What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ruralavalon

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by ruralavalon »

pezblanco wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:19 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:17 am 1620, by Peter W.Wood.

The subtitle is: "A Critical Response to The 1619 Project ". The book outlines some of the factual innaccuracies, misrepresentations, misinterpretations and hyperbole of the 1619 Project.

I had hoped it would be more focused on discussion of historical fact and evidence rather than on political analysis of the motives of the 1619 Project authors and promoters. Not recommended.
I agree with your assessment. It's too bad since the 1619 Project is something that needs a clearly written, stick to the history, refutation.
Do you have any recommendation for a better book on this subject?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Madhouse at the End of the Earth: The Belgica's Journey into the Dark Antarctic Night, by Julian Sancton.

Fascinating account of the 1897-99 Antarctic expedition. The ship spent an entire Antarctic winter frozen in sea ice, with dire consequences for the crew. Recommended.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Just finished "Vanished" by Joseph Heller....sort of like Jack Reacher. It was ok.

Currently reading "Black Smoke, African Americans and the United States of Barbecue" by Adrian Miller. Slow read for me, similar to making BBQ - I read for awhile, get hungry and put the book down. Part cookbook, part restaurant review, and part African American history book...I am enjoying it.

Next up is the Michael Lewis Pandemic book...

Ed
engine37

Post by engine37 »

Just finished "Monster of the Midway" about Bronko Nagurski's career in the NFL and the legendary Chicago Bears of the 30's and 40's. Great book - makes today's NFL players seem almost feminine...
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

I recently ran across Passion for Reality: the Extraordinary Life of Investing Pioneer Paul Cabot.

Though published in 2014, a casual forum search reveal that the book has not hit the collective radar screen of this forum, despite the fact that Jack Bogle wrote the foreword for the book and praised it lavishly.

There was an engaging short preview published by the author available: here.

The New York Times obituary for Mr. Cabot claims that he started the first mutual fund, which sounds arguable. Jack Bogle agreed in the foreword that Cabot's fund was indeed "the first at least by one measure, the date it started operations [in 1924]." In any event, Cabot was indeed one of the pioneers and he was deeply involved in helping to create the regulatory and tax structure in the 1930s that allowed the industry to survive and eventually to flourish. I am also pretty fascinated by the history of Boston at that time and it does seem that Boston Brahmins (like Cabot) were very important in nurturing the infant industry.

Although published by the very reputable Columbia University Press, the book does not seem to be available in any nearby academic or public library to which I have easy access, so I decided to order it from Amazon.

I am wondering if anyone else has read it?
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Slogging through Malazan Book of the Fallen. I keep hearing it's the greatest fantasy series ever... but 2 books deep and I'm struggling to like it.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Timex: A Company and its Community 1854-1998

The House that Bogle Built: How John Bogle and Vanguard Reinvented the Mutual Fund Industry

A Man and his Watch

Addicted to Americana: Celebrating Classic & Kitschy American Life & Style
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

My neighbor turned 90 and is getting rid of his library. He had a copy of The Lords Commissioners of Trade and Plantations Commonly Known as the Board of Trade (1748-1782[, by Arthur Herbert Basye, 1925 edition. When I saw it, I remembered reading a letter from George Mason from the 1760's to the Board of Trade complaining that they treated the colonists as children. And so, I am reading it.

I like old books and original sources. This is not an original source, but it is difficult to find information on the Board of Trade which was as important, perhaps more important, to the colonial economies than Parliament.

Alas, most folks don't like what I read.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

BalancedJCB19 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:35 am A Man and his Watch
Thanks, I added it to my wish list. Father’s Day is tomorrow in a week, you know.
Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:55 am Alas, most folks don't like what I read.
I like such books. I’m currently reading The Diary of Samuel Pepys , an entry a day. It will take me ten years to complete. My reading list leans heavily on the nineteenth century.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Reading from that era can be laborious sometimes. I have been lugging around an old edition of The Works of Samuel Johnson since the 1980's...I'll never finish it. On the other hand, the 1,500 pages of the papers of The Official Papers of Francis Fauquier, Lieutenant Governor of Virginia, 1758-1768 were fascinating and I still refer to them on occasion. It was interesting to see correspondence from an almost obsequious young George Washington to Fauquier and of course the insight into colonial Virginia government.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

