Phoenix, AZ as an early retirement location? Advice please

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
HomerJ

Re: Phoenix, AZ as an early retirement location? Advice please

Post by HomerJ »

HueyLD wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:41 am Tier rates have been in place for a long time in Tucson area.

Currently, the rates are as follows:

0-7 CCF: $2.07/CCF
8-15 CCF: $3.82/CCF
16-30 CCF: $8.39/CCF
31+ CCF: $12.93/CCF

As you can see, going over 15 CCF can be very costly.
My water bill is around $50 a month. And I even have an uncovered pool that evaporates and is automatically refilled.

They need to just stop farming in the desert. Or just build some more aquaducts and bring the water from places that have too much water. Southern California is a paradise because of all the large water projects they did in the 1920s and 1930s to bring water down from Northern California.

This planet is 2/3 water... There is always a solution.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

IMO wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:24 pm
MDfan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:41 am
stoptothink wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:52 am
MDfan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:43 am
tfunk wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:40 pm My Mom lived in Phoenix for 25 years. I dreaded going over to visit in the summer from Southern California because of the heat.
For about 15 of those years, she spent the summer months up near Flagstaff.
You will be running the air conditioner every day from May to September.
I get a kick out of the "dry heat" comments.
Me too. Hot is hot. We were in Vegas a few years ago in July and it was like 108 during the day. It was like walking into an oven every time we went outside. Still something like 98 degrees and uncomfortable at 9:00 at night. Although, the humidity in the DC area where we live is no picnic, either.
People have such different responses to temperature and humidity. I lived in Mesa for 2yrs and then moved to Houston; to me 100 in Houston was significantly less comfortable than 115 in Mesa.
To me, they are both just as miserable.
When people talk about Phoenix and Vegas in the summers, there's no way of getting around the realistic aspect that it is damn hot. Yes it feels like an being in an oven. But then again, with other locations, even places where people note are "mild" winters, it seems like it's just a trade-off because in those locations in winter, it gets cold. Any temperatures that drop below 32 degrees is in essence the same thing as being in a freezer or starting the day off in a freezer. Doesn't even have to be someplace like Fargo, ND. Going outside in a freezer or going into an oven are both not comfortable. Some places even are worse, you get walking into a freezer in the winter and walking into a sauna (with bugs) in the summers. In any of those situations, the result is the same, one can effectively get shut in the home if one doesn't take part in activities that complement the weather. To me, kinda seems like DC puts one in the freezer for the winter and the sauna with bugs for the summer, that kinda sounds miserable also.

Based on transplants in Phoenix, it would seem many prefer dealing with the oven vs. dealing with the freezer and/or sauna.

tfunk, Obviously living in SoCal and visiting Phoenix/Vegas in the summers are hot. Should have visited your mom up in Flagstaff cause it's typically nicer than SoCal in the summers. When I lived in SoCal, we regularly enjoyed summer boating trips to Lake Havasu/Lake Martinez because the boating and conditions (very hot is best for being in the water all day) because SoCal has relatively pretty low quality wakeboarding lakes. Not many US places outside of SoCal (especially coastal) that can be beat for year round weather, except Hawaii in my opinion.

Don't mind DC winters at all. Summer humidity is no fun, but it is very nice to have the change of seasons. Personal preference, but I would take the sauna for a month or so over the oven for 3-4 months. But I realize everyone has their own tastes and tolerance.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Too hot.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

HomerJ wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:31 pm This planet is 2/3 water... There is always a solution.
Agreed. It's just a cost/ick issue for the USA. Waste water reclamation, desalinization, and pipelines from out east are known solutions. Better rain water reclamation may do it as well.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Lee_WSP wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:58 pm pipelines from out east
Those people "out east" might have opinions about that. :twisted:
It's "Roth", not "ROTH". Senator William Roth was a person, not an acronym.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

22twain wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:31 am
Seems to me that the Mississippi seems to flood almost every year. I think we'd be doing them a favor by relieving some of that extra water pressure. :twisted: :beer 8-)
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

22twain wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:31 am
LOL... Do I really have to post pictures of all the flooding going on right now?
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”