What are your travel plans in 2021 and beyond?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JonnyDVM

Re: Vacations Plans?

Post by JonnyDVM »

GerryL wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:03 pm
novemberrain wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:14 pm Driving out 3-4 hour radius.

Horrendous prices at hotels though. I feel hotel prices have become 2X or 4X from pre-covid times.
Air fares, too. My usual nonstop to SoCal (John Wayne) is double what I am used to paying a week before Thanksgiving. Chose 1-stop flights that are not quite as bad. But I keep getting emails about great fares ... starting in September.
I’m probably over doing it with bookings. Yes, post COVID travel inflation is very real. Hotels and flights alike. I was looking at flights to Vegas from ATL for the fall and they were $800. $800???? To fly to VEGAS??? How?
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Most, if not all, of the EU is opening this summer to those who have been vaccinated, if that helps any.
When we booked flights to Europe they seemed comparatively cheap vs. previous years. But that was in early May when it was still questionable what the rules would be....perhaps they were trying to fill empty planes back then. I don't know about now.

When we flew from NYC to Tampa a few weeks ago the airfares were quite high.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: What are your travel plans in 2021 and beyond?

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged tomsense76's thread into a similar discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:55 pm Heading to a higher elevation where temps will be in the 90s, not 115. 1.5 hour drive.

Nice little cabin by a river for 7 nights.

Hoping for no forest fires though.

Cheap vacation, we booked before everyone started raising prices.
Well, never mind these plans. Looks like a new forest fire has cancelled these plans for mid-next week. Ugh.

Who needs vacations or travel anyways, haha.
novillero

Post by novillero »

Algarve Portugal for almost all of July; working remotely half the time; looking at tickets for a long weekend in Paris, but flexible on where to go.

The Algarve is usually jam packed with Brits this time of year, but the UK changed up its travel restrictions, so I do not expect it to be too crowded. Mask requirement for Portugal is everywhere unless when outside you can socially distance safely - even expected to wear a mask walking on the beach unless at your towel/chair (not sure how that works in the water! Lol)
vinhodoporto

Post by vinhodoporto »

I’m going backpacking in New Mexico with one teenager and their Boy Scout troop

While we’re gone my spouse is taking another to Key West for a long weekend

France this summer - not a vacation for me but bringing the family so it will be for them (mostly)

Beach house for a week in August with extended family. I’ll be working remotely from there

Probably Florida at some point this fall for a long weekend. Likely added on to the end of one of my work trips

Haven’t decided on Christmas but considering SW US, Hawaii, or possibly Puerto Rico or USVI

For reference:
I’ve been traveling domestically for work at least once per month since the start of the year. Family hasn’t traveled since Feb ‘20. Everyone is fully vaccinated and generally healthy

The above is pretty similar to our pre-COVID travel patterns except we’re planning on holding off on doing any exotic international travel until end of 2022
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

Delta just cancelled our flight to Portugal for late July. :(
We plan. G-d laughs.
Eagle_

Post by Eagle_ »

None. The only plan I have is to garden, sit and watch sunset, drinking something good. Covid and public health has turned me off big time. No travel for me in the next 2 years.
From the Pacific Northwest.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

We are planning to drive the entire 469 miles of Blue Ridge Parkway in middle October.

We plan to stay the first night in Afton, Virginia, the second night in Fancy Cap, Virginia, and the third night in Cherokee, North Carolina. The main purpose is to see the colors of the leaves and the mountains, maybe do a few hikings.

Has anyone done this before? Currently we are planning to go in the week of October 16. Would it be better if we go in the week of October 23, for better color leaves?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

flyingaway wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:59 pm We are planning to drive the entire 469 miles of Blue Ridge Parkway in middle October.

We plan to stay the first night in Afton, Virginia, the second night in Fancy Cap, Virginia, and the third night in Cherokee, North Carolina. The main purpose is to see the colors of the leaves and the mountains, maybe do a few hikings.

