Cheapest Per Minute Cell Phone Plan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
creant

Cheapest Per Minute Cell Phone Plan

Post by creant »

I am looking for the cheapest cell phone plan that will allows for voice/text very infrequently (like a few minutes/texts a month).

I believe AT&T has a prepaid plan that costs $100 for 1000 minutes/texts and expires in 1 year. This is $8.33/mo.

Is there anything cheaper?
Chuck

Re: Cheapest Per Minute Cell Phone Plan

Post by Chuck »

Red Pocket Mobile on Sprint/T-Mobile network is $2.50 per month if you buy a $30/yr refill on eBay.
I have not tried this company or this service, but the Internet tells me it's real.
Abe

Post by Abe »

creant wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 pm I am looking for the cheapest cell phone plan that will allows for voice/text very infrequently (like a few minutes/texts a month).

I believe AT&T has a prepaid plan that costs $100 for 1000 minutes/texts and expires in 1 year. This is $8.33/mo.

Is there anything cheaper?
I have this plan. It's $100 for 1000 minutes (.10c per minute) for voice and it's 20 cents each I believe for text messages. I very seldom do text. You do not have to pay anything to renew each year if you have at least $100 carry over on your account.

Edit: Update on this plan--- AT&T went up on this plan to .35c a minute and you have to renew every 30 days. They say you can renew by paying one dollar, but the only way you can do that is to call them which is a hassle. If you renew online it cost a minimum of five dollars.
Last edited by Abe on Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Post by 123 »

Chuck wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:53 pm Red Pocket Mobile on Sprint/T-Mobile network is $2.50 per month if you buy a $30/yr refill on eBay.
I have not tried this company or this service, but the Internet tells me it's real.
Link to ebay offer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133196831828?v ... BM5taYz9Nf

This seems like a deal that would be hard to beat. You get 200 minutes a month (but it does not roll over). The primary downside to relatively low monthly limits is that you often have to buy a "refill" if you go over (and that refill often doesn't roll over). Buy if someone just wants a phone to use very irregularly it could work out very well. One concern can be the age of the phone you want to use. If the phone is an older flip phone using 2G or 3G networks those networks are being phased out.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Abe wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:00 pm
creant wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 pm I believe AT&T has a prepaid plan that costs $100 for 1000 minutes/texts and expires in 1 year. This is $8.33/mo.
I have this plan. It's $100 for 1000 minutes (.10c per minute) for voice and it's 20 cents each I believe for text messages. I very seldom do text.
Edit: it turns out the 10c, 15c, and even the 25c per minute plans from AT&T prepaid are no longer available.
Last edited by DavidC on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In true boglehead fashion my chief concern is saving enough to withstand 7 consecutive biblical plagues. - TheNightsToCome
jadec

Post by jadec »

I'm on my second year of the $2.50/$30 annual Red Pocket plan. It works well for my needs.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

jadec wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:25 pm I'm on my second year of the $2.50/$30 annual Red Pocket plan. It works well for my needs.
I was going to say this. You can't beat the Red Pocket annual plans.

$30/yr for 200 minutes/1000 text messages/200mb data a month.

T-Mobile network.
Topic Author
creant

Post by creant »

Red Pocket sounds like a great deal. What is the cheapest phone for this service?
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

I use prepaid Tracfone, which uses Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon networks. Locally, my connection is with AT&T. I had a 3G phone, and Tracfone notified me I needed to update to a new model. Among the options I was presented with on their web site was a no cost 4G LTE-compatible basic phone for me to continue service with them.

I buy the prepaid cards at the local grocery or drug store, which extends service another 90 days (and are typically about $20).
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
minerlax4

Post by minerlax4 »

I have used red pocket for years and love it.

However, I'd first ask if this phone is going to be around wifi all the time. If so, you could get a cheap android phone, get a google voice number for free, and use google voice and google chat for free.

As for a device, I like unlocked motorola phones because they usually work with all the carriers, so I can jump around to a different cheap carrier if I want.
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

Tracfone with the 365 day plan is worth considering
Focus on what you can control
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

Check out Tello https://tello.com/
I do a hybrid. I use the pay as you go talk which is $.01/minute. You need to start with a $20 (before taxes) prepaid purchase but afterwards you can have it auto top up for $10 when the balance falls below $2.00. On a monthly basis, I buy the unlimited text and 500mg data monthly plan for $5 (no taxes). If you manually renew the plan one day before the plan month ends, any unused data is rolled over to the next month. If you need more data 1gb is $6.

