Reliable Desktop? How much?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snyder66

Reliable Desktop? How much?

Post by snyder66 »

Looking for a reliable desktop. My kids continue to destroy our family laptop. Looking to get that repaired and give it to them. Any ideas for a decent desktop that just works?
TheOscarGuy

Re: Reliable Desktop? How much?

Post by TheOscarGuy »

snyder66 wrote:Looking for a reliable desktop. My kids continue to destroy our family laptop. Looking to get that repaired and give it to them. Any ideas for a decent desktop that just works?
How much $$ are you willing to spend?
My opinion is that you spend once on something that will work for a long time. Non-technical persons will have a harder time maintaining Windows machine. If you are not careful with installing right programs, you will land up in trouble.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

There is very little predictable difference in resistance to physical damage (apparently the issue here) between macs and various pc brands. Only computers specifically designed for harsh conditions (toughbook, for example) are predictably better at resisting physical damage.

Almost all computers are reliable and "just work" with reasonable usage. By the time a model is old enough to know if it's going to have unusual issues (say, short-lived cooling fans), it's probably already beyond its product lifecycle and is no longer available for retail sale. Occasionally you'll get a poor product from any manufacturer. It's possible that with a pc, you'll do better with product lines designed for business vs. consumers (somewhat longer lifecycle, typically better warranty), but that's not a sure thing, and you may pay a little more for those features.

Paul
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

snyder66 wrote:Looking for a reliable desktop. My kids continue to destroy our family laptop. Looking to get that repaired and give it to them. Any ideas for a decent desktop that just works?
The more "reliable" desktops are ones the average consumer will *not* see in the stores.
For Dell, the Optiplex and Precision series. For HP, the EliteDesk and ProDesk series.
Usually, these PCs are geared towards large businesses and are found under the Large Enterprise links.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

If you are looking for something that will hold against constant physical abuse, don't look at Macs. My suggestion was purely based on reliability. The hardware inherently isn't the one that breaks more often on PCs, its the operating system that gives up. This is due to the fact that more malware/viruses are written and exist for a PC (due to their abundance throughout the world, until now -- when more and more people are using Macs ). Its quite easy to introduce your machine to a new virus simply by downloading a wrong software, or visiting a wrong website.

I am not saying Mac is totally immune to it. But attacks are rare, since almost all such software is written for Windows OS.
slopecarver

Post by slopecarver »

Business Class hardware generally is of higher quality and will last longer. look at lenovo, you can still get good old windows 7 operating systems on them too.
Jfet

Post by Jfet »

System restore works wonders for a PC, or even better is a clean system wipe. My Gateway laptop had an option for restore to factory default operating system which required no disks or hunt for drivers. Yes, it does destroy everything on the hard drive, but that is what 16GB usb sticks are for. Runs so much better now and zero viruses (for awhile at least).
BL

Post by BL »

Are you talking about physically destroying or software destroying?

I think it is not that easy to physically destroy any desktop.
For avoiding viruses, a second machine such as a Chromebook (small laptop, $250), isn't supposed to be able to get viruses. I think it would be great if you have Wifi and your kids need something for school and surfing. It probably would be lacking for games and I suspect it could be destroyed easily in careless handling.
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

It's a keyboard issue. I realize the issue is abuse of said product. But, There is less to abuse/ go wrong in a desktop, correct? I realize after having a laptop, I would rather just have a larger desktop. It rarely leaves the spot where it is stationed. We will probably just get a tablet for portability. I will head over to Best Buy today, just not sure what to look for.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Jfet wrote:System restore works wonders for a PC, or even better is a clean system wipe. My Gateway laptop had an option for restore to factory default operating system which required no disks or hunt for drivers. Yes, it does destroy everything on the hard drive, but that is what 16GB usb sticks are for. Runs so much better now and zero viruses (for awhile at least).
That is a lot of read write operations on your hard drive, depending on how often you do the "system wipe". Moreover, it is bound not to be a silver bullet for all your virus problems: you transfer files from your infected PC's hard drive, to your 16GB usb stick, and then all of it back to PC hard drive when the drive is clean. Have you really done a clean system wipe here?
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

snyder66 wrote:Any ideas for a decent desktop that just works?
Walk into your local Microcenter and ask them to assemble one with the cheapest processor/motherboard (I use a $35 Intel Celeron G630), but absolutely positively with a Solid State drive ($80 for Samsung 128GB) instead of a Hard Disk drive - this is the key for performance. Choose any computer case you like the looks & price of (they have several dozens on display), a basic power supply from Seasonic or Antec ($30), and 4GB of memory from Crucial or Corsair ($25). You'll also need a DVD drive ($15) and a wireless adapter ($10). They will charge $70-ish for putting it together (if you are in Dallas area, IM me - I'll do it for you). Total should be around $300. Plus easy upgrades in the future if/when you feel like it.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

I can't even log in with my password!
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

snyder66 wrote:It's a keyboard issue. I realize the issue is abuse of said product.
Keyboards on laptops can be expensive, but depending on the model, it may be something you can replace yourself.
Look for parts on eBay.

snyder66 wrote:I will head over to Best Buy today, just not sure what to look for.
I would not get a all-in-one.
Get as much RAM as possible.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

snyder66 wrote:I can't even log in with my password!
?

If the laptop's keyboard doesn't work, you can always attach an external keyboard on the USB port.
telemark

Post by telemark »

The physically sturdiest PCs I'm aware of are the ones here. I'm posting this from a fit-PC3 running Linux: not the fastest computer I've ever used, but adequate for my purposes. The new model with an Intel processor should be noticeably faster.

If the problem is the keyboard, the great thing about desktops is that you can easily replace the keyboard. Or attach an external keyboard and monitor to your laptop.
cheapedy

Post by cheapedy »

I have been pleased with my Lenovo desktop that cost me $350 4 years ago from amazon. I have some slight RSI issues so I use ergonomic mice and keyboards with it. My previous desktop was a Pentium 3 that I bought for $1650 in 1999. It still works fine. All my friends' and family Laptops have failed throughout the years but the old pc keeps running. It's quite massive though.
Jfet

Post by Jfet »

cheapedy wrote:I have been pleased with my Lenovo desktop that cost me $350 4 years ago from amazon. I have some slight RSI issues so I use ergonomic mice and keyboards with it. My previous desktop was a Pentium 3 that I bought for $1650 in 1999. It still works fine. All my friends' and family Laptops have failed throughout the years but the old pc keeps running. It's quite massive though.
Well by that criterion my Radio Shack Model I is the most reliable desktop I have ever owned because it is still running :D
Toons

Post by Toons »

Sure,this desktop from Walmart will more than suffice for your needs,no need to overspend for a desktop. :happy
Not happy with it when you use it for a while,WalMart will refund ,15 day policy :happy
You can get it with a monitor for 398.00

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-Black ... t/24766511
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I'm actually curious as to why you want a desktop, specifically.

I'm not a desktop-hater myself, but it seems that nowadays laptops are so inexpensive and solid that it seems more reasonable for most people to buy a laptop that is readily portable, and takes up so much less space, for perhaps $50 more than it would to buy a desktop.

I would no longer even consider a desktop unless I was specifically doing high-end graphics work, or a dedicated high-end video gamer who heavily uses 3-D graphics acceleration.
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

Honestly, My laptop never leaves this spot where it is resting. If I need something portable, I use my phone. Would much rather have a larger screen, if it's just sitting here....
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

snyder66 wrote:Looking for a reliable desktop
Steelcase makes some good, solid ones.

"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

Now, That is funny!! Seriously...
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

snyder66 wrote:Honestly, My laptop never leaves this spot where it is resting. If I need something portable, I use my phone. Would much rather have a larger screen, if it's just sitting here....
Agreed, but also worth considering -

Laptops tend to use less power in general than desktops (at least they have been reported to very recently.) Probably not enough to make a dent in your power bill, but worth a thought.

I rarely move my laptop, but it's nicely plugged into 2nd external monitor (big one), so I use the big monitor most of the time. However, it's nice to have the mobility option when I do want to take it with me.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

If you are going to Best Buy, go to their website first and look for their Weekly Deals. If you see something that looks promising, write down the model number and go to the store. They won't have these items promonantly displayed but they are available if you ask and are often a much better deal than what is on display.

I have done this for both a desktop and a laptop in the past. I don't know why Best Buy does this except I think they are marketing to a different audience on the web (who shop more on price) than those who come to the store?
Toons

Post by Toons »

Years ago I had good experiences with Dell Outlet :happy

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSale ... d=41106c26
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
rfburns

Post by rfburns »

Honestly, I just pick a refurb or open box, HP or Dell usually, from Woot when I need a new one. $250 - $300 for my needs. Without looking hard I found this.
http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/676 ... open-box#0
Disclaimer: I have no vested interests in Woot or any products they sell.
soaring

Post by soaring »

here are Lenovo desktops at their outlet store starting at less than $250

http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/co ... criteria=1
Desiderata
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

soaring wrote:here are Lenovo desktops at their outlet store starting at less than $250

http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/co ... criteria=1
Lenovo is really good for the $. My mother in-law has a Lenovo desktop and I'm typing from a Lenovo laptop. Great product for less than HP or Dell.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Dude - buy another laptop - put it up on a shelf and plug it into a cheap keyboard and monitor. There is no reason to own a "desktop" these days unless the absolute lowest price to buy is your #1 criteria or you're some kinda legit "power" user.

Keyboards and mice are cheap. That's all the kids touch. And you still got the laptop for your convenience.

Plus it solves any uninterrupted power supply problem since it is a battery powered device on charge that can continue when the power goes out. Desktops are dinosaurs for most users.
Last edited by Atilla on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

This is a question we have been looking to answer for ourselves lately. No more desktops here only laptops. Apple makes really nice products that work out of the box. They are however losing pricing power and their margins are under pressure. The alternative is the Windows environment and the junky hardware providers. I am not familiar with Google hardware and software products.

The kicker is Apple is winning the retail and residential war. Windows still controls the business world by far. Yes tablets and iPhones are the toy or the day, but the business world is no where near doubling or more IT budgets to purchase Apple products.

Where will we end up? Who knows.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

Atilla wrote:Dude - buy another laptop - put it up on a shelf and plug it into a cheap keyboard and monitor. There is no reason to own a "desktop" these days unless the absolute lowest price to buy is your #1 criteria or you're some kinda legit "power" user.
Desktops are very lightweight these days. Why pay more for the convenience of a laptop if you aren't going to use the laptop like a laptop? That is silly.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

gvsucavie03 wrote:Lenovo is really good for the $. My mother in-law has a Lenovo desktop and I'm typing from a Lenovo laptop. Great product for less than HP or Dell.
I was shopping those three outlets for a laptop recently and most of the time it seemed to vary between HP and Lenovo, in terms of who had the best deal for us at any given time. However, I think Lenovo updates as they sell them off and HP only changes their clunky site once a day. Dell did not seem to have that great of deals, until they had a 25% off sale at which point we bought one of theirs. So I think it varies for the outlets, anyway.