirement.
This old dog is slowly learning and enjoying new tricks.
Rich
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Novine

Post by Novine »

I've installed Windows 7 on older Pentium Ds with 2 GB RAM and it's been fine. It's no more resource intensive than Windows XP and you'll find that the computer boots up faster with Windows 7. There's steps you can take to turn off some of the WIndows 7 bells and whistles if you find it running slow.
g$$

Post by g$$ »

Just upgrade. Guaranteed you can find a $200 computer that is several generations faster, several generations more secure, and several generations more enjoyable.

As Nike would say... just do it.
denovo

Post by denovo »

I am not a "hacker" who steals information from computers and I know diddly about computer security, but here's my unfounded speculation. I would think that if I were a hacker, ,since this has been in the works for such a long time (termination of XP support), that they would be planning for this for a long time and have plans to wreak havoc on XP machines. I would imagine this would be like Christmas for them, with April 8th being Black Friday.
Last edited by denovo on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I have a backup computer that I use only when my main system goes down. I don't plan on upgrading it after xp goes down, but will try to "harden" it. I won't go to any financial websites on it in the future, if I absolutely have to due to a major main pc crash I will install Ubuntu on it first. Here is an article about how to do so:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/secure-wi ... april-2014

ike
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

One thing NOT to do. My wife tried to use the migration tool to go from XP to 8.0. The tool issued no warnings but the result was disaster so complete it was necessary to do a full system restore. 5 years of installing and uninstalling software, e.g. Norton Antivirus, some with "activation" and copy protection features perhaps involving hidden files or whatnot, May have left things in a tangle too complicated for the tool...
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

You can generally keep using Windows software when the computer is completely disconnected from the internet. You can unplug ethernet and/or disable wifi in the BIOS settings.

To safely use the internet, you can use Linux without installing it or harming your Windows setup. You can try this now. Create a "Live CD" or "Live USB" of a lightweight Linux distribution intended for old computers. One example is Lubuntu.

Boot the computer from the Live CD or USB, and don't click on the "install" icon. Depending on the distribution you chose, click on "Firefox", "Chromium", "Iceweasel", "Seamonkey", or "Dillo". If there's no icon with the distribution you chose, look for "internet" on the menu.

Upgrading a 10 year old computer with Windows probably doesn't make as much sense as buying a new one. You can do pretty well for under $300. Choices include:

- Chromebook or Chromebox
- iPad or other tablet
- Windows 8 or 7 laptop or desktop
- iMac or Macbook, if you already use Apple or have free Apple "tech support"
ajcp

Post by ajcp »

nisiprius wrote: "There are rumors that the company may produce a low- or no-cost Windows version that might encourage reluctant upgraders to switch," but I don't think cost is the big problem. The big problem is companies that can't switch for technical reasons--or, more precisely, for whom the cost of switching is not so the cost of the new OS itself, but the problem of dependency on third-party software components that haven't been upgraded.
Given XP mode exists, I don't think that's it. I think it's partially cost of OS, partially not wanting to do the process that upgrading entails.
technovelist wrote: Of course a faster, larger hard drive wouldn't hurt, nor would adding more memory, but neither of those should be absolutely necessary.
I know you didn't say "get a better hard drive", but this sentence confuses me. A larger hard drive won't help at all unless you have no more room on yours, in which case it is necessary. A faster hard drive (an SSD?) would be a waste in a 10 year old computer, imo. It wouldn't hurt, but it'd be a waste of money.
gd

Post by gd »

You might be pleasantly surprised at the improvement a wide monitor (my assumption) and faster CPU makes. But if it's just for pedestrian tasks like writing and run-of-the-mill web browsing, just keep on and mind what you click on. I had XP become unusable on an old laptop; some sort of bug where a routine process kept starting up, going haywire and sucking the life juices out of the CPU. I installed Ubuntu instead of trying to dig up the XP disk, and it actually works better as long as you don't need to run Windows programs and don't mind a slightly goofy UI designed by unpaid open-source programmers who have no taste or common sense. As opposed to committees of paid closed-source managers who have no taste or common sense. Perfectly adequate free replacements for Microsoft Office are included.