^^^ I’ll try to find Fauquier‘s papers, thanks for the tip. Amazon has it used for $42 but I’ll try to read it for free first. It’s not online and my local library system doesn’t carry it, but my relative is a member of a big university library and I can try that route.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

sureshoe wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:24 am Slogging through Malazan Book of the Fallen. I keep hearing it's the greatest fantasy series ever... but 2 books deep and I'm struggling to like it.
I tried twice to get through the first Malazan book and just lost bogged down. The book seems overly convoluted and dense, and not all that well structured; with not one character that I could identify with. I don't want to waste my time reading something where I need copious notes to track the numerous plot lines and characters. I also don't think the writing was all that great either, unpolished and muddled. Only the fan-boys are calling it the "...greatest fantasy of all time...". The guy comes off as some Gene Wolfe wanna-be but lacking Wolfe's talent.
LinearRange

Post by LinearRange »

I recently finished A Worse Place Than Hell: How the Civil War Battle of Fredericksburg Changed a Nation by John Matteson.

It's a cultural/social history of the Civil War, viewing it through the battle of Fredericksburg and through the lives of five people affected by the experience. Three of the people are well known - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Louisa May Alcott & Walt Whitman. The other two are lesser known & unknown.

It's part biography, part history. It's interesting to see people's attitudes toward the war and how it profoundly shaped them. I'm not a Civil War buff (I read Doris Goodwin's Team of Rivals ~5 years ago and have picked up a few Civil War books since then), but I found it quite readable and interesting.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:15 am
BalancedJCB19 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:35 am A Man and his Watch
Thanks, I added it to my wish list. Father’s Day is tomorrow you know.
Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:55 am Alas, most folks don't like what I read.
I like such books. I’m currently reading The Diary of Samuel Pepys , an entry a day. It will take me ten years to complete. My reading list leans heavily on the nineteenth century.
Cool. Yeah, a Man and his watch is a fun book with amazing stories behind them and great photos. My favorites were the sentimental journey many of them held and how the history of the watch was as much a part of the story as the watch itself. It's something a watch lover like myself was really able to relate to. Enjoy!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

BalancedJCB19 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:42 am Cool. Yeah, a Man and his watch is a fun book with amazing stories behind them and great photos. My favorites were the sentimental journey many of them held and how the history of the watch was as much a part of the story as the watch itself. It's something a watch lover like myself was really able to relate to. Enjoy!
Yes I’m a watch aficionado myself. I own six or seven pieces but none are expensive, the costliest one set me back about $450. I’d own more expensive pieces except I’m married. I looked at the preview on Amazon and the book looks good. The story of Paul Newman’s Daytona Rolex is interesting. His wife, the famous actress Joanne Woodward, bought it at Tiffany’s (supposedly) for around $300 in 1968/69, a time I have a clear memory of, and it was sold at auction a short while back for in excess of $17 million. Her engraving is amusing. I must say though, I think it’s ugly, as I don’t like two-tone watches with subdials.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:05 pm
BalancedJCB19 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:42 am Cool. Yeah, a Man and his watch is a fun book with amazing stories behind them and great photos. My favorites were the sentimental journey many of them held and how the history of the watch was as much a part of the story as the watch itself. It's something a watch lover like myself was really able to relate to. Enjoy!
Yes I’m a watch aficionado myself. I own six or seven pieces but none are expensive, the costliest one set me back about $450. I’d own more expensive pieces except I’m married. I looked at the preview on Amazon and the book looks good. The story of Paul Newman’s Daytona Rolex is interesting. His wife, the famous actress Joanne Woodward, bought it at Tiffany’s (supposedly) for around $300 in 1968/69, a time I have a clear memory of, and it was sold at auction a short while back for in excess of $17 million. Her engraving is amusing. I must say though, I think it’s ugly, as I don’t like two-tone watches with subdials.
I am the same type of collector, in fact I love Timex and that is 85% of my collection. I don't collect to make money on them, I collect what catches my high and the connection I have with them as a person. John Bogle wore a $14 dollar Timex he received as a gift after his heart transplant and many CEOs wear them along with Casio's, Swatches and Seikos. There are a ton of watch collectors who don't collect Luxury watches. I do agree, I'm not a fan of the chrono dial myself.
mancich

