What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Chip

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Chip »

neilpilot wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 pm Congratulations on that brake job. But if you were seriously frugal, you wouldn't have spent $15 on a piston compressor. In every case I've experienced so far, the brake piston can easily be compressed using a large c-clamp or even channel locks. Just place the old brake pad up against the piston and squeeze.
I just finished a full brake job on my Accord and am pretty sure I needed the specialty tool to rotate the rear caliper piston back into the bore. Unless I rigged up some kind of substitute. I did use an ordinary C clamp on the fronts.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Chip wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:45 pm
neilpilot wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 pm Congratulations on that brake job. But if you were seriously frugal, you wouldn't have spent $15 on a piston compressor. In every case I've experienced so far, the brake piston can easily be compressed using a large c-clamp or even channel locks. Just place the old brake pad up against the piston and squeeze.
I just finished a full brake job on my Accord and am pretty sure I needed the specialty tool to rotate the rear caliper piston back into the bore. Unless I rigged up some kind of substitute. I did use an ordinary C clamp on the fronts.
I'm sure you did, but don't you believe that's very different from the $15 spring compressor that vfinx purchased? You know, the standard spring compressor tool that does nothing that a large c-clamp or channel locks can accomplish.
Chip

Post by Chip »

neilpilot wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:08 pm I'm sure you did, but don't you believe that's very different from the $15 spring compressor that vfinx purchased? You know, the standard spring compressor tool that does nothing that a large c-clamp or channel locks can accomplish.
I thought that perhaps vfinx had misnamed that particular tool, since I've never even thought about buying something like that. Every shop manual I have suggests using a C clamp. :beer
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I have never (at least do not recall) posting my "frugal thing o'day" before, but here goes.

I took 3 big bags of yard waste to the compost site. These are the big bags (paper) one can purchase at the hardware or home improvement center, typically 3 for $2. I re-use these until ripped and torn beyond use. The county accumulates the yard waste and turns into compost which I use for gardening.

Anyway, the sign clearly states to dump your yard waste and do NOT leave the bags. There were several bags of yard waste which had been left behind. I dumped mine and decided to to dump the others. The bags were brand new (except for the waste held). Considered tossing them in the nearby dumpster, but took them home to reuse. Left home with 3 bags, returned with my 3 bags plus 4 more slightly used.

Ed
pepys

Post by pepys »

- Took a quick cool shower in the morning
- No breakfast, so I don't have to brush my teeth in the morning
- Walked to work in my old shoes (don't have a car)
- Drank the free work coffee/other drinks throughout the day (free calories)
- Found penny on the ground (yes!), highlight of the day
- Sat down as much as possible at work to conserve calories (and scooted in wheely chair if I needed to talk to someone nearby)
- Used bathroom at work before leaving
- Walked back home
- Kept air conditioning and lights off (unnecessary lavish expenses)
- Sat in my broken taped-up chair and ate rice and pinto beans for dinner
- Spent $2 on an amazon reload on a credit card for the small balance waiver
- Opened a new credit card to get the $200 bonus
- Dry oats/peanut butter for snack
- Early bed (lying down burns fewer calories)
- Opened up phone (minimum brightness, low power mode on) to set alarm and check bogleheads using my Spectrum Internet Assist internet
- Wrote up this comment with as few movements as possible
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

pepys wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:07 pm - Took a quick cool shower in the morning
- Sat down as much as possible at work to conserve calories (and scooted in wheely chair if I needed to talk to someone nearby)
- Walked back home
- Opened up phone (minimum brightness, low power mode on) to set alarm and check bogleheads using my Spectrum Internet Assist internet
:mrgreen:
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

Colorado Guy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:49 pm
vfinx wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:33 pm I replaced the brake pads and rotors on our family's car. I work at a desk all day so I find these kinds of tasks enjoyable. This was my first time, so it was fun to learn. Sadly, the only new tool that this provided an excuse to buy was a $15 piston compressor, which wasn't very cool. I really want a Milwaukee cordless ratchet but with only 16 bolts involved in this job, I could not justify it.
Your focus is too narrow. One brake job = 16 bolts, 10 brake jobs = 160 bolts! Think about it hard enough, and you may be able to justify a compressor and air tools! :D My son just came up to the house last weekend to change out his brakes, as I have the air tools. As an aside, I've only used a C-clamp and an old brake pad for piston compression, only because I already had a couple of clamps.
I'm pretty sure I would destroy something if I had air tools :) Actually, there is a stubborn crank bolt on my mountain bike that I haven't been able to undo even with a cheater bar, and I really want to get a massive impact wrench for it. So make that 161 bolts!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I did yoga at home instead of taking a class and having a gym membership.
BogleHead1008

