iPhone and iPad For Senior Citizen

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

iPhone and iPad For Senior Citizen

Post by Leesbro63 »

My 85 year old mother recently moved into an Independent Living building. She no longer uses a "computer", but spends a lot of time on her iPhone and iPad. The building provides basic Comcast TV, but she could get internet for a fee (I assume about $50/month). Unfortunately the WiFi in the building is only in the center common area and doesn't reach her apartment.

So as of now, she's on an AT&T plan that costs about $85 per month for service for the iphone and ipad. Is there a way to use the iPhone as some sort of free hotspot so I can eliminate the approx $25 per month for the iPad? I don't want to eliminate any of her service and she's not adept enough to fumble with WiFi here and not there.

As an aside, I have found AT&T frustrating. When adding or changing devices, the monthly costs are always more than what they say, even adjusting for taxes. And they always say they can't estimate the taxes, but I don't believe them.
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukeblue219

Re: iPhone and iPad For Senior Citizen

Post by dukeblue219 »

There is, but I would not consider it a better option than "fumbling" with wifi as you say. There will be similar places that things can go wrong or be confusing.

Most plans only have limited high speed tethering included and trying to explain how to enable and disable tethering is going to be trouble in this scenario.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:15 pm There is, but I would not consider it a better option than "fumbling" with wifi as you say. There will be similar places that things can go wrong or be confusing.

Most plans only have limited high speed tethering included and trying to explain how to enable and disable tethering is going to be trouble in this scenario.
Exactly what I suspected. But thanks for the confirmation.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:18 pm
dukeblue219 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:15 pm There is, but I would not consider it a better option than "fumbling" with wifi as you say. There will be similar places that things can go wrong or be confusing.

Exactly what I suspected. But thanks for the confirmation.
Currently have AT&T prepaid plan ($40/mo, 15GB data (hotspot included)). Total cost + tax <$42. It has worked as advertised.

I'm planning to switch to Visible prepaid at end of this month to test their $40/mo unlimited data plan (hotspot included).
--Downside is that hotspot throttled to 5Mbps, one device. (Shouldn't be a problem for one device---home PC.)
--They advertise that if you join a party of folks, plan cost drops to $25/mo. (They provide a service to match folks wanting to join a party.)
--They advertise service works with iphones.

Search: https://www.google.com/search?q=visible+plan+iphone
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Does she need an $85 a month cellular plan? In other words, how often does she use these devices outside of her apartment? The more conventional method would be to get the internet service for $50 a month. Eliminate the cellular service for the iPad. Get a cheaper plan for the phone. But this, of course, depends on desired use.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Katietsu wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:37 pm Does she need an $85 a month cellular plan? In other words, how often does she use these devices outside of her apartment? The more conventional method would be to get the internet service for $50 a month. Eliminate the cellular service for the iPad. Get a cheaper plan for the phone. But this, of course, depends on desired use.
I don’t see this. Still gonna be $85.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:43 pm
Katietsu wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:37 pm Does she need an $85 a month cellular plan? In other words, how often does she use these devices outside of her apartment? The more conventional method would be to get the internet service for $50 a month. Eliminate the cellular service for the iPad. Get a cheaper plan for the phone. But this, of course, depends on desired use.
I don’t understand. What is $85? I thought that was her cellular service. Most seniors do fine on plans that are $10-$30 a month. Does she need a lot of data outside of her apartment?
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Katietsu wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:49 pm
I don’t understand. What is $85? I thought that was her cellular service. Most seniors do fine on plans that are $10-$30 a month. Does she need a lot of data outside of her apartment?
If I’m understanding correctly, she doesn’t have any other internet service. So she pays $85 for cell service, or she pays $60 for just the phone, then buys landline internet on top of that to feed the iPad.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

quantAndHold wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:14 pm
If I’m understanding correctly, she doesn’t have any other internet service. So she pays $85 for cell service, or she pays $60 for just the phone, then buys landline internet on top of that to feed the iPad.
My thought was that she could consider getting “landline internet” with a cell phone plan that is significantly less than $60 for a phone. I do not know though if the phone bill includes a device payment or if a lot data is needed outside the apartment. My elderly iphone and ipad user consumes about 300 MB of cellular data in a high use month. Their use is otherwise via their home ISP. Plans with <500GB can be found for significantly less than $60.

Would the internet available be Comcast? If so, see if Comcast internet plus Xfinity Mobile would meet her needs. XfinityMobile would be $15 plus a small amount of tax for 1 GB a month of data.

The other question is whether the home internet would be useful for other things. For instance, I put in a couple Amazon Echo speakers and lightbulbs. They really like asking Alexa the temperature, using it to play Oldies music, and turning the light on verbally before getting out of bed during the night.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Katietsu wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:48 pm
My thought was that she could consider getting “landline internet” with a cell phone plan that is significantly less than $60 for a phone. I do not know though if the phone bill includes a device payment or if a lot data is needed outside the apartment. My elderly iphone and ipad user consumes about 300 MB of cellular data in a high use month. Their use is otherwise via their home ISP. Plans with <500GB can be found for significantly less than $60.

Would the internet available be Comcast? If so, see if Comcast internet plus Xfinity Mobile would meet her needs. XfinityMobile would be $15 plus a small amount of tax for 1 GB a month of data.