Post by mancich »

On Desperate Ground by Hampton Sides. Story of the battle of the Chosin Reservoir in Korea. Excellent read.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:51 am
sureshoe wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:24 am Slogging through Malazan Book of the Fallen. I keep hearing it's the greatest fantasy series ever... but 2 books deep and I'm struggling to like it.
I tried twice to get through the first Malazan book and just lost bogged down. The book seems overly convoluted and dense, and not all that well structured; with not one character that I could identify with. I don't want to waste my time reading something where I need copious notes to track the numerous plot lines and characters. I also don't think the writing was all that great either, unpolished and muddled. Only the fan-boys are calling it the "...greatest fantasy of all time...". The guy comes off as some Gene Wolfe wanna-be but lacking Wolfe's talent.
It's been quite a bit of work :) There are a couple threads that I thought were good, but a couple where I was completely lost and didn't feel like going back 3 times.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

MP173 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:30 pm Just finished "Vanished" by Joseph Heller....sort of like Jack Reacher. It was ok.

Currently reading "Black Smoke, African Americans and the United States of Barbecue" by Adrian Miller. Slow read for me, similar to making BBQ - I read for awhile, get hungry and put the book down. Part cookbook, part restaurant review, and part African American history book...I am enjoying it.

Next up is the Michael Lewis Pandemic book...

Ed
Premonition by Michael Lewis is excellent. When institutions failed, a very American bottom-up improvised response occurred.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Escalante's Dream, by David Roberts.

The subtitle is: "On the trail of the Spanish discovery of the Southwest". In 2017 the 74 year old author suffering from cancer travels with his wife by car and camping out, retracing the general route of the 1776-77 Dominquez-Escalante expedition exploring New Mexico, Arizona and Utah. The author said "this mini-expedition was the best thing we had ever done together." I thought the book was interesting.

The two Franciscan Friars had led a party of the about 12 mostly unarmed men through the Southwest without the loss of any personnel and without any armed confrontations with the Hopi, Navajo, Utes, Paiutes or any other native tribe.

The objectives of the Dominquez-Escalante expedition had been to find a route from Santa Fe New Mexico to Monterey California, and to convert the natives to Christianity. Neither objective was achieved.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

The "Round House" by Louise Erdrich. She is a a magnificent writer. I also read "The Night Watchman" by her, also outstanding.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Just finished Mortality by Chrisopher Hitchens. It's not an uplifting book, but I admire and relate to his unflinching look at the hard truths of cancer.

Now reading The Emperor of all Maladies and can't put it down. I'm only about 20% through the book, but it is magisterial. If you want to know everything (as of 2010) this is the book. I am already hoping that he publishes an updated edition soon since SO much has changed in the 12 years since the publication.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Just finished The Plague Year: America in the Time of Covid by Lawrence Wright and developed from Wright’s article last December in The New Yorker titled “The Plague Year.” There was much new information, at least for me, on just about every aspect of 2020, including development of the mRNA vaccine and the CDC. Another good chapter is on “The Mission of Wall Street,” with perspective from Goldman Sachs' chief economist and from a senior advisor. Recommended.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

"Augustus: The Life Of Rome's First Emperor", by Anthony Everitt (Random House 2006)

Everitt previously wrote an excellent biography of Cicero and he continued to excel in this later effort. Gaius Octavius (Jr.) eventually became Gaius Caesar Octavianus and finally stopped at Caesar Augustus, the First Citizen (princeps) of the nascent Roman Empire. This progression would not have occurred if Augustus had not been a great nephew of Julius Caesar. Also of great assistance was the fact that Julius adopted him as a son in his final will. To be fair, we must acknowledge that Augustus was quite the talented politician and leader. He played a very long game, usually with great patience, although in a few memorable instances he totally lost his temper and made a fool of himself. While not a natural soldier, he had tremendous moral courage, which he displayed several times by standing by himself in front of mobs of angry citizens and soldiers. Eventually his most dangerous opponents - Brutus, Cassius, Sextus Pompeius, and Marc Antony - were defeated and Augustus was the last man standing. Unlike his great uncle, he kept his sizable ego under control and did not demand to be proclaimed a dictator for life. This wise decision kept the Senate, the citizens, and the soldiers satisfied and Augustus kept control of the reins of power for an astounding forty-four years until his death in 14 AD. Everitt lays the entire history out in very clear and connected fashion, which is no small feat considering the machinations of ancient Roman politics. I especially like it that when Everitt is making a best guess as to what might have taken place two millennia ago, he always alerts the reader to that fact. High recommendation.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Operation Pedestal, by Max Hastings.

