Men’s Metal Wallets

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
HotRod140

Men’s Metal Wallets

Post by HotRod140 »

Hi Everyone,
Has anyone bought and or used those metal minimalist type wallets? I see the Ridge brand seems to be a big seller. Just looking around the internet, there seems to be a slew of off brands much cheaper. Just wondering if anyone has one. Thanks
Tinkerer-in-Chief

Re: Men’s Metal Wallets

Post by Tinkerer-in-Chief »

Do you mean accordion style? Or one of the ones that’s sort of like a fancy money clip for cards?
This space intentionally left blank.
hayesfj

Post by hayesfj »

I have carried one for five or more years. One side holds about six credit/id cards, and the other side holds currency. I find it much more comfortable than a big leather wallet. This was a cheap one from Amazon and it has held up well.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

I have one from https://secrid.com
Really like it.
Of course I have not used any cash in the USA in almost 3 years.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

HotRod140 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:03 am Hi Everyone,
Has anyone bought and or used those metal minimalist type wallets? I see the Ridge brand seems to be a big seller. Just looking around the internet, there seems to be a slew of off brands much cheaper. Just wondering if anyone has one. Thanks
have the ridge love it, game changer for me I dont carry around ten tons of wallet
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

I have used a minimalist front pocket wallet from Bryker Hyde for about 5 years. Love it!
https://brykerhyde.com/
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Mine is Carbon Fiber rather than metal (though they do offer metal variants also), but I have been carrying my Aviator Slide for about a year and a half, and love it. My retired leather wallet lives on my dresser with the cards I don't actually need to carry.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

I bought this style wallet last year to get myself out of the overstuffed wallet syndrome. If purchased this one from Amazon after exploring a myriad of options. It works very well. Paid $29.95. It’s now $22.95. I would buy it again.

https://www.amazon.com/RFID-Carbon-Fibe ... r=8-5&th=1

Cheers
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:18 am Mine is Carbon Fiber rather than metal (though they do offer metal variants also), but I have been carrying my Aviator Slide for about a year and a half, and love it. My retired leather wallet lives on my dresser with the cards I don't actually need to carry.
That doesn't look like it would be comfortable to sit on in a back packet, nor comfortable bend over if it's in your front. How does it feel day to day? I'm a back pocket guy and use a relatively slim leather bifold.
Topic Author
HotRod140

Post by HotRod140 »

Im sorry, guess, I didn’t mean metal. The carbon fiber units
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:30 am
lazydavid wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:18 am Mine is Carbon Fiber rather than metal (though they do offer metal variants also), but I have been carrying my Aviator Slide for about a year and a half, and love it. My retired leather wallet lives on my dresser with the cards I don't actually need to carry.
That doesn't look like it would be comfortable to sit on in a back packet, nor comfortable bend over if it's in your front. How does it feel day to day? I'm a back pocket guy and use a relatively slim leather bifold.
I was a back-pocket guy for 30 years, but you are right that is not where this (or any of these types of wallets) belongs. I carry it in my front right pocket, where it is basically unnoticeable.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I’ve used a “Rocco” for probably six or seven years. It’s the size of a credit card. Sitting on a wallet hurts my back after a while and having a big bulge in my front suit pants pocket looks funny. This wallet solved both problems. I assumed it was metal, but maybe it’s not. If you can’t squat with a credit card in your front pocket, more power to ya!

JT
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

HotRod140 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:03 am Hi Everyone,
I use this one: https://secrid.com/en-us/shop/miniwallet/

Best wallet I've ever owned. With a flick my 6 most used cards pop up for easy access - credit, debit, health insurance. Then you can open it up to slide in a small amount of cash plus 2-4 more cards. It's not bulky so fits in my pocket well. It can't be scanned by others. Have owned it for 3+ years and still super durable. The ONLY issue I've experienced is over time the 6 cards in the flick section get a little loose...but the solution is to bend one of the cards a bit (I bend my health insurance card because I don't need to swipe it like credit or debit) and that will increase the tension/friction on the other cards and they'll hold just fine. Nothing has ever fallen out of mine.
Captain_Video

Post by Captain_Video »

NOMATIC makes a nice minimalist wallet :https://www.nomatic.com/products/wallet
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

I've been using a pair of these for 20+ years. One holds my license & credit cards and another holds my cash. They live in my front pocket so I'm not sitting on them and won't get pickpocketed when I travel.

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

I tried one of those and didn't like it. I thought it was too hard to access my cards and cash, and I really didn't like the rigid feeling. I went with a leather minimalist wallet that I can carry in my front pocket. "Travelambo"
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

I just bought myself a ridge over Thanksgiving so have not had it very long. I really do like it. I love the smaller size and it's really not bad to get cards out. I generally carry zero cash so never have to worry about that. Carry in my front pocket.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I've had this minimalist wallet for 5 years. My all time favorite. It is stretchy so very easy to get cards out without pulling them all out. I keep credit cards on one side and ID, gym, Costco, etc. cards on the other side. I find most wallets too hard to find and get out the card you need. I carry about 10 cards and usually keep a $50 or $100 folded bill in there.

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Wallet- ... 3523&psc=1
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I’ve used one for several years and like it a lot. Being a boglehead I went for the $20 or so ridge knockoffs. For those that have the actual ridge, is it really $65 better?
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

mhalley wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:31 pm I’ve used one for several years and like it a lot. Being a boglehead I went for the $20 or so ridge knockoffs. For those that have the actual ridge, is it really $65 better?
Not sure if it's $65 better, but I do really like my Ridge quite a bit. I've never tried another brand. I've had my Ridge for 2 or 3 years now.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

op

I have the Columbia wallet, I've been using for several years it is made out of aluminum and RFID.

The plastic sleeves did not outlive the outside, but I am too LBYM to buy a new one.

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-columbi ... 1CO30.html currently $14.40
kfindley79

Post by kfindley79 »

+1 for the Ridge. Very minimalistic. Durable and contents stay put.
Ripcord

Post by Ripcord »

I checked out the Ridge at a local sporting goods store and it was nice. Not worth the price tag nice though. I bought this off Amazon and it's exactly the same fit and finish and quality as the Ridge wallet. Only exception is the the little thumb tab hole placement is in the middle not the side. Otherwise exactly the same.

Slim Wallet for Men RFID Blocking Aluminum Wallet Carbon Fiber Card Case Metal Wallet Minimalist Front Pocket Card Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GLNMGNV/re ... UTF8&psc=1
Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 »

Trayvax: www.trayvax.com I have the Trayvax original 2.0 and the Axis. I carry the Axis most frequently.
joetheo

Post by joetheo »

My fat wallet came with a "slim wallet" insert that had an ID slot. I ended up just using that as my full wallet. I thought it was just going to last a couple weeks... That was maybe 8 years ago. I'm probably due for a purpose designed slim wallet.
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

yolli71 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:47 pm
mhalley wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:31 pm I’ve used one for several years and like it a lot. Being a boglehead I went for the $20 or so ridge knockoffs. For those that have the actual ridge, is it really $65 better?
Not sure if it's $65 better, but I do really like my Ridge quite a bit. I've never tried another brand. I've had my Ridge for 2 or 3 years now.
Same. My thought process was let's assume its' slightly less quality and thus have to replace it again in several years. Now I've bought two when I could have bought the quality ridge upfront knowing it would last. I even purchased the titanium vs. aluminum ridge for a little extra durability. Can't really say whether extra cost is "worth it" but I also looked at it as treating myself to something nice. I really do like it.