Has anyone done this before? Currently we are planning to go in the week of October 16. Would it be better if we go in the week of October 23, for better color leaves?
https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/

The map is interactive, so you can change the date and see how the foliage changes.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:04 pm
flyingaway wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:59 pm We are planning to drive the entire 469 miles of Blue Ridge Parkway in middle October.

https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/

The map is interactive, so you can change the date and see how the foliage changes.
Thank you very much. That is a very helpful map. I think we will go in the week of October 16.
Last edited by flyingaway on Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

We did this two years ago, in early November. We got to see quite a bit of peak color, since the parkway has different elevations. Some of the highest elevations were past peak when we went. There are several blogs that keep up with the peak color prediction timing, as the color differs every year.

https://blueridgemountainlife.com/fall-foliage/
https://www.romanticasheville.com/fall.htm
https://www.exploreasheville.com/trip-i ... or-report/

We've been to the area several times and are familiar with waterfalls and sights. Not to be missed:

https://www.romanticasheville.com/wisemans-view
https://www.romanticasheville.com/linville_falls.htm

You may want to add another day to your schedule, as there's lots to do and you DON'T want to be in a hurry. The Blue Ridge Parkway is, IMO, one of the two most stunning drives on the North American Continent. The other is Big Sur.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

My experience in driving the BRP & Skyline Drive during October several years ago leads me to recommend strongly that you avoid driving as much as possible on the weekends.
Faisal

Post by Faisal »

Curaçao in Spring 2022.
Home in Summer 2022.
California in Summer/fall 2022.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:38 pm My experience in driving the BRP & Skyline Drive during October several years ago leads me to recommend strongly that you avoid driving as much as possible on the weekends.
Too many people on the road?
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

flyingaway wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:58 am
Doom&Gloom wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:38 pm My experience in driving the BRP & Skyline Drive during October several years ago leads me to recommend strongly that you avoid driving as much as possible on the weekends.
Too many people on the road?
Yes. Everyone wants to see the leaves at peak color. That's certainly what we were trying to do.

We were pleasantly surprised to find that mid-week the only real traffic we hit on the Parkway was 30-45 minutes either side of Asheville.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

right now - Italy
November ‘21 - Brazil
Winter ‘22 - Cancun
September ‘22 - Basque country
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

We are hoping to go to a medical conference, MD appt and see family in May 2022, all around SF. It will be our 1st trip since 2019!
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

Not sure if it will happen but I would like to:
Take the kids on a road trip to the grand canyon
Visit Russia...
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Sicily and Sardinia, Zurich and Vevey. Not sure when though. 😢
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

DW and I are taking 92yo Dad on a bus tour for a week through the national parks around Moab and the Grand Canyon, next month. He glanced at the Grand Canyon once as a kid and had military training briefly in Wyoming in his late teens, but otherwise he's never traveled through the western US. Crowds should be thinned out and vaccines are required. The downside is it's after the change back to EST. I'm hoping the day starts early so we have enough sunlight to see things.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:43 am Sicily and Sardinia, Zurich and Vevey. Not sure when though. 😢
It makes me smile to see Vevey appear on a thread like this. Most Americans, and probably most Europeans outside Switzerland, have never even heard of Vevey despite it being in the most beautiful part of the shoreline of Lake Geneva.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:52 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:43 am Sicily and Sardinia, Zurich and Vevey. Not sure when though. 😢
It makes me smile to see Vevey appear on a thread like this. Most Americans, and probably most Europeans outside Switzerland, have never even heard of Vevey despite it being in the most beautiful part of the shoreline of Lake Geneva.
sssshhhh!! 😂
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

but seriously, given its proximity to much more famous Montreux, with its excellent spas and entertainment, I think tourists in the area just go there. But the view of the alps by Evian les Bains from Vevey is arguably better, it’s more serene and has an illustrious literary history.

(not too many Americans apparently have heard of the singer Annett Louisan either, the inspiration for my BH moniker)
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:27 pm
but seriously, given its proximity to much more famous Montreux, with its excellent spas and entertainment, I think tourists in the area just go there. But the view of the alps by Evian les Bains from Vevey is arguably better, it’s more serene and has an illustrious literary history.