The book details fighting in the August 1942 British fleet effort and convoy to relieve Malta during World War II. The ships and sailors who survived endured 3-4 days of near constant air, submarine and surface attacks by German and Italian forces. The relief effort suffered from lack of inter-service coordination and nearly failed. I recommend this book.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

"Math Makers: The Lives And Works Of 50 Famous Mathematicians", by Alfred Posamentier and Christian Spreitzer (Prometheus Books 2020)

If you have a son or daughter who has evinced a strong proclivity for mathematics, then this compendium would be a wonderful gift for them. My strong prejudice is that you don't really begin to understand and appreciate mathematics until you are aware of the history behind all of the formulae. The authors do a scholarly job of covering all of the prominent notables in succinct essays, although I questioned some of their choices. Twenty pages for Lorenzo Mascheroni and only nine pages for Isaac Newton and eight pages for Euler? On the other hand, they do a fine job in loudly proclaiming the accomplishments of female mathematicians: Maria Agnesi, Sophie Germain, Ada Lovelace, Sofia Kovalevskaya, Emmy Noether, and Maryam Mirzhakhani. As always, I experienced a poignant sadness when noting the great mathematicians who deserved a long lifespan, but were unfairly denied one. Besides the utterly disheartening examples of Abel and Galois, you can add Pascal, Boole, Riemann, Ramanujan, Turing, and four of the female geniuses mentioned above. The warning of Robert Herrick comes to mind - "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may." Maybe this is why the Fields Medal is only awarded to mathematicians under 40 years old. Finally, another little gripe: in the footnotes for the lives of Sylvester and Galois, the authors referenced Wikipedia. Really? Primary sources only, please! :annoyed
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Let’s see…some good ones lately.

I’m finishing up Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry. I avoided this one for years, because western? But it’s really good, one of the better 1000 page novels I’ve read recently.

Also The Nickel Boys, by Colson Whitehead. Novel about two black boys in a juvenile detention facility in Florida in the 60’s.

The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race, by Walter Isaacson. Very interesting book about the CRISPR gene editing technology and the people involved.

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania, by Erik Larsen. We all know what happened to the Lusitania. But I swear, all the way up until the torpedo hits, I’m rooting for the ship, and it feels like they’re gonna get away with it.

Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family, by Robert Kolker. A family with 12 kids, and six of them are schizophrenic. Yikes.

The Vanishing Half, by Brit Bennet. Well told novel about two sisters, light skinned black women. One decides to pass as white.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Exhalation by Ted Chiang. A book of science fiction short stories. Time travel; artificial intelligence, robots, and others.

Some very intriguing ideas and insights into AI, life, and more. One of the NYT 10 best books of 2019.

Well written but at times he kept at his story telling in more detail and length than I wanted to give. I do recommend it.

I thought it had been recommended in this thread, but now see it was in the Good Modern Science Fiction thread.
search.php?keywords=exhalation&t=146455&sf=msgonly
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny.

Chief Inspector Gamache and his team investigate yet another death in Three Pines, a veritable killing field in Quebec.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I just completed "The Premonition" by Michael Lewis. So far, it is my "book of the year".

Excellent examination of several key players in the COVID pandemic...insiders who realized suspected early on this was going to be big and bad. Now, what will be learn from this pandemic? How will we prepare for the next one? How CAN we prepare if we do not know what it will be?

In so many ways the pandemic was mishandled, yet...vaccines were developed very quickly. Hopefully we can develop a plan for the next one and move the CDC into a more active role, rather than gathering data and publishing reports post pandemic.

Ed
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

MP173 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:20 pm I just completed "The Premonition" by Michael Lewis. So far, it is my "book of the year".