Post by BogleHead1008 »

I bought iPhone 13 Pro max but I gave my iPhone 11 Pro Max to my wife and her phone iPhone X to our younger son.
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

We made more progress on renovating by hand a house built in 1888 — namely, tearing down lathe and plaster, then installing drywall while preserving a couple of interesting architectural features focused on early-last-century heating systems
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

pepys wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:07 pm - Took a quick cool shower in the morning
- Walked back home
Not to nitpick here... but you splurged with the shower. You could have just wet a wash cloth and rubbed down your body. That would save water expense.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

DW won one bushel of Paul Reds from local apple orchard ( new owners held an open house). She made "Home Made" apple sauce again..... NO sugar added. A few table spoons of cinnamon....that's it! Great stuff. She made a short road trip to MIL and kids to deliver to each a quart of this special sauce.......... :sharebeer
MichaelAZ

Post by MichaelAZ »

Cut my own hair and cleaned my own pool filters.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Couldn't sleep so decided to clean out a closet. Found gym pants and tee shirts (LXT's are hard to find sometimes) I had forgotten about that I had gotten too big for. I've lost so much weight they fit fine; I was planning to go to Dick's to buy new ones (Target and Walmart didn't have what I want). Now I don't need to do that.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Derpalator

Post by Derpalator »

Lalamimi wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:12 pm watched Dear Hubby change the oil in my 2007 Lexus, then he cleaned the gutters and fixed our 2000 Honda lawn mower with parts that arrived earlier. I weeded flower beds and feed the chickens (got 2 eggs for my trouble). Then cooked dinner using 2 chicken breast from Costco chicken package that was on sale for $5 off, and a jar of Masala from Aldi. Perfect rainy day.
This slice of life, as illustrated, spoke to me. DW and I live almost exactly the same. Good on you.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Derpalator wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:25 am
Lalamimi wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:12 pm watched Dear Hubby change the oil in my 2007 Lexus, then he cleaned the gutters and fixed our 2000 Honda lawn mower with parts that arrived earlier. I weeded flower beds and feed the chickens (got 2 eggs for my trouble). Then cooked dinner using 2 chicken breast from Costco chicken package that was on sale for $5 off, and a jar of Masala from Aldi. Perfect rainy day.
This slice of life, as illustrated, spoke to me. DW and I live almost exactly the same. Good on you.
DH turned 70 last week. Good to know we are not alone in this! He got the part to repair his almost 20 yr old power washer today. Life is good. I am hand scrapping the wax builtup on my wood floors.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Ate sardines for dinner out of the can 🤣

Listened to a free meditation podcast called The Way to Wellness with barbara newell

Did cardio at home to free music

made my own stovetop coffee
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

A few coworkers bought pricey tickets to a show for later this week. They asked me to get a ticket with them. I declined.

The irony is... I know their financial situations. They should not be splurging on this. I can afford to go... maybe because I'm generally more frugal than them?
tower

Post by tower »

When i was a kid, my dad had died and my grandfather took me aside and explained the art of toilet paper folding. you disattach several squares, fold, wipe, fold again, wipe, and discard. I love New England frugality.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Timely that I saw this thread today. I went on the NY Times website yesterday and got my Sunday delivery reduced from $10 a week to $5 for 24 weeks. I opened a chat window, said I wanted to cancel, and they offered me the lower price to stay and support them. I never really intended to cancel (my wife likes reading the physical paper), just wanted a lower price. I really wanted the discounted rate for a full year as they give new subscribers, but the guy said that they could not do that for current subscribers, but I could contact them again after the 24 weeks to get it again. We'll see how that works, since in the past they would not give you a promo right after one expired, but maybe things have changed.

