Where to get podcasts without activity being tracked?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
chemocean

Where to get podcasts without activity being tracked?

Post by chemocean »

For a number of years, I have used RSS subscribes in MS Explorer to download my podcasts as MP3 files to transfer to my MP3 player. I recently learned that currently only MS Explorer supports RSS subscriptions. The podcast industry has been converted to social media, such as ITunes, Google play, Sticher, etc.. In Explorer, I delete all cookies and website data upon exiting the program. I don't want my podcast download load activity to be tracked, except maybe by the podcast supplier.
In a few cases, I have been able to go to google play and subscribe to RSS subscription which brings up the .xlm text in Firefox, because Firefox doesn't support RSS. Hidden in the text is the RSS link URL that has allowed me to paste the URL link into MS explorer and continue to RSS subscribe. THe only activity for which I use Explorer is downloading podcasts.

Is there a podcast service that has more privacy than the social media giants? I understand the concept, that if you are not paying for the service, YOU are the product.
daheld

Re: Where to get podcasts without activity being tracked?

Post by daheld »

Not at all judging and genuinely curious. What is your concern with your podcast interests being tracked?
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

Have you considered using a separate device? For example buying a cheap, possibly used netbook or other low end computer. You could buy it using cash, create throwaway accounts if necessary - I think it’s possible to still do this even though companies are making you jump through more and more hoops to do so. Then you can download all the podcasts you want and have them be unlinked to your identity. Will probably want to use a VPN as well as private browsing and other basic security measures.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Impatience wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:33 am Have you considered using a separate device? For example buying a cheap, possibly used netbook or other low end computer. You could buy it using cash, create throwaway accounts if necessary - I think it’s possible to still do this even though companies are making you jump through more and more hoops to do so. Then you can download all the podcasts you want and have them be unlinked to your identity. Will probably want to use a VPN as well as private browsing and other basic security measures.
Also use free wireless access at libraries of coffee shops. A different one each time. Fake names and addresses for registration. Disposable emails accounts.
davibi02

Post by davibi02 »

There's little hope of avoiding tracking, but as long as it's not being tracked against YOU (your identity), so be it. I use a VPN strategically. I segregate my browsers. On the browser used to download media, I NEVER log in with an account associated with either my name, or an email associated with my name or phone number.

It's getting increasingly difficult to do anything on the web not linked to your identity. Providers require phone numbers to sign up, etc.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Back in the day there use to be podcast receiver applications called "Podcatchers" that would take a list of RSS feeds and download all the MP3s to your PC. I don't know if they still exist though; everyone today uses a podcast player. I guess I'd recommend you not try to fight it and just use a podcast player.
crg11

Post by crg11 »

If you have an iPhone or iPad, Overcast (overcast.fm) is a fantastic podcast player that does privacy very well (https://overcast.fm/privacy).
Bill Bernstein

Post by Bill Bernstein »

You might also consider a legacy podcast client, such as Juice or gPodder, the latter of which works especially well with linux.

Bill
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

Using pocket casts and paying yearly. Not sure if they are selling usage data but pretty sure I just sign up with email so you could use a 1-off email address and go that route.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I subscribe to about 50 podcasts through the Downcast app on my iPhone.

I've never been concerned about privacy with respect to my podcast appetite. Should I be concerned?
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I guess I have to ask. I just use the iPhone podcast app for all my podcasts. As far as I know, they’re not tracking me. Or if they are, I’m not seeing anything obvious. How would I know? What evidence would I see?

I listen to a lot of stuff from the Malcolm Gladwell conglomerate for instance. I never see an ad or get an email when he publishes a new book. I guess if I were tracked, I’d expect to see something like that.
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

Stinky wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:44 pm I subscribe to about 50 podcasts through the Downcast app on my iPhone.

I've never been concerned about privacy with respect to my podcast appetite. Should I be concerned?
Apps may use your personal id such as email to see interest data to data brokers. They could possibly tell if you listen to ads and sell that to an interested party.
Personally, I don’t think this is a concern. More concerning would be using a Google phone, using gmail or Google. I use iPhone, duck duck go and o365 for email and docs for some amount of privacy.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Even though Firefox got rid of RSS support, Thunderbird didn't. So if you use Thunderbird as a mail client, you can add your RSS feeds. "PlayerFM" is the search term I use when looking for podcasts downloadable from the web vs social media.

I typically use Thunderbird with non-podcast feeds, so I just tested it out with a podcast feed.

Example:
Here's a podcast feed about mistakes pilots have made flying aircraft:

Never Again

Put that URL into Thunderbird under RSS Feeds | Manage Subscriptions and it shows a list of podcasts. Select the one you want and it's available as an MP3 attachment. An example would be:

I Knew I Was Rusty

Thunderbird can be locked down using many of the same privacy preferences as Firefox.
Topic Author
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

Bill Bernstein wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:58 pm You might also consider a legacy podcast client, such as Juice or gPodder, the latter of which works especially well with linux.

Bill
Installed gPodder with Windows 10. Loaded but couldn't find the interface.
Loaded Juice, interface appeared, but all the feeds came up with a DNS error when I tried to refresh the feed.
I know quite a few techies like Linus, but I am not computer savvy to pick up the operating system quickley.

I did load boogleheads podcast with Thunderbird, but the podcasts might be associated with the email on thunderbird. More on that on my reply to roamingzebra. I sure hope Rick is not selling my email to advertisers.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Normchad wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:44 pm I just use the iPhone podcast app for all my podcasts. As far as I know, they’re not tracking me. Or if they are, I’m not seeing anything obvious. How would I know? What evidence would I see?
+1

I have never seen any evidence of tracking to me personally. The app does give me suggestions about other podcasts I might like based upon the ones I listen too.
ScaledWheel

Post by ScaledWheel »

Podcasts are basically just distributed by pulling from an RSS feed. It is actually one of those areas of technology that is almost "web 1.0". If you use a podcast catcher (Overcast is my favorite), then the only thing they track is whether or not you downloaded the episode.

A lot of work is being put in by Spotify and Apple (and others) to introduce more tracking into podcast players, so they can use your information to insert customized ads and provide more information to advertising platforms, but they aren't there yet.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

chemocean wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:57 am I did load boogleheads podcast with Thunderbird, but the podcasts might be associated with the email on thunderbird. More on that on my reply to roamingzebra. I sure hope Rick is not selling my email to advertisers.
I have about 20 email addresses in my Thunderbird client. I'm fairly sure they are isolated from the RSS feeds as no email or other credentials are needed for the RSS feeds. But a dedicated feed reader may be more suited for your taste. Thunderbird is pretty clunky.
djheini

Post by djheini »

ScaledWheel wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:44 am Podcasts are basically just distributed by pulling from an RSS feed. It is actually one of those areas of technology that is almost "web 1.0". If you use a podcast catcher (Overcast is my favorite), then the only thing they track is whether or not you downloaded the episode.

A lot of work is being put in by Spotify and Apple (and others) to introduce more tracking into podcast players, so they can use your information to insert customized ads and provide more information to advertising platforms, but they aren't there yet.
At least some podcasts do some more things and tailor the file you download, so they have access to some information about you like location based on IP address. I discovered this when I heard ads that I couldn't understand, and it didn't click that they were in Norwegian until I realized that it had downloaded that episode while I was on vacation in Norway. This was pre-pandemic so not cutting edge.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

crg11 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:52 am If you have an iPhone or iPad, Overcast (overcast.fm) is a fantastic podcast player that does privacy very well (https://overcast.fm/privacy).
+1 on its usefulness. Not really sure about the privacy side of it
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” - Ben Graham
Topic Author
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

I prefer the old internet were the user pulled data rather than news and advertising is being pushed to you. That is why I prefer Explorer to Edge. I will spend a limited time fighting this trend in my personal use, but I realize I am the customer if I am not paying ( I do support several NPR stations)

I realized my NPR podcasts were inserting local advertising because the advertiser changed to a health care center in a town I was visiting.
As I mentioned in the OP, I use RSS feeds in Explorer 11 with Windows 10. I had turned off my location in the Windows setting, but couldn’t find the box to click in windows settings about location. As roaming zebra indicated, you can still get RSS feeds from Thunderbird. I subscribed to the boogleheads podcast and one NPR podcast above. The advertisement for the SAME episode of the NPR podcast above from the Thunderbird feed was from a national source. The Thunderbird feed contains the website to stream the podcast, a text description of the podcast and the attachment than contains the mp3 file. From this result, I have concluded that somewhere on my computer I did not turn off my location indicator. Yes, downloading mp3 is clunking, but I like to choose what I listen to.

Although I tried to get rid of Edge but couldn’t, I didn’t pay much attention to Edge until some location-specific info starting popping up on my task bar. It seems the new update in Windows 10 allows Edge to display locally-specific “your interest” on the taskbar. Perhaps my location in Edge is available to Explorer, when I download podcast. I went into Edge and adjusted privacy options, and turned off all my Edge “interest”. We will see if the advertisers from the Explorer feeds are national or local specific.

In order to see if Thunderbird is an option, I plan to subscribe to a feed from a more commercial national newspaper. I will monitor what types of email I get and what types of advertising I get in my Firefox bookmarks.
sam1838

Post by sam1838 »

I guess someone could point out how this is wrong, but if I was obsessed with podcast privacy I would:
Use a VPN.
Open a fresh Incognito window.
Listen on the Stitcher website.

No login... no app... just free streaming in a fresh web browser through a VPN.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Sam_78 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:49 pm More concerning would be using a Google phone, using gmail or Google. I use iPhone, duck duck go and o365 for email and docs for some amount of privacy.
IPhones are great phones. But what makes you think that Apple tracks you significantly less than Google does? If anything, my impression is that Android users have more control over their phones' functions than iPhone users.

To a large extent, you can't hide these days. Unless you want to go completely off the grid, in which case you would probably stand out even more.

Sadly, functioning well in 21st century society requires abdicating a lot of control over the 20th century privacy that we have become used to and highly value. My feeling is live with it, complain about it, hate it...just don't do anything stupid.

As people age, they need to stay contemporary. Otherwise they start gathering moss. (A 19 year old with purple hair told me that when I was in my mid-thirties in response to my musical tastes, and I never forgot it. We can learn a lot from young people.)
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

protagonist wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:57 am
Sam_78 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:49 pm More concerning would be using a Google phone, using gmail or Google. I use iPhone, duck duck go and o365 for email and docs for some amount of privacy.
IPhones are great phones. But what makes you think that Apple tracks you significantly less than Google does? If anything, my impression is that Android users have more control over their phones' functions than iPhone users.

To a large extent, you can't hide these days. Unless you want to go completely off the grid, in which case you would probably stand out even more.
My understanding is that Google is in the business of collecting personal data and selling it - they offer free services in exchange for building an advertising profile of you, and of course the government is free to buy that data as well. Apple is in the business of selling hardware and paid for services. I expect Apple to keep my data inside their control for the most part and they at least try to give the impression they do that.

Cellular provider will sell location data to almost any 3rd party (repo man, govt agency) - this is an issue that needs to be fixed ASAP imho. Smartphone OS can't fix that.

I'm not an android user, so I could be wrong, but many of their default apps are tied into Google services and they may encourage phone makers to deliver them that way. Maybe my information is outdated, but I really don't trust an advertising company to have direct access into all my online activities basically a direct tap into all the activities and questions on my mind. I'd like to make it as hard as possible for them at least - and I don't feel that I am sacrificing much by paying for services of about $10/mo and using Duck Duck Go for search. My main concern is health info, doctors visits being gather via maps, email, search and calendar info. This data being fed to other companies or employers to use it to profile me in the future or manipulate me for profit. This is an interesting take of data and privacy and how it could be different - https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... anier.html - he's an odd duck but these are interesting ideas.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

chemocean wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:29 am I prefer the old internet were the user pulled data rather than news and advertising is being pushed to you. That is why I prefer Explorer to Edge. I will spend a limited time fighting this trend in my personal use, but I realize I am the customer if I am not paying ( I do support several NPR stations)

I realized my NPR podcasts were inserting local advertising because the advertiser changed to a health care center in a town I was visiting.
As I mentioned in the OP, I use RSS feeds in Explorer 11 with Windows 10. I had turned off my location in the Windows setting, but couldn’t find the box to click in windows settings about location. As roaming zebra indicated, you can still get RSS feeds from Thunderbird. I subscribed to the boogleheads podcast and one NPR podcast above. The advertisement for the SAME episode of the NPR podcast above from the Thunderbird feed was from a national source. The Thunderbird feed contains the website to stream the podcast, a text description of the podcast and the attachment than contains the mp3 file. From this result, I have concluded that somewhere on my computer I did not turn off my location indicator. Yes, downloading mp3 is clunking, but I like to choose what I listen to.

Although I tried to get rid of Edge but couldn’t, I didn’t pay much attention to Edge until some location-specific info starting popping up on my task bar. It seems the new update in Windows 10 allows Edge to display locally-specific “your interest” on the taskbar. Perhaps my location in Edge is available to Explorer, when I download podcast. I went into Edge and adjusted privacy options, and turned off all my Edge “interest”. We will see if the advertisers from the Explorer feeds are national or local specific.