I haven't spent my original $20 yet so my monthly cost is $5.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

epictetus wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:52 pm Tracfone with the 365 day plan is worth considering
+1
The minutes don't expire, they roll over to the new year. I bought a 4G-LTE Android phone and they transferred the minutes and remaining time from my old 3G phone to the new one.
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
yohac

Post by yohac »

Textnow is free, ad-supported. From what I hear though, not terribly reliable. But you did ask for the cheapest.
celia

Post by celia »

If you are on Medicaid, you can often get FREE service, but only for one person per household.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

GeMoney wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:01 pm Check out Tello https://tello.com/
I do a hybrid. I use the pay as you go talk which is $.01/minute. You need to start with a $20 (before taxes) prepaid purchase but afterwards you can have it auto top up for $10 when the balance falls below $2.00. On a monthly basis, I buy the unlimited text and 500mg data monthly plan for $5 (no taxes). If you manually renew the plan one day before the plan month ends, any unused data is rolled over to the next month. If you need more data 1gb is $6.

Will the $20 credit expire? The website seems to say it expires after 90 days.
My signature has been deleted.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

indexfundfan wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:17 pm

Yes it will expire in 90 days if no other purchase is made but if you have a monthly (30 days) plans as I outline, the balance is maintained.
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

GeMoney wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:42 am

Yes it will expire in 90 days if no other purchase is made but if you have a monthly (30 days) plans as I outline, the balance is maintained.
Thank you. I'm going to give the $5 Tello plan (plus a $20 prepaid purchase) a try when the one-year Red Pocket $60 plan expires. I like the flexibility of being able to change plans mid-term and the unlimited 2G data.
My signature has been deleted.
Topic Author
creant

Post by creant »

Got the cheapest Red Pocket plan for an infrequently used phone. Works fine except for lots of spam.

Decided to go with Mint for a second phone that is used more regularly.
Last edited by creant on Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

I have had red pocket for two years and I have no complaints. I think you are experiencing an aberration.
nps

Post by nps »

H2O Wireless (AT&T MVNO) is cheaper for your needs. Lightest plan is $9 every three months (auto-pay). They charge 5¢ per minute/per text.
K72

Post by K72 »

nps wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:28 am H2O Wireless (AT&T MVNO) is cheaper for your needs. Lightest plan is $9 every three months (auto-pay). They charge 5¢ per minute/per text.
Looking for this kind of price ($9 every 3 months) but for Verizon network. Looked high and low w/o success. Anybody know of such a plan?
All we want are the facts...
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

K72 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:30 pm
nps wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:28 am H2O Wireless (AT&T MVNO) is cheaper for your needs. Lightest plan is $9 every three months (auto-pay). They charge 5¢ per minute/per text.
Looking for this kind of price ($9 every 3 months) but for Verizon network. Looked high and low w/o success. Anybody know of such a plan?
pagepluscellular.com offers a pay-as-you go plan...$10 refill every 90 days (not 3 months) or $80 for a year's expiry.

I use callingmart.com for refill PINs & reload manually.

but you can also setup auto-pay at callingmart where a $10 Page Plus PIN is applied directly to your phone every 90 days.
K72

Post by K72 »

ncbill wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:39 am pagepluscellular.com offers a pay-as-you go plan...$10 refill every 90 days (not 3 months) or $80 for a year's expiry.

but you can also setup auto-pay at callingmart where a $10 Page Plus PIN is applied directly to your phone every 90 days.
Perfect, thank you very much!
All we want are the facts...
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

[duplicate]
Last edited by MrJones on Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

ncbill wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:39 am pagepluscellular.com offers a pay-as-you go plan...$10 refill every 90 days (not 3 months) or $80 for a year's expiry.

I don't understand how this works. I pay $10 total, and if I make less than 166mins of voice calls in 90 days, I'm good, and have an option to extend that another 90 days with another $10? The site says I need to have bought a "Pay-As-You-Go plan PIN" What does this mean?

