Mattress Shopping - What a joke

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FOGU

Mattress Shopping - What a joke

Post by FOGU »

Shopping for mattresses is a joke. The possibilities and price ranges are endless.
My market: Twin beds for kids. Queen bed for couple.
Anyone have good knowledge and experience? What is real and what is [expletive removed by admin LadyGeek]? What are the true criteria?
Normchad

Re: Mattress Shopping - What a joke

Post by Normchad »

You’re 100% right. I haven’t figured it out.

There is a website that might help. I think it’s called “sleeplike the dead”. They seem to have a lot of unbiased info about tons and tons of beds…..

I find it infuriating…..my only tip now is to always buy a bed with a no questions asked money back guarantee…..
sport

Post by sport »

We have been using this company and have been satisfied with the products and prices: https://www.originalmattress.com/
jumppilot

Post by jumppilot »

FOGU wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:00 pm Shopping for mattresses is a joke. The possibilities and price ranges are endless.
My market: Twin beds for kids. Queen bed for couple.
Anyone have good knowledge and experience? What is real and what is BS? What are the true criteria?
Costco bed in a box, with the appropriate mattress topper also from Costco.

Don’t like it? Take it back.
squirm

Post by squirm »

It's a necessary evil that for whatever reason the government hasn't cracked down on (similar to hearing aids). Fortunately we don't have to mattress shop too often.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Kids can sleep on anything and also wet the bed, so don't stress over it too much.
leeks

Post by leeks »

I only know what I like, no idea what you would like.

For cheap foam firm mattresses with not-the-worst-toxic-materials, I like Ikea. You can go try them in person. We have the ones named Morgedal ($250 for a Queen, $180 for a Twin). Not "memory foam" because it is too sweaty. But they do have memory foam and latex options. The Ikea standard foam things are vacuum packed and rolled up and I could easily lift them into my car (they also ship) and set them up on a second floor all by myself. Convenient. Easy. Cheap. Firm. Great for our guest bed and for our vacation home. May not be comfortable anymore after 5+ years. Another key comfort factor for us is mattress pad that helps with temperature regulation. Ikea's lyocell-filled ones are affordable and good enough.

For our everyday stuff, I am a sucker for "natural" materials (prefer to avoid chemicals that can offgas or cause irritation). We like true firm mattresses and have a made-in-USA cotton-filled mattress wrapped in wool at our primary residence. It is the Dreamton model from White Lotus Home (we lived in Jersey when we bought it so they were a locally manufactured option).
https://www.whitelotushome.com/ It is very heavy and hard for even two people to move around. Was about $600 on sale but that was a decade ago and prices are higher now. But it has durable, simple materials that I understand, and no flame-retardant chemicals are necessary because the wool naturally has that feature. We use a washable silk-filled mattress pad on that one. We are very pleased with that setup.

We are going to wait until kids are older (well past "accidents") to also get them "real" cotton/wool mattresses. The Ikea ones are fine for them for now.

We do not like mattresses where you sink in. We feel - without any supporting evidence - that firm is better for one's body. Most US mattresses sold as "firm" are still too soft for us. Ikea "firm" is based on European taste and so it is firmer (at least until the foam wears out eventually). The cotton-wrapped-in-wool is very firm, most Americans would say it is too hard and doesn't match the type of mattress they are used to. I like to be able to sit down on the corner of my bed. At most airbnbs we have stayed at in recent years, if you sit on the corner of the bed you slide onto the floor because it is the soft foam with no corner support and it just collapses.

I assume the proliferation of online mattress companies these days is attributable to the rise of foam mattresses that can be squished small and shipped in a box that fed ex or ups can deliver. The old style inner-spring mattress/ box spring combo requires special freight shipping and labor to carry up to a bedroom.
Last edited by leeks on Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.
aj44

Post by aj44 »

My mattress shopping begins and ends at Tempurpedic with the Tempur-Breeze.

