Luggage for roof of car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cookiegirl

Luggage for roof of car

Post by Cookiegirl »

Hi, we will be moving from NY to Fl next month, our car will be packed with pets and other things that can’t go in the moving truck. Any suggestions on attaching luggage to the roof? We have a 2014 Honda CRV, can we rent such items?
We’re looking like the Beverly Hillbillies!
Thanks
livesoft

Re: Luggage for roof of car

Post by livesoft »

Straps are inexpensive to buy at a big box place like HomeDepot. One could buy a blue tarp there as well to wrap and hold any luggage that you want to put on your roof. Do not put a dog crate up there with your dog in it. I assume you already have a roof rack for your CRV.

I didn't look, but I think YouTube would be a much better place to get your question(s) answered as many people must have already posted videos of how to do this.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Cookiegirl

Post by Cookiegirl »

Thank you, I’ll check YouTube now.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

BTW, I have a CRV, but it doesn't have a roof rack. My other SUVs came with roof racks. Maybe you don't have a roof rack. Yakima and Thule are common brands of after-market owner-installed roof racks. I had a very nice Thule roof rack for my bikes decades ago.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Cookiegirl wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:34 pm Hi, we will be moving from NY to Fl next month, our car will be packed with pets and other things that can’t go in the moving truck. Any suggestions on attaching luggage to the roof? We have a 2014 Honda CRV, can we rent such items?
We’re looking like the Beverly Hillbillies!
Thanks
Do use a waterproof system, such as a soft-bag or hard-shell, not a tarp. The odds of you making it there without getting rained on is low.

Another option would be the smallest enclosed U-haul to put things in.

At night, leave nothing of value inside or on your CRV, or in a trailer if you go that route. Keep that in mind when you select a place for the night, as it's a pain to drag a lot of stuff a long distance or up and down stairs. Be very cautious of heat buildup in the car when stopped. It's best to never leave the car unattended in the sun with pets inside, not even for 5 minutes. Someone might break a window to attempt a rescue. Do everything in shifts.
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

We have used a soft shell bag that straps on top of the car. Useful for that yearly trip to put large items into - and then packs away easily. Also does effect your gas mileage like a rack if you purchased one and left it on.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Cookiegirl wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:34 pm ....can we rent such items?
It had been years since I have used one but they make soft car top carriers that are vaguely like an oversize duffle bag. I have used both hard and soft car top carriers but I preferred the soft since they were easier to store when you were not using it. If you get in heavy rain both hard and soft ones will likely leak so make sure you wrap things in waterproof bags.

I would guess that the soft ones might only cost in the ballpark of $100 so there is no sense in renting one, if you even could.

They will have have straps and brackets for attaching it to your door frame or luggage racks. You need to research what type of bracket you need with your car.

One problem with luggage on the roof is you would need to figure out what to do with it at night when you are at a hotel since it will not be secure. You may want to take a small step stool with you to make loading and unloading it easier.

Read your car owners manual to make sure that you do not overload the car with too much weight.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Does the CRV have a tow hitch? If so, carriers and bags are available, some with a weight limit up to 500 lbs. Slightly safer than a rooftop carrier, Imho.
Topic Author
Cookiegirl

Roof racks

Post by Cookiegirl »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Hi, we are looking to purchase a roof rack for our 2014 Honda CRV, we are driving to Florida and need extra space for some items since our kitties will be taking up the entire back seat and trunk,
Any advice on how and where to purchase?
Thanks
RickBoglehead

Re: Roof racks

Post by RickBoglehead »

Find a CRV forum and see what they recommend.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

I've used etrailer before with good results. If you get a good system, like Thule or Yamaka use can buy just new feet when you change vehicles and reuse the legs and crossbars. Ive been using the same bats and legs since roughly the 90's. Figure on $400 and up for a setup.
Regards | Bob
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

Cookiegirl wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:50 pm Hi, we are looking to purchase a roof rack for our 2014 Honda CRV, we are driving to Florida and need extra space for some items since our kitties will be taking up the entire back seat and trunk,
Any advice on how and where to purchase?
Thanks
I have a 2018 CR-V. I got the Honda OEM roof rack but got a Thule cargo box. Worked great for road trips. You can order the roof racks online to save a bit in costs.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Cookiegirl - In order to give appropriate advice, it's best to keep all the info in one spot. I merged your update back into the original thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

bob60014 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:08 pm Does the CRV have a tow hitch? If so, carriers and bags are available, some with a weight limit up to 500 lbs. Slightly safer than a rooftop carrier, Imho.
If you have a trailer hitch, something like this, at $62.99

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-ca ... 66983.html

might be more cost-effective, and easier to access. Looks like they offer models for up to 750 pounds load weight.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Cookiegirl wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:34 pm ... moving from NY to Fl next month, our car will be packed with pets and other things that can’t go in the moving truck. Any suggestions on attaching luggage to the roof? ...
Just pack super light. The drive from NY to FL is not that far. You can get by with a toothbrush and change of underwear. If something is too valuable to go in the moving truck, you definitely don't want to put it on the roof. I've been looking at cargo box and roof rack systems for more regular ski trips and camping, but still having a hard time justifying the nearly $1,000 cost between the box and the rack system.
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

I just priced a set of crossbars and a roof basket for our 2011 crv on Amazon. Total was ~$220. Combine with a cheap waterproof luggage bag and you’re good without dropping 1k+. May be able to sell 2nd hand after :)