I'll pass on using bootleg software from China to fix security problems, thanks. Call me a pessimist, but I can't see that ending well.
dad2000

Post by dad2000 »

Made the switch a while back.

If you use email, or sites other than Bogleheads, I think you're best served by buying a new system because of all the malware out there.

Hopefully you can still buy a system with WIndows 7. Windows 8, IMHO, is absolutely awful from a user experience and productivity perspective.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

My last job was at a mega sized tech company. They're still on XP. The IT group dives very deeply into operating systems and has found too many problems with every system since XP. My present company is on XP and has no plans to upgrade (downgrade) to anything newer. Neither depend on microsoft for any type of support. The company before these (now I'm going back a dozen years) remains on Unix.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

denovo wrote:I am not a "hacker" who steals information from computers and I know diddly about computer security, but here's my unfounded speculation. I would think that if I were a hacker, ,since this has been in the works for such a long time (termination of XP support), that they would be planning for this for a long time and have plans to wreak havoc on XP machines. I would imagine this would be like Christmas for them, with April 8th being Black Friday.
Nothing magical happens on April 8th. Anything a hacker might do on that date, he can do today. It's not as if Microsoft issues security patches every week. And security software still gets updated.

That said, I upgraded from XP to Windows 7 over a year ago, and I certainly recommend that others consider doing so, if the hardware isn't too old.
wesef

Post by wesef »

I know this isn't exactly your question, and others have said it, but you would find that upgrading to 7 will significantly improve your experience (assuming you meet 7's tech specs). Upgrading the PC and getting 7 would be even better, and at a cost well under $500, assuming you can avoid 8 in doing so. XP may be "good enough" for what you're doing, but 7 does everything a little better (yes, there is a learning curve). 8 is a different story and not recommended, unless 8.1 is a real improvement.
jchef

Post by jchef »

nisiprius wrote:"The vast majority of bank ATMs around the world currently run on Windows XP. Come April 8, when Microsoft cuts off support for Windows XP, the vast majority of those bank ATMs will still be running XP."
Many ATMs are running XP embedded, not regular XP.

XP embedded is supported until 2016.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

ajcp wrote:
I know you didn't say "get a better hard drive", but this sentence confuses me. A larger hard drive won't help at all unless you have no more room on yours, in which case it is necessary. A faster hard drive (an SSD?) would be a waste in a 10 year old computer, imo. It wouldn't hurt, but it'd be a waste of money.
While it would be a waste to get a modern SSD, you may be able to pick up a new old stock SSD or rotating disc that is several generations obsolete off a clearance rack. You can easily get a 32G SSD for less than $40. If you're patient and into bargain hunting you may find one for quite a bit less. A 32G drive could be the same size as the original disc and assuming you can get it installed (which may not be trivial) it will make the system noticeably faster. It won't work miracles but it will be noticeable.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Whenever I've made a moderately-priced disk drive upgrade, I've been pleased with the results. When my computer is three or four years old, I will just wander in to Staples or Best Buy and sort of see what they have going for about $100. First of all, one of the few things in this world that isn't a tradeoff, drives usually get bigger by increasing data density, so as they get bigger, they automatically get faster. Second, although I have NOT found defragging to be very effective, I have definitely found that systems run noticeably faster AND more reliably when the drive is 40% full than when it is 90% full. For an ordinary middle-of-the-road consumer desktop, the bus usually has more than enough bandwidth to make effective use of a drive that's faster than original OEM drive.

RAM upgrades can be very effective, BUT there are difficult-to-resolve RAM compatibility issues. The computer vendors' RAM upgrades are always really outrageously priced; the third-party RAM upgrades are always claimed to be compatible--well, really, what would you expect them to say?--and often are, but unfortunately bad RAM does not cause hard or obvious failures, and it does not appear that RAM diagnostics are very reliable.
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

I wouldn't take the chance especially considering how cheap computers are these days. Sure a lot of people still run XP, but I think the majority comes from poor countries outside of the US. I bet it's in the single digits now for US personal computers running XP. Your computer, especially if you do banking on it, will be a prime target. Why not spend $300 instead of taking the chance?
Watty

Post by Watty »

g$$ wrote:Just upgrade. Guaranteed you can find a $200 computer that is several generations faster, several generations more secure, and several generations more enjoyable.