I have trouble sleeping on any other mattress when traveling. On vacations I look for places that have a Tempur-pedic bed.
invest4

Post by invest4 »

Try the online bed-in-a-box stores. Free trials and they pick them up if you don’t like it. Buy a few of them at once so you can start the clock and choose what you want.
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

OP, you're right. Totally bogus. I bought a $3500 online mattress b/c reviews were stellar. It was horrible, couldn't get used it...literally worse than my couch . Thankfully they took it back. My advice, do not buy online; try it out in a local mattress store. As far as prices, I don't know where they come up with it. I tried one of those reclining mattresses at Texas state fair in '19, and the salesman gave me a $17k quote, no joke.
Last edited by bi0hazard on Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

aj44 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:42 pm My mattress shopping begins and ends at Tempurpedic with the Tempur-Breeze.

I have trouble sleeping on any other mattress when traveling. On vacations I look for places that have a Tempur-pedic bed.
Whoa.
$5k sticker price for a queen that is "8 degrees cooler."
I can't.
Just can't.
TJat

Post by TJat »

Mattress underground is the Mecca of mattress knowledge. The gist is that anything you buy that’s a common brand name in a fancy showroom is overpriced garbage that will sag prematurely. In my experience, bed in a box brands are the best. My current mattress is from BrooklynBedding, but unfortunately a discontinued model.

No reason why you can’t get a best in class king mattress for under 2k. A brand name made of gold gilded unicorn tears and diamond space rocks is probably listed at 8k but is just not a good mattress most likely. Certainly not s good value.
Topic Author
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

bi0hazard wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:47 pm My advice, do not buy online; try it out in a local mattress store.
Yes.
My problem is that I am moving with my family (two small kids) and we are going to arrive at our new house in the USA, at night, after some long days of travel, and we need to have beds in place on arrival. So unfortunately mattress test drives are not feasible.

I'm liking the Ikea suggestion from leeks. Inexpensive and if they are not right we can upgrade later when we find a more permanent crib.

Thanks!
Topic Author
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

leeks wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:24 pm I only know what I like, no idea what you would like.

For cheap foam firm mattresses with not-the-worst-toxic-materials, I like Ikea. You can go try them in person. We have the ones named Morgedal ($250 for a Queen, $180 for a Twin). Not "memory foam" because it is too sweaty. But they do have memory foam and latex options. The Ikea standard foam things are vacuum packed and rolled up and I could easily lift them into my car (they also ship) and set them up on a second floor all by myself. Convenient. Easy. Cheap. Firm. Great for our guest bed and for our vacation home. May not be comfortable anymore after 5+ years. Another key comfort factor for us is mattress pad that helps with temperature regulation. Ikea's lyocell-filled ones are affordable and good enough.

For our everyday stuff, I am a sucker for "natural" materials (prefer to avoid chemicals that can offgas or cause irritation). We like true firm mattresses and have a made-in-USA cotton-filled mattress wrapped in wool at our primary residence. It is the Dreamton model from White Lotus Home (we lived in Jersey when we bought it so they were a locally manufactured option).
https://www.whitelotushome.com/ It is very heavy and hard for even two people to move around. Was about $600 on sale but that was a decade ago and prices are higher now. But it has durable, simple materials that I understand, and no flame-retardant chemicals are necessary because the wool naturally has that feature. We use a washable silk-filled mattress pad on that one. We are very pleased with that setup.

We are going to wait until kids are older (well past "accidents") to also get them "real" cotton/wool mattresses. The Ikea ones are fine for them for now.

We do not like mattresses where you sink in. We feel - without any supporting evidence - that firm is better for one's body. Most US mattresses sold as "firm" are still too soft for us. Ikea "firm" is based on European taste and so it is firmer (at least until the foam wears out eventually). The cotton-wrapped-in-wool is very firm, most Americans would say it is too hard and doesn't match the type of mattress they are used to. I like to be able to sit down on the corner of my bed. At most airbnbs we have stayed at in recent years, if you sit on the corner of the bed you slide onto the floor because it is the soft foam with no corner support and it just collapses.