Excellent examination of several key players in the COVID pandemic...insiders who realized suspected early on this was going to be big and bad. Now, what will be learn from this pandemic? How will we prepare for the next one? How CAN we prepare if we do not know what it will be?

In so many ways the pandemic was mishandled, yet...vaccines were developed very quickly. Hopefully we can develop a plan for the next one and move the CDC into a more active role, rather than gathering data and publishing reports post pandemic.

Ed
I'm half through The Premonition and highly recommend it. The overall story is fascinating to me. His descriptions of unique players is overwritten, but his insights into the modeling of earlier pandemics is fascinating as well as his take on the CDC. Accurate or not his discussion of social distancing and modeling it is worth considering.
papermario

Post by papermario »

Two complementary books on monetary policy in parallel:

- The end of alchemy
- Money from nothing
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Thermopylae, 2019 by Chris Carey (Oxford University Press Great Battle Series)

I'm about 100 pages into it, out of just over 200 pages.

If you saw the movie 300, this is an in-depth study of that battle. From my memory of the movie, it seems it was pretty close to the reality as described here.

Thermopylae, 480 BC, is one of the most important battles in human history -- justifying its inclusion into Oxford's Great Battle Series. It is literally what legends are made from. The book does a credible job of discovering the reality behind the legend, as far as can be understood after two and a half millennia. It is intended to be accessible to the general public and does a credible job of that as well. I find it fascinating. I found the maps a bit troublesome. Place names in the narrative are often not on the maps. Some of this difficulty might be in the passage of time.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Shattered Sword, by Jonathan B. Parshall and Anthony P. Sully.

This book is a reexamination of the the reasons for the Japanese loss in the carrier battle at Midway in June 1942, and debunking some common myths, based primarily on Japanese language sources not widely available in English. Recommended.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

“A Double Life” by Flynn Berry. Berry writes in first person style.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

"Geniuses At War", by David A. Price (Alfred A. Knopf NY 2021)

This book is another worthy contribution to the literature describing the critical work of the British Bletchley Park codebreakers during WW2. It is succinct and not overly mathematical. As you expect, Alan Turing and Gordon Welchman are well-covered in the early chapters as the famous breaking of the Kriegsmarine's Enigma code is outlined. That code enabled Admiral Doenitz to secretly converse with his Unterseeboot Kapitans and to wreak havoc among Allied convoys crossing the Atlantic. This code-breaking, along with other countermeasures such as long distance attack planes equipped with centimetric radar, enabled the Allies to shut down the frightening U-boat menace in April/May 1943.

To his great credit, the author spends a lot of time explaining another, but less well-known, breakthrough emanating from the Park. The German High Command (read: Hitler) communicated with its field generals using Lorenz radio teletype (RT) coding machines. The coding combinations presented by this machine were almost infinitely more complex than those presented by a four rotor Enigma box. And yet - they decoded the RT transmissions and read the Wehrmacht's strategic mail in time for D-day! Bill Tutte and Tommy Flowers - their names should be a famous as Turing's when it comes to the history of code-breaking. The latter two, along with a gentleman mathematician named Max Newman, invented the first primitive but functional digital computer called Colossus. The whole story of the Park is beyond extraordinary and Price has done it justice with this effort.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

FreeAtLast wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:37 pm "Geniuses At War", by David A. Price (Alfred A. Knopf NY 2021)
A topic of very much interest to me. Thanks for bringing this book to my attention. I put an order in to Amazon.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

A Childers’s Bible, by Lydia Millet. A group of kids is thrown together when their parents, who were college friends, get together for a last fling in a mansion in what seems to be the Hamptons, when the apocalypse breaks out. I was actually kinda traumatized by this one. I’m still haunted by some of the images and themes.

