Door to door annoyances--easy way to stop?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ryuns

Door to door annoyances--easy way to stop?

Post by ryuns »

I'm thinking about putting my door on the federal do-not-knock list. :) Seriously. I think our neighborhood (nice but compact, close to public transit and the city center). Magazine and newspaper subscriptions, donations for several different charities, religious evangelists, people selling tamales (I was okay with this except that it turned out the tamales were only mediocre. My fiance said she'd just buy tamales from the woman at work. In California, everyone sells tamales) and occasionally people looking for chores to do for a few bucks. I get more door knocks from these types than I do from my own neighbors and friends, so sometimes I hesitate to answer the door (if I don't think they've seen me through the window and/or TV isn't on). Which sucks, because I love my neighbors, and it's an awesome neighborhood.

Anyway, this isn't a huge deal, but it's obnoxious. We contribute a fair bit to different charities, but we want obviously don't want to do it without vetting them and ensuring it's going to the proper place. Any advice from Bogleheads? For the most part, I just need to tell people to bugger off, because I'm generally not interested in [fill in the blank]. But, of course, I can't really think of anything more uncomfortable than going to door-to-door asking strangers for money, and many of these people have the best motivations. What do you do in these situations? Do you respond before they start their spiel? Do you let them give the speech and respond then?

Thanks in advance.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
curmudgeon

Re: Door to door annoyances--easy way to stop?

Post by curmudgeon »

The usual answer is to post a "no soliciting" sign. It won't prevent all of them, but it stops most.
sport

Post by sport »

Where I used to live, the city provided small "no solicitation" stickers for your front door if you asked for one. Anyone who ignored the sticker and solicited was breaking the law. It seemed to work well.
Jeff
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

The solicitors are free to walk our city streets, but coming on to private property is considered trespassing if there is a no soliciting sign posted. Our subdivision has only one point of ingress/egress so the homeowners association has posted no soliciting signs at the entrance to help keep the solicitors out.
Tom D.
cheapedy

Post by cheapedy »

"SOLICITORS WILL BE SHOT" might be a more effective sign to use.
lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne »

I often simply don't even answer the door if I'm not expecting someone. People who want to stop by know that I do this & call me first. Putting up a sign, well before they even get close to your front door is another good thing to do. I support the area school by simply mailing a check, telling them I would rather send money than have kids knocking on my front door asking me to buy things I do not need. I'd rather have those kids doing actual school work than knocking on doors. The only school fundraisers I will support (for family members) are those where ALL the funds raised go to the school (a read-a-thon, a funfair (which also builds community) are two such examples.

I don't donate to charities that solicit my donations. I make it clear at the time of initial donations I do not want to be contacted about future donations & to not put me on any mailing or email lists. I also make it clear I will not donate if this request is not observed. I'll usually give them one additional chance (if I am contacted) by contacting them via email asking them again to remove me from all mailing (including email) lists. I don't appreciate my time being wasted (by paper or email mailings), nor do I appreciate my donation being wasted by paper mailings. I don't need the reminder - if I have the $ and want to support a charity, I know how to find them.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

How to install a peephole in your door:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaUngCWcogI
Topic Author
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Thanks all.

Huh, I didn't realize that "no soliciting" signs carried the force of law. That's good to know. I never thought they looked very welcoming, but I certainly see the benefit. Not really a good place to locate a sign, except on/near my actual door, unfortunately.

On not answering the door: that's certainly an option and something we have a feeling it's not anyone we want to see, and it's not super obvious we're home. The problem is that sometimes it's clear that we're home (it's a small house and sometimes you can hear music/TV, see that the lights are on, etc). I don't have a problem ignoring the solicitors (even if they do know I'm home), but I'm never particularly confident who it is and I'm always worried that I'm ignoring a neighbor. Most of us do have one another's cell phones, but we still just knock on doors for occasional borrowing of kitchen and yard items, spontaneous porch wine drinking, and weekend bike rides, and I'm not too keen on missing that.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
CordMcNally

Post by CordMcNally »

I just don't answer the door. I look to see who it is first and if I don't know them, I just don't answer. Whether or not they see me doesn't play into my decision.
MoneyBagsRx

Post by MoneyBagsRx »

My doberman pinscher in the front yard has done wonders for keeping the solicitors away. Granted, to prevent the accusation of "your dog bit me" I make sure I'm also outside on the porch watching.
Topic Author
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

YttriumNitrate wrote:How to install a peephole in your door:

Bummer--my door has stained glass at the top. Vaguely like this, but only one door. We get a lot of compliments on it. Maybe I could install one lower, that angles up? heh
Topic Author
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

CordMcNally wrote:I just don't answer the door. I look to see who it is first and if I don't know them, I just don't answer. Whether or not they see me doesn't play into my decision.
That's a fair point. Do you have a peephole though? Just not sure it's in my constitution to look at them directly (through the glass or adjacent window--no peephole, as mentioned) and then go about my business. But it's also hard for me to be firm with people have mastered their craft, so the former is probably the lesser evil.
Jfet

Post by Jfet »

Motion sensor, recording of Doberman, 15 inch speaker in bushes, sign on front door saying your dog is missing, please be careful.

I would be very surprised if you get anyone staying to knock.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ryuns wrote:Bummer--my door has stained glass at the top. Vaguely like this, but only one door. We get a lot of compliments on it. Maybe I could install one lower, that angles up? heh
Put a sign on the door "$10 for each knock" and a collection dish on the floor with a taped note "Deposit your payment HERE."

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
CordMcNally

Post by CordMcNally »

ryuns wrote:
CordMcNally wrote:I just don't answer the door. I look to see who it is first and if I don't know them, I just don't answer. Whether or not they see me doesn't play into my decision.
That's a fair point. Do you have a peephole though? Just not sure it's in my constitution to look at them directly (through the glass or adjacent window--no peephole, as mentioned) and then go about my business. But it's also hard for me to be firm with people have mastered their craft, so the former is probably the lesser evil.
No peephole. If it's during the day, we usually have the front blinds open. Most of the time they don't see me anyway. I compare it to silencing a cell phone. When it rings a few times then goes straight to voicemail, they know you consciously didn't answer. :D

Besides, there's been more than a handful of cases of people answering the door lately around here then someone barging in and holding them at gunpoint. I'd rather not have to go get my gun every time I'm going to answer the door. The case could be made that they may try to break in since they don't think anyone is home. I think that'd still give me a few seconds to grab the gun and be ready while they attempt to break in not knowing somebody is home.

We do have a Golden Retriever with a mean bark that I'm sure would deter those on the fence, however, I'm sure he'd show any intruder where the important things are for a treat.
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne »

Or, you can say (through the door or a window) "sorry we're not interested" or ask why they're there. I don't have a problem with them perceiving it as rude - I perceive it as increasing safety.
Jfet

Post by Jfet »

Note on the door: "Summoning demon in basement, please knock loudly, thank you"

Might work?
windaar

Post by windaar »

Maybe get the local laws changed. Our city requires all commercial solicitors to get a permit. A huckster without one will get the police called on him pretty quickly. The law does not apply to political or religious groups, but it really does limit the door-to-door salesmen. I think that with such a climate of hostility to solicitors that it cuts down on the political interruptions too; almost no one ever rings my doorbell.
Nobody knows nothing.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

We don't get too many here.

I've never tried a literal version of "seven noes" with someone at the front door--that is, saying "No, no, no, no, no, no, no." But I do use the word "no," or the equivalent, once or twice in every sentence, and so far it has led to them breaking off politely without too much discomfort on my part. It worked a few weeks ago with a guy trying to get people signed up for one of the cable companies. I was polite and even volunteered information as to why I preferred the competition, but I kept saying "no."

I was once told that salespeople are literally trained to listen for seven "no's," as in trained to count them, hence, I was told, "if you say 'no, no, no, no, no, no, no' they've got their seven." I actually tried that on the phone once and it worked. But it feels a little weird and uncomfortable, so I use the subtler version. I'd love to know whether it's really true that their trained to count them.

My wife has a funny story about her mother--someone came to the door selling encyclopedias, and her mother looked him right in the eye and said matter-of-factly, "Oh, thank you so much, but we can't use one, I'm afraid none of us can read."

I don't know how to avoid the nuisance of the interruption, though.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

windaar wrote:Maybe get the local laws changed. Our city requires all commercial solicitors to get a permit. A huckster without one will get the police called on him pretty quickly. The law does not apply to political or religious groups, but it really does limit the door-to-door salesmen. I think that with such a climate of hostility to solicitors that it cuts down on the political interruptions too; almost no one ever rings my doorbell.
Ahhh! We do have a requirement in this county to carry a copy of the permit and a business license, but non-profits and churches are exempt. I did a bit of googling and came up with an article from a couple years ago. http://blogs.sacbee.com/crime/archives/ ... rea-2.html I can't comment as to whether it's effective. We do occasionally get what I think are commercial endeavors disguised as a non-profit (i.e., it's subscriptions to help a youth get a scholarship or something).