(not too many Americans apparently have heard of the singer Annett Louisan either, the inspiration for my BH moniker)
The Swiss Riviera.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:37 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:27 pm

The Swiss Riviera.
Yep- Canton de Vaud. 🌞
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Puerto Rico today.

Arizona in two weeks.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

DW and I have travel plans for the next 2 years. Next year we have a cruise to the Baltic and a Mediterranean cruise, plus 2 long distance driving trips (over 3,000 miles). In 2023 we have an Egypt river cruise, a Scandinavian ocean cruise and a 3 week river cruise in Europe planned. All cruises are booked. Planning one or 2 other cruises in 2023. Plus we go to Maui every year for 2 weeks and take shorter driving trips. We are 70 and 73. Of course all travel assumes no Covid restrictions.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Just finished our 4 day road trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway. First day (last Friday) was getting to Afton, VA, and drove from the South Entrance of the Shenanadoah National Park to the Visitor Center in the middle on the Skyline Drive, the leaves of the tree was not in full colors, probably a few day to early. But the sunset was beautiful.
The morning of the 2nd day started with a breathtaking sunrise at the Afton Overlook and hiked the Humpback Rocks trail, which was worth it. Since we did road trip from most part of the Blue Ridge Parkway and the rains started, we skipped a portion of it and drove to the Bowing Rock.
The high lights of the 3rd day were Linn Cove Viaduct and Linville Falls. We hiked both trials at Linville Fall. The short one to the Linville Gorge was challenging, but the reward was great. We also spent some time at Little Switzerland. The time for the tree leaf color was right between the section of Blowing and Ashville.
The 4th day was wasted in Cherokee. We got a flat tire on our way home in the late afternoon and was fortunate to get a replacement at 6:00PM at a Walmart Autocare Center in Tennessee before they closed their door for the day.
It was an exhausting drive. I think we need a full 3 to 4 days to drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway to enjoy everything.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

spammagnet wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:43 pm DW and I are taking 92yo Dad on a bus tour for a week through the national parks around Moab and the Grand Canyon, next month. He glanced at the Grand Canyon once as a kid and had military training briefly in Wyoming in his late teens, but otherwise he's never traveled through the western US. Crowds should be thinned out and vaccines are required. The downside is it's after the change back to EST. I'm hoping the day starts early so we have enough sunlight to see things.
We visited several Utah national parks in May, I liked the Arches National Park.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

flyingaway wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:45 am Just finished our 4 day road trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway. First day (last Friday) was getting to Afton, VA, and drove from the South Entrance of the Shenanadoah National Park to the Visitor Center in the middle on the Skyline Drive, the leaves of the tree was not in full colors, probably a few day to early. But the sunset was beautiful.
The morning of the 2nd day started with a breathtaking sunrise at the Afton Overlook and hiked the Humpback Rocks trail, which was worth it. Since we did road trip from most part of the Blue Ridge Parkway and the rains started, we skipped a portion of it and drove to the Bowing Rock.
The high lights of the 3rd day were Linn Cove Viaduct and Linville Falls. We hiked both trials at Linville Fall. The short one to the Linville Gorge was challenging, but the reward was great. We also spent some time at Little Switzerland. The time for the tree leaf color was right between the section of Blowing and Ashville.
The 4th day was wasted in Cherokee. We got a flat tire on our way home in the late afternoon and was fortunate to get a replacement at 6:00PM at a Walmart Autocare Center in Tennessee before they closed their door for the day.
It was an exhausting drive. I think we need a full 3 to 4 days to drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway to enjoy everything.
Don't think of the time in Cherokee as wasted, think of it as "now we know what NOT to do next time we do the BRP." Now that you have an idea of time, distance, sights, etc. you can do a much better job of planning the next trip, and the next, and the next.