The Sympathizer, by Viet Tranh Nguyen. A communist double agent gets himself sent to America after the fall of Saigon, where he continues reporting back to his superiors in Vietnam.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Now moved on to another book by Hampton Sides: "Ghost Soldiers", about the Bataan death march of U.S. soldiers, and subsequent imprisonment in a Japanese POW camp, and then rescue mission by U.S. Army Rangers. Really good. He is a great author.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Andrew Carnegie by David Nasaw
JCFjr

Post by JCFjr »

Master and Commander Book 1 The Aubrey/Maturin Series
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

mancich wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:46 am Now moved on to another book by Hampton Sides: "Ghost Soldiers", about the Bataan death march of U.S. soldiers, and subsequent imprisonment in a Japanese POW camp, and then rescue mission by U.S. Army Rangers. Really good. He is a great author.
Ghost Soldiers is a very good book :) .
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America

First book that I have wanted to recommend in a while.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
joelly

Post by joelly »

Reading the silent wife now. Gosh I forgot the writer.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I recently read Dead of Winter by Stephen Mack Jones. It's the 3rd in a series about a Detroit ex-police officer, August Snow, son of a black father and Mexican mother. Each in the series is a good read. I enjoy the characters and the dialog and the descriptions of Detroit. This one revolves around who's trying to develop off-the-grid luxury housing in Mexicantown in Detroit.

I just finished Razorblade Tears by S. A. Cosby. I've read several of his books and recommend them all. Some are hard to find in libraries. The ones I've read are generally noir crime novels in the South, but one, The Brotherhood of the Blade, is an urban sword fantasy. I think that was his 1st published.

Razorblade Tears has two old men ex-cons, fathers of their murdered gay married sons, investigating who killed them. Lots of snappy dialog, a motorcycle gang, and lots of action. Despite a bit of stereotyping, I highly recommend it.

I'm just starting a 2008 David Benioff novel, City of Thieves, centering on the siege of Leningrad in WWII. Benioff is co-creator of HBO's Game of Thrones. It got a rave mention in the past Sunday NYT Book Review.
Blues

Post by Blues »

heartwood wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:02 pm I recently read Dead of Winter by Stephen Mack Jones. It's the 3rd in a series about a Detroit ex-police officer, August Snow, son of a black father and Mexican mother. Each in the series is a good read. I enjoy the characters and the dialog and the descriptions of Detroit. This one revolves around who's trying to develop off-the-grid luxury housing in Mexicantown in Detroit.

I just finished Razorblade Tears by S. A. Cosby. I've read several of his books and recommend them all. Some are hard to find in libraries. The ones I've read are generally noir crime novels in the South, but one, The Brotherhood of the Blade, is an urban sword fantasy. I think that was his 1st published.

Razorblade Tears has two old men ex-cons, fathers of their murdered gay married sons, investigating who killed them. Lots of snappy dialog, a motorcycle gang, and lots of action. Despite a bit of stereotyping, I highly recommend it.

I'm just starting a 2008 David Benioff novel, City of Thieves, centering on the siege of Leningrad in WWII. Benioff is co-creator of HBO's Game of Thrones. It got a rave mention in the past Sunday NYT Book Review.
I haven't read the others yet, but I think you'll enjoy "City of Thieves". It was a good read by Benioff. I read it a few years back.
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

mancich wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:46 am Now moved on to another book by Hampton Sides: "Ghost Soldiers", about the Bataan death march of U.S. soldiers, and subsequent imprisonment in a Japanese POW camp, and then rescue mission by U.S. Army Rangers. Really good. He is a great author.
I am in the middle of "Corregidor".... we'll have to compare notes. Makes my bad days seem pretty easy.
Greg
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Blood of the Prophets, by Will Bagley.

The subtitle is: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows. This is a detailed account of the September 11, 1857 murders in Southern Utah of over 100 emigrants headed to California from Arkansas. The history is complex and it is sometimes hard to keep track of the major participants.
Katredbeard

Post by Katredbeard »

Eager by Ben Goldfarb

The surprising and secret lives of beavers and why they matter.

It is a fascinating look at the positive impact beavers would have on environments if allowed to recolonize areas they historically inhabited . Including many of the issues we are seeing in the US right now such drought, loss of wetlands, species declines, etc. They are a true keystone species and probably the species with the greatest impact on their environment after humans.
“Money can buy things, but nothing more valuable than freedom.” JL Collins
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Welcome to the forum :D .

Katredbeard wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:58 pm Eager by Ben Goldfarb

The surprising and secret lives of beavers and why they matter.

It is a fascinating look at the positive impact beavers would have on environments if allowed to recolonize areas they historically inhabited . Including many of the issues we are seeing in the US right now such drought, loss of wetlands, species declines, etc. They are a true keystone species and probably the species with the greatest impact on their environment after humans.