In order to see if Thunderbird is an option, I plan to subscribe to a feed from a more commercial national newspaper. I will monitor what types of email I get and what types of advertising I get in my Firefox bookmarks.
I wouldn't think I'd find anyone preferring Microsoft Internet Explorer over Microsoft Edge ;-) I'll take Edge (or Chrome or Firefox) for better performance, better compliance with standards, better stability, better security. Do note that IE's last version is slated for retirement in 2022. As a software developer, I've been waiting many long years for MS to retire IE :!:

Anyway, I don't really know if IE make you less susceptible to privacy intrusions and/or advertising being pushed to you. Maybe it does, I'm not sure. But as noted elsewhere, some podcast providers will put in area-specific advertisements based on your computer's IP (Internet Protocol) address, and not just because they're monitoring "you" or your "you-ness".

Note that when you tell your browser not to share your location, that's only telling it not to share one kind of location. Why? Well, the way the internet works is that every packet going to and fro has a "source" and "destination" IP address in it. Those addresses are used to make sure your data goes to the right server, and the server's responses come back to your computer. There are databases that contain mappings of IP addresses to a geo location (not street level, but town or neighborhood). One reason these mappings are relatively accurate is that ISPs usually assign an IP address based on the geographic location of their customers. And, by using such a database, web sites you visit can figure out your general location. Once they know your general location, they can customize the content you asked for (like an advertisement in a podcast).

Here's something you can try:
1. Visit https://www.whatsmyip.org/ It will tell you what you external IP address is. Remember it.
2. Visit https://www.whatsmyip.org/ip-geo-location/ and enter the external IP address and click "Show location".
Was it pretty close?

Hope that helps.
candb

Post by candb »

chemocean wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:13 am For a number of years, I have used RSS subscribes in MS Explorer to download my podcasts as MP3 files to transfer to my MP3 player. I recently learned that currently only MS Explorer supports RSS subscriptions. The podcast industry has been converted to social media, such as ITunes, Google play, Sticher, etc.. In Explorer, I delete all cookies and website data upon exiting the program. I don't want my podcast download load activity to be tracked, except maybe by the podcast supplier.
In a few cases, I have been able to go to google play and subscribe to RSS subscription which brings up the .xlm text in Firefox, because Firefox doesn't support RSS. Hidden in the text is the RSS link URL that has allowed me to paste the URL link into MS explorer and continue to RSS subscribe. THe only activity for which I use Explorer is downloading podcasts.

Is there a podcast service that has more privacy than the social media giants? I understand the concept, that if you are not paying for the service, YOU are the product.
try AntennaPod
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Sadly, functioning well in 21st century society requires abdicating a lot of control over the 20th century privacy that we have become used to and highly value. My feeling is live with it, complain about it, hate it...just don't do anything stupid.

As people age, they need to stay contemporary. Otherwise they start gathering moss. (A 19 year old with purple hair told me that when I was in my mid-thirties in response to my musical tastes, and I never forgot it. We can learn a lot from young people.)
Both Google and Apple will let you download a copy of all the information they have on you. I was astonished at how much google has on me….. every google voice call,I’ve ever had, (using my google voice phone number) not just dates, times, and numbers, but the actual audio of the entire call.

Google also has awful lot of geographic locations I’ve been too, etc etc.

Apple had far less.

But I applaud them for at least making that available to see…..
Topic Author
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

sycamore wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:34 pm
chemocean wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:29 am I prefer the old internet were the user pulled data rather than news and advertising is being pushed to you. That is why I prefer Explorer to Edge. I will spend a limited time fighting this trend in my personal use, but I realize I am the customer if I am not paying ( I do support several NPR stations)

I wouldn't think I'd find anyone preferring Microsoft Internet Explorer over Microsoft Edge ;-) I'll take Edge (or Chrome or Firefox) for better performance, better compliance with standards, better stability, better security. Do note that IE's last version is slated for retirement in 2022. As a software developer, I've been waiting many long years for MS to retire IE :!:

Anyway, I don't really know if IE make you less susceptible to privacy intrusions and/or advertising being pushed to you. Maybe it does, I'm not sure. But as noted elsewhere, some podcast providers will put in area-specific advertisements based on your computer's IP (Internet Protocol) address, and not just because they're monitoring "you" or your "you-ness".