Glad you did Linville Falls. It is always a highlight every time we go. There are several other waterfalls along the drive that are considered "moderate" hikes, and are almost as picturesque as Linville. I like to use AllTrails to get an idea of what trails look like - they have pics and maps.

We stayed at Little Switzerland once, and would go back. Two decent restaurants, a comfortable room with a balcony, and a place to watch the sunset with a gas heated rockpile.

We've also stayed at Pisgah Inn, and it's a treat. Food nothing to write home about, but the view from the restaurant's giant windows is something to see. With that kind of decor, a PB&J sandwich would be gourmet food.

A mid to late June trip along the parkway is, to me, more colorful than fall. If you can catch the Catawba Rhododendron bloom just right, it is spectacular at Craggy Gardens. We've been three times at about those dates, but hit the peak bloom only once.
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

I won't go anywhere that requires I wear a mask.

In the past six weeks I have been to:
Panama City Beach
Destin
Orlando
Miami
Key West

Great times
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

wabbott wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:46 pm
flyingaway wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:45 am Just finished our 4 day road trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway. First day (last Friday) was getting to Afton, VA, and drove from the South Entrance of the Shenanadoah National Park to the Visitor Center in the middle on the Skyline Drive, the leaves of the tree was not in full colors, probably a few day to early. But the sunset was beautiful.
Don't think of the time in Cherokee as wasted, think of it as "now we know what NOT to do next time we do the BRP." Now that you have an idea of time, distance, sights, etc. you can do a much better job of planning the next trip, and the next, and the next.

Glad you did Linville Falls. It is always a highlight every time we go. There are several other waterfalls along the drive that are considered "moderate" hikes, and are almost as picturesque as Linville. I like to use AllTrails to get an idea of what trails look like - they have pics and maps.

We stayed at Little Switzerland once, and would go back. Two decent restaurants, a comfortable room with a balcony, and a place to watch the sunset with a gas heated rockpile.

We've also stayed at Pisgah Inn, and it's a treat. Food nothing to write home about, but the view from the restaurant's giant windows is something to see. With that kind of decor, a PB&J sandwich would be gourmet food.

A mid to late June trip along the parkway is, to me, more colorful than fall. If you can catch the Catawba Rhododendron bloom just right, it is spectacular at Craggy Gardens. We've been three times at about those dates, but hit the peak bloom only once.
If we lived close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, we would do a lots of weekend hiking trips. Unfortunately, we are about 5 hour drive away from Asheville.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Gundy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:13 pm I won't go anywhere that requires I wear a mask.

In the past six weeks I have been to:
Panama City Beach
Destin
Orlando
Miami
Key West

Great times
Will be in Destin this time tomorrow for 3 days, then a week in PC Beach. McGuire's!!! Captain Anderson's!!!
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

Next month /Nov. Maui for Kite surfing /Golf , Jan. Skiing in Colorado /Utah . As the world opens Butan /Nepal trek then to Vietnam for kiting ,Maybe Japan for skiing
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

Not a thing any time soon. Too busy with work and not interested in jumping through all the COVID-related hoops.

Hoping to fly down to Cancun again in the Spring for a week when work calms down. Wife and son have been itching to go back. We'll see how expensive it is. Might have to wait it out even longer if it's ridiculous.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Driving only. No air flight. To family.

Tim
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

wabbott wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:46 pm Don't think of the time in Cherokee as wasted, think of it as "now we know what NOT to do next time we do the BRP." Now that you have an idea of time, distance, sights, etc. you can do a much better job of planning the next trip, and the next, and the next.

The view from the back of the Switzerland Inn is beautiful. They have chairs and fire pits there. If they light up the fire in the evening, that would be wonderful. My wife complained that we did not stay there.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I just booked two tickets to spend 6 days in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, in the middle of December.

This will be our first time in Puerto Vallarta, any tips will be greatly appreciated.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

flyingaway wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:16 am I just booked two tickets to spend 6 days in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, in the middle of December.