As Nike would say... just do it.

+1

If you have not replaced the hard drive and power supply in your old computer recentely they are likely at the point where they will be prone to fail before long.
ajcp

Post by ajcp »

nisiprius wrote:Whenever I've made a moderately-priced disk drive upgrade, I've been pleased with the results. When my computer is three or four years old, I will just wander in to Staples or Best Buy and sort of see what they have going for about $100.
Are you reformatting when you buy the new HDD?
Topic Author
thebogledude

Post by thebogledude »

I'm the OP. Thank you bogleheads for making me see the light. I was hoping there would be a last ditch effort to save the dying XP but alas, time to upgrade to Win 7.
bluemarinoni

Post by bluemarinoni »

Buy a new computer. It's OK. You'll have a better screen with cleaner graphics, and your eyes will thank you.

Skip Microsoft. If it's current OS selection, and dubious availability of 7 were stocks or index funds- would you happily hand them your money? I wouldn't. My blood pressure spikes every time I turn on my MS7 machine- so I don't. Their huge market share is based on old users, and IT groups that haven't decided they've had enough yet.

Linux is a fine choice, I've personally used a couple of their distributions, and they are fantastic, simple, and usable. They may take some tinkering, if you're into that.

Mac and OSx. Yes- the machines are more expensive, but guess what? You turn them on, and they work. Put them away, take them back out- and they work. They just keep working. You want to plug in a second screen? Plug it in, and... done- you have two screens. You get what you pay for here- They're easy to use, Apple continues to protect the consumer from attacks, the machines last much longer than they have any right to, and the build quality is just better. Remember what you're NOT paying for over time- expensive updates, additional software, antivirus, blood pressure meds, etc, etc. You may want MS Office- or you might just download OpenOffice for free.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Confused wrote:That chart is weird. Why does it break Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 into separate charts, but doesn't break Windows XP into its three different service packs? Very strange.
If you are going to continue to run XP, the least you can do is upgrade to the most recent SP.

I bought a win7 machine last year, and will continue to run XP on my backup machine. But will not be doing anything sensitive on it.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

I have three laptops with XP, and three wonderful all-in-ones with drivers only for XP. The all-in-ones do beautiful printing, scan in tiny old photographs and produce perfect enlargements. They are incredibly reliable. I've had them for years and years with total problems of two paper jams and one ink problem solved by some runs of clean print heads.

If it weren't for the all-in-ones, I might consider upgrading(sic) when the laptops bellyup, but I'm digging in as long as possible.

When I was working in IT, I went for the latest and greatest (not that the newer versions of Windows appear to be that), and made it a point to get things working. Now that I'm retired, I stick with what works, and if something comes out that has a lousier interface or features, they can lump it. I also see no need to spend money for no reason, and replacing three laptops and three all-in-ones would be major money. I have also been unable to identify by looking at reviews and comments any all-in-one equal in quality to these.
ajcp

Post by ajcp »

bluemarinoni wrote: Mac and OSx. Yes- the machines are more expensive, but guess what? You turn them on, and they work. Put them away, take them back out- and they work. They just keep working. You want to plug in a second screen? Plug it in, and... done- you have two screens. You get what you pay for here- They're easy to use, Apple continues to protect the consumer from attacks, the machines last much longer than they have any right to, and the build quality is just better. Remember what you're NOT paying for over time- expensive updates, additional software, antivirus, blood pressure meds, etc, etc. You may want MS Office- or you might just download OpenOffice for free.
This might be true if they didn't overcharge for every single thing they put in it. I just checked Apple's site to see what they charged for office, since it's software there's no "build quality" argument and there should obviously be no markup, but they used to charge ~50% over MSRP (and of course you could get it for much cheaper than MSRP). So I checked to see if that was still accurate, and it looks like they don't sell office anymore. I did find, however, a computer that comes with 8GB of ram. Upgrading to 16 costs $752 and and 32 costs $2,256. For reference, I just checked newegg and the most expensive 32 GB set was $370. Apple charges double that for something that costs under $100. So that build quality...Is their ram solid gold?
wesef

Post by wesef »

What would you do with 32gb RAM? Put a man on the moon?