Note that when you tell your browser not to share your location, that's only telling it not to share one kind of location. Why? Well, the way the internet works is that every packet going to and fro has a "source" and "destination" IP address in it. Those addresses are used to make sure your data goes to the right server, and the server's responses come back to your computer. There are databases that contain mappings of IP addresses to a geo location (not street level, but town or neighborhood). One reason these mappings are relatively accurate is that ISPs usually assign an IP address based on the geographic location of their customers. And, by using such a database, web sites you visit can figure out your general location. Once they know your general location, they can customize the content you asked for (like an advertisement in a podcast).

Here's something you can try:
1. Visit https://www.whatsmyip.org/ It will tell you what you external IP address is. Remember it.
2. Visit https://www.whatsmyip.org/ip-geo-location/ and enter the external IP address and click "Show location".
Was it pretty close?

Hope that helps.
Thanks sycamore for the tutorial. As I indicated, I only use IE for downloading podcast, because it is the only browser that still supports RSS feeds.
I knew about geofencing for internet services (i.e. Locast), but I thought it was through my location settings in Windows and my browsers, not my ISP address.

You are correct, my general location was defined by my ISP address using the websites above. From a privacy standpoint, knowing that advertisers are only getting a general location makes feel a little more secure.

It is interesting, that the advertisements from the RSS feeds on IE (local) are different that the mp3 attachments from the feeds in Thunderbird (national)
Topic Author
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

Normchad wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:23 pm

Both Google and Apple will let you download a copy of all the information they have on you. I was astonished at how much google has on me….. every google voice call,I’ve ever had, (using my google voice phone number) not just dates, times, and numbers, but the actual audio of the entire call.

Apple had far less.

How do you download the data? Through your google and apple accounts when you are signed it?
Do you have to be logged into Google and Apple for them to collect data or do they collect data by your ISP address every time you use Google?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

chemocean wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:00 pm

Apple had far less.

How do you download the data? Through your google and apple accounts when you are signed it?
Do you have to be logged into Google and Apple for them to collect data or do they collect data by your ISP address every time you use Google?
This link looks to have instructions: https://www.maketecheasier.com/how-to-d ... d-twitter/
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

Normchad wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:23 pm I was astonished at how much google has on me….. every google voice call,I’ve ever had, (using my google voice phone number) not just dates, times, and numbers, but the actual audio of the entire call.
Audio of the entire call is very troubling. I use GV to call Vanguard for example.
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

Normchad wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:10 pm
chemocean wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:00 pm

Apple had far less.

This link looks to have instructions: https://www.maketecheasier.com/how-to-d ... d-twitter/
If you use Chrome as your browser, you may notice in the top right corner that you are logged in. They don’t seem to log you out unless you explicitly log out. That said, there is probably enough signal to know it’s you even if logged out.
bogcir

Post by bogcir »

Apple has specifically made it harder for companies to track people. It’s a big divide in tech. Facebook and google being adversely affected.

Now, the cynical amongst you might say that they are doing it as a sales tactic, but regardless they are more privacy conscious.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/27/2240 ... ebook-data
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

At some level this info probably helps both the podcaster and you. Did people like my last episode? Did they all tune out when I asked an annoying question to my interviewer? It’s not just about ads.

That data isn’t really tied to your personally-identifiable information for all to see, it’s just hashed and aggregated somewhere as a number in a column

Also I believe it’s incorrect that Google voice by default stores call audio. Rather, it’s an option you have to turn on for each individual call, like any other way you record a call.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

bogcir wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:09 am
Now, the cynical amongst you might say that they are doing it as a sales tactic,
Correct, because Apple has ads too in search for the App Store. They are just making it harder for their competition to use their hardware for ads, while they themselves build an ad business. And then for the privilege of getting a new iOS user, companies then have to pay 30% in perpetuity to Apple (see Spotify, fortnite legal battles)
Topic Author
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

muffins14 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:32 am At some level this info probably helps both the podcaster and you. Did people like my last episode? Did they all tune out when I asked an annoying question to my interviewer? It’s not just about ads.

That data isn’t really tied to your personally-identifiable information for all to see, it’s just hashed and aggregated somewhere as a number in a column

Also I believe it’s incorrect that Google voice by default stores call audio. Rather, it’s an option you have to turn on for each individual call, like any other way you record a call.
I download the mp3 file that I want, so the only data that they get from me is whether I downloaded the podcast based on the text description.