To start using a the $10 Standard PIN (even if you are a current Page Plus customer on a different plan), you will need to already be subscribed to a current monthly plan or have purchased a Pay-As-You-Go plan PIN. You can use a $10 Standard PIN to add minutes to any of our monthly plans.

Thank you!
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

MrJones wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:10 am

I don't understand how this works. I pay $10 total, and if I make less than 166mins of voice calls in 90 days, I'm good, and have an option to extend that another 90 days with another $10? The site says I need to have bought a "Pay-As-You-Go plan PIN" What does this mean?

To start using a the $10 Standard PIN (even if you are a current Page Plus customer on a different plan), you will need to already be subscribed to a current monthly plan or have purchased a Pay-As-You-Go plan PIN. You can use a $10 Standard PIN to add minutes to any of our monthly plans.

Thank you!
Actually I was wrong...$10 refill is good for 120 days (but not 4 months) on the pay-as-you-go plan.

Yes, you buy another $10 pay-as-you go PIN to extend for another 120 days.

At callingmart dot com you can have the PIN loaded onto the phone and can set it up to load automatically a new $10 PIN every 120 days.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Cheapest "per minute" depends on how many minutes you need/use.
The plan I'm on provides unlimited voice, text, and 1gb of data each month for $100 a year if you pre-pay for a year
https://libertywireless.com/
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Abe

Post by Abe »

DavidC wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:53 pm
Abe wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:00 pm
creant wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 pm I believe AT&T has a prepaid plan that costs $100 for 1000 minutes/texts and expires in 1 year. This is $8.33/mo.
I have this plan. It's $100 for 1000 minutes (.10c per minute) for voice and it's 20 cents each I believe for text messages. I very seldom do text.
Edit: it turns out the 10c, 15c, and even the 25c per minute plans from AT&T prepaid are no longer available.
Yes, they have gone up to 35c per minute now.
Slow and steady wins the race.
linate

Post by linate »

it looks like u have plenty of options here, but there's also US Mobile. they use the verizon network, and for seven dollars a month u get 2500 minutes and 2500 texts. it's not much more for unlimited call and text as long as there isn't much data involved. verizon network is probably the best, plus u get more than just meager amount of minutes per month.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

ncbill wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:15 am Actually I was wrong...$10 refill is good for 120 days (but not 4 months) on the pay-as-you-go plan.

At callingmart dot com you can have the PIN loaded onto the phone and can set it up to load automatically a new $10 PIN every 120 days.
I see that, but how does one get on the Pay-As-You-Go plan? The above just seems to be the refill part according to the website. Thanks.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

MrJones wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:37 pm
ncbill wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:15 am Actually I was wrong...$10 refill is good for 120 days (but not 4 months) on the pay-as-you-go plan.

I see that, but how does one get on the Pay-As-You-Go plan? The above just seems to be the refill part according to the website. Thanks.
Start here:

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/activate/
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

MrJones wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:37 pm

Start here, pick a pay-as-you go (not a monthly) plan:

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/activate/
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

Ah okay, good to know, thanks much!
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

I have the same questions as the OP and Red Rocket looks pretty good to me for my unlocked iPhone SE. Does anyone out there have an even better deal or is that it?
UNCHEEL

Post by UNCHEEL »

I get unlimited calling for $14/month (and no taxes or fees) through my cable company (Spectrum). However, it requires that you are also a cable or internet customer. I don't use cable, but ince they are the monopoly on internet service in my area, I qualify. If 5G arrives, the equation might change.
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

vbdoug wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:54 pm I have the same questions as the OP and Red Rocket looks pretty good to me for my unlocked iPhone SE. Does anyone out there have an even better deal or is that it?
This site will tell you what's cheapest based on your entered criteria: https://prepaidcompare.net/
Sleepless

Post by Sleepless »

GeMoney wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:42 am

The Tello website also mentions they support WiFi Calling. That's an awesome feature.
Did you have a chance to try it out?
I was tired yesterday and I'm tired again today. I'm retired.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

I went with red rocket. 100 minutes of phone minutes and 100 texts and some data. So far all free. The first chip would not work but the second one did. And so far all good.