Last week I went on the Gannett site and got my local paper subscription reduced from $40 to $24 per month for a full year without even having to speak/chat with anyone, just had to click on cancel and got the counter-offer. I really wanted to switch that one to Sunday-only as well, but my wife reads the paper, and it wasn't worth arguing over.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Yesterday and today I ate a bar for breakfast and a banana with peanut butter for lunch.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Got free education on this Bogleheads forum. 😆
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:53 pm Got free education on this Bogleheads forum. 😆
+1.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

Set-up a place to build a compost pile with all the leaves about to fall into my yard.
Tended to the cover crop I planted in my raised beds and containers.
Updated my price comparison chart for all our grocery staples.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

BogleHead1008 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:29 pm I bought iPhone 13 Pro max but I gave my iPhone 11 Pro Max to my wife and her phone iPhone X to our younger son.
What memory size did you opt for, the 1T?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I took an old-style tube TV to recycle at my local Best Buy. It used to be you could donate them for free at Goodwill but they won’t take them anymore. So you now have to take them to Best Buy or to a community recycling event and it’s not free, you have to pay money to have them take it off your hands. I fully expected to pay the $25 fee when what to my surprise he said the price is now $35! So I argued that it was outrageous to charge that much and I hadn’t expected such an increase, doing my best to look flummoxed. I was surprised when he relented and let me pay the lower $25 fee. So I made $10 today! A penny saved is a penny earned.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:46 pm I took an old-style tube TV to recycle at my local Best Buy. It used to be you could donate them for free at Goodwill but they won’t take them anymore. So you now have to take them to Best Buy or to a community recycling event and it’s not free, you have to pay money to have them take it off your hands. I fully expected to pay the $25 fee when what to my surprise he said the price is now $35! So I argued that it was outrageous to charge that much and I hadn’t expected such an increase, doing my best to look flummoxed. I was surprised when he relented and let me pay the lower $25 fee. So I made $10 today! A penny saved is a penny earned.
Does Staples also charge $25?

Edit -- never mind, I see that they do not accept televisions.
Last edited by MisterBill on Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

MisterBill wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:48 pm
Nicolas wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:46 pm I took an old-style tube TV to recycle at my local Best Buy. It used to be you could donate them for free at Goodwill but they won’t take them anymore. So you now have to take them to Best Buy or to a community recycling event and it’s not free, you have to pay money to have them take it off your hands. I fully expected to pay the $25 fee when what to my surprise he said the price is now $35! So I argued that it was outrageous to charge that much and I hadn’t expected such an increase, doing my best to look flummoxed. I was surprised when he relented and let me pay the lower $25 fee. So I made $10 today! A penny saved is a penny earned.
Does Staples also charge $25?
Televisions are a prohibited item for recycling at Staples —> https://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/noheade ... ectronics/
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:52 pm Televisions are a prohibited item for recycling at Staples —> https://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/noheade ... ectronics/
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted and updated my reply.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

BogleHead1008 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:29 pm I bought iPhone 13 Pro max but I gave my iPhone 11 Pro Max to my wife and her phone iPhone X to our younger son.
I just ordered my 13 pro max, for free!
Couldn't help myself, the only con is my network will switch from att to Verizon, this is with a work plan.

Oh yeah, and I picked up free coffee from Starbucks today. $$$
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Gooch1226

Post by Gooch1226 »

I cut my grass and put down fertilizer myself . Didn’t pay anyone to do it.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

For the next couple weeks I am living mainly on potatoes that I grew. They were started from a bag of supermarket ones and basically left alone, so the cost comes out to about 2 cents each. Savings: ~$100 compared to my normal grocery bill

I had my brake pads and rotors replaced at the corner mechanic which saved me hundreds over the price the dealership was quoting. Savings: ~$250

The heater stays off in September and October, I just wear warm clothing, drink hot beverages, and feel completely comfortable. Savings: ~$100

Currently I have 9 gallons of homemade wine going. It is made with peaches and berries that I grew. The taste is good and it comes out to about $1 per bottle. Savings: ~$300
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
BogleHead1008

Post by BogleHead1008 »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:35 pm
What memory size did you opt for, the 1T?
128 GB.. dont take too many pics, like the phone size for everything else....
Minty

Post by Minty »

Replaced a burned out turn signal bulb and inflated a semi-flat tire . . . definitely saved the cost of a garage visit and possibly avoided the cost of a mishap.
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15 -> R4 1.875% 15
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Watching “fast money “ talking heads for free on internet.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Yesterday I finished a small project that I started a ~year ago. (Learned from BHs a lot of the pieces-parts and resources I needed.)