I really like my MacBook Air. It is a premium option, but well priced for what you get. But I don't think the op is shopping macs.
TJSI

Post by TJSI »

Nisiprius.

Now that is the "Telltale Pie Chart". It shows why Microsoft as a company may have seen its best days. They need to change their marketing strategy from constantly adding ever more features and complexity to how to insure their base is satisfied. Otherwise, I think they will just go into a slow decline.

TJSI
telemark

Post by telemark »

Just to put this in context, you can find a summary of Microsoft's latest security fixes at
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/11 ... h_tuesday/

This one is particularly interesting
Patch bulletin MS14-013 sorts out a flaw in the Windows DirectShow component, which incorrectly processed JPEGs allowing a maliciously crafted image to execute code on the victim's machine once opened. All supported versions of Windows are at risk except for Windows Server 2008 for Itanium and Windows RT.
because you don't have to open an attachment to be affected: just run something that displays an image, like your mail reader or Web browser. The last JPEG exploit I remember was found in 2004, and I'm surprised to see this one show up: you'd think after the first problem they'd have gone over the code thoroughly looking for more.
sarahjane

Post by sarahjane »

Try a Chromebook. I still have my XP machine, but rarely use it now.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Back to the original question:

If you decide to accept the risk of using Win XP at least use a different web browser than IE 8. Over time anti-virus software (e.g. McAfee, Symantec) and application developers (e.g. Adobe) are going to stop supporting Windows XP as well. Open source / free alternatives may stick around longer.

I would not let my parents, spouse, or children accept the risk running Windows XP at this point. My 80 year old mom opens and reads the chain emails her friends forward to her with lots of embedded links and files.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I would strongly recommend that you upgrade your computer and operating system. It is just too dangerous to surf with outdated software.

At work, I got the "FBI Moneypack Virus" on my PC. Didn't click on anything, didn't open any files, it came right in through the browser. Viruses get embedded on websites unknown to the site operator and they come right through the security holes in the browser. The Tech Geek told me that I did nothing wrong. They had to reimage my machine. That put a good scare into me. We are still using XP at work though machines are being upgraded to Windows 7 over time.

Microsoft issues security patches for its operating systems, browsers, and office products for a reason. Hackers are looking for holes and weaknesses all the time. Keeping up to date is not 100% protection but by golly you are much safer.

It is the wild west out there on the internet. Surfing out there without up to date programs is just begging for trouble.

I took the plunge and upgraded to Windows 7 from XP a few weeks ago. It cost about $600 for the external hard drive, Windows 7, Office 2010, and Quicken 2014. Also bought DVR disks so I could burn Windows 7 on it. I didn't want to spend the money but seeing that I do a lot of personal business online, I figured that I had no choice.
A fool and his money are good for business.
ElJay

Post by ElJay »

No, it's not OK.

Sincerely,
A software developer who hates Internet Explorer 8.

I upgraded my parents from XP to Windows 8.1 six months ago and they've had no problems getting acclimated to it. I just have all the icons to the apps they use on the desktop, and they just basically use it just like they did XP. Windows 7 and 8 definitely perform better than XP, but if you have a PC with XP on it then it's probably time to upgrade the hardware too.
jackpullo997

Post by jackpullo997 »

Format your drive and install a fresh Win7 install.
You will never regret it.