That's still a good recommendation. They'd have to have evidence they're a non-profit or be able to provide the right permits. At least I'd feel better about vetting them, on the chances that I caught someone breaking the law and got to rat them out.
Last edited by ryuns on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

nisiprius wrote:
My wife has a funny story about her mother--someone came to the door selling encyclopedias, and her mother looked him right in the eye and said matter-of-factly, "Oh, thank you so much, but we can't use one, I'm afraid none of us can read."

I don't know how to avoid the nuisance of the interruption, though.
I like that. My rather shameless older brother had taken to responding to telemarketers by stating that "s/he can't come to the phone right now, s/he is taking a dump." Or something equally uncomfortable.

I'm beginning to think I may take a tact of just being slightly rude, interrupting them with a "sorry not interested" and an exasperated "man, do you have any idea how many folks come through here on a given weekend? Ain't no way I can give to everyone." A little curmudgeonly, but blaming the "other people" would make me feel better. :)
Last edited by ryuns on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Get a Halloween mask and do a reverse trick-or-treat.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

VictoriaF wrote:Get a Halloween mask and do trick-or-treat in reverse.

Victoria
Maybe get a "Gimp"-style ball gag (matching chaps too, I think), and open the door and calmly try to speak, and ultimately just shrug and head back inside.
rayout

Post by rayout »

Just need a hole in your door and some paint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kee7iyp_3U
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

rayout wrote:Just need a hole in your door and some paint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kee7iyp_3U
Or create camera obscura.

Victoria
Quasimodo

Post by Quasimodo »

To save time and trouble for everyone, I just tell the people "I can't afford to donate, but good luck to you!"

John
Many wealthy people are little more than janitors of their possessions. | | Frank Lloyd Wright, architect (1867-1959)
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

In my town solicitors have to get a license. Since I am in a suburb with 1/2 acre lots, only very few ring the bell. We usually do not answer and have curtains to the front closed, to the back we have a locked 5ft picket fence. We love our privacy. We also do not pick up phone calls, have phone ID. Though a situation arose where my 10 year old grandson opened the front door, neighbor lady wanted to talk gardening, and grandson said I did not want to see anyone.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I just get a few of these per year.
More common is to just get non-mail in my mailbox for a lawn service or gutter cleaning.
Assuming I'm home, I'll answer the door and rather politely but succinctly say I'm not interested...
Attempted new signature...
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

If the doorbell rings, I will tread lightly towards the peephole, and if I don't recognize the person, I walk away lightly and don't answer the door. Sort of like what I do with phone calls. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer it.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

cheapedy wrote:"SOLICITORS WILL BE SHOT" might be a more effective sign to use.
Can I borrow this idea? My "No solicitors/no handbills" sign is often ignored. I'm constantly receiving ads and coupons for roofing, lawn care, painting etc. It's a huge waste of paper.
lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne »

Colorado13 wrote:
cheapedy wrote:"SOLICITORS WILL BE SHOT" might be a more effective sign to use.
Can I borrow this idea? My "No solicitors/no handbills" sign is often ignored. I'm constantly receiving ads and coupons for roofing, lawn care, painting etc. It's a huge waste of paper.
I suspect people often do not really understand what "No solicitors" means, or else they don't see it/read it. You might try a more explicit sign: "Please do not leave paper or plastic advertising of any kind, including political and religious. Please do not knock unless you are family or friend. We do not buy anything from or give charitable donations to strangers on our front door step."

The above will make it clear that handbills & visits of a religious nature are not welcome. Still, those people may think saving your soul is more important than not interrupting you!

Another sign that says "Smile. You are being videotaped." might also help!
SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan »

This reminds me of the time a while back during junior high when I was at home in the summer. A couple Jehovah's Witnesses that were about my age rang the bell with their mom waiting at the end of the driveway. I opened the door wearing nothing but my underwear, smiled real big and said, "What can I do for you?" I've never seen two girls blush so big, stumble over a few unintelligible words and then run away that fast. My dad said later he was sure they wouldn't be the last women to run away that quickly after seeing me in a state of undress. A very wise man, I must say.