Need. Low-cost smartphone, new home PC, and higher-speed internet connection for PC. (No other devices need internet data, nor plans to add them.)

Why? Old PC still worked with forum, but I got tired of the logistics of doing my taxes online at public library. And with missing pay phones and paper phone books, I needed a smartphone for: (1) roadside assistance, (2) directions, and (3) internet connection. I love it when something does double-duty.

Smartphone with hotspot. Looking for one-and-done solution so visited local AT&T store and asked about cheap unlocked phones with hotspot capability. They gave me a list and I bought an unlocked phone (Best Buy, Samsung A11, <$200). Then bought an AT&T prepaid plan ($40/mo, 15GB/20Mbps hotspot data shared with one device, data throttled to 2G (0.1 Mbps) once monthly HS data expended). Also bought vehicle charger and screen/case protectors (phone came with AC charger)---spend those distributions. :D

Home PC and internet connection. Searched locally-recommended sellers of refurbished office PCs. (Found a sole-proprietor whose knowledge/answers satisfied me.) Replaced '95 Dell desktop PC (P2, 64MB ram, 20GB HD, Win98SE, dialup) with refurbished Lenovo desktop PC (BH recommendation: I5, 16GB ram, 256GB SSD, Win10, 27" monitor, ~$500). Verified my new phone's hotspot worked in-store with new PC before buying/bringing it home. (As he also accepts electronics for recycling (small fee) so I’m slowly cleaning out old electronics, that were stuffed in closets, when I return to buy something else.)

I've used above solution for a ~year, and all should be well with the world. Close, but it's not perfect.

Data anxiety. Learned that Microsoft's media tool needs ~5GB to create a Win10 backup thumb drive---don't want to make monthly updates. Plus with the other interesting things I learn here (SDR--software defined radio to access WWV, BH investing videos,...) and personal interests (YouTube to learn to: adjust bike derailleurs, clean/oil/restore typewriter, DIY anvil from piece of railroad track,...),... I can quickly run out of monthly HS data.

Testing what works, what doesn’t?
--Intentionally burned all HS data to do my taxes (IRS free file: OLT option) from home this year using low-speed data; worked okay.
--Already knew BH forum would work okay from dialup days.
--Verified my phone's map directions work with low-speed data (just slowly, assumes downloaded map).
--YouTube doesn't work well (short video, lowest resolution, buffering,... watch after ~1hr download).
More data would be nice.

Visible solution? Searched (BH recommendation: Clark Howard cell phone plan advice) and this week, 2days before my AT&T plan renewed, I switched to a Visible prepaid ($40/mo, Verizon network, unlimited/5Mbps hotspot data shared with one device).

I followed Visible’s directions.
--At first of month, arranged AT&T switchover---talked to AT&T retention to get account#, setup password to signify I initiated switch.
--Completed Visible’s application online (AT&T account#/password).
--Received email notification that my phone number was "ready to transfer to Visible".
--Visible mailed new SIM.
--On switchover day, used public library wifi to download Visible app.
--Followed app switchover steps and it happened as stated. Took ~15mins to switchover to Visible service.

Visible app must remain on phone if an eSIM is used, but can be removed if a physical SIM is used. My SIM is physical so removed Visible app. Intent is to keep phone clean to minimize identity threat potential, and to manage Visible account from home PC. Worst case if phone lost: buy a new phone and reestablish Visible account.

Visible solution. So far so good. No longer need to stream YouTube at lowest resolution. My old Smith-Corona Galaxie II typewriter is restored and working as I remember from college. SDR radio streaming works [insert blues emoji].

We had some mountain snows and it has been cooler for the past few days. But today was warmer so trimmed bushes and pulled weeds. I'll adjust my bike's derailleurs later. Need to learn to clean my old vehicle's TPS (throttle position sensor).

