Dog bed recommendations (durable and chew-resistant)?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Dog bed recommendations (durable and chew-resistant)?

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Hello BH's:

I have a large dog (over 100 lbs) who loves to make "nests" in his dog bed, with some light chewing, biting and some tearing along the way. He has ruined 2 dog beds so far; I am trying to find one that will last a while but is comfortable.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a durable dog bed that is resistant to chewing and biting?

I saw one on Orvis but it is pricey for the XL size at $375. Costco dog beds are either not large enough (need XL) or have mixed reviews.

I'm not interested in one of the elevated beds with steel legs they use at dog kennels since I'm sure he wouldn't like it (no cushioning; e.g. Coolaroo brand.)

Thanks in advance!
mw1739

Re: Dog bed recommendations (durable and chew-resistant)?

Post by mw1739 »

Can’t offer much help since we have resorted to the elevated type beds, but can vouch for the Orvis chew warranty. They replaced the bed several times no questions asked before I got tired of it and asked for a refund.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

mw1739 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:14 pm Can’t offer much help since we have resorted to the elevated type beds, but can vouch for the Orvis chew warranty. They replaced the bed several times no questions asked before I got tired of it and asked for a refund.
Thanks. Good to know about the Orvis warranty.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

Try Gorilla Beds or k-9 ballistics.

Good beds are expensive. At the very least find one where you can tie down the corners and sides to the crate. That way the dogs have a harder time pulling.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

K9 Ballistics is what we've found that our chewers can't (or won't) penetrate. Very durable. Smaller dogs than yours though.

A little pricey, but the biggest downside is a far too audible scratching sound when there is signficant movement on the mattress. We've learned to live with that, but I sure wish these things were muffled somehow. Our two dogs seem comfortable on them.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

alex_686 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:24 pm Try Gorilla Beds or k-9 ballistics.

Good beds are expensive. At the very least find one where you can tie down the corners and sides to the crate. That way the dogs have a harder time pulling.
Thanks! I'll check those out. He does not use a crate FWIW.
kjsammy

Post by kjsammy »

Find some heavy duty canvas or similar and have someone sew a large pillow case for the bed you have?
Sewing a diagonal line near the corners will accommodate the thickness of the bed.
(Thinking of my grandfather's decades old hammock. Think it was from the navy. Indestructible. Bet someone tossed it because it was old.)

Upholstery fabric is not good enough, it can be chewed up. A cat can tear it up easily.

Have read that the Casper dog bed is the 'best' but it probably won't survive chewing.

K
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:26 pm K9 Ballistics is what we've found that our chewers can't (or won't) penetrate. Very durable. Smaller dogs than yours though.

A little pricey, but the biggest downside is a far too audible scratching sound when there is signficant movement on the mattress. We've learned to live with that, but I sure wish these things were muffled somehow. Our two dogs seem comfortable on them.
Thanks. Good info for this brand. I could probably live with the sound since he only "nests" once in a while LOL. :happy
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

kjsammy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:31 pm Find some heavy duty canvas or similar and have someone sew a large pillow case for the bed you have?
Sewing a diagonal line near the corners will accommodate the thickness of the bed.
(Thinking of my grandfather's decades old hammock. Think it was from the navy. Indestructible. Bet someone tossed it because it was old.)

Upholstery fabric is not good enough, it can be chewed up. A cat can tear it up easily.

Have read that the Casper dog bed is the 'best' but it probably won't survive chewing.

K
Thanks. The current torn-up bed is too ruined even for a new cover but the idea may work for others. I do like how the Casper dog bed looks. Will have to research that one a little more.
dogbones

Post by dogbones »

Carhartt durable duck canvas
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

No sure how chew-resistant, but the BigBarker bed we bought our Golden Retriever has been worth every penny we spent (bought over 5 years ago and has held up). We are in the process of remodeling our house and will be buying the grey cover soon to match our new furniture.Our dog loves it!
Great company!
https://bigbarker.com/

We bought our dog the Extra Large bed with the pillow built in at one of the ends. He is a bigger dog and loves the space. The only dog bed I will buy.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

dogbones wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:54 pm Carhartt durable duck canvas
Thanks. I'll check it out.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

change your profile pic, tired of the C.A.T.

want to see the D.A.W.G ;-)
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

MortgageOnBlack wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:11 pm No sure how chew-resistant, but the BigBarker bed we bought our Golden Retriever has been worth every penny we spent (bought over 5 years ago and has held up). We are in the process of remodeling our house and will be buying the grey cover soon to match our new furniture.Our dog loves it!
Great company!
https://bigbarker.com/

We bought our dog the Extra Large bed with the pillow built in at one of the ends. He is a bigger dog and loves the space. The only dog bed I will buy.
Thanks! I'll check this out; haven't heard of the company before.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

f35phixer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:58 pm change your profile pic, tired of the C.A.T.

want to see the D.A.W.G ;-)
LOL :beer
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

https://kuranda.com The kuranda beds are what we have used for 4 dogs so far. It was recommended by a the pet store after telling them a story of our English bulldog destroying her beds similar to yours. Most of the local dog shelters also use the kuranda. It's like a sturdy cot, and our dogs willingly chose to sleep on it. Image
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

BruinBones wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:01 pm https://kuranda.com The kuranda beds are what we have used for 4 dogs so far. It was recommended by a the pet store after telling them a story of our English bulldog destroying her beds similar to yours. Most of the local dog shelters also use the kuranda. It's like a sturdy cot, and our dogs willingly chose to sleep on it. Image
Thanks, but I doubt my dog would use those elevated beds. He likes the ones with more cushioning. I have seen them in dog kennels though so know they are durable.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Big barker has held up well for our 100 pound Dane.

He did destroy one big barker bed when he realized we were moving to a new house.

You could also consider a toddler mattress with a durable cover.
Mid-40’s
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

mortfree wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:24 pm Big barker has held up well for our 100 pound Dane.

He did destroy one big barker bed when he realized we were moving to a new house.

You could also consider a toddler mattress with a durable cover.
Thanks. Someone upthread also mentioned Big Barker. I was impressed by their 10-year warranty and 1-year trial when checking them out earlier.