Cable Free at Last!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
magicmom

Cable Free at Last!

Post by magicmom »

Hooked up my new antenna!!
Cancelled Comcast!!
Have Netflix!!
Yippee!!
$$$$ saved.
Boglenaut

Re: Cable Free at Last!

Post by Boglenaut »

It's been about 3 years (I think) with no cable here. I went on trip last month thinking it'll be nice to see cable at the hotel.

It turns out the trip only re-affirmed my decision to drop cable. The programming really added almost nothing, but subtracted a lot of good Over-the-air stations we get. I don't watch sports and got fed up paying for ESPN I didn't want.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

Boglenaut wrote:I don't watch sports and got fed up paying for ESPN I didn't want.
^ sports are the reason i have cable. envious.
rr2

Post by rr2 »

magicmom wrote:Hooked up my new antenna!!
Cancelled Comcast!!
Have Netflix!!
Yippee!!
$$$$ saved.
That's great. We did that about a year ago. Saving almost $90/month. Got rid of Digital HD cable with DVR. The antenna is great. But we hardly watch much anyway. Netflix is plenty good.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Spouse has a couple favorite cable channels. Tried Netflix but never found anything worth watching. Cable bill is cheaper than divorce attorney.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

Boglenaut wrote:It's been about 3 years (I think) with no cable here. I went on trip last month thinking it'll be nice to see cable at the hotel.

It turns out the trip only re-affirmed my decision to drop cable. The programming really added almost nothing, but subtracted a lot of good Over-the-air stations we get. I don't watch sports and got fed up paying for ESPN I didn't want.

Same boat here. Haven't missed it one bit. Spent a three nights in a hotel two weeks ago and it definitely re-affirmed my decision as well. I spent one night watching a 'reality' show about people shipping items across the country. It seems like a good portion of the programming nowadays is nothing more than watching people do their jobs.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

I liked watching Pawn Stars... but would go crazy with it on almost every night it seems. But we just got the DVD from the library and was set.

I used to like CNBC... but now it just seems silly.

I also like getting 4 to 8 PBS channels here (1 or 2 in HD), where on cable I got one standard def.

Between new and improved Over-The-Air, streaming for free, library DVDs for free (can check out 50 as well as special order them), and stacks of $2 or $3 DVDs I stock up on Black Fridays, I am not missing much.

http://www.vulture.com/2011/12/polone-c ... carte.html
If you don't watch sports, you're really being overcharged, because sports networks command the largest fees from providers: ESPN, the lobster of this cable meal, currently receives $4.69 in affiliate fees for each of their 100 million-plus subscribers (and many fear that number will go up after the network paid $15.2 billion to extend its rights to Monday Night Football). TNT, which broadcasts the NBA, NCAA basketball, NASCAR, and golf, gets $1.16, while the average for all the other networks is 26 cents. The total cost of these fees is estimated to be about $30 to 35 of the $69 I would pay for basic cable in my area. So, if you don’t watch sports, especially football, you are paying a disproportionate share of your monthly cable bill for programming you never watch.
PinZabu

Post by PinZabu »

We just got cable - for a landline and for higher speed internet than the DSL line from Verizon. (No FIOS here) We did three years without a land line and had network extenders for the cell phones that made only the slightest difference. Never had cable TV.

TV - a time sink. Spouse hooked up the antenna in the attic a few weeks ago when the country went digital, we get the majors and two PBS channels, that is all we need. We amuse ourselves with something called books. Oh and beer :beer
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I applaud those who have saved money without cable. If one is a sports fan of any type, as many here seem to be, there is no realistic way to not have cable or satellite tv that I am aware of. Also, of course, news shows, financial shows and some other great channels like nat geo, nat geo wild, discovery, etc. But everybody knows what their own needs are.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Calm Man wrote:I applaud those who have saved money without cable. If one is a sports fan of any type, as many here seem to be, there is no realistic way to not have cable or satellite tv that I am aware of. Also, of course, news shows, financial shows and some other great channels like nat geo, nat geo wild, discovery, etc. But everybody knows what their own needs are.
I watch sports without cable. There are some great sites online now for streaming sports. I plug an hdmi cable into the tv from the computer and I'm set. Obviously, quality isn't as good with streaming but definitely watchable.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler »

Just cut the cord last week... saving $95/month. Sports is by far the biggest issue, but half of the football games on Saturday are on OTA channels anyway. We are using Windows Media Center to record shows, but I had to upgrade an older computer (new Windows license + computer upgrades = $400) to really make it work.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

My kids just told me about "Duck Dynasty" last night. I may have to get cable again. :)
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

thewizzer wrote:
Boglenaut wrote:It's been about 3 years (I think) with no cable here. I went on trip last month thinking it'll be nice to see cable at the hotel.

