Problem with listening to audio books on smart phone while walking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Retired1809

Problem with listening to audio books on smart phone while walking

Post by Retired1809 »

I enjoy listening to downloaded audio books on my smart phone when I take long walks. Unfortunately, the book often jumps from one section to another (e. g., Chapter 1 to Chapter 8). The problem is with the movement of the smartphone in my pocket. It's even worse when I run.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to eliminate the unwanted jumps so I can enjoy the audio books without having to stop and reposition the book. Thanks.

Edit: I am experiencing this problem on my Amazon Blu phone after downloading free audio books from Hoopla using WIFI and turning off my data.
Last edited by Retired1809 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OnceARunner

Re: Problem with listening to audio books on smart phone while walking

Post by OnceARunner »

What type of phone do you have? My iPhone 11's screen stays off when I'm not using it so nothing can be touched accidentally. I run with mine and my AirPods nearly every day and the podcasts don't ever jump forward/backward.
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

I had an iPhone that would dial people when biking. I'd face the phone glass outward and that seemed to fix it. Maybe find a fabric case/sock to put it in.
My other vehicle is an index fund.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

After starting the audio book trying putting that app in the background by bringing any other app into the foreground.

Cheers
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I’ve had loads of problems with Hoopla behaving badly, especially when connected to Bluetooth. I pretty much stopped using Hoopla as a result. I know that isn’t what you want to hear…
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I've had a similar problem. I think it was caused when the screen touched my leg while I was walking. This depended on the material of the pants I was wearing. Turning the screen to face away from my leg usually helped.

Try putting the phone in different pockets and facing different directions to see if that helps. I like the suggestion up-thread to put in a cloth bag or a sock.

Also, make sure the shuffle setting isn't set on the book.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

Load you audio book onto a small cheap clip-on MP3 player ($40), $75 for bluetooth MP3 player.
Topic Author
Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 »

Thanks, Everyone. Interesting that others have had problems with Hoopla.

And yes, the MP3 player is an excellent solution. Sometimes the simplest technology is the best.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

You could try getting a cell phone case that includes a cover (a lid over the top of the screen). Amazon has lots of case options and most are cheap so little risk if it does not work.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Retired1809 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:22 pm Edit: I am experiencing this problem on my Amazon Blu phone after downloading free audio books from Hoopla using WIFI and turning off my data.
From all the reviews I have read, there are many complaints of the Amazon Blu phone waking up if shook slightly and once that happens, touching can change things. I have an iPhone and have never had an issue with that happening so my suggestion would to either get a different phone or electronic device to play your audio books on.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Some music apps have "shake to shuffle" setting that can be turned off. I don't use audible books so have no idea about that wrt books.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications