possible termites

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nyc10036

possible termites

Post by Nyc10036 »

I found 3 piles that appears to be termite fecal matter.
from this website : https://thrasherpestcontrol.com/drywood ... droppings/

I initially thought it was coffee grounds or brown dirt similar to ant hills.
They are not ant hills because there were no ants.

I vaccumed up the piles yesterday, but there seemed to be some more at one of the original places today.

These piles were on top of the cinder blocks in the garage where the drywall meets the cinder blocks.

The consensus from this other BH thread is to call in the pros?
viewtopic.php?t=342596

I am stressing out.
fabdog

Re: possible termites

Post by fabdog »

If you suspect termites... call in the pros. Do you have an annual inspection or a pest control company you normally use?

Mike
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

call an exterminator. What do you what us to do for you?
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

By all means, call the pros. When I found the evidence I was advised to call 3 different exterminators an get estimates. I did and glad I did. initial output was slightly less than 2k for an around-home treatment with a product I thin was called Termidor. Involved drilling holes in concert driveway and sidewalks. It was worth every penny. They come annually for inspection. I did notify the neighbors that they should be on the lookout for evidence.
Good Luck...and don't wait because they can do monumental damage.
Topic Author
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

BIGal wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:54 pm By all means, call the pros. When I found the evidence I was advised to call 3 different exterminators an get estimates. I did and glad I did. initial output was slightly less than 2k for an around-home treatment with a product I thin was called Termidor. Involved drilling holes in concert driveway and sidewalks. It was worth every penny. They come annually for inspection. I did notify the neighbors that they should be on the lookout for evidence.
Which 3 exterminators did you call?
There are so many.

Which company did you end up using?
fabdog

Post by fabdog »

you can go with one of the national outfits... neighbor used Terminex and was happy. Rest of folks on the street (including me) use a couple of local firms that have been in business for a while.

If you have Nextdoor you can search there for local recommendations, or as a secondary thing try Angi (used to be Angie's list) or even Yelp.

Ask your neighbors who they've been happy with

Mike
rascott

Post by rascott »

Nyc10036 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:09 pm
BIGal wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:54 pm By all means, call the pros. When I found the evidence I was advised to call 3 different exterminators an get estimates. I did and glad I did. initial output was slightly less than 2k for an around-home treatment with a product I thin was called Termidor. Involved drilling holes in concert driveway and sidewalks. It was worth every penny. They come annually for inspection. I did notify the neighbors that they should be on the lookout for evidence.
Which 3 exterminators did you call?
There are so many.

Which company did you end up using?

Find a local pest control company. They all do more or less the same thing. Perimeter system around your property.... which they then come and refill each year. Last one I did was about $1200, then $85/yr after that.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Call Terminix last. Call the other pest control companies first so you will have an idea on local prices vs National chain. I used the national chain, they will tout their warranty but it’s only as good for as long as you get them to inspect annually after treatment. My home had been treated by previous home owners using the Dow Sentricon cylinder system and insert chemicals down long holes drilled into the subfloors. They eradicated the problem and had subsequent check ups for about 10 years afterwards. Each time no sign of activity. After a while exterminator stopped coming out.
I had as a precaution used Terminix to apply Termidor. Terminix is now using the cylinder method because they realized Termidor (same active ingredient as the Frontline flea and tick collar) had a long lived presence in the ground soil, longer than the 10 year warranty of their plan. The cylinder requires annual maintenance of refreshing the bait.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Topic Author
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

I am going to wait a couple of days to see if the piles of termite pellets reappear.
And if they do take some photos and also have the exterminators come in to estimate.

How do I know if the exterminators I have come in will tell me truth if it isn't termites but something else?
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

look above the piles for any wood, for tiny holes in that wood.

I agree with calling in the pros, but for spot treatment, I've had good luck with:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectracide ... /100062166

Just stick the nozzle in the tiny holes and open fire.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Dry wood termites in the studs or sill plate. Slow eaters.
If it was Formosa or ground they’d be mud tubes. Fast eaters.
Call the pros before they turn your framing to paper.

Often see these piles under doors
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

Big Dog wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:11 pm look above the piles for any wood, for tiny holes in that wood.

I agree with calling in the pros, but for spot treatment, I've had good luck with:

There aren't holes, but the caulk is "missing" at the joint between the drywall and the concrete blocks.
The piles are there.
Since I don't have a photo yet, see the crude drawing below.
the drywall sits about 3" 'behind' the face of the concrete blocks
==== represents the caulk
XX marks the pile

Code: Select all

drywall
===========XX==============
 concrete  ||  concrete 
   block   ||  block

Last edited by Nyc10036 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
illumination

Post by illumination »

I think people freak out at the mention of termites when the reality is, it's just not usually that big of a deal. I've had some issues in the past, someone comes out, and about 30 minutes later, it's dealt with.

But people spend crazy amounts of money on insurance policies in fear of it.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Could be dry wood termites or carpenter ants. Take this seriously and get 2-3 pest company pros to do an inspection. The small evidence you see could be very local only and limited to a small section, or the same small evidence could only be 5% of the total hidden damage in the walls, floor, and ceiling.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Nyc10036 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:20 pm
Big Dog wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:11 pm look above the piles for any wood, for tiny holes in that wood.

There aren't holes, but the caulk is "missing" at the joint between the drywall and the concrete blocks.
The piles are there.
Since I don't have a photo yet, see the crude drawing below.
the drywall sits about 3" 'behind' the face of the concrete blocks
==== represents the caulk
XX marks the pile

Code: Select all

drywall
===========XX==============
 concrete  ||  concrete 
   block   ||  block

Termites eat wood, so you need to figure out where teh food source is. The spectracide product is pretty mild so you can spray it in cracks under the caulk, assuming there is a piece of wood underneath.
Imadeit

Post by Imadeit »

I once had termites in a bedroom wall. They made tiny holes in the sheet rock and pushed out the pebbles. Hired a major termite chain. They tented the house. Cost over $1500.00. A month later I still have termites in the same room and same location. The same termite chain came out and drilled holes in the wall studs and on each side of the studs. Used a termite foam and sprayed into the holes. No more termites for 12 years. Recently had termites in the same room but a different stud. This time I purchased the termite spray foam and drilled holes. The cost was $60 for two cans. I only used one can. No more termite activity. If I see more I’ll use the other can. You can google the spot treatment and see a video how they do a spot treatment.