Same boat here. Haven't missed it one bit. Spent a three nights in a hotel two weeks ago and it definitely re-affirmed my decision as well. I spent one night watching a 'reality' show about people shipping items across the country. It seems like a good portion of the programming nowadays is nothing more than watching people do their jobs.
I have to agree. Every time I spend a night at a hotel and see what is on television, I am happy I gave up watching television some time ago.
Best Wishes, | Joe
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

thewizzer wrote:

Ditto here. We've been cable free for about two years after our dish network contract was up. They raised the price twice while we were under the two year contract. The first time was two months into the contract. Angered me to no end for two years. Just got back from a business trip. I thought I would just binge on cable tv at he hotel. But there was nothing on to watch besides sports. Over the air HD with a windows media center as DVR has served me well so far and no monthly cost besides the initial computer cost.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

awval999 wrote:
Boglenaut wrote:I don't watch sports and got fed up paying for ESPN I didn't want.
What sports do you watch? MLB and NHL, I think, have online streaming options. The NFL may or may not have put Sunday Ticket on PS3. I believe these can be made cheaper over two seasons versus cable (if that's the only reason you have cable).

Furthermore, NBC broadcasts Sunday Night Football (NFL) online. However, this can typically be gathered OTA, and it's not like you have to worry about being in- or out- of market as you do with the other two Sunday game time slots.

Some sports (emerging ones, not the big ones) are mostly available online. Last Spring, I got into Arena Football. It's broadcast for free over the internet, all but one game each week. It isn't some shady website operating under questionable legality, either: it's ustream, and it's linked from the AFL's main site. I think they have a partnership. Two of the teams - San Jose and Phoenix - broadcast their home games in HD, so if your computer is connected via HDMI to a good TV, you can watch it in HD for free. It doesn't compete with the NFL in time slots (other than one week or so in the latter's pre-season), and it allows me to not have to go February to September without football. Plus, if you get into it, tickets tend to be far cheaper than NFL ones.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
Topic Author
magicmom

Post by magicmom »

WHat is the set up configuration for windows media center OTA?
johnny72

Post by johnny72 »

No fios tv for two months now. Don't miss it at all.

Savings weren't that great though since my two year contract was up, they raised their prices on the landline phone and 50/20 Internet I have through them. Currently pay $85 per month all-in for the phone and Internet. Need the phone for the wife and the alarm system on the house.

With the TV bundled in previously my bill was about $120 all-in so I'm saving about $35 per month vs the discounted contract price.
3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler »

magicmom wrote:WHat is the set up configuration for windows media center OTA?
There are a couple options... we use something called HDHomeRun (a very small box that plugs into the antennae cable). There are also TV tuners you can put in your actual computer (Hauppage is a popular one), but that gets a little more complicated unless you know your way around a computer.

In the case of HDHomeRun, its fairly easy to set up. Windows Media Center recognizes the tv tuner from HDHomeRun and scans all of your stations. You then have a guide and DVR very similar to a cable company's guide/DVR. You can set up a TV series recording. Also an Xbox 360 can be used as an extender, so everything I can do in Windows Media Center on my computer, I can do through the XBox360.

My wife is still getting the hang of it, but it really is not much more complicated than cable once its set up and running. I think most people would be better served with having a dedicated computer if they want to watch a lot of TV and do recordings through Windows Media Center (it will probably also cost you an extra couple of bucks per month on your electric bill).
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Does cable internet only count?
parsi1

Post by parsi1 »

What kind of TV antena do you all use to get free HD from air? can you please post a link to a site like amazon that sell that kind of antena.
Thanks
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

We tried the cable free mode for a few months first, and to our surprise, we actually enjoyed it more than cable. We hooked an old desktop PC to the TV using HDMI and wireless keyboard/mouse, and attached a multi-directional antenna ($50-ish, found refurb one for $10 on amzn). After a couple of months experimenting, we happily cut off cable, saved a bunch of $$$ and never felt like we missed a thing.

We are using KYLO.TV, a firefox based TV content browser...

We came across a lot of content online that we were not watching on cable - this is because the remote control is a far inferior way of browsing content compared to a full blown PC interface. We also like couch browsing, and the fact that we were not time bound anymore - watching content online is like having free TIVO/DVR.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
awval999

Post by awval999 »

Clever_Username wrote:
awval999 wrote:
What sports do you watch? MLB and NHL, I think, have online streaming options. The NFL may or may not have put Sunday Ticket on PS3. I believe these can be made cheaper over two seasons versus cable (if that's the only reason you have cable).

Furthermore, NBC broadcasts Sunday Night Football (NFL) online. However, this can typically be gathered OTA, and it's not like you have to worry about being in- or out- of market as you do with the other two Sunday game time slots.

