Yellowstone Family Vacation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
.David.

Yellowstone Family Vacation

Post by .David. »

My wife and I are planning a summer vacation in the Yellowstone area with our two boys (8 and 10).

We are flying in and out of Bozeman and we have booked a few nights lodging at a hotel inside Yellowstone.

Now we are looking for ideas for other lodging within a few hours in any direction of the park. We would love to stay in some sort of guest ranch setting, but it appears that kind of experience can easily set you back $1000/night for a family of four (looks like a lot of fun, but it is probably out of our price range).

Any recommendations?

Thank you!
technovelist

Re: Yellowstone Family Vacation

Post by technovelist »

We stayed here:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... ntana.html
and found it clean and comfortable. It was about $80/night for one room.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
mhc

Post by mhc »

West Yellowstone, Montana, is where my family stayed last summer. I think it was a Holiday Inn. Worked very well for us.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

We have stayed 6 times , often for a week or more at the Brandin Iron. We love it

https://www.nationalparktravel.com/branding_iron.htm

I note above teh westwood and Holiday inn are mentioned. We liked both of them too, but the westwood may not have rooms suitable for the family .
mss

Post by mss »

We stayed at Chico Hot Springs in Pray, MT a couple of summers ago and had a great time. They have horseback riding on site and a nice pool. They also have a good restaurant and bar. It's been there since 1900 and is on the North side of the park.

From Bozeman, it's about 50 miles to Chico Hot Springs, and then about 34 miles to the North Entrance of Yellowstone in Gardiner, MT. (It's right on the way from Bozeman to Yellowstone).

http://www.chicohotsprings.com/
CMHBuckeye

Post by CMHBuckeye »

I've taken my family to Nine Quarter Circle Ranch multiple times over the years. It's located between Bozeman and West Yellowstone on the Taylor Fork. A great out-of-the-way small dude ranch that caters to small families. http://www.ninequartercircle.com
scouter

Post by scouter »

The park is so big, you may be better off spending one night in each of 4-5 places instead of 4-5 nights in one place. The Old Faithful Lodge is a classic, rustic place to stay inside the Park. There are motels just outside the entrances, in Gardiner, MT, Cooke City, West Yellowstone, etc. By staying in a different one each night, you'll have much better luck getting around to see the whole park. Don't know of any dude ranches, but don't miss the horseback rides that depart from the Roosevelt Lodge area. Beautiful rides from 1 hour to full day through gorgeous country that you'll never see from the roads. The 2-hour ride is particularly nice and not too long on a horse for city slickers.
sandburg

Post by sandburg »

Don't forget to put the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum in Cody and Jackson Hole on your list. For me, a trip to Yellowstone without going to Jackson Hole (Grand Teton National Park) is unthinkable.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

If you don't mind spending a little extra Jenny Lake Lodge in Gr Tetons NP is quite the experience and the food is excellent. But hurry as they always fill up quickly. The property only has a handful of cabins.
buckstar

Post by buckstar »

If you stay at the Roosevelt Lodge cabins, please check the drawer next to the beds, I left my eyeglasses there last year :oops:

I would try and stay as many nights as possible within the park, there is SO much to see and do there that you'll wish you had more time. Have a blast!
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

mhc wrote:West Yellowstone, Montana, is where my family stayed last summer. I think it was a Holiday Inn. Worked very well for us.
I second this.

A big reason this works well is that you don't have to go out through mountains, so it is a much faster/easier trip
outside the park.

Oh, by the way, have fun. My kids loved Yellowstone.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

We stayed here for a couple of nights in Jackson Hole:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/virgini ... YNGgkAAAAq

If you stay there, try and get a room on the inner courtyard, much better ambiance. The restaurant served a very good breakfast. I asked the manager where they got their bacon. He wouldn't tell me.

gatorman
Quest80

Post by Quest80 »

yukonjack wrote:If you don't mind spending a little extra Jenny Lake Lodge in Gr Tetons NP is quite the experience and the food is excellent. But hurry as they always fill up quickly. The property only has a handful of cabins.
+1 to this

Yellowstone is great, but if you have the time, head south for a day or two in the Tetons - beautiful and a different feel from the park. Also, don't miss the mudpots in Yellowstone - just north of Old Faithful Inn I think. Your kids will love them.
papito23

Post by papito23 »

For a great way to educate one's children about their great natural heritage, I highly recommend at least a single night camping. On the ground, with the other animals. As a bonus, it will make an $80 hotel feel like $300, and you'll get a fresh reminder of what the industrial revolution did. Have fun!
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

If you are going to Bozeman eat at Sir Scott's Oasis, great steaks.

In Jackson Hole, Billy's Big Burgers right in downtown.

We always try to stay at Hilton Garden Inns, best deal when you buy it with the breakfast buffet!

Just my two pennies worth.