Win7 BLOWS AWAY XP in every way.
ataloss

Post by ataloss »

I kept using an old xp netbook beyond the point of reason even upgrading the ram to try to improve performance. The money isn't the issue I was just determined to keep using it. Eventually I gave up and switched to a chromebook for web browsing and a win 7 desktop for circumstances where I must use msft software. I am saving time and will find a more productive hobby.
glock19

Post by glock19 »

To the OP: Based on what you use your computer for, I see no reason to upgrade if you are happy. If you migrate to Win 7, keep in mind if you use MS Office you will have to buy an upgraded version as well. It is possible to run the old version but a pain. Open Office is a good alternative.

Here would be my plan if I stayed with XP: be careful where you surf the web. Use good anti-virus, malware, spyware programs and **run regularly**. Use an image backup program such as Acronis, so if you have issues you can do a quick restore of your system.

I was a hardcore XP user and upgraded to Win 7. I really like it but can't say it improved my computing abilities. After all, it's just an operating system and runs in the background. On the other hand I build my own computers, so every 3 - 4 years I build a new system. You would be amazed what a SSD along with sufficient system ram will do to make a computer hum.

Good luck on your decision.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

My wife and I went from one desktop with XP to his n hers laptops with Windows 7 five years ago , we love it and use the laptops as desktops , and they easily travel along with us ; but I recently heard it's going out to pasture in 6 years :annoyed and we'll be in a similar situation as you.

My recommendation would be to go the laptop , Windows 7 route but I've heard that W7 is becoming harder to find pre-installed - we have Lenovos and someone posting on another topic said that Lenovo still offers W7 - we've been very happy with Lenovo and you may want to look at what they offer .
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

Depends what you do with your PC. Financial sites? Other sensitive info? Not upgrading in that case is foolish.

If it's just for general usage, DO NOT use Internet Explorer. Use Firefox or Chrome on the PC instead or install some flavor of Linux.

You really should upgrade. Computing security moves at a blistering pace so it's not a place to punch pennies or be stubborn.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

bluemarinoni wrote:Mac and OSx. Yes- the machines are more expensive, but guess what? You turn them on, and they work. Put them away, take them back out- and they work. They just keep working. You want to plug in a second screen? Plug it in, and... done- you have two screens. You get what you pay for here- They're easy to use, Apple continues to protect the consumer from attacks, the machines last much longer than they have any right to, and the build quality is just better. Remember what you're NOT paying for over time- expensive updates, additional software, antivirus, blood pressure meds, etc, etc. You may want MS Office- or you might just download OpenOffice for free.
I've seen Macs just as finicky as Windows. Last year I took a USB stick with vacation photos and videos to various friends and relatives homes, where we used their computers to display on their TVs. Usually it was Windows, once it was Linux, and twice it was Mac. One Mac had trouble playing the videos - awful stuttering - which was fixed by rebooting the Mac. The other had lots of trouble getting hooked up to 1080p TV, and the owner (a techie guy, not some random user) was in and out of various display properties until he got it working. Looked just like the kinds of troubles typical Windows users go through trying to hook up an external monitor. As a Windows and Linux user, I did not see OSX "just work". It was just as troublesome as Windows and Linux.

So... Mac better than Windows? I'd say they're about the same in many respects. That being said, I am seriously considering a Mac for my next laptop, mainly to avoid Windows 8. (Linux and Chromebook are not options due to some software I use that's only available on Windows and Mac).
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

ubermax wrote: My recommendation would be to go the laptop , Windows 7 route but I've heard that W7 is becoming harder to find pre-installed - we have Lenovos and someone posting on another topic said that Lenovo still offers W7 - we've been very happy with Lenovo and you may want to look at what they offer .
Try ebay. that's where I've bought my last several laptops with XP. I look for sellers who've sold a lot of stuff with nearly a 100% approval rating, and I don't deal with no returns allowed people, or laptops sold "for parts" and so on.

I used to buy HPs, until I bought a thinkpad and found it to be much more reliable.
ataloss

Post by ataloss »

so I just looked at the website for a major computer retailer. They have lots of windows 7 used/refurbished desktops for $100-200. I don't know or care what anybody else should do. If your hobby is dealing with old computers and software, fine. On the other hand, I don't think there is any financial reason not to upgrade.