Some sports (emerging ones, not the big ones) are mostly available online. Last Spring, I got into Arena Football. It's broadcast for free over the internet, all but one game each week. It isn't some shady website operating under questionable legality, either: it's ustream, and it's linked from the AFL's main site. I think they have a partnership. Two of the teams - San Jose and Phoenix - broadcast their home games in HD, so if your computer is connected via HDMI to a good TV, you can watch it in HD for free. It doesn't compete with the NFL in time slots (other than one week or so in the latter's pre-season), and it allows me to not have to go February to September without football. Plus, if you get into it, tickets tend to be far cheaper than NFL ones.
i do agree that one can get the vast majority of sports over the air and such. in my specific case it's just not sports, although I'd pay $50/month for just ESPN, it's the girlfriend and her trashy tv addiction. :(
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

parsi1 wrote:What kind of TV antena do you all use to get free HD from air? can you please post a link to a site like amazon that sell that kind of antena.
Thanks
Here you go...
http://www.amazon.com/ClearStream-Micro ... ndoor+hdtv
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Browser

Post by Browser »

This thread gives me hope that we are not a nation of idiots after all. Now, if I can just drop the cable (actually satellite) habit. I've tried antenna in the past and really thought it was OK and didn't miss cable channels at all, but had to go back to cable where I lived because it would require an antenna the size of a football field to pull in local channels. Sports is a racket, I know, but I often watch because the alternatives are so mind-numbing. Of course, there's the alternative of doing something else with my life - but I'm an idiot.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

parsi1 wrote:What kind of TV antena do you all use to get free HD from air? can you please post a link to a site like amazon that sell that kind of antena.
Thanks
There are a lot of choices:
Showing 1 - 24 of 68,847 Results
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ds=antenna
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Browser wrote:Sports is a racket, I know, but I often watch because the alternatives are so mind-numbing.
I wouldn't call PBS mind-numbing, quite the opposite actually. I absolutely love Frontline, NOVA, Independent Lens, and the like.

I love sports too, but no need for cable there - I think there's enough of it on the over-the-air channels for me. I think the thing that made it easy for me to cut cable was that I started to dislike the cable news channels - all of them started to feel either too sensationalized or too partisan.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

I'd love to try it. Sports (specifically football) would be the big thing I'd miss, though I've made it through numerous years showing up at sports bars on Sundays before I had the scratch to spend on Sunday Ticket, or when it became too expensive. I only 'watch' two programs all year long on TV, which amounts to approximately 20 hours per year for these programs. Anything else I happen to watch is out of the corner of my eye while my wife sucks in program after program. And therein lies the rub - she loves her TV, and watches just about everything. Though I'd drop my pay TV in a heartbeat to see those savings and subsist on Amazon Prime video and whatever other cheap options, I'd have to pry the DirecTV DVR out of my wife's cold, dead fingers.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Sunny Sarkar wrote: I wouldn't call PBS mind-numbing, quite the opposite actually.
How many times can you watch repeats of Suze Orman and Ed Slott infomercials? The first time might not be mind numbing, but the fifth time sure is. I can't even tell you the names of the hosts of all the health related infomercials, as I turn the channel within the first 5 seconds.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

sscritic wrote:
Sunny Sarkar wrote: I wouldn't call PBS mind-numbing, quite the opposite actually.
How many times can you watch repeats of Suze Orman and Ed Slott infomercials? The first time might not be mind numbing, but the fifth time sure is. I can't even tell you the names of the hosts of all the health related infomercials, as I turn the channel within the first 5 seconds.
On PBS? I've never seen either of them on PBS channels.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
bru

Post by bru »

jebmke wrote:On PBS? I've never seen either of them on PBS channels.
They air here mostly during pledge periods. As an aside since you do enjoy and partake in "free" PBS programming I hope you contribute.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

bru wrote:
They air here mostly during pledge periods. As an aside since you do enjoy and partake in "free" PBS programming I hope you contribute.
Every year. Avian CPR.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

We are using this RCA antenna that is mounted on the back of our house and picking up about 30 channels. HD reception is awesome as the OTA signal is not compressed like it is on the cable network. We are currently direct into one TV, but will expand to others in the house later.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751R-Outdo ... ds=antenna

We found the correct antenna directional pattern using guidance from TVFool.

Goodbye cable!
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

There's not a lot of OTA content here, and many of the shows I watch are on cable.

Brian
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

pennstater2005 wrote:
Calm Man wrote:I applaud those who have saved money without cable. If one is a sports fan of any type, as many here seem to be, there is no realistic way to not have cable or satellite tv that I am aware of. Also, of course, news shows, financial shows and some other great channels like nat geo, nat geo wild, discovery, etc. But everybody knows what their own needs are.
I watch sports without cable. There are some great sites online now for streaming sports. I plug an hdmi cable into the tv from the computer and I'm set. Obviously, quality isn't as good with streaming but definitely watchable.
Indeed, I have found a few good sites to watch, English Premier League soccer and other soccer, for example. And they stream a lot of things. The problem I have is that suddenly it stops sometimes and you get a statement saying "site banned" or "copyright infringement".