The other question is whether the home internet would be useful for other things. For instance, I put in a couple Amazon Echo speakers and lightbulbs. They really like asking Alexa the temperature, using it to play Oldies music, and turning the light on verbally before getting out of bed during the night.
Yes, the internet would be Comcast. She's using about 3GB of data on the iphone and 7GB on the iPad. She needs the iphone both inside the apartment and when out and about. She's still "very able" and does a lot of "out and about". There is no use for internet beyond what I described. She isn't going to use an Alexa or Amazon Echo etc. Truthfully she's hard of hearing and between her confusion as to how to use them as well as the loud TV usually on in the background, those devices are not for her.

It would appear that there is no cheap option that doesn't have a lot of restrictions. So I guess we'll continue the current arrangement.
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Correct, there is no other internet service. And there is no landline and no need for a landline. Just an unlimited iPhone11 and an unlimited iPadwhatever of about the same (2 years ago) era. She pays about $60 for unlimited iPhone talk, text and data with AT&T. And about $25 for unlimited data on the iPad. Total of $85/month, all on one AT&T bill. The iPad has a phone number, but we've never used it. I assume there is some talk or something associated with that number.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

No, she doesn't need much data OUTSIDE her apartment, but she does need a fairly robust cell phone plan both inside and outside her apartment. And some way to use 7GB of data on her iPad. But getting a $50 internet plan from Comcast for the iPad, even with the cheapie senior phone plan with someone, it's still close to $85. Am I missing something?
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

Is she using 7gb of data a day or a month?
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:30 amBut getting a $50 internet plan from Comcast for the iPad, even with the cheapie senior phone plan with someone, it's still close to $85. Am I missing something?
No. You have a situation that works without being cripplingly expensive. You might be able to save dollars here and there but nothing drastic.

Don't rock the boat, as they say.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

cjcerny wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:59 am Is she using 7gb of data a day or a month?
Per month.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:59 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:30 amBut getting a $50 internet plan from Comcast for the iPad, even with the cheapie senior phone plan with someone, it's still close to $85. Am I missing something?
No. You have a situation that works without being cripplingly expensive. You might be able to save dollars here and there but nothing drastic.

Don't rock the boat, as they say.
Yes, after my own research as well as vetting all this here, it does seem that mom is at a "good enough" point for her needs. She's 85 and doesn't do much beyond what's in the senior building. To scrimp to get her communication costs down to maybe $60 from $85 seems foolish based on what I've learned. Thank you all for the input here.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:01 am
cjcerny wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:59 am Is she using 7gb of data a day or a month?
Per month.
Geez…$85 seems like way too much for 7gb a month. Mint Mobile is $20 a month for 10gb. Drop their SIM in an unlocked iPhone, turn on the hotspot feature on the phone, tether the iPad to the phone. This solution works fine for me.
Last edited by cjcerny on Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

cjcerny wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:10 am
Per month.
Geez…$85 seems like way to much for 7gb a month. Mint Mobile is $20 a month for 10gb. Drop their SIM in an unlocked iPhone, turn in the hotspot feature on the phone, tether the iPad to the phone. This solution works fine for me.
In theory this sounds good. In reality, is "Mint Mobile" some Mickey Mouse service that isn't robust? And is it really $20 or is it closer to $30 with the taxes and nuisance fees? And how does an 85 year old deal with "tethering"? Heck how does this 61 year old deal with it?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:13 am
Per month.
Geez…$85 seems like way to much for 7gb a month. Mint Mobile is $20 a month for 10gb. Drop their SIM in an unlocked iPhone, turn in the hotspot feature on the phone, tether the iPad to the phone. This solution works fine for me.
In theory this sounds good. In reality, is "Mint Mobile" some Mickey Mouse service that isn't robust? And how does an 85 year old deal with "tethering"? Heck how does this 61 year old deal with it?
Search around here or elsewhere on the internet for Mint Mobile. I've used them, they're perfectly fine. They use T-Mobile's network. 99% of the time it'll be the exact same experience as T-Mobile, in a few cases there may be deprioritization, but unlikely to matter for a senior.

Tethering on the iPhone/iPad is pretty transparent, it's very easy to use.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

Leesbro63 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:13 am
Per month.
In theory this sounds good. In reality, is "Mint Mobile" some Mickey Mouse service that isn't robust? And is it really $20 or is it closer to $30 with the taxes and nuisance fees? And how does an 85 year old deal with "tethering"? Heck how does this 61 year old deal with it?
Mint Mobile is a big MVNO on the T-Mobile network these days.

Tethering just works, at least for me, between an iPad and an iPhone once you take a minute to configure it. As long as the iPad is within 20-30 feet of the iPhone and the iPone has a signal, the iPad will be able to use the iPhone’s data connection to the internet.

Can there be technical challenges from time to time? You bet, but that is going to be true of any phone or internet service you go with. Could be more, could be less. Dunno. Having a level of comfort with the technology certainly couldn’t hurt. None of that stuff ever works perfectly 24/7/365.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

As long as you have a plan that supports a hotspot, it’s pretty easy to use. My Verizon plan includes hotspot capability and all I have to do to turn it on and off is open settings and enable it. Do you know if her current plan includes mobile hotspot? If so, you could try it out and see how it would work for her.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

It sounds to me like you already have the perfect solution. Both her phone and tablet just work no matter where she is. I think you'll find plenty of people who pay a lot more than $85 a month for phone and internet access. If you find AT&T frustrating, try dealing with Verizon. Or Comcast for that matter.