SAM
davebarnes

I answer the door

Post by davebarnes »

I ask them if they have accepted nuclear fusion as their lord and savior.
Only 1 correct answer in 10+ years.
Wrong answer gets a door closing.
The confused look on their faces is worth it.
A nerd living in Denver
2comma

Post by 2comma »

I feel no obligation to be cordial or even pretend I'm not there. If I don't know them and am not expecting a stranger I just ignore them; same goes for the phone with caller id. I don't think that's rude but I do think it's rude for strangers to knock at my door and expect me to listen to them. I have no problems saying no or debating them, it's just more effecient of my time and their's to have them ring or knock twice and then leave.
If I am stupid I will pay.
thomase

Post by thomase »

I just look through my peep hole and if it's not a neighbor I don't even open the door. Don't care if solicitor knows I'm at home. They always come around dinner time and I hate interrupting my dinner.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Living in the country I get very few door knockers, and those are usually holy rollers of one flavor or another. I just open the door and after about 4 words from them to ascertain what they want, I say "no thanks" and close the door. I believe I'd do the same if I lived in a more urban area.
Regards | Bob
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

ryuns wrote:
YttriumNitrate wrote:How to install a peephole in your door:

Bummer--my door has stained glass at the top. Vaguely like this, but only one door. We get a lot of compliments on it. Maybe I could install one lower, that angles up? heh
EASY fix! I have something similar. I went to Lowes and picked up some reflective window tint. You apply it to the inside of the glass and it turns your glass in to a 1-way mirror. During the daytime it actually enhances your glass by putting a mirror behind it when viewed from the outside. From the inside, as long as the inside isn't brightly lit, the window is just tinted. They can't see you. If you don't know them, just turn around and ignore. I really initially did this for radiant heat rejection, which it does very well, but it also gives wonderful privacy. It's not terribly expensive, just use a lot of solution when applying and get all of the bubbles out before it dries. If you want a professional to do it you can call any automotive window tint shop and they will likely come out and do it.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I used to just ignore people at the door, but now my kids run to the door so I'm kinda trapped. Thankfully, we don't get many people besides the HS or boyscout kids selling candy or something.
floydtime

Post by floydtime »

Answer the door naked.
"Do not value money for any more nor any less than its worth; it is a good servant but a bad master" - Alexandre Dumas
magician

Post by magician »

Years ago a Jehovah's Witness came to our door, and I answered it. He started telling me how the New Testament in the King James Bible was an inaccurate translation of the original Greek (never mind that the original was largely Aramaic), with all sorts of specific examples.

I asked him if he were sure, and he assured me that he was.

I went to a bookshelf in our living room and returned with a Greek New Testament, and asked him to show me the passages he was citing. As expected, he didn't read Greek.

That pretty much put a stop to that.
Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
MichDad

Post by MichDad »

I like the way they deal with this in Australia, as described in the following link:

http://consumersfederation.org.au/landm ... k-sticker/
investor

Post by investor »

I want to get rid of the printed handouts placed at my door. Easy to get rid of the people.

investor
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

MichDad wrote:I like the way they deal with this in Australia, as described in the following link:

http://consumersfederation.org.au/landm ... k-sticker/
Do they put the stickers down under?

Victoria
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

lindisfarne wrote:
I suspect people often do not really understand what "No solicitors" means, or else they don't see it/read it. You might try a more explicit sign: "Please do not leave paper or plastic advertising of any kind, including political and religious. Please do not knock unless you are family or friend. We do not buy anything from or give charitable donations to strangers on our front door step."
Thanks for the suggestion. I may add a visual aid to the sign, because I get the impression that some of the handbill delivery people may not have the best English language/reading skills. (I don't intend for that comment to be disparaging or to offend anyone.)
ol_pops

Post by ol_pops »

Here in Texas ,I've heard that a diagonal purple line on the sidewalk is the "last millenia" equivalent
of "No Solicitors". Back then, folks could not read so that was used. Don't know what to do about
folks that can read but refuse to do so.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

It's my door and my phone. I will open or answer them when I want. If I'm feeling polite that day I will say no thank you before closing the door or hanging up.
leonard

Post by leonard »

A neighbor in my neighborhood simple extended his front yard picket fence to completely block access to his front door - no gate or access via the sidewalk.

At the time - our neighborhood had solicitors daily - so I completely understood why he would do it. I even contemplated it myself, but for some reason my spouse wouldn't let me.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
Topic Author
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

VictoriaF wrote:
rayout wrote:Just need a hole in your door and some paint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kee7iyp_3U
Or create camera obscura.

Victoria
Yes, one of my favorite bands. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_Obscura_%28band%29