I do think that saving money is always good. Everybody's circumstances are different and to some people $100 a month means ALOT. If it doesn't though, to me it is worthwhile to purchase full cable TV service (not premiums) for the convenience and variety.
Topic Author
magicmom

Post by magicmom »

Thanks
www.antennaweb.org

HEre you can find which antenna works for you.
I personally got the RCA Ant751 from Amazon around $40
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

Thanks
Terk HDTVa
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

No cable - only internet + free OTA channels
DVDs from Library and online recordings help <save time not watching ads and guessing the story as well>
Sports is available online/gym/sports bar.

I try to keep my TV time limited
arthurb999

Post by arthurb999 »

FIOS is pretty cheap... I pay 105/mth for cable (2 boxes, whole house DVR), internet, and phone (for alarm system).
I think it's worth it considering the size of my household...
johnny72

Post by johnny72 »

arthurb999 wrote:FIOS is pretty cheap... I pay 105/mth for cable (2 boxes, whole house DVR), internet, and phone (for alarm system).
I think it's worth it considering the size of my household...
That's your two year contract price. Wait until your contract is up and it'll shoot to $180+ per month.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

bru wrote:
Screw 'em -- they fired Fred Willard. And their four-month delay in airing season 3 of Downton Abbey forces me to stream it over the web, dubiously.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Cancelled Comcast!!
Have Netflix!!
Yippee!!
$$$$ saved.
Congratulations, I did this in 2008 and never went back. You might also want to join Amazon Prime. Along with the many great benefits, it comes with tons of free content to watch to compliment your Netflix.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
DTSC

Post by DTSC »

stemikger wrote:
Cancelled Comcast!!
Have Netflix!!
Yippee!!
$$$$ saved.
Congratulations, I did this in 2008 and never went back. You might also want to join Amazon Prime. Along with the many great benefits, it comes with tons of free content to watch to compliment your Netflix.
I was thinking about getting Amazon Prime, but how is it different from Netflix?
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

DTSC wrote: I was thinking about getting Amazon Prime, but how is it different from Netflix?
Netflix won't give you free two day shipping on the new antenna you bought. :)
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

Thanks in part to the advantage of boglehead style investing, I am able to easily afford the cost of cable. No jumping through hoops to hook up antennae to get OTA brodcasts, no netflix, no roku, no home-made pc-based dvr, and no scouring the internet to get poor video quality bootleg sports (and the threats of virus infection they bring). I quit beating myself up over spending $60-$70 per month for cable.
thebogledude

Post by thebogledude »

Monk was the last good show on cable.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

Amazon Prime gives you streaming, 2 day free shipping/overnight 99 cent shipping (and Amazon sells just about everything), and 1 free kindle book per month from a large selection. The price is lower than Netflix as well.

Netflix has better streaming selection, without a doubt, though Amazon is starting to close the gap.

I'd say that if you don't make many purchases on Amazon or have a Kindle/e-reader, and strictly are looking for TV, go with Netflix. If not, strongly consider Amazon Prime.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

It's been about a dozen years since we cancelled cable. It got too expensive and too stupid. Looking back on our cable-free years it is impossible to say "Egads! Our lives would have been so much richer and fuller if only we'd had cable!" :oops: We've easily saved over $10K on cable bills and we had only basic cable.
Topic Author
magicmom

Post by magicmom »

sscritic wrote:
DTSC wrote: I was thinking about getting Amazon Prime, but how is it different from Netflix?
Netflix won't give you free two day shipping on the new antenna you bought. :)

It was free shipping anyway for over $25.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

sscritic wrote:How many times can you watch repeats of Suze Orman and Ed Slott infomercials?
I don't know/remember where sscritic is, but I see them a lot on South Carolina ETV, around fund-raising time. I put up with that sort of thing and send SCETV a check every year so I can watch things like Wagner's "Ring" cycle from the Metropolitan Opera.

Actually, for weekly programming, my wife and I probably watch UNC-TV (North Carolina) more often. Since the switch to digital OTA broadcasting, we can usually get a decent signal from one of their stations "north of the border." They originate some nice programming (travel, etc.). I should start sending them some money.
Last edited by 22twain on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

While one can save some money by not having cable, there is a positive side effect by not watching a lot of television:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/1 ... -dont-sit/
The research, published in separate medical journals this month, adds to a growing scientific consensus that the more time someone spends sitting, especially in front of the television, the shorter and less robust his or her life may be.
I am going to take a walk. :happy
Best Wishes, | Joe