Best, Longest-Lasting Composition Roof

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kookaburra

Best, Longest-Lasting Composition Roof

Post by Kookaburra »

What is considered the best (or amongst the best) and longest lasting asphalt composition shingle roofs?

This is for a high desert climate that gets a lot of sun in the summer and a few feet of snow in the winter.
suemarkp

Re: Best, Longest-Lasting Composition Roof

Post by suemarkp »

Not so sure there is a definitive answer. Composition shingles come in various ratings/warranty periods. You can get 25 year, 30 year, 40 year, 50 year. I can't tell you if a Certainteed 50 yr shingle is going to be better than an Owens Corning 50 yr shingle or anyone elses 50 yr shingle. But the 50yr ones are thicker and longer lasting than the 30yr ones, and generally have more features such as copper chips for fungus control. That last perk may make no difference in a desert environment though.

I would not expect a shingle to last the full period it is advertised as (e.g. 50yr probably won't make it that long, but should go 40+).

I've had Certainteed shingles I thought were good. Had Pabco ones not so much. There are many brands and most people don't live long enough to evaluate them or even know what they have if its a pre-owned house.

Installation and adequate venting is probably most important after picking the longest duration shingle. I picked the shingle I wanted, and the Certainteed website had a list of approved contractors in my area that were approved to install them. That approval meant they took some training from Certainteed and does what Certainteed requires to get warranty coverage.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I just had a lovely roof installed (Prescott AZ - High Desert) - GAF - Timber ridge or line HD - Gold Pledge Warranty. I'm extremely happy with it.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Consider a switch to tile if the roof can handle the load.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

rebellovw wrote: ↑Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:43 pm I just had a lovely roof installed (Prescott AZ - High Desert) - GAF - Timber ridge or line HD - Gold Pledge Warranty. I'm extremely happy with it.
Coincidentally, I have that same roof. It works, no complaints from me.

But honestly, I have no way of knowing if it’s better or longer lasting than any other roof. I am fairly certain though that I won’t be in this house long enough to worry about it’s useful lifespan.

+1 for everybody to get the “algae control” on the shingles; just little flecks of copper in the granular that stop algae growth….
LISD

Post by LISD »

You can buy a composite shingle that lasts 1000 years (well, actually you can't, but if you could) you'll still be replacing the roof because the paper underneath it degrades. The shingle just protects the paper (besides aesthetics).

They used very heavy, and two layers, of tar paper on my roof. It is 25 years old and I had my first leak last year. It might go another 5 years before the entire roof needs changing. If they had used a single layer of thin paper I doubt it would last half as long.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

You buy the complete system now- no more paper.

When my GAF roof was installed (by a certified master installer) - they installed the underneath "stuff" - tiger paw - ridge vent etc - said it was water tight at that point - no shingles - then we had a 1ft of snow - worked like a champ - no issues at all.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I had the below shingle roof
installed a year ago,
Extremely pleased
Curbside appeal also
very nice :wink:
Owens Corning

https://www.owenscorning.com/en-us/roof ... s-shingles
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Post by Toons »

I had the below shingle roof
installed a year ago,
Extremely pleased
Curbside appeal also
very nice :wink:
Owens Corning

https://www.owenscorning.com/en-us/roof ... s-shingles
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

We built our home in 1997 and had 360# asphalt shingles. After about 3 years noticed that they were cracking horizontally. After "jumping the hoops" I settled for about 4k which would never begin to replace the shingles. Fast forward 10 years we had a hail storm and insurance settled for about 8k as I recall. I'd been researching steel shingles and decided that was what I wanted to try. Old shingles and felt removed down to the sheathing. New kind of felt/underlayment and steel shingles with a lifetime warranty. The insurance company notified me they wouldn't cover hail damage unless it caused a leak. Love the steel shingles. I am quite sure that my attic temp dropped significantly thus reducing my air conditioning. Have a 7/12 pitch so no problem with snow staying on the roof. I would explore steel roofing and I am sure you will be glad you did. Yes, they are expensive, but the benefits far outweigh the costs. Good luck...BTW I did have the gutter guards installed as it isn't safe to walk on a steel roof especially with that pitch.