This will be our first time in Puerto Vallarta, any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Avoid street gang fire-fights.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

spammagnet wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:27 am
flyingaway wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:16 am I just booked two tickets to spend 6 days in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, in the middle of December.

Are you serious? Are there lots of street gang activities in Romantic Zone, Downtown area, and Hotel Zone of Puerto Vallarta? I think I read somewhere that Puerto Vallarta is a popular retirement place for American expats.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

flyingaway wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:31 am

Are you serious? Are there lots of street gang activities in Romantic Zone, Downtown area, and Hotel Zone of Puerto Vallarta? I think I read somewhere that Puerto Vallarta is a popular retirement place for American expats.
It was in jest but: "California Travel Blogger Among 2 Killed in Mexico's Tulum". I have no idea if or how that relates to your plans geographically.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

For me:

Sep 21: Awesome hiking on a couple of less visited Greek Islands. Just perfect to get away from it all.
Dec 21: French Polynesia. Booked some unicorn business class AF saver award seats this summer didn't think it was going to happen. A month or too later some unicorn award availability opened up at the Conrad Bora Bora so booked that (I suspect I'll be the only solo traveler in that place lol). Will spend time on Moorea and Tahiti in AirBnBs.
Feb 22: Spain and Andorra
April 22: Netherlands and TBD
June 22: Croatia and Slovenia

Basically Europe seemed the safest bet in 2022 and I had some vouchers I needed to use that were also only really useable to get to Europe.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

THY4373 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:38 am For me:

Sep 21: Awesome hiking on a couple of less visited Greek Islands. Just perfect to get away from it all.
Dec 21: French Polynesia. Booked some unicorn business class AF saver award seats this summer didn't think it was going to happen. A month or too later some unicorn award availability opened up at the Conrad Bora Bora so booked that (I suspect I'll be the only solo traveler in that place lol). Will spend time on Moorea and Tahiti in AirBnBs.

Basically Europe seemed the safest bet in 2022 and I had some vouchers I needed to use that were also only really useable to get to Europe.
Tahiti, Croatia, and Slovenia are certainly on my list of very near future travel plan.

Just to mention, a few years ago when I was in Andorra, my T-Mobile data plan did not work. So it is better to download the Google Map before going there.
Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

spammagnet wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:35 am
flyingaway wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:31 am

It was in jest but: "California Travel Blogger Among 2 Killed in Mexico's Tulum". I have no idea if or how that relates to your plans geographically.
Wow. That is right on time. Although Tulum is on the opposite side of the Mexico continent, of Puerto Vallarta, I think. But I did read the expanding gang problems there, and in Playa del Carmen, which is the place that I was originally considering to go.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Just back from a great week in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Hitting Key West early next year. Debating where to go for Fall of 2022, but I'll wait to see how things look to decide. I will not go anywhere that takes a lax attitude towards Covid. So far, looking into either Maine or Washington/Oregon.
My main goal is to go to Australia in 2023, a trip I had to postpone from first 2020, then again in 2021.
lws

Post by lws »

Domestic roaming in 2021.
Plan to visit the three Guiana's in 2022.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

flyingaway wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:05 pm
Just to mention, a few years ago when I was in Andorra, my T-Mobile data plan did not work. So it is better to download the Google Map before going there.
Thanks for the tip will make sure to do that in advance. I am on Google Fi and they claim coverage so hopefully it works but I'll download maps in advance. I had a similar issue with Monaco a few years back. Some places I'd get coverage from France or Italy but other places were dead zones.
Julie M Henderson

Post by Julie M Henderson »

Hopefully Thailand for a couple of months at the end of 2022.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

THY4373 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:38 am For me:

To update my post. Made it French Polynesia in December and had an awesome time, amazing place. Had to cancel my Feb trip (should have been there now) for Spain and Andorra. Things are looking up for Netherlands, Germany and Belgium in April and I assume the same for Croatia and Slovenia in June. Since I "lost" Spain I found some good awards availability to Israel in October so have a speculative trip booked there now.