I assume the proliferation of online mattress companies these days is attributable to the rise of foam mattresses that can be squished small and shipped in a box that fed ex or ups can deliver. The old style inner-spring mattress/ box spring combo requires special freight shipping and labor to carry up to a bedroom.
Thorough and helpful as usual, leeks.
Thank you.
aj44

Post by aj44 »

FOGU wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:51 pm
aj44 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:42 pm My mattress shopping begins and ends at Tempurpedic with the Tempur-Breeze.

Whoa.
$5k sticker price for a queen that is "8 degrees cooler."
I can't.
Just can't.
I just couldn't with a Queen either, I got a King.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

The advice in this thread is very confusing. Some say to always buy online, while others say to never buy online.
bampf

Post by bampf »

FOGU wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:04 pm
bi0hazard wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:47 pm My advice, do not buy online; try it out in a local mattress store.
Yes.
My problem is that I am moving with my family (two small kids) and we are going to arrive at our new house in the USA, at night, after some long days of travel, and we need to have beds in place on arrival. So unfortunately mattress test drives are not feasible.

I'm liking the Ikea suggestion from leeks. Inexpensive and if they are not right we can upgrade later when we find a more permanent crib.

Thanks!
This. Exact same situation. We did the same thing. Ikea was good enough for a bit. We then went with Saatva.
Nescio
staustin

Post by staustin »

We followed the advice of a poster some weeks back who linked Amazon pages for a tuft and needle hybrid mattress, a latex mattress topper and also a pillow topper, bamboo cooling sheets. All in cost around 1200. I'll find it and link it. Simply fantastic.
squirm

Post by squirm »

bi0hazard wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:47 pm OP, you're right. Totally bogus. I bought a $3500 online mattress b/c reviews were stellar. It was horrible, couldn't get used it...literally worse than my couch . Thankfully they took it back. My advice, do not buy online; try it out in a local mattress store. As far as prices, I don't know where they come up with it. I tried one of those reclining mattresses at Texas state fair in '19, and the salesman gave me a $17k quote, no joke.
This is the problem with reviews. Everyone is so different regarding comfort for mattresses, chairs, couches, etc that I just wouldn't have any faith in how others rate them. IMO the best thing to do is to shop at the stores and lay on them and read all the return policy fine print. If it feels right at the store, it still takes a few weeks sleeping on it to really figure out if a mattress is going to work out or not.
squirm

Post by squirm »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:11 pm The advice in this thread is very confusing. Some say to always buy online, while others say to never buy online.
Depends on the age. Younger people can sleep on rocks and wake up just fine. But some like myself need to find just the right mattress.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Buy one of the online only mattresses. I bought tuft and needle a while ago for 600 bucks - very happy with it years later. There are several mattress options that you can try for 100 days and return if you don't like it - they will send someone to pickup and donate it.

Easy peasy
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

A firm mattress from Ikea. Don't overthink it, the mattress is one of the lowest ranked items contributing to a good night's sleep. Since I live in the US, I see people sleeping like babies on concrete outdoors every day.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
ckelly78z

Post by ckelly78z »

I have gotten really lucky in the respect to bed mattresses, I still enjoy my full motion California King water bed that I have had for 25 years now, before that I had a used queen full motion WB for another 20 years. I have had to replace 1 mattress, and 2 heaters in that 40 years for a grand total cost of less than $1000 for all of it including purchase price.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:11 pm The advice in this thread is very confusing. Some say to always buy online, while others say to never buy online.
YMMV?
Yeah, even "trying it out in the store" won't tell you enough because it's not like they're going to let you spend 8 hours on the thing trying to sleep. :D

One thing frequent travelers might like - occasionally you stay in a hotel where the mattress is spot-on perfect. Many times they have some sort of program with their supplier where you can order the same thing.

Cheers.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (rant). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.