Life's a little better and the $40/mo smartphone data plan fee is ~unchanged. :D
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

I let the rain wash our cars today. Does that count? We got 6 inches of rain for 3 hours. I guess that is free water for the lawn and garden too.
Time is the ultimate currency.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Worked out at home using a free workout video on youtube, made my own coffee using Pilon (excellent but very inexpensive) and lunch was tuna and beans. But I wasnt doing any of this for the purpose of saving money.
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

Surfing BH on 8+ YO Free desktop PC, resurrected with Linux Mint. For net surfing,it is all I need. Hooked to my sub-$400 55" TV. Gotta watch my expenses, if I am ever going to hop off the hamster wheel!
hmw

Post by hmw »

dratkinson wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:44 pm Yesterday I finished a small project that I started a ~year ago. (Learned from BHs a lot of the pieces-parts and resources I needed.)

Need. Low-cost smartphone, new home PC, and higher-speed internet connection for PC. (No other devices need internet data, nor plans to add them.)

We had some mountain snows and it has been cooler for the past few days. But today was warmer so trimmed bushes and pulled weeds. I'll adjust my bike's derailleurs later. Need to learn to clean my old vehicle's TPS (throttle position sensor).

Life's a little better and the $40/mo smartphone data plan fee is ~unchanged. :D
You should be able to reduce your visible bill to $25/month with party pay. That's what I am paying.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

cook at home instead eat out.
1moreyr

Post by 1moreyr »

Parked the motorcycle for the winter. Called USAA to put it in storage on the policy. Due to the umbrella policy they limit you from taking liability off the bike. Removed collision instead. Saved $18/month until May. I have a second motorcycle, that will come off in November for a similar savings. This assumes it gets too cold to ride in New England by then
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I used 1x shampoo and 1x conditioner instead of my usual 2x each. But it was to save time. Saving money was a bonus. I also got an additional $350 in my paycheck (and every paycheck going forward) for reducing my term life insurance coverage a few weeks ago. woo! I have no dependents.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Got takeout instead of eating out thus saving the cost of the tip and drinks!
Instead of buying a Kindle book I checked it out of my local public library.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vasu100

Post by vasu100 »

These days I tip on takeout. But save on drinks - good wine is in my wine cabinet already ,
Rudy Tooty

Post by Rudy Tooty »

Picked up an old custom-made round oak dining room table and 6 chairs for free from an neighborhood website. I'll sand, clean, stain and varnish all so it looks brand new. One wooden chair needs nails and a bracket.

After I picked up the table I cut and edged my lawn.

I grabbed a few cucumbers tomatoes from our plants out back and made a nice chicken salad w/ meat from a $4.99 Costco rotisserie chicken.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

hmw wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:33 am
dratkinson wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:44 pm Yesterday I finished a small project that I started a ~year ago. (Learned from BHs a lot of the pieces-parts and resources I needed.)

You should be able to reduce your visible bill to $25/month with party pay. That's what I am paying.
I enrolled in Visible during it Labor Day sale (2mos at $15/mo). I'll look into party pay. Should have remainder of 2mos to figure it out.

How did you find your Visible party?
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Pixafari

Post by Pixafari »

dratkinson wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:20 am How did you find your Visible party?
Search Reddit or Facebook for party pay groups.
Or just join group “YMCA” as we did - they have a few thousand members already.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

dratkinson wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:41 pm My To-Do list has been getting longer with added projects.

--I need to fix my shredder (it quit working).

Problem. My little Fellows Shredmate (paper shredder, ~$30, 10yrs ago) quite working.

Solution. Opened bottom and found plastic actuator had deformed slightly so no longer hitting thin metal arm of the limit switch that turned it on when paper is inserted. Bend metal arm to realign with plastic actuator.

Saved the cost of buying a new shredder.
I overloaded my shredder (~$80 new) and it started making a grinding/whining noise and wouldn't shred anymore. I took it apart and found the big white Delrin gear stripped. This model isn’t made anymore and no spare parts available. I found a used unit on eBay, sans the bucket which I don’t need, for $30. I bought it. I’ll be careful not to overload this one.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

I have big sweet teeth. I have to do something about it. This is it.
I haven't had sweets or chocolate for 3 months. It was hard for the first couple of weeks. Then it got a lot easier afterwards. I got better health. I saved money too. Win-Win.
Last edited by livelovelaugh00 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.